Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TBR

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 14, 2004
Blackpool - England
Well I'm officially scared.

This morning before work I was using my mac when it turned itself off. Not just a restart but off completly. I panic'd as you would and checked the power cord at the back. It was slightly loose (as it always is) so i pushed it in harder and used a piece of thin card to make the fit tighter. Turned it on and went to work.

Got home from work and the machine had turned itself off again, sometime after lunchtime as I had accessed the machine from the pc at work to get a file. Although it is possible someone else in the house had turned it off. Not had a chance to find out yet.

Then I used the machine for a few minutes after turning it on and again the machine turned itself off.

Now I'm really panicing!!

I had to go out in 5 mins so did a quick startup with the instalation disk to verify the HD and it was ok. So I turned it off and left the house. I'm not going to be back in the house for 24 hours so I'm currently at a friends quickly typing up this plea for help.

Anybody got any idea's??

dogday

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2004
Liverpool - UK
I'm not into the technical side, although if you bought it within the last year the warranty should still be intact. Ring Apple, explain the situation and they should take it from there.

applekid

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2003
Nothing in the Energy Saver control panel that's out of the ordinary, specifically under the Schedule tab?

Jimong5

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
if you can find the PMU reset buttion ( a small usually black button on the motherboard) you could try pressing that to see if it fixes the problem too.

that is, if the iMac G4 even has one, and its user accesable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.