PDA

View Full Version : Glasgow, Scotland - UK (iP4)

billyjoegibsonx
Jun 18, 2010, 04:37 AM
Hey!

Did a search and it seems to only be threads for previous iPhone launches. With less than a week to go I thought I'd make a thread so we can talk about meeting up :)

So whos all going to the Apple store here in Glasgow? Have you reserved or not? What time are you going to que and....what iPhone are you going to get? 16/32gb? Will you be going PAYG or Contract? And with what carrier? :D

Also if you are going to a carrier store, i think its safe to say feel free to contribute to this thread :o

So let's get it started ... ;)

I have my 16gb iPhone 4 (to use on o2/orange payg) reserved to pick up on the 24th at Buchanan street store :D I phoned up and they said I could go in whenever and pick my phone up but I think just to be safe I'll be going in early as possible! I think ill turn up 7-8 am :)

BrEEdAA
Jun 18, 2010, 05:30 AM
Hey mate,

Im heading along to the Glasgow store on launch day too, going to get there for 7am. I've never been so early on launch day but gotta get to work afterwards so will see how it goes.

Pre-ordered the 16gb, black, unlocked/sim free whatever ye wanna call it, canny wait :D

sneeks
Jun 18, 2010, 05:54 AM
I'll be there between 7am-8am and have reserved a 32gb :)

billyjoegibsonx
Jun 18, 2010, 06:39 AM
Hey mate,

Im heading along to the Glasgow store on launch day too, going to get there for 7am. I've never been so early on launch day but gotta get to work afterwards so will see how it goes.

Pre-ordered the 16gb, black, unlocked/sim free whatever ye wanna call it, canny wait

Same as me then :) I'm going to try get in for 7am, If not then 8am...if thats no possible then it'll need to be in the afternoon! but hopefully 7-8am :D

Do you think we will actually be guaranteed one? If not, will 7-8am be fine to turn up?

BrEEdAA
Jun 18, 2010, 01:42 PM
We should be guaranteed one, according to the email it will be kept for that 1 day...still going down for 7am though, easier to go before my work :)

spikescot2005
Jun 18, 2010, 02:27 PM
I have reserved a 16gb black but was going to get to the store for about 6:30 and hope they have white ones in stock at the store. I have never been on a launch day.

Is there massive queues at the Glasgow store on a launch day?

What time would you guys suggest getting there for to get a near the front of the queue?

billyjoegibsonx
Jun 18, 2010, 03:17 PM
Yeah i phoned them up and said yeah i should get one, but i'm going to try get there early as possible :) and if they have any white ones available, which i doubt, and you can get one then i will :)

This is my first launch at any apple store :) but everyone thats posted seems to be looking at turning up about 7-8am :)

raymondkerr
Jun 18, 2010, 04:29 PM
I've reserved a 16GB Black, not sure if the white ones will be available on the 24th. I don't know whether to change from O2 and go with Orange, I used to be an Orange customer before the iPhone and it was a decent network. But my understanding is, that Apple are selling them without a carrier, i.e. unlocked and network free. Not sure after what I have read, whether you will actually get a SIM package at the Apple Store. Might have to pay a visit to O2 or Orange shops after getting the phone.

Although I've been watching videos about how to cut down your SIM Card to fit in the micro SIM slot. I know that O2 are giving out Micro SIMS to existing customers as of Monday if you can provide a copy of your iPhone 4 pre-order, just don't know if this applies to reservations, as my reservation email from Apple doesn't actually give personal details or a res. number.

I plan on getting to the Glasgow Store as early as possible on the 24th. I have a day off work and normally get up at 5:30am anyway, so getting there early shouldn't be a problem. My mate has a 16GB Black on reserve as well.

Looking forward to it, I got my iPad on launch day, but it was shipped out. Last year on the 19th of June, I went into the Glasgow Apple store in the afternoon after work and picked up a 3SG that I hadn't reserved or pre-ordered, but I don't think there was the same demand for the 3GS as there is for the iPhone 4.

