Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

westam

macrumors member
Original poster
May 8, 2010
Hey guys,

I released my first iPhone game (BarStar) this week! we are getting very good reviews.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/bar-star/id364599384?mt=8

We built an engine from scratch for this game and future games.

We are a small company and have had help from many forums. I'd like to help the community back by giving some source code back to the community.

its a professional grade production so the code is pretty solid. what parts of the code would be good to give out?

I figure the image loader or the Sound engine would be a good stand along module that would help indie developer save time and production cycles.

ALso what is the best approach to do this (licensing, hosting, etc).

Thanks

Wes

NickVellios

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2010
I think developers will be happy with any code you release. Looks like a polished game. I released the code to my apps under my own simple license. You really should look into what licenses work for you and protect your intellectual property.

Google code will allow you to host but I believe it is better suited for full projects not just snippets.

westam

macrumors member
Original poster
May 8, 2010
I think developers will be happy with any code your release. Looks like a polished game. I released the code to my apps under my own simple license. You really should look into what licenses work for you and protect your intellectual property.

Google code will allow you to host but I believe it is better suited for full projects not just snippets.

Thanks for the input! the sound library was a bit of a pain (threading and streaming for music). its nothing cleaver but it should save people man hours. I'll look to post something in the next few weeks as we are tiding up code following the launch :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.