PDA

View Full Version : Manchester, Arndale Centre

-Garry-
Jun 16, 2010, 10:06 PM
Put your name down. :)

What time are you getting there?

JamesHP
Jun 17, 2010, 03:23 PM
I'm looking at getting there at approx 10am-ish, wait until it dies down a bit.

WDUK
Jun 18, 2010, 12:48 PM
I'm not sure whether to go to Manchester Arndale or Liverpool ONE. I'm from St Helens, so it's cheaper to get to Liverpool, but the Apple Store there is on an open street, I can imagine a massive queue building.

Either way, the earliest I can get to either of them is 6:50am, doors opened for the Arndale at 7am last time didn't they?

I'm thinking of getting the iPhone 4 32Gb. I'm assuming it'll be Sim free from the store too. Anyone had past experience in doing this and getting the thing they wanted?

Hexxeh
Jun 18, 2010, 03:48 PM
I'll be there at either 8AM or 6PM, depends whether I can get out of college for the morning. Probably can. Got my reservation for a 16GB model in, sim-free.

WDUK
Jun 18, 2010, 04:03 PM
Argh, I didn't realise you could reserve it. There'll still be some available, right? :confused:

AlexHaden
Jun 18, 2010, 04:11 PM
I have mine reserved also at Arndale. Wondering if its worth looking like a saddo on the off chance that there will be a q, or to just arrive casually - as if i was just passing at around 8am.

You know the type of walk past, check if there is a huge amount of people, if so join them.

If not, go to Maccy D's and get a Sausage and Egg McMuffin just to get my fingers really greasy in time for a nice new screen......

Just sent off my 3gs to O2 Recycle, so i'll be the muppet with the Nokia 1661. That amazing piece of technology has a .....torch......

And a radio....Lets see the Iphone do that!

istanbul05
Jun 18, 2010, 07:17 PM
Does anyone have any idea when the Arndale itself will open its doors?! I do not want to be waiting outside! :o

-Garry-
Jun 19, 2010, 02:16 AM
I'm not sure whether to go to Manchester Arndale or Liverpool ONE. I'm from St Helens, so it's cheaper to get to Liverpool, but the Apple Store there is on an open street, I can imagine a massive queue.

I'm from St. Helens too. Work in Manchester though so Arndale makes sense.

Pennine
Jun 19, 2010, 02:43 AM
I'm at work til 6pm so will heading to the Arndale about 630 ish
Hope it will be pretty quiet then. Those who didn't reserved one will be gone by then. Picking up unlocked 16gb

Gamst
Jun 20, 2010, 01:55 PM
I'm going to get there for 7am ish I think. Need to find out where to queue up. Anyone popping in, in the next few days please can you ask about the vodafone contract situation and maybe where to queue? Thanks :-)

Simbazz
Jun 20, 2010, 02:57 PM
Definately decided on Arndale, rather than Trafford.

Getting there about 6AM, mainly so I can hit a McDonalds and then check out the queues.

I didn't pre-order so hoping to be one of the first, but highly doubt it :(

I'm ringing Arndale Apple store tomorrow to find out whats happening Thursday morning.

littledigger
Jun 20, 2010, 03:01 PM
i'll be there for about 6am ish. I want to get trapped in the queue and enjoy the mass anxious-ness, hehe. :D

JamesHP
Jun 20, 2010, 05:27 PM
I'm going to get there for 7am ish I think. Need to find out where to queue up. Anyone popping in, in the next few days please can you ask about the vodafone contract situation and maybe where to queue? Thanks :-)

I dunno about the second question, but according to one of the guys in there they 'should be' offering Vodafone contracts in there. I'm hoping so because I want to switch to them too.

-Garry-
Jun 21, 2010, 07:05 AM
Just been into the Apple Store in the Arndale.

The centre itself will be opening its doors at 7am on Thursday, and the best entrance to use is the one by the Birdcage, opposite the Printworks. In return for providing you with this lovely information for free ... if you get there best me and see a guy in a black Apple cap joining the back of the queue, invite me to stand with you instead. ;)

Streethawk
Jun 21, 2010, 08:24 AM
O2 in the Arndale for me, they're opening at 8am for the iPhone 4 launch. I dont know about the Market St or Cross St stores though. All within 2 mins walk of each other anyway.

Gamst
Jun 21, 2010, 08:40 AM
Just called the Apple Store, Vodafone, Orange and O2 are confirmed for contracts.

