PDA

View Full Version : Account information at Apple Store

scwinsett
Jun 18, 2010, 12:24 AM
Okay, I have talked to multiple Apple employees and have gotten multiple answers, so I am confused.

I am an authorized user, but not the primary account holder. When I got the 3GS at the AT&T store last year, I was there by myself, without the primary acct holder, and they let me sign a new contract myself.

A few days ago, I called AT&T, and they said since I am an authorized user, I should be able to renew my contract and get iPhone 4 without the presence of the primary acct holder.

I talked to an Apple Employee on Apple Store chat, and he told me the primary acct holder must be there, then I reconnected to another Apple employee over chat, and he said I could do it myself since I am an authorized user!

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT IS TRUE?

s8film40
Jun 18, 2010, 12:39 AM
Yeah, I've gotten a lot of conflicting information on this as well. I probably would have been safer pre-ordering it but after talking with my local Apple store twice and them telling me I was OK to buy the new phone as the authorized user I decided to reserve at the Apple store, now I just have to hope they hold true to their word.

scwinsett
Jun 18, 2010, 12:40 AM
I tried to pre-order, but I couldn't get through. I can't very well drag the primary to the apple store at 7am

RealSkyDiver
Jun 18, 2010, 12:47 AM
what does this have to do with launch meetups??

scwinsett
Jun 18, 2010, 12:48 AM
eh.. it has to do with LAUNCH... this is the closest forum i saw

s8film40
Jun 18, 2010, 10:51 AM
what does this have to do with launch meetups??

Absolutely everything, we're going there to actually try to get the phone after all.

But yeah it's probably in the wrong section but this whole forum is a mess right now, just adds to the excitement.

s8film40
Jun 18, 2010, 10:53 AM
I talked to my local Apple store again to verify my reservation, and they have again confirmed that as long as I am an authorized user and have the account holders information (SSN) I'm good to go.

scwinsett
Jun 18, 2010, 01:00 PM
I talked to my local Apple store again to verify my reservation, and they have again confirmed that as long as I am an authorized user and have the account holders information (SSN) I'm good to go.

Thanks for this confirmation. I have called around and still been told conflicting things, but hopefully this is just due to confusion. Apple seems to hire Apple Store employees based strictly on their appearance, so hopefully the negative responses were just moron employees.

jason221
Jun 18, 2010, 01:16 PM
What qualifies you as being an "authorized user?" Do you just need to be currently on the family plan?

saky
Jun 18, 2010, 02:25 PM
Then again check out this AT&T FAQ, it says that for the Apple Store the Primary Account Holder has to be present.

http://www.wireless.att.com/answer-center/main.jsp?t=solutionTab&ft=searchTab&ps=solutionPanels&locale=en_US&_dyncharset=UTF-8&solutionId=KB110035&isSrch=Yes

scwinsett
Jun 18, 2010, 07:16 PM
I have called TWO DIFFERENT Apple Stores, BOTH of them said as long as an authorized user is there it is fine.

HOWEVER: YOU MUST KNOW THE SSN OF THE PRIMARY ACCT HOLDER

s8film40
Jun 18, 2010, 10:40 PM
Then again check out this AT&T FAQ, it says that for the Apple Store the Primary Account Holder has to be present.

http://www.wireless.att.com/answer-center/main.jsp?t=solutionTab&ft=searchTab&ps=solutionPanels&locale=en_US&_dyncharset=UTF-8&solutionId=KB110035&isSrch=Yes

I have specifically asked about this and they still say it's OK. I really hope it isn't a problem if it is I will at least have a very valid complaint since they told me it was OK.