PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading recent purchase of 3GS to the IP4

NHWoody
Jun 16, 2010, 03:54 PM
I purchased a 3GS on 5/26 from the Apple store, only 13 days before the IP4 was announced. I returned to the store and asked if I could upgrade to the IP4 since it was still within Apple's the 14 day return period. They told me that I had 30 days to return it (not 14 as is printed on the back of the sales receipt) and that I could reserve one online on the 15th. Unfortunately, I was told that I was ineligible for the upgrade (because I still have 23.5 months left in my new contract). I have a growing concern that the 30 day policy isn't real so when I go back to the store they'll neither upgrade the phone nor refund $100 because of the price drop! Can anyone verify the 30 day return policy?

ndocds
Jun 18, 2010, 09:13 PM
I would return it and demand my upgrade and full refund.

Regardless of how much the fun is now it's not much you paid for it.

and correct me if im wrong thats a FEDERAL law.

To my understanding 14days without a restocking free is standard.

skinsone
Jun 19, 2010, 09:56 AM
The iPhone has a thirty day return policy. Individual store policy varies on restocking fee after 14 days.

You will need to contact ATT asap. Let them know you are returning the 3GS and purchasing an I4. They will put a note in your account known as "buyers remorse". If you cannot purchase a I4 prior to your 30 day return with ATT, purchase a go phone from ATT, transfer your number and THEN return the 3GS to Apple. It can take 24-72 hours for the ATT system to change your eligibility in the system. Once this happens, purchase your I4 and ATT will transfer your number from the go phone. No charge for transferring your number from phone to phone.

If you have to get the go phone, you will lose your data plan on your 3GS automatically. This only matters if you had the unlimited data plan prior to the 3GS.

Yep, we are doing the same as you so I went through close to five hours on the phone with ATT (with supervisors) and Apple and then speaking directly with the managers of both at their stores at my local mall. Both ATT and Apple are fully aware of these situations and have been fine tuning this.

My 30 days is up July 8 and if I can't get the I4 by then, I have to purchase a go phone to keep my number I ported into ATT on the 3GS.