PDA

View Full Version : Help with Keys

jdcooke
Oct 20, 2004, 04:53 AM
Im a new convert to Apple and I love most everything about my shiny powerbook.
However my collegues are all laughing at me. As part of my job I have to telnet in to an old system on which I have to mod applications and In order to do so I need certain keys (before anyone ask why I didnt check out the abilites of the keyboard before I bought a power it it that I used to work in a different department).

Ror example to insert a row I would type "shift+ins" only problem theres no insert key on the powerbook.
It took me a day to work out that # was produced with alt+3 (I have a UK spec model).

Further problems include page up page down not working correctly through the telnet session. Nor does home and end. If anyone can help me I would much appriciate it and it would help to silence the many mac critics in my office.

hotwire132002
Oct 20, 2004, 07:37 AM
Im a new convert to Apple and I love most everything about my shiny powerbook.
However my collegues are all laughing at me. As part of my job I have to telnet in to an old system on which I have to mod applications and In order to do so I need certain keys (before anyone ask why I didnt check out the abilites of the keyboard before I bought a power it it that I used to work in a different department).

Ror example to insert a row I would type "shift+ins" only problem theres no insert key on the powerbook.
It took me a day to work out that # was produced with alt+3 (I have a UK spec model).

Further problems include page up page down not working correctly through the telnet session. Nor does home and end. If anyone can help me I would much appriciate it and it would help to silence the many mac critics in my office.

I'm not familiar with the UK keyboard (being in the states), but for home, end, page up, and page down, are you using the function key, or just trying the arrow keys? Just want to make sure :) .

jdcooke
Oct 21, 2004, 04:16 AM
I dont think UK spec is a great deal different except we have instead of # above 3 and a few other sybols are in different places. The page-up page-down keys are over the top of the arrow key and yes I am holding down the fn key.
However in a telnet session page up srolls to the top of the session rather send sending page up to the program, thereby scrolling a page above the program rather.
fn-left (home) takes you right back to the start of the session again paging above the program im working in.
I hope you understand that Im not the greatest at explaining things.

wrldwzrd89
Oct 21, 2004, 05:04 AM
I dont think UK spec is a great deal different except we have instead of # above 3 and a few other sybols are in different places. The page-up page-down keys are over the top of the arrow key and yes I am holding down the fn key.
However in a telnet session page up srolls to the top of the session rather send sending page up to the program, thereby scrolling a page above the program rather.
fn-left (home) takes you right back to the start of the session again paging above the program im working in.
I hope you understand that Im not the greatest at explaining things.
After reading your post several times, I figured out what you were trying to say. The reason that happens is because that's the way Terminal works - the only way to send such a command to a remote system via Telnet is to use an escape sequence of some sort. Do Shift+PageUp (Fn+Shift+UpArrow) and Shift+PageDown (Fn+Shift+DownArrow) work for you by any chance? These sequences won't do anything in a Terminal window (a ~ will appear and Terminal will beep at you).

jdcooke
Oct 21, 2004, 05:11 AM
Yahoo fn+shift+down arrow works thanks so much!

As your clearly a guru any change you know how I can send shift-insert? (being as there is no insert key)

Many thanks again

wrldwzrd89
Oct 21, 2004, 05:25 AM
Yahoo fn+shift+down arrow works thanks so much!

As your clearly a guru any change you know how I can send shift-insert? (being as there is no insert key)

Many thanks again
According to the documentation I looked through (both on my local system and on the Internet), functions like Insert are system-specific (insert has no meaning in the Mac OS, but it does in Windows). I have no idea what sequence to send to achieve an insert.