Lets hope the weather stays as is, I don't fancy standing in the rain, would have been cool if the store was in a shopping centre. Maybe we'll have to brave the scottish weather. :-)

Can't wait.

Raymond

billyjoegibsonx
Jun 18, 2010, 04:50 PM
I've reserved a 16GB Black, not sure if the white ones will be available on the 24th. I don't know whether to change from O2 and go with Orange, I used to be an Orange customer before the iPhone and it was a decent network. But my understanding is, that Apple are selling them without a carrier, i.e. unlocked and network free. Not sure after what I have read, whether you will actually get a SIM package at the Apple Store. Might have to pay a visit to O2 or Orange shops after getting the phone.

Although I've been watching videos about how to cut down your SIM Card to fit in the micro SIM slot. I know that O2 are giving out Micro SIMS to existing customers as of Monday if you can provide a copy of your iPhone 4 pre-order, just don't know if this applies to reservations, as my reservation email from Apple doesn't actually give personal details or a res. number.

I plan on getting to the Glasgow Store as early as possible on the 24th. I have a day off work and normally get up at 5:30am anyway, so getting there early shouldn't be a problem. My mate has a 16GB Black on reserve as well.

Looking forward to it, I got my iPad on launch day, but it was shipped out. Last year on the 19th of June, I went into the Glasgow Apple store in the afternoon after work and picked up a 3SG that I hadn't reserved or pre-ordered, but I don't think there was the same demand for the 3GS as there is for the iPhone 4.

Lets hope the weather stays as is, I don't fancy standing in the rain, would have been cool if the store was in a shopping centre. Maybe we'll have to brave the scottish weather. :-)

Can't wait.

Raymond

I hope the whites are available but if not then aslong as theres black ones!! :) lol I want it unlocked/sim free but i chose PAYG when making the reservation. Will this be okay? A read you can change but cant find it :( if i need to get it locked it'll be to o2, but i wouldnt get it locked to orange. I think apple might only give you a sim if you go with payg/contract. If u get one great if not then ill be trying o2 and orange, if i cant get one ill be cutting a sim up :) well i think i might print the email out, i'll have my iphone with me, and my current phone. So they cant really say no! Lol they'll see i have an iphone and am with o2. But we'll see! I'll be there as early as possible. Might get the first train into town at bout 6, and go que. Well the weather has been quite good lately but whatever ;) ive had worse. Sitting for 10 hours in the snow for concert tickets :o am sure ill manage for 2-3 hours in most likely nice weather :)

raymondkerr
Jun 18, 2010, 05:08 PM
I chose Orange on the reservation, just the stuff I've been reading since doing it on the 15th, makes me think you might not get a SIM package, but I think I could be wrong. Its a good idea to print off the email anyway, I'll be doing that. I've just sold my 3GS the other day, and I am using my O2 sim in another phone at the moment. I am going into the store tomorrow and might try and find out some more info from the staff, but I'll take my SIM along with me anyway. I want to keep my number and I still have credit on my original SIM which I know you can transfer.

Anyone know if the data usage differs from O2 and Orange ? I think you get free data for 12months and about 250mb allowance each month. Wondering if Orange's 3G is better than O2 ?

Raymond

billyjoegibsonx
Jun 18, 2010, 05:20 PM
I chose Orange on the reservation, just the stuff I've been reading since doing it on the 15th, makes me think you might not get a SIM package, but I think I could be wrong. Its a good idea to print off the email anyway, I'll be doing that. I've just sold my 3GS the other day, and I am using my O2 sim in another phone at the moment. I am going into the store tomorrow and might try and find out some more info from the staff, but I'll take my SIM along with me anyway. I want to keep my number and I still have credit on my original SIM which I know you can transfer.

Anyone know if the data usage differs from O2 and Orange ? I think you get free data for 12months and about 250mb allowance each month. Wondering if Orange's 3G is better than O2 ?