Birdcage entrance seems to be the best bet, there or opposite big wheel.

When asked about what Time people will be queuing, he replied 3am on Thursday and done Wednesday! I asked if I turned up at 5am, would there be many already there, like 100's and he said it wouldn't suprise him!

He couldn't disclose the number of reservations they've had, but said if I've reserved I'll get one, but obviously get there early if you want to get away quicker.

I'll probably call back Wednesday and ask about entrances again.

Is it worth calling the actual Arndale, see if they'll let us in earlier? ;-)

Not long now Gentlemen!

Gamst
Jun 21, 2010, 10:17 AM
Just called Vodafone, to try and confirm they'll be doing contracts at the Apple store. He didn't know! They apparently don't have any sim cards at the moment. He told me to call once I have the iPhone! I reiterated that I wantba contract and he said they don't know yet and to call back on launch. He said he very much doubts Apple stores will be offering contracts as they only sell them sim free!

Bloody useless, all of them! How the he'll can the Apple store say they are doing vodafone contracts, but vodafone themselves not know?!!

I'm worried I'll queue up for god knows how many hours then find out they aren't doing contracts. So, so annoying. Why is this launch such a farce?!

Simbazz
Jun 21, 2010, 12:27 PM
I hate the fact that the earliest train gets in at 6AM, so a quick taxi ride from Piccadilly (I'm not walking, takes longer!) will get me there for 6.15 at the latest,

I'm gunna be met with thousands of you aren't I?

Gamst
Jun 21, 2010, 03:23 PM
I hate the fact that the earliest train gets in at 6AM, so a quick taxi ride from Piccadilly (I'm not walking, takes longer!) will get me there for 6.15 at the latest,

I'm gunna be met with thousands of you aren't I?

I hope not! I don't know when to turn up! This launch has been such a sham that I'm starting to wonder if the guaranteed iPhone is bollocks too.

Hexxeh
Jun 22, 2010, 10:56 AM
Got a 16GB reserved, but I'd really like the 32GB.

Anyone know if they'll let me swap and pay the difference once they get them back in stock?

Mkz
Jun 22, 2010, 10:59 AM
Not sure what time to get there yet. Definitely not getting there at a ridiculous time like 6am though. Might arrive for 8am.

Simbazz
Jun 22, 2010, 11:03 AM
After hearing all the rumors about numbers at different shops, I'm actually kicking myself for not pre-ordering :(

john_satc
Jun 22, 2010, 12:14 PM
Anyone know what time o2 in the arndale is opening? The o2 website doesn't list it as being one of the early opening stores - at least it didn't last time I checked.

Hexxeh
Jun 22, 2010, 12:27 PM
The O2 Arndale isn't opening early, but the one on Market Street just outside is opening early, 8:02am. I'll be popping in there to get my microSIM on the morning.

Gamst
Jun 23, 2010, 04:37 AM
Considering getting there super early now, don't know yet.

Has anyone had any luck calling them in the last few days? I let it ring fir 10 minutes and 30 minutes last night with no answer! Trafford centre answer within minutes. The TC store seem much much more professional and helpful, wonder why that is?

I want to double check they are 100% doing Vodafone contracts and confirm where to queue. Called Vodafone and they still don't know anything and just tell me to register my interest. The women today asked if it was the iPhone 4G I wanted!

Less than 24 hours now!

fatboyslick
Jun 23, 2010, 07:25 AM
eek

Getting a cold sweat now - was just planning on going to the O2 store on Market Street and picking one up, thinking that you coulnt pre-order.

Am I right in thinking that ONLY the Apple store would let you preorder? Also, I didnt think the Apple Store was selling upgrades too - just the device for 499 (or whatever it is)

Gamst
Jun 23, 2010, 09:17 AM
eek

Getting a cold sweat now - was just planning on going to the O2 store on Market Street and picking one up, thinking that you coulnt pre-order.

Am I right in thinking that ONLY the Apple store would let you preorder? Also, I didnt think the Apple Store was selling upgrades too - just the device for 499 (or whatever it is)

According to various forums, some O2 shops were letting you 'put your name down' some weren't. I heard the same about some Vodafone and Orange shops. I've heard O2 are taking orders on the phone, so it might be worth calling them?

Also, as far as I know the Apple store ARE offering contracts and upgrades.

