Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

j-a-x

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 15, 2005
Houston, Texas
MacRumors announced this morning that Apple had approved the first iOS 4.0 compatible app that supports multitasking: DropBox.

I wanted to create a thread to keep track of all iOS 4.0 compatible apps as they are released/updated.

Does anybody know of any other iOS 4.0 apps that are available to download now?

jhiner

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2007
Fandango updated for me a few days ago - it said "iOS4 support" but I don't think it was anything other than tested with iOS4. That app does not seem to implement any multitasking APIs.

pugnut

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2007
Flight aware pro- was in about 5 days ago with features- well ahead of Dropbox

j-a-x

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 15, 2005
Houston, Texas
Hmm.. I have the non-pro $5 version of FlightTrack and it does not seem to be updated for IOS 4... at least not yet. But the description in the Apps tore does indeed say that the Pro version is 4.0 compatible with features such as the ability to send an SMS with flight info from within the app (instead of having to copy, quit the app, switch to the SMS messaging app, and paste).

pugnut

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2007
Hmm.. I have the non-pro $5 version of FlightTrack and it does not seem to be updated for IOS 4... at least not yet. But the description in the Apps tore does indeed say that the Pro version is 4.0 compatible with features such as the ability to send an SMS with flight info from within the app (instead of having to copy, quit the app, switch to the SMS messaging app, and paste).

The SMS feature adn the calander intergration are really nice. Once you use it, you realize what a benefit it is.

tek210

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2010
I am really hoping the Sirius/XM app gets updated for multi-tasking in time for release. I listen to Opie and Anthony all morning. Probably why I am averaging 4 gig a month. I am so glad they allowed for the grandfathering of the unlimited plan.

LoganT

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2007
Am I the only one who can't get background audio to work? If I'm listening to something and switch to Safari or close the app, the audio stops. What's happening is the audio is still playing in the App, but it's not playing when I switch to another App.

All of the other API's seem to work. Like the saved state feature.

LSUtigers03

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2008
I am really hoping the Sirius/XM app gets updated for multi-tasking in time for release. I listen to Opie and Anthony all morning. Probably why I am averaging 4 gig a month. I am so glad they allowed for the grandfathering of the unlimited plan.

I'm listening right now. The Sirius app is the one app I want to have multitasking.

tek210

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2010
I'm listening right now. The Sirius app is the one app I want to have multitasking.

I emailed them to find out if this would be ready for the new phone, but of course I have not heard anything back from them.

LoganT

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2007
I am looking forward to background audio in the Last.fm app.

I'm a little nervous that some developers are going to be slow to update, as I think Last.FM might be. It took them a long time for their App to be ready for 3.0. When there are reports of developers saying "Who wants to multitask when they are playing a game?" I say "ME!"

Gorki247

macrumors member
May 10, 2010
Bristol, UK
I'm a little nervous that some developers are going to be slow to update, as I think Last.FM might be. It took them a long time for their App to be reader for 3.0. When there are reports of developers saying "Who wants to multitask when they are playing a game?" I say "ME!"
Last.fm and Spotify are two apps I hope to see implement background processing like Pandora. Like you said though, some seem a bit slower to update their apps.

STEVESKI07

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2009
Washington, DC
I don't understand whats taking so long for other app developers to get their apps approved? Pandora was working when they did the 4.0 anouncement. How is that not one of the first one's submitted/approved in the App Store? There better be more apps approved using multitasking within the next 4 days.

mrtune

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
I don't understand whats taking so long for other app developers to get their apps approved? Pandora was working when they did the 4.0 anouncement. How is that not one of the first one's submitted/approved in the App Store? There better be more apps approved using multitasking within the next 4 days.

Maybe someone at Apple accidentally approved some iOS 4 apps on accident? I was expecting them to start rolling out on the 12st when it's officially release. It was a pleasant surprise to see some get approved already.

If originally figured that they would be approving them this whole time, just not releasing anything until the 21st.

Petey-ed

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2009
A game called "Solitaire" was just updated for iOS 4.0. Works perfectly with background API.

j-a-x

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 15, 2005
Houston, Texas
Since we keep seeing more apps, I am guessing what has already been approved was not done so accidentally. I am guessing we will see many more over the next few days. However, I agree that it is weird that Pandora wasn't the first 4.0 app approved.

Petey-ed

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2009
Since we keep seeing more apps, I am guessing what has already been approved was not done so accidentally. I am guessing we will see many more over the next few days. However, I agree that it is weird that Pandora wasn't the first 4.0 app approved.

This is their landmark app. Expect to see it over the weekend before Monday for sure.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Am I the only one who can't get background audio to work? If I'm listening to something and switch to Safari or close the app, the audio stops. What's happening is the audio is still playing in the App, but it's not playing when I switch to another App.

All of the other API's seem to work. Like the saved state feature.

iOS 4 has NOT been released yet.

As soon as iOs 4 is OFFICIALLY released apps like Pandora will update their app to enable it to play in the background. Jobs showed off the version of Pandora that will be released along with iOS 4.

People really need to wait until the 21st when iOS 4 is released. Keep in mind the only people that are supposed to have iOS 4 are developers not the average user.

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
Fandango updated for me a few days ago - it said "iOS4 support" but I don't think it was anything other than tested with iOS4. That app does not seem to implement any multitasking APIs.

Fandango was crashing on my 3GS with 4.0 on it. Couldn't do anything useful with it until their update.

I'm not sure what multitasking APIs Fandango could even use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.