Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

butters149

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 22, 2009
Hi,

Just wondering what the best note-taking app was? I want the kind where you can use a stylus of some sort and write and it'll recognize your writing. I heard WritePad was good, are there any that is better? Also what kind of stylus is recommended?

caubeck

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2007
Hi,

Just wondering what the best note-taking app was? I want the kind where you can use a stylus of some sort and write and it'll recognize your writing. I heard WritePad was good, are there any that is better? Also what kind of stylus is recommended?

That's the only handwriting recognition app available now.

caubeck

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2007
I've just redownloaded it, and I like the latest version much more. It's no longer dull and colorless. I can use this, but I wouldn't say a stylus is as useful as one may think.

deaffob

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2010
I think it really depends on what kind of note takings you do. For me, I need to write symbols and graphs in many of my classes so I prefer natural handwriting apps like Note Taker HD. But sounds like all you need is text, if so, why don't you just use the on screen keyboard with any office product? I can type pretty accurately with landscaped iPad keyboard.

butters149

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 22, 2009
Well I just bought the iPad yesterday, I will be going back to school in a couple months, going to take some science courses, bio, chem, etc. Any recommendations? I think those are a mix of writing and some drawing? (cells, chemical bonds, etc).

deaffob

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2010
Well I'm biochem major and most of the note-takings I do are with chemical symbols and equations. I could never take notes if all I have is keyboard. I tried that and it didn't work for me. I got Note Taker HD cause it's like writing on paper. I can do anything and draw anything. It's really up to what you need. I heard penultimate is a good alternative.

butters149

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 22, 2009
Ok Ill try that, what kind of stylus do u use? Also do you have a screenshot of a note you take?

deaffob

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2010
@butters I don't use stylus. Also you should know that if you plan on buying a stylus, you should take a look at penultimate because it has that write-protection feature so it would be a lot easier to write with penultimate. However, I still prefer Note Taker HD cause, the writing box make any writings look better especially since I write with my index finger.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.