PDA

View Full Version : Recording on PowerBook Using Internal Microphone?

NEENAHBOY
Oct 20, 2004, 05:08 PM
How exactly do you record an audio file on a PowerBook and burn the file to a CD?

cluthz
Oct 20, 2004, 05:35 PM
use an audio recording app. garageband is bundled with all new macs.
if you don't have it, buy ilife 04 or get an another recording app.

sahnert
Oct 20, 2004, 05:48 PM
audacity is a good free audio app. don't have a link, but google should find it.

Logik
Oct 20, 2004, 08:06 PM
i use Audio HiJack Pro... great app.. i use it for recording class lectures and scheduled NPR programs and such while i'm at work or busy.

my only beef with using the pb built in mic is that it picks up keyboard typing... if you plan on doing anything like that i'd buy an external mic... does anyone have a good USB mic recommendations.. preverably some sort of flexible cable that i can use in class with limited room and not ahve to place it on a desk.. i looked at the imic or whatever from griffin but wasn't pleased with the size of it or the fact i'd have to set it on a desk and a few of my classrooms i barely have enough room for my powerbook. :-/

mms
Oct 20, 2004, 08:21 PM
I usually use Sound Studio.
http://www.felttip.com/products/soundstudio/
It's not free (14 day free trial) but it's pretty useful, with the ability to do a lot of sound file editing as well. However, note that the internal mic isn't of too high of a quality, so that if you plan to do anything serious or record music, you would definitely want to get an external mic.

NEENAHBOY
Oct 20, 2004, 09:07 PM
So if I were to get an iMic or iTalk or whatever it is for the iPod (so many i's!!!) I assume I'd be able to get the recording file off the iPod into iTunes and then just burn a CD from there, right?

Logik
Oct 20, 2004, 09:09 PM
So if I were to get an iMic or iTalk or whatever it is for the iPod (so many i's!!!) I assume I'd be able to get the recording file off the iPod into iTunes and then just burn a CD from there, right?

yes

mms
Oct 20, 2004, 10:12 PM
Keep in mind that the the microphones that plug into the iPod are capable of recording only speech and are not suitable for music, so they will not be much if at all an improvement over the PowerBook internal mic.