Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rilina

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2004
I just bought a red Tucano SecondSkin sleeve for the 12" iBook and gray Tucano messenger bag ("Cobra" style, "horizontal limit messenger") for 12" laptops. The combined cost for both from Royal Business was $50, including standard shipping.

You can find my full review with photos here. A few highlights:

(1) Both items are very attractive and customized for Apple laptops. (They have iBook and powerbook specific sleeves, and the bag is for Apple 12" laptops.) I was a bit worried that the red sleeve would be too orangey, but that's not the case.

(2) The messenger bag's main virtue is being small without being overly minimalist. I don't like to carry too much when I travel, but I do want space for a book or papers and my accessories (power brick, mouse, iPod, etc). This size is perfect for me. It's probably a little too small for students who have more to carry to a regular basis.

(3) The iBook fits perfectly in the padded laptop section of the bag. Just one problem--it's too snug a fit. Once you put the iBook in its sleeve, it no longer fits. I guess you're not meant to be using the bag in combination with a sleeve. This is annoying, but not so much that I'd consider returning the bag. Apparently powerbooks in their sleeves do fit in the padded laptop section just fine.

(4) The special iPod pocket on the bag is probably also too snug if you like to keep your iPod in its case, like me. But it is great for cell phones!

(5) The strap is nicely padded and adjustable to a nice range of lengths.

I hope this information is useful to someone on the market for a bag. :)

kant

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2004
nice review. thanks.

wish you could have done it a couple of months ago when I was looking for an iBook solution. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.