Maybe call the Apple store and ask about non-reserves? Turn up at 3am :)

fatboyslick
Jun 23, 2010, 09:53 AM
Rang Market Street, not taking Pre-Orders so gonna try my luck there.

Not a chance Im heading down earlier than 8am - the missus will divorce me

wrboyce
Jun 23, 2010, 12:16 PM
I was in Arndale a few hours ago. The apple store staff said "we'd recommend getting here as early as humanly possible; they were waiting outside from 3am for the iPads".

Don't think I have the energy to sit about in the street all night.

Gamst
Jun 23, 2010, 01:13 PM
I was in Arndale a few hours ago. The apple store staff said "we'd recommend getting here as early as humanly possible; they were waiting outside from 3am for the iPads".

Don't think I have the energy to sit about in the street all night.

Someone bring a ghetto blaster and some beers and we'll have an Apple party!

If you're queuing and tweeting don't forget to put #iPhone4LaunchUK in your tweets, then we can all see who's queuing :-) retweet it too, it'd be cool to see pics and tweets from the queues up and down the UK!

iPaddy
Jun 23, 2010, 01:34 PM
Ill be there at 3am.

istanbul05
Jun 23, 2010, 02:08 PM
I'll be there at 8am

Hexxeh
Jun 23, 2010, 02:11 PM
Getting a taxi to get there a bit earlier, still can only get there for 7:30AM though.

I have a reservation, but I'm gonna be in the other queue to try and get a 32GB. If they run out of non-reserved stock, I'll just go use my reservation.

JamesHP
Jun 23, 2010, 02:33 PM
Going to be there at 9:30 at the latest, just printed off my reservation email. Think I might take my biology revision with me to use my time effectively :P

iPaddy
Jun 23, 2010, 02:38 PM
Good luck. Queues are already forming and the manager said judging by all the calls about queuing, they're expecting hundreds by the early hours.

Hexxeh
Jun 23, 2010, 02:42 PM
Can someone getting there in the early hours post a video/photo so we can see what it's like?

iPaddy
Jun 23, 2010, 03:34 PM
Can someone getting there in the early hours post a video/photo so we can see what it's like?

I'll be there in 4 and a half hours. I'll post pics in this thread.

Simbazz
Jun 23, 2010, 03:36 PM
bah, i'll be getting there for 6AM-ish, I'm not gunna get one am I? :mad:

ApocalypticS
Jun 23, 2010, 04:09 PM
Yeah updates of the queue would be nice. This is the first time I'll be attending an iPhone launch, but sadly I do not have a reservation. I have an exam at 1:30pm so here's hoping I can get my hands on one to lighten the mood!

I'm looking to arrive at around 5:30am, as I'm having to rely on buses and that is the first I can catch into Manchester.

I send my thanks in advance to anyone that proceeds to give updates on the queues. Much appreciated. :)

Simbazz
Jun 23, 2010, 04:26 PM
A kind friend has let me stay at her place, I'll be there at around 3AM :) Whoop! This is gunna be a longggggggg ass night ahead.

john_satc
Jun 23, 2010, 04:30 PM
A kind friend has let me stay at her place, I'll be there at around 3AM :) Whoop! This is gunna be a longggggggg ass night ahead.

So do you have a phone reserved, or are you getting there so early because you haven't got a reservation? Just wondering if I need to get there that early with a reservation. I'm gonna be going o2 to get my iPhone even though I have one reserved at the arndale because I'm worried apple won't be doing the early upgrade deal (heard mixed things). Then once I have my o2 deal sorted and a new iPhone, i'm going to get the reserved one from arndale to sell on. Probably won't be getting to the arndale till 9/10ish after o2, but that should be ok with a reservation, right?

iPaddy
Jun 23, 2010, 04:30 PM

I'll see you there.
Queue outside the wheel?

fatboyslick
Jun 23, 2010, 04:55 PM
Any news on queues outside O2?
I'm not setting off until half 7 so if there's a queue I just won't bother

wrboyce
Jun 23, 2010, 05:14 PM
Someone bring a ghetto blaster and some beers and we'll have an Apple party!

If you're queuing and tweeting don't forget to put #iPhone4LaunchUK in your tweets, then we can all see who's queuing :-) retweet it too, it'd be cool to see pics and tweets from the queues up and down the UK!

That's the best idea I've heard yet!

Gamst
Jun 23, 2010, 05:16 PM
Ill be there at 3am.

Wow, I was planning on 4ish and thought that was a little too early! At least I won't be first there! I don't think I'd like that, on my own.