Raymond

I only know about payg. O2 text and web will give you unlimited internet which i think is 500mb a month. None sure about the limit on payg simplicity. Orange is offering 250mb data with free wifi (think this is 750mb) for 12 month:o

hippyharry
Jun 20, 2010, 01:13 PM
Ive got a 16GB reserved for pick up, but unfortunately Im at work from 8am. Will be heading into town around 11am to go pick it up.

I was in the store today handing in my MacBook casing to get repaired as cracks started to show up. They told me that we'll get emails sent out shortly explaining what will happen on launch day basically saying what to bring, different queues, etc.

There will be a queue for those just turning up on the day and a queue for those picking up a reservation.

Hopefully at 11am the queues will of died down a bit as this store is nothing like Regent Street! :)

redgaz26
Jun 21, 2010, 04:03 AM
I'll be there for 7am, possibly earlier!!!:D

The Samurai
Jun 21, 2010, 06:57 AM
'mon the Scots :D

redgaz26
Jun 21, 2010, 07:01 AM
'mon the Scots :D

Will you be there?? Hope to see you!!!

hippyharry
Jun 21, 2010, 09:18 AM
Anyone here had previous experiences of the queues?

I wont be there til mid-morning.

Will the queue still be big by 11am?

redgaz26
Jun 21, 2010, 09:42 AM
Anyone here had previous experiences of the queues?

I wont be there til mid-morning.

Will the queue still be big by 11am?

Have you reserved a phone ?? If so you have all day to go if not you may be lucky and they might still have some phones left by then, there certainly won't be a queue at that time.

hippyharry
Jun 21, 2010, 10:05 AM
Have you reserved a phone ?? If so you have all day to go if not you may be lucky and they might still have some phones left by then, there certainly won't be a queue at that time.

Ive got one reserved.

Still waiting to find out if there will be a seperate queue for reservations and one for those just turning up on the day.

johnnyi
Jun 21, 2010, 11:29 AM
I Take it the Apple Store is only for pay as you go not contracts.I was thinking of just going to the vodafone store on buchanan street or the one on argyle street.

Jonathan

redgaz26
Jun 21, 2010, 11:45 AM
contracts aswell!!

gordonnay
Jun 21, 2010, 02:18 PM
Hey fellow Scottish Apple fans! I've got a 32GB black reserved, I've got a flight down to Heathrow booked at 1040, so hoping to get there about 0730, I hope theres not too big a Q as dont want to leave without my phone, but not sure my work would be happy with that :D

redgaz26
Jun 21, 2010, 02:23 PM
Hey fellow Scottish Apple fans! I've got a 32GB black reserved, I've got a flight down to Heathrow booked at 1040, so hoping to get there about 0730, I hope theres not too big a Q as dont want to leave without my phone, but not sure my work would be happy with that :D

I'm sure you'll catch it:cool:

drunkenmonkey87
Jun 21, 2010, 03:48 PM
I shall be there bright and early, looking forward to it!

I've reserved a 16gb for o2 contract upgrade!

The Samurai
Jun 21, 2010, 04:43 PM

If not, you could give me the reservation money and code and ill pick it up for you :D.... and then leave the country :p

hippyharry
Jun 22, 2010, 05:15 AM
Just got my reservation email!

Wooooo. Good to see there will be a seperate queue :)

http://m.friendfeed-media.com/7b81103406571a0e4340b6e140f1d9c57b431ea0

The Samurai
Jun 22, 2010, 07:22 AM
Still not got mines :(

Im hoping that the servers are extemely busy pushing these emails out to thousands of people :D

raymondkerr
Jun 22, 2010, 08:05 AM
just received my reservation reminder email, I'll be at Buchanan Street bright and early, can't wait. I've been using an old samsung for about a week now and it is driving me crazy, I need my iPhone again - pleeeeaaassseee :rolleyes::apple: I'll be taking my old O2 PayGo SIM card with me, I might decide to try and cut the sim down to fit in the iP4, or would I beable to get the apple store to transfer my details to a micro sim ? I want to keep my number. If not I can go to a O2 store and pick up a micro sim, then go through the motions on the phone to get the number transferred. Can I still get my original PAC code, if I have already sold my old 3GS ? Is there anywhere in iTunes where I can find this without having the actual phone connected ?

