PDA

View Full Version : Import iBook from US to UK - Help!! (Plus more questions)

dogday
Oct 20, 2004, 04:50 AM
Hey guys. Im an American currently getting educated in the UK. I am wanting to get the new 12" iBook but need advice on the hardware issuses.

First what should I do about the voltage?

Secondly I will be getting the Airport basestation, again will it work here?

Also, being an american student, albeit being educated in the UK as part of a ferign exchange, will I be able to use the Education scheme? If so how will my brother (who will be buying and briging over) get this in an Apple Store?

Thanks guys

(im sure I have more questions but im too tired now :p)

garybUK
Oct 20, 2004, 05:09 AM
Hey guys. Im an American currently getting educated in the UK. I am wanting to get the new 12" iBook but need advice on the hardware issuses.

First what should I do about the voltage?

Secondly I will be getting the Airport basestation, again will it work here?

Voltages - No problem, they nearly all are auto-switching between 110@60hz to 250v@50hz so you just need a US 2 Pin - UK 3 Pin + Fuse mains plug (travel kits, or buy a portable radio lead in the UK).

Airport Basestations, the only difference iirc is in Europe there are 13 channels, i think there are less in the US that can be used and Apple's are autoselecting anyway so no worries here.

If you are using Dial-Up modem then remember to get a US - UK Telephone adaptor also available from most good retailers and even most supermarkets in the UK, im not actually sure if the US modems are BAPT approved, if not then it's illegal to plug them into the UK BT Network.

dogday
Oct 20, 2004, 05:19 AM
Thanks Gary. Does the Airport Extreme base station need to be plugged in? because if so Im going to need 2 Travel kits? (also what is this radio lead?)

I'm also going to be using Broadband, using a speedtouch modem. How exactly does the internet connection get from the modem to base unit? (im clueless ;p)

dobbin
Oct 20, 2004, 05:47 AM
I'm also going to be using Broadband, using a speedtouch modem. How exactly does the internet connection get from the modem to base unit? (im clueless ;p)

You'll need to be careful about which modem you use. I also have a speedtouch broadband modem but it connects using a USB cable. I don't think this will work with an airport base station (extreme or express) as they will need a modem with an ethernet cable (RJ45). This is the cable with the square-ish connector that has a little physical clip that you have to unclip to pull the cable out. If your modem is USB like mine, then you need to think about getting another modem or router.

caveman_uk
Oct 20, 2004, 05:51 AM
Thanks Gary. Does the Airport Extreme base station need to be plugged in? because if so Im going to need 2 Travel kits? (also what is this radio lead?)

1. Yes. I think the radio lead he's refering to is like the one you get with ibook/powermac adaptors. It's a flex with a female rubber plug at one end and a mains male plug at the other end. The female end is the same for both the US amd UK.
2. Are you using cable or ADSL? ADSL is more common here and can be obtained from a range of suppliers so long as the phone line is supplied by British Telecom. Cable modems are generally used on networks supplied by NTL or Blueyonder. ADSL is probs less hassle in the short term. I would personally use ethernet to connect the modem to the Airport express. Sadly most ADSL modems are USB - which is a nightmare.

dogday
Oct 20, 2004, 05:53 AM
Tell me about it. I have a USB modem, so could you tell me how I would set this up?

cahillj
Oct 20, 2004, 06:05 AM
Buy a shaver adapter for the iBook PSU similar to http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=1186&TabID=1&source=14&doy=20m10
Make sure it has a flat face as recessed adaptors won't fit to the iBook PSU.
The basestation US plug can be chopped off and a UK plug fitted
I've got an X Modem from adslnation, this has ethernet out which is necessary to connect to the basestation see http://www.adslnation.com/support/knowledgebase/ht007.php as a guide to setup.
I'd also recommend you get AppleCare (bought in the US) as this offers a worldwide warranty for portables.
good luck

dogday
Oct 20, 2004, 06:22 AM
You guys are being very helpful. Thanks.

cahillj, thanks for the link to the x-modem. Is this the one you are talking about: http://www.adslnation.com/phpapps/catalog/images/x-modem-white.jpg ?

cahillj
Oct 20, 2004, 07:03 AM
Dogday, yes that's the one
Just noticed your sig, I'm across the Mersey in Port Sunlight, I hope you're enjoying the great weather we're having!
For that adapter - there is a Maplins in Edge Lane about 2 miles from Liverpool center.

dogday
Oct 20, 2004, 07:10 AM
cahillj, I have been to Port Sunlight! :cool: Nice place!