I'll see you there.
Queue outside the wheel?

By the birdcage. I spoke to the Arndale help desk this afternoon :-) They said that's the one they'll open earliest If queues are forming.

Save me a place? I'll get the Starbucks ;-)

-Garry-
Jun 23, 2010, 05:27 PM
Wow, I was planning on 4ish and thought that was a little too early! At least I won't be first there! I don't think I'd like that, on my own.

By the birdcage. I spoke to the Arndale help desk this afternoon :-) They said that's the one they'll open earliest If queues are forming.

I'll be there at 4, watching movies on iPad wearing an Apple cap :)

wrboyce
Jun 23, 2010, 05:31 PM

Will 'bucks be open so early? This is one of my issues, will definitely be needing caffeine.

iPaddy
Jun 23, 2010, 05:36 PM
Apple said today that only the doors opposite wheel and next to market near debenhams will be open?

Either way, I'll trek around the arndale so if you see someone wandering around with an addidas gym bag and folding camping chair, that's me.

Also, manager at Apple said today that starbucks WILL be there at some point giving out free stuff.

Gamst
Jun 23, 2010, 05:40 PM
Will 'bucks be open so early? This is one of my issues, will definitely be needing caffeine.

Think it opens at 6 :-(

john_satc
Jun 23, 2010, 05:53 PM
Think it opens at 6 :-(

The only store that I know opens before 7 is the one on the corner of Mount Street, by the central library, which opens at 6.30. The rest are 7.

Sorry to ask again, but all of your going at 3/4, do you have reservations?

iPaddy
Jun 23, 2010, 05:56 PM
The only store that I know opens before 7 is the one on the corner of Mount Street, by the central library, which opens at 6.30. The rest are 7.

Sorry to ask again, but all of your going at 3/4, do you have reservations?

I have a feeling Starbucks may be there with a stall to feed us early birds.
I don't have a reservation, was at work so couldn't get one.

Just put two films on my iPad, music loaded, apps downloaded. Time to get two hours kip then off to town!

john_satc
Jun 23, 2010, 06:19 PM
I have a feeling Starbucks may be there with a stall to feed us early birds.
I don't have a reservation, was at work so couldn't get one.

Just put two films on my iPad, music loaded, apps downloaded. Time to get two hours kip then off to town!

Yeah hopefully they will.. Let us know the queue situation, and if you pass the o2 shop on market street or cross street report back! Thanks!

sheppy1
Jun 23, 2010, 07:12 PM
Yeah hopefully they will.. Let us know the queue situation, and if you pass the o2 shop on market street or cross street report back! Thanks!

Damn you!! lol, I've had no sleep since Tuesday night, I will be waiting in line for 3 hors and I have NOTHING to keep me entertained, damn it's going to be boring

-Garry-
Jun 23, 2010, 09:59 PM
Good morning from outside the Arndale Centre! Currently a dozen people here. Anybody else here at the moment?

We seem to be using the entrance up the road from the birdcage!

iPaddy
Jun 23, 2010, 10:41 PM
Here too. Market street looks pretty empty.

Hexxeh
Jun 23, 2010, 10:45 PM
I'll be there in a little under three hours, hopefully it stays that quiet!

Which entrance is queueing at? Is it the ferris wheel one?

iPaddy
Jun 23, 2010, 10:52 PM
I'll be there in a little under three hours, hopefully it stays that quiet!

Which entrance is queueing at? Is it the ferris wheel one?

Birdcage.

Hexxeh
Jun 23, 2010, 10:53 PM
Birdcage.

Saw that. I don't know Manchester so well though, wasn't sure where that is. Coming from the train station so I have to walk past it first anyway I guess.

Gamst
Jun 23, 2010, 10:56 PM
It's too early! Couldn't sleep! :-( Here now, 15 or so people here :-)

st1ngo
Jun 23, 2010, 11:02 PM
So do you have a phone reserved, or are you getting there so early because you haven't got a reservation? Just wondering if I need to get there that early with a reservation. I'm gonna be going o2 to get my iPhone even though I have one reserved at the arndale because I'm worried apple won't be doing the early upgrade deal (heard mixed things). Then once I have my o2 deal sorted and a new iPhone, i'm going to get the reserved one from arndale to sell on. Probably won't be getting to the arndale till 9/10ish after o2, but that should be ok with a reservation, right?

