PDA

View Full Version : Camera kit and/or alternatives

sfphoto
Jun 17, 2010, 08:03 PM
Anyone know of a source for the Apple Kit other than $$$ on fleabay or Amazon?

Wonder too if anyone here has tried this:
http://www.zoomitonline.com/

macpluslaptop
Jun 17, 2010, 08:14 PM
I learned today from a topnotch Apple reseller that the reason the camera connection kits can't be found anywhere is that Apple has withdrawn them and is furiously reengineering the kits. Apparently Apple never intended that the kits have USB capabilities and it's going to make sure that the iPad doesn't get this functionality.

Because then someone might think it replaces a laptop...

sfphoto
Jun 17, 2010, 09:27 PM
That would explain the 6 week backorder notice at their site

wodeh
Jun 18, 2010, 03:41 AM
Yeah... why change software when you can totally redesign the hardware!

Come on, how could support for USB devices be unintentional? The first thing people do when they get a USB port onto something like that is plug everything USB compatible in their house into it, if Steve didn't do the same, then I question his geeklihood!

I walked into the store and bought my adaptor set, easy!

macpluslaptop
Jun 18, 2010, 06:56 AM
The first thing people do when they get a USB port onto something like that is plug everything USB compatible in their house into it

I don't think the consumers the iPad is aimed at would think to do so, and this may be a rare example of unintended consequences for Apple. In any case, this remains the most plausible explanation for why the camera connection kit has vanished from the market. Apple will rerelease a crippled version that can't be used for anything except pic transfers (which is what I wanted all along). Mark my words.

But they won't release it in time for my summer travels, which annoys me no end.:mad:

DarkAether
Jun 18, 2010, 07:26 AM
Ooh conspiracy theories based on little evidence....

Um, the simple fact is that there has been an overwhelming unexpected demand for Ipads and associated accessories. Just like Apple is weeks behind on keeping up with the demands on the cases, they're also behind on the camera kits. In fact, mine - ordered 3_4 weeks ago - shipped a few days ago and is due to deliver today.

Lamarak
Jun 18, 2010, 07:44 AM

Um, the simple fact is that there has been an overwhelming unexpected demand for Ipads and associated accessories. Just like Apple is weeks behind on keeping up with the demands on the cases, they're also behind on the camera kits. In fact, mine - ordered 3_4 weeks ago - shipped a few days ago and is due to deliver today.

+1 Mine also is out on a fed ex truck to be delivered. ordered 5/21

macpluslaptop
Jun 18, 2010, 08:03 AM
The place that gave me this information is hugely reputable but I probably shouldn't name them. I ordered my CCK about a month ago from 2 different places, and I can only hope you're right.

foiden
Jun 18, 2010, 11:01 AM
Yeah. I am annoyed as well. I really planned on getting one of those kits in time for my trip to the bahamas, and it has become impossible to do so. I've been trying to get one of these kits since they launched, and it seems it's never once been in stores.

Apple says it'll ship mine on August 2nd. Yep. More than Two weeks past my vacation which is nearly a month from now. Love it.

It's like they *knew* people would want to use it over the summer, and then they make it unavailable. Over the summer.

danpass
Jun 18, 2010, 12:10 PM

yeah, the CCK is made with a special component called 'shortsightedness'

I put my order in yesterday (before reading this thread lol) in the hopes that I get it in time for my JULY 30 trip :rolleyes:

foiden
Jun 18, 2010, 12:43 PM
The oddest aspect of this conspiracy is why iPads are in abundance, yet they can't seem to make the Camera Connection Kits. If you go to the store, they'll have an iPad in your hands, within a week. The CCK, no sir, wait two months.

danpass
Jun 18, 2010, 03:14 PM
yeah, the CCK is made with a special component called 'shortsightedness'

I put my order in yesterday (before reading this thread lol) in the hopes that I get it in time for my JULY 30 trip :rolleyes:

IPAD CAMERA CONNECTION KIT
Ships: Jul 30
Delivers: Aug 4

bas-TARDS :mad:

sfphoto
Jun 18, 2010, 11:32 PM
Called a dozen Apple stores in CA, OR, IL, FL and New England - all are out and have not had for some time. Best Buy does not have - not sure they ever did even though they list it.

Try searchallcraigs.com and make offers. Just because they are asking $XX does not mean they wont take less.

Try fleaybay - $58 delivered from several sellers.

Hard to swallow but after all, these 'original' versions might be worth their weight in gold if there really is a crippled version coming out.

sgosine
Jun 18, 2010, 11:40 PM
I noticed that they had several in stock at the boulder apple store a few days ago. If you want I would be open to sending them to whomever for cost& shipping. If you are having trouble finding in your neck ofthe woods...

gigaguy
Jun 19, 2010, 12:33 AM
I call bs on the re-engineering the cam kits. It,s obvious adding an input of any kind is extremely sought after, and demand exceeds supply. Look at the apple cases, still over a month to get and there are hundreds of other cases out there people can buy anywhere...oh, maybe they are re-engineering it too!
BUT there is only 1 camera kit, and 1-1.5 million ipads sold monthly. And it's summer vacation time and cameras are being used along with ipads. Apple could have easily only offered flash card doggles, if they were so worried about USB, why offer it then? They didn't have to.

foiden
Jun 19, 2010, 03:16 AM
True. Though I kind of wish they separated the things and sold them for $15 each if they're going to have manufacturing issues for demand. I'd be happy with just the SD card reader, myself. That's the part I'd use the most since photo transfer would be my main use. Not to mention, if I'm going to transfer stuff from the camera, I'd rather just use the power during transfers on a device that has a 10 hour battery life; not the one with barely and hours worth.

It's good that they seem to actually be able to make iPads at speed, just a shame that the other stuff doesn't get 1/4th the treatment. Is the camera kits really selling at a 1:1 ratio for iPad sales?

DarkAether
Jun 19, 2010, 05:48 AM
The place that gave me this information is hugely reputable but I probably shouldn't name them.

Especially since this knocks down their rep by showing that they're full of cr@p. ;)

My kit arrived yesterday and it's functionality is no different than the findings of those who were able to purchase one at launch. :D

-A

anemone
Jun 19, 2010, 06:26 AM
I got lucky and managed to get a camera kit by checking every time I was near an Apple store (I have 3 relatively nearby). Got one a couple of weeks ago shortly after the store opened (Fair Oaks, VA). They said they had just received two. Needless to say, I bought one.

Hammie
Jun 19, 2010, 02:10 PM
I highly doubt that they would re-engineer them. Besides, I spoke to a friend who does interface software development and said that chences of them changing the hardware to accommodate what the "rumor" is is not likely. The smarter place would be in the iOS and then limit EVERY camera connection kit. Why cripple some and not others?

I don't do software programming or even pretend to, but this was his thoughts on the subject.

sandydlc
Jun 19, 2010, 07:43 PM
I just bit the bullet and ordered a kit from eBay. I have one on order from apple but it won't arrive before my vacation.

If the demand is still high when mine comes in, hopefully I'll still make my money back.

pooryou
Jun 21, 2010, 05:27 AM
I learned today from a topnotch Apple reseller that the reason the camera connection kits can't be found anywhere is that Apple has withdrawn them and is furiously reengineering the kits. Apparently Apple never intended that the kits have USB capabilities and it's going to make sure that the iPad doesn't get this functionality.

Because then someone might think it replaces a laptop...

If they really told you that your reseller is an idiot.

macpluslaptop
Jun 21, 2010, 10:43 AM
If they really told you that your reseller is an idiot.

Funny, you nailed it. MacIdiots. I didn't want to name them earlier, but now the secret's out.