Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

radicaldog

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 1, 2010
The title says it all: low CPU activity, and yet the fan whirrs like crazy, and I guess the exhaust fan rpm figure is too high. What's wrong with my trusty BlackBook? Could it be due to the fact that I upgraded to a 320Gb HDD?

Thanks in advance for your help.

radicaldog

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 1, 2010
Slightly different conditions now, after watching a couple of minutes of video: loud fan, no whirr, 87% idle, 6100 rpm, 37c HDD, 64c CPU, heatsinks in the mid-fifties. What's the prognosis?

Pax

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2003
You might have a faulty internal temperature sensor. If the Mac detects no reading from a sensor it can go into fail safe mode where it runs the fans at full speed.

Run Hardware Test (on the install DVD). That will show up any faulty sensors. Sensors are quite cheap to fix.

edit: I would not install fan control software yet. I think you may have some kind of problem. IMHO you should try and resolve the problem rather than just masking it with fan control software. Otherwise you might cook some internal component.

radicaldog

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 1, 2010
SMC reset did nothing. Might have to take it to an Apple centre. Hope they don't charge me just to look at it.

Pax

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2003
You might want to take a look at this thread - very similar symptoms
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/954136/

What are your temps and fan speed at idle ie all programs closed, Activity Monitor showing <2% CPU?

If your fan always runs at 6200 rpm that's the symptom of a bad temperature sensor. But from your earlier post it seems to vary from 5300 up to 6200. Therefore I don't think it's the temp sensor (sorry, I should have read your post properly).

Could you post all your temperatures when the fan is at 6200 rpm? You can take a screenshot of iStat and post it here. (reason - it's possible that some other component is hot & the fan is working to cool that. Your HDD is warm but not amazingly so).

Blocked air path? When the fan is at 6200 rpm, you should feel a strong air flow out of the hinge.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.