gordonnay
Jun 22, 2010, 09:09 AM
If you pop into an o2 store they will give you a new micro sim for either contract or pay as you go! I went in to the Argyle St store yest and got mine, then you go ontohttp://www.o2.co.uk/swapmysim and within 15 mins was switched over! I think PAC codes are valid for 30 days or so not sure though may want to check with o2 but unless your changing to another network you won't need that.

sneeks
Jun 22, 2010, 09:18 AM
I'm hoping they will have a mix of staff, some dealing with contract customers who will take some time to place the order and others, like me, who are simply there to purchase a sim free iPhone 4 and get out of the shop fast.

johnnyi
Jun 22, 2010, 09:25 AM
Hi Guys,

Hoping to get a 32gb on vodafone do you think I should go to apple store and get one or for to the 3 vodafone stores in glasgow?.Also never done a launch at the store before usually just get them delivered what time you think I should arrive?

Cheers
Jonathan

billyjoegibsonx
Jun 22, 2010, 10:40 AM
I'm hoping they will have a mix of staff, some dealing with contract customers who will take some time to place the order and others, like me, who are simply there to purchase a sim free iPhone 4 and get out of the shop fast.

Thats my plan :o in an out :)

iphone4gtig
Jun 23, 2010, 04:13 AM
Lucky peps, I tried to go on the Glasgow store site but can't reserve it now looks like it been taken down,
Where did you guys reserve it on the site?

If the reserve bit has been taken down is there any point in going in the morning probably none left!!!

hippyharry
Jun 23, 2010, 04:20 AM
This was the link here

http://reserve.apple.com/WebObjects/ProductReservation.woa/wa/reserveProduct?lang=en&country=GB&prelaunch=MC603B_A

But to save you any bother, All the iPhones are unavailable for reservation. Even the 8GB 3GS

hippyharry
Jun 23, 2010, 05:32 AM
Store is open from 7am tomorrow morning.

The Samurai
Jun 23, 2010, 06:09 AM
Store is open from 7am tomorrow morning.

UK stores open at 8am.

hippyharry
Jun 23, 2010, 06:13 AM
UK stores open at 8am.

No. Just came off the phone to them there and theyve told me there is queues already and the store will open at 7am tomorrow especially for this.

The Samurai
Jun 23, 2010, 06:43 AM
No. Just came off the phone to them there and theyve told me there is queues already and the store will open at 7am tomorrow especially for this.

Apple UK retail website:
http://i47.tinypic.com/nl38sw.png

hippyharry
Jun 23, 2010, 06:45 AM
Yeah I see that, but all i was doing was passing on the information that the Apple Store, Glasgow told me on the phone.

Ill keep my info to myself next time.

C225
Jun 23, 2010, 06:47 AM
Got a 16GB reserved and will be getting there around 7:30:)

Got my o2 microsim already to do a straight swap so i should be good to go straight away:D

sneeks
Jun 23, 2010, 06:59 AM
I just phoned them and they said 8am :(

The Samurai
Jun 23, 2010, 07:38 AM
Yeah I see that, but all i was doing was passing on the information that the Apple Store, Glasgow told me on the phone.

Ill keep my info to myself next time.

My bad if I came across harshly - trust me I wasn't. Just saying what it reads on the Retail website. Staff are clueless at times.

sneeks
Jun 23, 2010, 07:50 AM
1 person in the queue already.

panda984
Jun 23, 2010, 07:58 AM
Was in the Apple store about an hour ago and they said they had pulled it forward to 7, think I'm gonna aim for 6.30 not got one reserved.

colmaclean
Jun 23, 2010, 08:03 AM
Was in the Apple store about an hour ago and they said they had pulled it forward to 7, think I'm gonna aim for 6.30 not got one reserved.

