PDA

View Full Version : Mac Pro Quad-Core or 8-Core

neald
Jun 17, 2010, 08:32 PM
I currently have a PPC G5 Mac, looking to get a new mac pro. I
frequently use photoshop, dreamweaver, flash. I am also looking to do more
with video (final cut) and also dive into after effects.

Would it make more sense for me to go with a Quad-Core 2.93GHz or 8-core
2.26GHz? I want to keep the cost down if possible...

Also, with people saying that a mac pro refresh is overdue, should I wait it out a little? I am kind of desperate to get on the new Adobe Creative Suite though.

Thanks in advance.

markiv810
Jun 17, 2010, 09:16 PM

Also, with people saying that a mac pro refresh is overdue, should I wait it out a little? I am kind of desperate to get on the new Adobe Creative Suite though.

Thanks in advance.

I would say wait a while before jumping the gun and buying Mac Pro. It's been more than 400 days since the Mac pro has been updated, so it could be any day now. Maybe Apple would use the six-core Intel Processor, I would say wait a while.

thehost250
Jun 18, 2010, 12:01 AM
In the event that you just need to get one now definitely go with the quad 2.93 over the 8 core 2.26. Most people on here will agree the quad 2.93 is faster than the 8 core 2.26 which really shouldn't exist.
While many will also tell you to wait (until whenever) if your needs dictate one now then go with the quad 2.93. If you can wait, do so. However, don't fall into the "any day now" trap because no one knows.

Deepshade
Jun 18, 2010, 04:17 AM

Thanks in advance.

Exactly the same boat here. Much as I'd like to upgrade our current macs I'm going to wait until the end of the month a see how things pan out.

Plutonius
Jun 18, 2010, 06:34 AM

Thanks in advance.

If you need it get it now.

Go with the quad 2.93 with 12gb memory.

Plutonius
Jun 18, 2010, 06:40 AM
I would say wait a while before jumping the gun and buying Mac Pro. It's been more than 400 days since the Mac pro has been updated, so it could be any day now. Maybe Apple would use the six-core Intel Processor, I would say wait a while.

It can also be next year. The 2.93 quad is a very nice machine and it should have a very good resale value when you decide to upgrade again.

Note: When they do finally release a new mp, it will probably have a big price increase and many willl be rushing to get the last gen mp before they sell out :P .

jerry333
Jun 18, 2010, 07:45 AM
I have an 8-core (three years old now) and a couple of 2.93 quad core. I can definitely feel the slowness in the quad core compared to the 8-core (the power supply failed in the 8-core and I had to use one of the quad cores in it's place).

If possible, wait for the next Mac Pro. If not--don't worry too much about it.

Vylen
Jun 18, 2010, 07:52 AM
I have an 8-core (three years old now) and a couple of 2.93 quad core. I can definitely feel the slowness in the quad core compared to the 8-core (the power supply failed in the 8-core and I had to use one of the quad cores in it's place).

If possible, wait for the next Mac Pro. If not--don't worry too much about it.

slowness in doing what though?

jerry333
Jun 18, 2010, 08:27 AM
It seems general, as if everything is just a bit "off". I can't say there's one particular application that's slow than others. Also the activity monitor is often pegged, which seldom happens on the 8-core.

The data is on an Xserve RAID fibre attached to the Mac Pro. While the power supply is being repaired, all the internal disks and cards were moved from the 8-core to the quad core so there isn't much that is different other than the quad core part.

This isn't to say that there couldn't be some application that's faster on a quad core, but that's not what I've experienced.

chaosbunny
Jun 18, 2010, 08:30 AM
If you absolutely need it now and decide to go with the quad you might as well save some money and buy the 2,66 ghz model. There is not too much difference between that and 2,93 - don't fall for the ghz myth. The biggest limitation of the quads are their maximum ram limit of 16 gb, which is plenty now, but in 3 years with CS7 etc. you might be happy to have the ability to upgrade to 20+ gb.

That said, especially the quad models offer terrible value for money right now - you basically pay almost 1500 bucks just for OS X and the pretty case. If you can wait, wait.