PDA

View Full Version : how do i move iPhoto library to external hd?

jch30
Jun 17, 2010, 09:20 AM
I need more space on my hd. A lot of space is being taken up by family photos in iPhoto. How do I move those photos to an external hd to free up space on the the Macbook?

AndyK
Jun 17, 2010, 01:19 PM
Are you having issues with how to get an external drive to actually interface with your mac or what to do with it once it is? Or perhaps both?

UltraNEO*
Jun 17, 2010, 04:42 PM
I need more space on my hd. A lot of space is being taken up by family photos in iPhoto. How do I move those photos to an external hd to free up space on the the Macbook?

Simplest way...

You can just drag the iPhoto Library to another drive, create a short-cut or alias (as Apple calls it) where it was... Just make sure the external storage device is on and active when you come to use iPhoto.

pacmania1982
Jun 18, 2010, 08:58 AM
Simplest way...

You can just drag the iPhoto Library to another drive, create a short-cut or alias (as Apple calls it) where it was... Just make sure the external storage device is on and active when you come to use iPhoto.

Alternatively - do the first bit, move the library to your external drive, then open iPhoto and it'll ask you to create a new library or choose an existing one

pac

skybolt
Jun 18, 2010, 10:03 AM
Here'sthe way Apple says to do it: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=iPhoto/8.0/en/6331.html