Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cole Slaw

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 6, 2006
Canada
Hey;
Just posting to say I ordered a Nikon D-90.
I know it's probably going to be replaced soon with an updated version, but that worked to my advantage, I think, because the price for the the D-90 has been dropping lately.
I'm sure the update will probably have improved video and perhaps a slight megapixel "upgrade".
For me, who doesn't give a crap about video, I think the D-90 will fit my needs just fine.
It'll be my first SLR since the film days when I last had a Nikon FM-2 (great camera).

Nordichund

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2007
Oslo, Norway
I have had mine for one and a half years now and I have never regretted buying it. Its successor is truly going to be an amazing camera as the D90 I imagine satisfies most amateurs needs and one can learn so many things about taking pictures by using its potential. The next step for me would be a full-frame D-SLR. But they are SO big to carry around on holiday.

I hope you really enjoy it.

scottkifnw

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2008
Trophy Club, TX
Good for you

If you are new to digital SLR, get a white balance card and get familiar with custom white balance for shooting. You will be glad you did.

sek

Hey;
Just posting to say I ordered a Nikon D-90.
I know it's probably going to be replaced soon with an updated version, but that worked to my advantage, I think, because the price for the the D-90 has been dropping lately.
I'm sure the update will probably have improved video and perhaps a slight megapixel "upgrade".
For me, who doesn't give a crap about video, I think the D-90 will fit my needs just fine.
It'll be my first SLR since the film days when I last had a Nikon FM-2 (great camera).

Arisian

macrumors 68000
Sep 14, 2007
China
As my second camera body and one that I've used... and still use extensively, I'm sure you will be happy with it.

It certainly has it's limitations, but you are getting an excellent censor for a great price.

I will say this though - spent significant time learning how to use the camera and it's ALWAYS a good idea to read the manual thoroughly - it's a pretty feature-rich offering. Because of where it's priced and where it's positioned in Nikon's product line, in my often incorrect opinion, many of the features tend to get overlooked by over-eager users who bought it just to have a nice dSLR - that being said, I've used it for serious professional work (as my second body) for about 1.5 years now. Don't get me wrong, they don't say its a professional body, nonetheless I'm extremely happy w/ it.

If you spend the time to get to know that camera, it will surprise you.

Congrats on your purchase!
Brian

roliath

macrumors regular
Dec 7, 2009
dallas
Recently received my D90 from Adorama, loving it compared to my D3000.

rgvwag.jpg

(taken with iphone 3gs)

cnolan011

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2010
. . .
I will say this though - spent significant time learning how to use the camera and it's never a good idea to read the manual thoroughly - it's a pretty feature-rich offering.
. . .

just curious, cause i recently bought a D5000, why is it not a good idea to read the manual thoroughly? I haven't shot in 25 years, until i bought this camera in december, and I have read the manual multiple times. Although I am still just shooting in M, i feel comfortable comfortable with most of the setting if i want to use them (non-automatic setting that is). using custom WB, bracketing, adjusting exposure. using the RGB histo, locking the mirror, using a remote, . . .

i am far from a good photographer, but really enjoying reading about how to shoot, and then actually shooting. (slow process).

Arisian

macrumors 68000
Sep 14, 2007
China
just curious, cause i recently bought a D5000, why is it not a good idea to read the manual thoroughly? I haven't shot in 25 years, until i bought this camera in december, and I have read the manual multiple times. Although I am still just shooting in M, i feel comfortable comfortable with most of the setting if i want to use them (non-automatic setting that is). using custom WB, bracketing, adjusting exposure. using the RGB histo, locking the mirror, using a remote, . . .

i am far from a good photographer, but really enjoying reading about how to shoot, and then actually shooting. (slow process).

lol - wow, what a typo on my part... should say READ THE MANUAL THOROUGHLY!!!!

Sorry about that guys!
Brian

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.