Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jch30

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2010
I need more space on my hd. A lot of space is being taken up by family photos in iPhoto. How do I move those photos to an external hd to free up space on the the Macbook?

AndyK

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2008
Terra
Are you having issues with how to get an external drive to actually interface with your mac or what to do with it once it is? Or perhaps both?

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
I need more space on my hd. A lot of space is being taken up by family photos in iPhoto. How do I move those photos to an external hd to free up space on the the Macbook?

Simplest way...

You can just drag the iPhoto Library to another drive, create a short-cut or alias (as Apple calls it) where it was... Just make sure the external storage device is on and active when you come to use iPhoto.

pacmania1982

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2006
Birmingham, UK
Simplest way...

You can just drag the iPhoto Library to another drive, create a short-cut or alias (as Apple calls it) where it was... Just make sure the external storage device is on and active when you come to use iPhoto.

Alternatively - do the first bit, move the library to your external drive, then open iPhoto and it'll ask you to create a new library or choose an existing one

pac

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.