PDA

View Full Version : How can I charge my iBook in a cigarette lighter?

h0kie99
Oct 20, 2004, 11:38 AM
Is there anything I can buy? Obviously my current charger plugs into the wall, but I am going on a long trip in a couple of weeks and the airplane only has the ability to charge via the ol' cigarette lighter way. Any thoughts? THANKS!!

PlaceofDis
Oct 20, 2004, 12:00 PM
check out belkin and targus, i think they make adapters/converters so you can charge your laptop, also check out apples accessorty page for moblie gear, i would post links but im in a rush sorry!! ill try and find the links when i get back

hotwire132002
Oct 20, 2004, 12:09 PM
check out belkin and targus, i think they make adapters/converters so you can charge your laptop, also check out apples accessorty page for moblie gear, i would post links but im in a rush sorry!! ill try and find the links when i get back

Do those adapters/converters plug directly into the lighter plug and then directly into the iBook, or provide an AC outlet to plug the iBook's adapter in to?

I use a little DC->AC converter I picked up at OfficeMax (about $50). It takes the output from the lighter and gives you 2 110 volt AC outlets. What's nice is you can power much more than just your laptop--for instance, I can bring along my GameCube and play on the go.

baby duck monge
Oct 20, 2004, 12:11 PM
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/71007/wo/7g2Av6yPdqzB26TZBf70kLk4Hj0/0.0.9.1.0.6.13.0.4.1.3.0.7.10.1.1.0

check out the stuff towards the bottom of the page. not that you need to get it from the apple store, just that you can and that it gives you an idea of what is out there.

russed
Oct 20, 2004, 12:13 PM
yeh im sure you will be able to get an adaptor so you can charge it in your car. my friend had one so he could play games wirelessly with other cars in a convoy.

millar876
Oct 20, 2004, 12:14 PM
I dont think so. If i remember right the clamshell had a 14.4v battery (written on it somewhere), which to charge would need to be 1/2 as high again i.e 20-25 volts, standard auto-sockets(car cigarette lighters) provide a maximum of 15v (charging voltage from alternator). However this gets complicated when in an aircraft, as most of them use 24V bateries and charge at 30V b ut a higher current.

short answer, no probably not

long answer, maybee, if your plane gives a 24v output, you-re good at soldering, and want to risk your iBook

let me know how u get on please. by pm if possible

h0kie99
Oct 20, 2004, 08:10 PM
all responses looked good until the part about "risking" my ibook... yikes! definitely DON'T want to do that. has anyone ever charged their computer on an airplane? i haven't... i wonder if it's safe for the computer itself... not to mention that if the plug isn't anywhere near where i'm sitting, i wouldn't be able to just leave it there out of my sight. hmmm... maybe getting a 2nd battery is better?

mms
Oct 20, 2004, 08:18 PM
A quick search revealed one from Kensington.
http://www.kensington.com/html/2089.html

I've never used it so I can't guarantee that it will work, but this is the type of thing you would look for. At $79.99 this price is a bit steep but no doubt you could probably find one like it somewhere else cheaper.

jsw
Oct 20, 2004, 08:25 PM
A quick search revealed one from Kensington.
http://www.kensington.com/html/2089.html

I've never used it so I can't guarantee that it will work, but this is the type of thing you would look for. At $79.99 this price is a bit steep but no doubt you could probably find one like it somewhere else cheaper.Follow the other advise above - buy a cheaper 12VDC -> 120VAC converter (many of which come with a 12VDC plug on them, so you don't "lose" the 12V outlet). Plug in the AC adapter you're used to. Use outlet splitters to plug in many (small) things at once.

I own this (http://www.cyberpowersystems.com/acmobile140CHI.htm) one, and it works fine in cars, planes, etc. No problems. Used my ancient Lombard PB on a 4-hour flight with zero problems, while charging my cell phone.

JOD8FY
Oct 20, 2004, 08:53 PM
Yeah, I have a DC-AC adapter I got at RadioShack that works great mith my PB. I highly recommend it, because you can plug anthing you want into it.

JOD8FY