Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MBX

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 14, 2006
Hi there

I get constant AE CS5 crashes. Everything freezes and the screen starts flickering like crazy. Sometimes AE CS5 crashes without freezing my computer and i get a message saying something like "OpenGL error".

The freeze and flicker must surely be related to it as well.

I don't know if it's an AE issue or if it has to do with 10.6.x, i thought Apple had improved OpenGL but maybe it still sucks on the Mac somewhat.

I'm on a MPB 17'' 2009, 2.93ghz, 8GB Ram, 512mb Nvidia GForce 9600M GT

Any idea? Do I need to turn off OGL in AE? Sucks a bit not being able to use GPU.

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
...I get constant AE CS5 crashes.....
How are you finding AE CS5? This time around, I held back on upgrading our department (Motion Design mostly) due to the hell of upgrading to CS4 back in 2007 (2008?).
AE CS4 used to crash on a dozen times a day and not always related to openGL.
The Adobe error report pop-up is burned on most of our displays :p
We use it mostly on MacPro's running FX4800 and 16GB RAM.
Ive been researching Photoshop CS5 issues and so far Im hearing bad stuff.

MBX

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 14, 2006
Never use OpenGL. Just keep it set to Adaptive Resolution. OpenGL's only a tease.

I did that but now it froze/ flickered my system again only because i was scrubbing in the time-line, argh.

What could it be?

levroi

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2010
Hi there

I get constant AE CS5 crashes. Everything freezes and the screen starts flickering like crazy. Sometimes AE CS5 crashes without freezing my computer and i get a message saying something like "OpenGL error".

The freeze and flicker must surely be related to it as well.

I don't know if it's an AE issue or if it has to do with 10.6.x, i thought Apple had improved OpenGL but maybe it still sucks on the Mac somewhat.

I'm on a MPB 17'' 2009, 2.93ghz, 8GB Ram, 512mb Nvidia GForce 9600M GT

Any idea? Do I need to turn off OGL in AE? Sucks a bit not being able to use GPU.

Hi,

I'm having the exact same trouble here.
I use a Mac Pro (late 2008) quad-core 10 GB, standard video card (Nvidia 120 something) with the official CS5, so updates al around I expected. But no updates relating any of these issues.

My screen does the exact same. When I scrub the timeline or when I move keyframes that influence the image of that certain point in time, I see sometimes only one short flicker, then I know I have been lucky, but most of the times it immediately crashes. The displays flicker and I can only hard reboot the system, by holding down the power button for several seconds.

And I've tried all the preview-options in preferences. With OpenGL, without, with adaptive resolution to all options. Without some of the OpenGL features. I tried it all. My expericence is that the system is more stabile without OpenGL (although I had the same crashes without it as well...), but much slower when I am working on bigger projects. So I really need this GPU feature.

It happens about 10 times a day, terrible. I spent over 8.000 on hard and software lately, thinking only the best for me... Ouch. Still having same old Windows-like nonsense trouble.

If anyone finds a solution, please respond here....

CaptainChunk

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
My experience has been that CS4 and CS5 are both alike in this regard. As mentioned before, use adaptive resolution for your RAM previews. The OpenGL engine is buggy and at times unreliable and it doesn't just affect the Mac version. It happens in Windows, too. Sometimes, it's a matter of a particular GPU not responding the way AE would like with certain OGL function calls, triggering a crash.

Plus, Adobe hasn't released any updates to AE CS5 yet, so we're kinda stuck on this matter until they do.

Actually, the single most annoying aspect of the AE CS5 upgrade for me has been plug-ins. CS5 only works with 64-bit plug-ins, rendering the 32-bit plug-ins I already had useless. Thankfully, some plug-in developers (like Red Giant) have addressed this pretty well with updates, but others, not so much.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.