Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robertpetry

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 12, 2009
St Augustine, FL
Hello,

Quick question, If I buy a used iPod Touch that has games on it will I lose them as soon as I try to sync it with another computer or with my iTunes account?

DragonJade

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2009
As you know, when you buy games, they are purchased by a person and their Apple account - this is also tagged in the actually game file. When you plug the Touch into a computer to sync, it will periodically ask you for your Apple username and password (of all the songs/apps on the device). If you can't provide them, I suspect it won't let you sync, or remove them from your device.

So, you're either stuck with the Touch as it is, or update it with your own library, and loose the stuff that's on the Touch. That is, unless the person yuo bought it from is willing to provide their username and password to you.

na1577

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2008
^ Correct. When you first sync the device to your computer, it will have to be restored. Apple doesn't allow iPods to be synced with multiple computers. Before restoring the iPod, you will be asked to transfer purchases from the iPod to your computer.

After the device is done restoring, you will be able to sync your media onto the device. This includes the purchased apps that were originally on the iPod. However, these apps will not sync to the iPod unless they are authorized with the original owner's Apple ID and password.

robertpetry

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 12, 2009
St Augustine, FL
Cool. That is what I thought. I am looking at a used iPod Touch and the seller is talking about all the great games that will come on it....

Not much use if I have to have his music on it.

liamkp

macrumors 68020
May 29, 2010
you can just ask him to erase it, and restore it to factory settings, i think that is stupid, how it doesnt let you sink on multiple computers, but i guess it makes them more money.

DragonJade

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2009
Cool. That is what I thought. I am looking at a used iPod Touch and the seller is talking about all the great games that will come on it....

Not much use if I have to have his music on it.

Well, you've got two basic choices. One is never hook it up to a computer to add new programs or music to it, and you'll be able to keep everything that's on the iPod as it is. The other is to actually connect it to a computer to put what you want on it, and loose everything that's on the device as it is now.

liamkp

macrumors 68020
May 29, 2010
im pretty sure he wouldnt mind deleting everything, itll save you some time... maybe.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.