Nice! I've got a reservation and my train gets into Queen Street just before 8. Hopefully the queue will have cleared by then. :)

colmaclean
Jun 23, 2010, 08:44 AM
1 person in the queue already.

I saw someone this morning just before 8am. Not sure if he was queueing or was part of the cleaning staff who are usually milling around at that time having a smoke. :)

YanniDepp
Jun 23, 2010, 09:58 AM
I'll be there about 6:30. I have one reserved, but only got the first email, not the "don't forget" one. Look out for long ginger hair and a 'To Write Love On Her Arms' tshirt.

Anyone have any idea if they're doing the "no cash" policy again?

Rankrotten
Jun 23, 2010, 10:21 AM
Any Buchanan Street webcams running online?
I want to check the length of the queue tomorrow morning, then I'll drive into Buchanan Galleries car park with my reservation slip handy!

YanniDepp
Jun 23, 2010, 10:33 AM
There was one at the concert hall, but it's right at the top of the street and seems to be down right now. One web feed was working, but the camera was pointing down at a windowsill. All you could see was a rusty screw.

colmaclean
Jun 23, 2010, 10:40 AM
There was one at the concert hall, but it's right at the top of the street and seems to be down right now. One web feed was working, but the camera was pointing down at a windowsill. All you could see was a rusty screw.

:)

Maybe someone already in the queue would be good enough to post updates.

YanniDepp
Jun 23, 2010, 11:52 AM
There was no one queueing when I went in. There was a guy sitting right at the door witha backback and a book when I left.

I can confirm it's definitely 7 tomorrow.

hval
Jun 23, 2010, 12:10 PM
There was no one queueing when I went in. There was a guy sitting right at the door witha backback and a book when I left.

I can confirm it's definitely 7 tomorrow.

Have just spoken with someone in the Apple store at Buchanan Street. I was told that there will be two queues. One for reserved telephones and one for non reserved telephones. The shop will open at 08:00 hrs, but only for those with reservations. For those without reservations the shop will open at 10:00 hrs.

The above is what I was told. Make of it what you will.

Doesn't help me at all. Means I shall not be getting a replacement iPhone just yet. Unfortunately having a job ensures I am unable to purchase one tomorrow. I had assumed that I would be able to get in at 08:00 hrs as at previous times. Piffle.

Hval

The Samurai
Jun 23, 2010, 12:42 PM
Have just spoken with someone in the Apple store at Buchanan Street. I was told that there will be two queues. One for reserved telephones and one for non reserved telephones. The shop will open at 08:00 hrs, but only for those with reservations. For those without reservations the shop will open at 10:00 hrs.

The above is what I was told. Make of it what you will.

Doesn't help me at all. Means I shall not be getting a replacement iPhone just yet. Unfortunately having a job ensures I am unable to purchase one tomorrow. I had assumed that I would be able to get in at 08:00 hrs as at previous times. Piffle.

Hval

+1

Exactly what I was told when I called up to confirm the timings.

toastboy
Jun 23, 2010, 03:25 PM
see you guys there 2morro, will be the one with the camera :rolleyes:

hippyharry
Jun 23, 2010, 03:26 PM
This is for definite then?

Reservations are in first?

I might go first thing tomorrow morning then and get it. Wasnt planning to go until 11am ish. But the queue will be mental by then.

sneeks
Jun 23, 2010, 03:36 PM
I think I'll charge my Sony HD camcorder and record the crazy Apple staff antics :D

hippyharry
Jun 23, 2010, 03:45 PM
Anyone got any idea of how many reservations there is?

redgaz26
Jun 23, 2010, 03:47 PM
Anyone got any idea of how many reservations there is?

a million:eek::eek:

hippyharry
Jun 23, 2010, 03:49 PM
a million:eek::eek:

Haha.