Anyone buying a phone to sell on for profit is no more than a greedy bast***
I hope the money brings you nothing but misery

Simbazz
Jun 24, 2010, 12:20 AM
I'm definitely a fan of these queues and how quick time is moving... Apologies this post is dripping is sleep-deprived sarcasm!

Hexxeh
Jun 24, 2010, 12:28 AM
Only an hour now till i'm there, queues still quiet?

Paulando
Jun 24, 2010, 12:45 AM
Over 100 people now, according to Twitter :o I'm just getting the tram from Pic to Vic now.

Hexxeh
Jun 24, 2010, 12:59 AM
Any word how much unreserved stock they have?

-Garry-
Jun 24, 2010, 02:24 AM
Nope. All the 'reserved' phones are sat on the Genius Bar. Probably about 100 of them, maybe more. All the stock for general sale is in the back and they're not letting on how much they've got.

I was the first person out of the store with a phone. As I left the queue was barely moving. They're using a new POS system which they don't seem too familiar with.

Good morning to everybody I met last night - I hope you got your phones in the end. Lovely to meet you all.

Hexxeh
Jun 24, 2010, 02:39 AM
Rumour is they have 200 in stock for walk-in. No idea if thats accurate though.

john_satc
Jun 24, 2010, 02:51 AM
Anyone buying a phone to sell on for profit is no more than a greedy bast***
I hope the money brings you nothing but misery

Capitalism ay, gotta love it

Paulando
Jun 24, 2010, 03:14 AM
Nope. All the 'reserved' phones are sat on the Genius Bar. Probably about 100 of them, maybe more. All the stock for general sale is in the back and they're not letting on how much they've got.

I was the first person out of the store with a phone. As I left the queue was barely moving. They're using a new POS system which they don't seem too familiar with.
I saw you!

I started queuing in the reserved queue at about 7am for an upgrade, and I got served by 7.40. I pity the poor souls stood in that unreserved queue. When I left it was stretching around the elevators :eek:

-Garry-
Jun 24, 2010, 03:22 AM
I saw you!

I started queuing in the reserved queue at about 7am for an upgrade, and I got served by 7.40. I pity the poor souls stood in that unreserved queue. When I left it was stretching around the elevators :eek:

Lovely! Pretty surprised you were served so quickly. Considering there were so many staff around there didn't seem to be many actually serving customers and they were having issues with the new system. Probably just need to get used to them.

I didn't realise I was first out until the guys still queuing told me. If I'd known I'd have held up my phone in an Apple bag or something. lol.

fatboyslick
Jun 24, 2010, 03:36 AM
Christ, Market st queue is slower than Matthew upson!
Been waiting an age and it hardly moves. Grateful to the staff for breakfast an pastries though

iPaddy
Jun 24, 2010, 08:11 AM
Started queuing at 2:20am and by 9:00 I still wasn't in the apple store, despite being 4th in the unreserved queue all morning.
At this point the staff had reaalised that the balance of 10 reserved for. Unreserved was unfair to those who had been there all night queuing, so they started to let us in two at a time.

No vodafone sims so when it was finally my turn, was asked if I could wait 15 more minutes. Got a free dock or bumper for the hassle. Chose the dock. In. At 9:15 out for 9:25.
Two iPhones.

john_satc
Jun 24, 2010, 08:17 AM
Started queuing at 2:20am and by 9:00 I still wasn't in the apple store, despite being 4th in the unreserved queue all morning.
At this point the staff had reaalised that the balance of 10 reserved for. Unreserved was unfair to those who had been there all night queuing, so they started to let us in two at a time.

No vodafone sims so when it was finally my turn, was asked if I could wait 15 more minutes. Got a free dock or bumper for the hassle. Chose the dock. In. At 9:15 out for 9:25.
Two iPhones.

That's a right pain, but at least you got a free dock!

Got to o2 at about half five, 8th in the queue , out by 8.45. Free paper, drinks and breakfast not bad! Then on to the apple store, queued for an hour or store for my reservation. Apple seemed to be processing people slower than o2, but still didn't take to long. One happy apple and o2 customer now!

-Garry-
Jun 24, 2010, 10:19 AM

Two iPhones.

Christ, two hours from when I left you. Still, at least you got your phones. Enjoying them yet? :)

JamesHP
Jun 24, 2010, 12:06 PM
Got there at 9:00 on the dot, was out with a Vodafone 16gb at 11:20. Once I was in there it was quite fast for a new contract.