Also, thanks for the info on the modem, certainly does seem like a great buy. I think im edging towards buying it in the UK and then buying the travel kit when I get back to the states. Although it is far more expensive, it seems a lot easier. :p

Just quickly ( i know I know nothing), should I be getting Express, rather than Extreme? I'm not entirely sure on the difference as the price is pretty much the same

cahillj
Oct 20, 2004, 07:34 AM
Extreme is good for large(r) areas, range is about 50yds. You can extend that with an external aerial. This would be best if you are in a student house and want to share one internet connection across everyone in the house. There is also a modem so you could, if you really wanted to, log in to your network from a telephone connection anywhere.
Express has more limited range 20yds(?) perfect for a student flat, and it can connect to your hifi (if you have an Aux input)
The great thing about the hifi connection is that you can stream music from iTunes to Express and then out to the hifi = instant hifi jukebox. Unless you need the extra distance I'd go for Express. For Express you'll also need another of those adapters...

dogday
Oct 20, 2004, 07:47 AM
Even if I buy the expree from the UK?

caveman_uk
Oct 20, 2004, 07:58 AM
Even if I buy the expree from the UK?
No, UK supplied stuff comes with UK plugs fitted.

I've got both an express and an extreme. AFAIK the main differences is that Airport Extreme's allow 50 clients to connect -the express allows 10 max. Depending upon model the Extreme can also have a second ethernet port for a LAN. Can have an aerial fitted or may accept power-over-ethernet.

Expresses support Airtunes.

Why do I have both? The main base station is an extreme PoE model which I bought on ebay for 100 (a very good price). The express acts as a signal booster in a part of the house of the house where the signal is weak.

The express should cover most home users needs.

cahillj
Oct 20, 2004, 08:02 AM
Express in UK will come with the Apple UK connector, this is the same connector that is in the Apple World Travel kit $39 or 29.
So I guess the extra cost of the adapter kit will just about negate any saving on buying Express in the US.

dogday
Oct 20, 2004, 08:23 AM
Thanks guys, you lot have been real helpful. I decided to go for the new 12" iBook from the Apple UK education store.

704 + 91 (Airport express) - 795

+ x-modem - 850

Is that all I will need?

What are some essential programs I should buy?

cahillj
Oct 20, 2004, 09:11 AM
I know this might be obvious but the total list is, a live telephone connection, an ISP to provide the connection, an external filter on every telephone socket that is being used, a telephone cable between socket and modem, an Ethernet cable to connect between modem and Express (these two cables are provided with the Xmodem, not sure about the filters), two power sockets for the modem and Express adjacent to the telephone socket you are going to use, and about 30 minutes to set it all up! For the ISP I went with BT, they provide my phone line. There are many other ISPs out there, most of them cheaper some of them better. My decision was based on having just one place to blame if things went wrong.

dogday
Oct 20, 2004, 10:22 AM
Thanks again cahill. I think I have most of that, except the modem and the cables (is that R45 or something like that?)

Im sure I have alot of more questios, you guys have been great

Thanks

cahillj
Oct 20, 2004, 10:58 AM
If you get the X modem then the two cables, telephone and ethernet, come with it. Don't know what Wanadoo bundles in their package.
For essential software... what do you want to do with the iBook?
Tell the forum and I'm sure many recommendations will come back. I know some people might think me a heretic, but I understand you can get a good education deal on MS Office for OS X...