Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Beaverman3001

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 20, 2010
I'm contemplating buying the new mac mini which obviously shares parts with the Macbook and 13in Macbook Pro. The only game I play on a computer is WoW, and am looking for someone with a Macbook who also plays WoW who can give some advice on the games performance with the 320M gpu.

I don't necessarily care how bad it is in Dalaran, but I'm wondering what kind of settings are you able to comfortably play BGs and Arena with? I play a 2500 rated (season 6, recently getting back from a break in the game) druid so arena performance is important to me. Before I was playing on a dv5z laptop with a radeon hd 3200 using low settings, so I'd really like to be able to play with a bit higher settings.

Also I'd love to hear from someone who has experience with playing it using a external monitor, not the 13in monitor. Obviously a bigger monitor would be more stressful on the gpu.

And finally any advice on settings while running fraps or any other screen capturing software would be appreciated.

macgeek18

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2009
Northern California
I'm contemplating buying the new mac mini which obviously shares parts with the Macbook and 13in Macbook Pro. The only game I play on a computer is WoW, and am looking for someone with a Macbook who also plays WoW who can give some advice on the games performance with the 320M gpu.

I don't necessarily care how bad it is in Dalaran, but I'm wondering what kind of settings are you able to comfortably play BGs and Arena with? I play a 2500 rated (season 6, recently getting back from a break in the game) druid so arena performance is important to me. Before I was playing on a dv5z laptop with a radeon hd 3200 using low settings, so I'd really like to be able to play with a bit higher settings.

Also I'd love to hear from someone who has experience with playing it using a external monitor, not the 13in monitor. Obviously a bigger monitor would be more stressful on the gpu.

And finally any advice on settings while running fraps or any other screen capturing software would be appreciated.

I can't test it for you, but I know someone who plays it constantly on a last gen non-unibody MacBook with the 9400M and he has no problems at all.So it should run great on a 320M Mini. :)

atarasiirei

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2010
I played WoW for a few months on my mid-2008 MacBook and it ran well enough to do PVE and arenas (not that I was any good at them, mind you). The new graphics card should destroy the performance I was used to, and should handle whatever you need of it as far as WoW goes.

Beaverman3001

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 20, 2010
From what i have read, I think I'll be able to comfortably play on medium settings and use fraps in intense pvp action. Works for me, thanks for the advice guys.

Here be Chaos

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2010
I'm playing WoW on my Unibody MacBook from late '09 (with the 9400M) on a daily basis.. I can assure you it runs fine. Ofcourse, it's slower in Dalaran, not related to the MB but to the game itself :p. I've also been raiding in ICC, and if you turn shadows off it runs just fine for raiding, also arena's but I don't do many arena's myself.

On thing I found annoying is that wow tends to crash, don't know if it's a general problem or just me. I've even had it crashing when doing Deathwhisper in ICC. (only once) Now I again don't know if it's just me or it's a problem in general.

About the external display, I don't really know, as I just use the 13" screen, but I think it will run fine if you tweak the settings a bit more.

But don't you dare to crawl back from any eventual purchase cuz of that.

PS:
My settings:

Everything maxed out, shadows off. Playable with shadows on but it gets to around 20-30fps and I'd prefer 30+ so I turn em off.
Resolution:
I play in windowed..

Matrim604

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2010
Vancouver, BC
I play on a new Macbook Pro 13 with the 320M and it runs great, even in Dalaran with near max settings.

I usually have about 30 fps in Dalaran when it is busy, and 60+ elsewhere.

thesecession

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2010
I tried raiding for a while on my 9400m macbook and It was doable with only 1gig of ram :D however serious pvp was 100% impossible. With more ram im assuming it would have ran a lot better!

Wehrwolf

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2009
The game played fine at 1280x800 on my 2009 13" MBP (9400M). You have to turn nearly all the details down to low for it to maintain decent framerates during raids, but it will play smoothly.

That being said, the 320M should be able to significantly outperform the 9400M, having twice the stream processors. So there should be no issue with playing WoW at the native screen resolution on a 2010 Macbook with the 320M.

Playing on an external screen is another story. My 9400M equipped MBP was incapable of maintaining playable framerates on a 1920x1200 external monitor, even with all the details turned down low. Not sure how the 320M would perform in this situation though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.