I wonder how many people will be in the reserved queue tomorrow morning. The weird thing is and some people have said here as well is that the store was going to be opened at 7am. Maybe its better for me to turn up for around 8am then since most reservations might be away by then.

redgaz26
Jun 23, 2010, 03:56 PM
Haha.

I wonder how many people will be in the reserved queue tomorrow morning. The weird thing is and some people have said here as well is that the store was going to be opened at 7am. Maybe its better for me to turn up for around 8am then since most reservations might be away by then.

do you have a reservation?? if so your cool to pick it up at any time tomorrow, if not the rumor is you wont even get near the store till 10am

hippyharry
Jun 23, 2010, 03:59 PM
do you have a reservation?? if so your cool to pick it up at any time tomorrow, if not the rumor is you wont even get near the store till 10am

Yeah. I keep forgetting I can come in at any time. I just want the phone nowwwwwwww. :)

My thinking was, will all the people who reserved one be there at 8am?

Mibbe I should just wait til lunchtime-ish then.

browsingid
Jun 23, 2010, 04:10 PM
I went into Buchanan St Apple Store yesterday afternoon during my lunch break and they told me the following bits:

- opening at 8
This agrees with the website, but I see people on here saying that actual opening from conversations had today would be at 7, or that they wouldn't see people without reservations until 10. Surely they would update the Glasgow Apple Store website page if this was the case?

- all their stock of reservations were sold out, but they were getting non-reserved units too.
Well, we all knew this already I think.

- they couldn't tell me how many they were getting in beyond those reserved, but when I pressed the fella to tell me a ballpark figure (i.e. is it going to be 10 or 100+) he went for the latter. Not sure how accurate this will be though.

- the only other piece of info was that they would operating two queues - one for reservations, one for no reservations.

I swung by the store on my way home this evening at about 6.15pm and did see a couple of people there. One guy definitely looked like the start of the queue (reading a book).

I have no reservation and really really want to get my hands on one of these phones. I switched over to simplicity 30d a few days ago and have just realised I get no visual voicemail anymore :( but otherwise I am happy.

Not sure I can deal with starting to queue from early early, and I would be pretty narked if I queued and then they had sold out.

Do you think there will be many reserved units not picked up that get released on the Friday? I see the Buchanan St Apple Store website now lists 8am opening on the Friday too.

SCOTTGAZ9
Jun 23, 2010, 04:14 PM
I,m flying off on me hols tomorrow so need to go early...got a 32GB reserved, did ask the Glasgow fort but they aren't opening till 10 o'clock:eek:

hippyharry
Jun 23, 2010, 04:14 PM
I went into Buchanan St Apple Store yesterday afternoon during my lunch break and they told me the following bits:

- opening at 8
This agrees with the website, but I see people on here saying that actual opening from conversations had today would be at 7, or that they wouldn't see people without reservations until 10. Surely they would update the Glasgow Apple Store website page if this was the case?

- all their stock of reservations were sold out, but they were getting non-reserved units too.
Well, we all knew this already I think.

- they couldn't tell me how many they were getting in beyond those reserved, but when I pressed the fella to tell me a ballpark figure (i.e. is it going to be 10 or 100+) he went for the latter. Not sure how accurate this will be though.

- the only other piece of info was that they would operating two queues - one for reservations, one for no reservations.

I swung by the store on my way home this evening at about 6.15pm and did see a couple of people there. One guy definitely looked like the start of the queue (reading a book).

I have no reservation and really really want to get my hands on one of these phones. I switched over to simplicity 30d a few days ago and have just realised I get no visual voicemail anymore :( but otherwise I am happy.

Not sure I can deal with starting to queue from early early, and I would be pretty narked if I queued and then they had sold out.

Do you think there will be many reserved units not picked up that get released on the Friday? I see the Buchanan St Apple Store website now lists 8am opening on the Friday too.

