PDA

View Full Version : List of working pc graphic cards on MacPro 3,1 at least?

luh
Jun 16, 2010, 06:28 PM
Hi all!

First of all, I have just found out the 'netkas' way to change my MacPro graphic card.
I have a nvidia 8800gt which came with my Mac 2 years ago and well... I use it for many things like postproduction, video editing, 3d and gaming (gaming nowadays more than never with steam and before with world of warcraft bla bla bla...)

The thing is that when I use the card for 3D or gaming it sounds like a taking off airplane. From 0 to 30 seconds the card increases the fan speed/sound. I clean my macpro about 3 or 4 times a year, even my card but, honestly, I have never open the black cover the nvidia has for avoiding a disaster...

Ok I just want to know the best (or at least a better) graphic card. If it is a PC card, how could I make it work in my Macpro...

I tell this because mac edition options are obsoletes I think...

Thanks!!

MacVidCards
Jun 16, 2010, 07:09 PM
Feel free to use the "Search" function.

lemonade-maker
Jun 16, 2010, 08:44 PM

Feel free to make it easier and answer the question or post your search results.

Roman23
Jun 16, 2010, 08:48 PM
Have you or are you working on getting the rom for the mac side to work with this card yet? I have a 2009 Nehalem Mac Pro.

Mackilroy
Jun 16, 2010, 09:13 PM
Feel free to make it easier and answer the question or post your search results.
So there being a 67-page thread near the top of the page isn't obvious enough? Or the eleven other topics on the first page alone that mention GPUs? :rolleyes:

Have you or are you working on getting the rom for the mac side to work with this card yet? I have a 2009 Nehalem Mac Pro.
There's no such thing as a 5890, and even if there were it wouldn't work. Until Apple uses 5000-series cards in their machines, nobody else will be able to.

luh
Jun 17, 2010, 03:39 AM
OK. Thank you so much for the advice ;) but I did it before making this thread because they are old. I even viewed the guide but it is for ATI, and if there isn't a lot of information I have to question.

Remember we are in June 2010 and I only wanted to know if there are possibilities of taking a nowadays' graphic card and not 2 years ago one.

If I had to do so, then I would buy another 8800gt mac ed. or a pc one and I'll flash it.

But guys if you only talk about another subject like "use the search method" is the same than not answering anything. Honestly the help is helpful ;D and for everyone, not only for me.

Thank you.

MacVidCards
Jun 17, 2010, 04:19 AM
OK. Thank you so much for the advice ;) but I did it before making this thread because they are old. I even viewed the guide but it is for ATI, and if there isn't a lot of information I have to question.

Remember we are in June 2010 and I only wanted to know if there are possibilities of taking a nowadays' graphic card and not 2 years ago one.

If I had to do so, then I would buy another 8800gt mac ed. or a pc one and I'll flash it.

But guys if you only talk about another subject like "use the search method" is the same than not answering anything. Honestly the help is helpful ;D and for everyone, not only for me.

Thank you.

Yet another stunning indictment of google translate.

Hopefully this translates

MAKES NO SENSE

Spacedust
Jun 17, 2010, 04:33 AM
Hi all!

First of all, I have just found out the 'netkas' way to change my MacPro graphic card.
I have a nvidia 8800gt which came with my Mac 2 years ago and well... I use it for many things like postproduction, video editing, 3d and gaming (gaming nowadays more than never with steam and before with world of warcraft bla bla bla...)

The thing is that when I use the card for 3D or gaming it sounds like a taking off airplane. From 0 to 30 seconds the card increases the fan speed/sound. I clean my macpro about 3 or 4 times a year, even my card but, honestly, I have never open the black cover the nvidia has for avoiding a disaster...

Ok I just want to know the best (or at least a better) graphic card. If it is a PC card, how could I make it work in my Macpro...

I tell this because mac edition options are obsoletes I think...

Thanks!!

In your case:

Radeon HD4870 512 MB DDR5 (original or flashed)
Radeon HD4870 1GB DDR5 (flashed)
Radeon HD4890 1GB DDR5 (flashed)
GeForce GTX285 1GB DDR3 (original or modded)

Maybe 2 GB editions of HD4870 and HD4890 will work too.

luh
Jun 17, 2010, 04:40 AM
Yet another stunning indictment of google translate.

Hopefully this translates

MAKES NO SENSE

You have answered 2 times with Google. You are not the only one who loves Google, but I'll answer: NO. I haven't used Google translate. This is my English and, of course, this is not my native language but I try to do my best.

So, please, again, don't change the main subject of the thread ;)

In your case:

Radeon HD4870 512 MB DDR5 (original or flashed)
Radeon HD4870 1GB DDR5 (flashed)
Radeon HD4890 1GB DDR5 (flashed)
GeForce GTX285 1GB DDR3 (original or modded)

Maybe 2 GB editions of HD4870 and HD4890 will work too.

Thanks Spacedust ;D