I know there is at least reservation not being picked up. In the epic 500 page UK thread, theres one guy from Edinburgh not coming through as he had preordered one as well which is getting delivered. Not sure if anyone took his reservation.

toastboy
Jun 23, 2010, 04:29 PM
I know there is at least reservation not being picked up. In the epic 500 page UK thread, theres one guy from Edinburgh not coming through as he had preordered one as well which is getting delivered. Not sure if anyone took his reservation.

Well here is my problem, have reserved a 16gb, but now want a 32gb.

Hmm do i wait in the reserved queue and just ask if its possible for 32? or just wait in the non-reserved queue and flog my reserved to someone on here? or in the other queue?

confused, yas!

hippyharry
Jun 23, 2010, 04:30 PM
Well here is my problem, have reserved a 16gb, but now want a 32gb.

Hmm do i wait in the reserved queue and just ask if its possible for 32? or just wait in the non-reserved queue and flog my reserved to someone on here? or in the other queue?

confused, yas!

You could easily walk out of the shop with that 16GB and sell it for waaaaay more. And then just buy a 32GB in next few weeks.

I doubt they'll let you switch. Maybe they would...I have no idea.

Shaun.P
Jun 23, 2010, 04:50 PM
I'm going to try and be there for about 0715.

Will they have a choice of third party cases in stock? I'm not a fan of the Apple "bumpers". I'm so excited - I've had my 3G for 2 years. It's sloooow!

redgaz26
Jun 23, 2010, 04:56 PM
You could easily walk out of the shop with that 16GB and sell it for waaaaay more. And then just buy a 32GB in next few weeks.

I was in today and asked the same question, it was a big no:apple:

hippyharry
Jun 23, 2010, 04:58 PM
Thats that sorted then.

Ill come back on here at 7am tomorrow to see how the queues are if people can post here tomorrow morning.

Rankrotten
Jun 23, 2010, 05:07 PM
It's raining now.
I hope the three guys in the queue don't get too wet.:p

Tebailey
Jun 23, 2010, 05:11 PM
Anyone going in for an early o2 upgrade? O2 say no Apple say they can.... Anyone any idea?

Tom

toastboy
Jun 23, 2010, 05:34 PM

Well that is an idea,..

...but would feel like a right dirty ebay guy. And i am sure the store would stop anyone doing this right outside the shop. And from my past experience trying to sell my pre-order on ebay I don't think this would work out too well.

No idea what to do.

amplify!
Jun 23, 2010, 05:39 PM
Just carried out a drive-by. There must be about 6 people queuing outside the apple store on Buchanan St. There seems to be more security than keen iPhone purchasers ATM.

I also scoped out the various O2 stores. I am torn. I dunno whether to go to an O2 local store in the West End where the might be less people but also less stock or a city centre store. I guess a LOT of people need to head into the centre of town for work and will try to get there beforehand... :confused:

Anyone got any thoughts?

redgaz26
Jun 23, 2010, 05:43 PM
Just carried out a drive-by. There must be about 6 people queuing outside the apple store on Buchanan St. There seems to be more security than keen iPhone purchasers ATM.

I also scoped out the various O2 stores. I am torn. I dunno whether to go to an O2 local store in the West End where the might be less people but also less stock or a city centre store. I guess a LOT of people need to head into the centre of town for work and will try to get there beforehand... :confused:

Anyone got any thoughts?

madness:D:D:D im off to bed be there in the morning!!! get the coffee in!!

SCOTTGAZ9
Jun 23, 2010, 05:43 PM

Anyone got any thoughts?

Yeah stop - park and save me a space :D

SCOTTGAZ9
Jun 23, 2010, 05:44 PM
madness:D:D:D im off to bed be there in the morning!!! get the coffee in!!

Starbucks directly across ;) I'll have a mocha :cool:

redgaz26
Jun 23, 2010, 05:47 PM
Starbucks directly across ;) I'll have a mocha :cool:

same here ill meet you there!!!!!!!!!!
all this for a phone!!! love it !!:D:D:D

SCOTTGAZ9
Jun 23, 2010, 05:48 PM
Yeah I know..must be radio rental :rolleyes: cant believe the bloody fort aint opening till 10....:eek:

redgaz26
Jun 23, 2010, 05:49 PM
I prefer a cappuccino, £2.40 if I remember :rolleyes:

redgaz26
Jun 23, 2010, 05:49 PM
Yeah I know..must be radio rental :rolleyes: cant believe the bloody fort aint opening till 10....:eek:

better off heading for city centre

my day in a few hours _________________________ get up early, get iphone 4, go to work, go to dentist to get a tooth out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SCOTTGAZ9
Jun 23, 2010, 05:54 PM
better off heading for city centre

my day in a few hours _________________________ get up early, get iphone 4, go to work, go to dentist to get a tooth out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah need to go very early ...driving to manchester airport around 12ish:rolleyes:

Shaun.P
Jun 23, 2010, 05:56 PM
Oh no! Buchanan Galleries car parking opens at 0745. Where will I park?

redgaz26
Jun 23, 2010, 05:57 PM

Queen Street train station!!!!!

redgaz26
Jun 23, 2010, 05:57 PM
off to bed see ya the morra :cool::cool:

SCOTTGAZ9
Jun 23, 2010, 05:58 PM

***** :eek:

Shaun.P
Jun 23, 2010, 05:58 PM
My directional sense is awful. I know how to park at Buchanan Galleries, High Street and the one opposite Buchanan Bus Station (what is it called?). Will the Buchanan Bus station one be open at that time?

Shaun.P
Jun 23, 2010, 05:59 PM
***** :eek:

I know!

http://www.buchanangalleries.co.uk/getting-here/car-parking

toastboy
Jun 23, 2010, 06:00 PM
Sod it, will get my reserved 16gb then maybe return in in 2 weeks if I feel the 16 ain't enough. Currently on 16gb 3GS, selling on Friday.

Bed time, catch u all later IRL :cool:

SCOTTGAZ9
Jun 23, 2010, 06:01 PM
Gonna park at my usual NCP on montrose st walk along George Sq

amplify!
Jun 23, 2010, 06:02 PM
off to bed see ya the morra :cool::cool:

Same. See you guys on the other side.... hopefully with new shiny thing in hand. :apple:

SCOTTGAZ9
Jun 23, 2010, 06:02 PM
http://en.parkopedia.co.uk/parking/carpark/glasgow_queen_street_station/g1/glasgow/

;)

Shaun.P
Jun 23, 2010, 06:05 PM
http://en.parkopedia.co.uk/parking/carpark/glasgow_queen_street_station/g1/glasgow/

;)

Relatively cheap?

SCOTTGAZ9
Jun 23, 2010, 06:07 PM
Relatively cheap?

For Glasgow Yes !!:D

Shaun.P
Jun 23, 2010, 06:14 PM
Are you talking about in there (to the right of the picture?) I thought only the road on the right was only for buses and taxes? Do you need to come from the left lane direction? It says there are only 70-odd spaces. Enough? Is that maybe the exit? Do you enter a different way? I'm so naff with directions. I live in Irvine so don't drive to the CC much.

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/9352/screenshot20100624at001.png

Rankrotten
Jun 23, 2010, 06:17 PM
I'm having a nice cozy lie-in

Might pop down about 11.30, waltz in with my reservation and be back home by midday.

That's the theory anyway.

SCOTTGAZ9
Jun 23, 2010, 06:19 PM
Are you talking about in there (to the right of the picture?) I thought only the road on the right was only for buses and taxes? Do you need to come from the left lane direction? It says there are only 70-odd spaces. Enough? Is that maybe the exit? Do you enter a different way? I'm so naff with directions. I live in Irvine so don't drive to the CC much.

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/9352/screenshot20100624at001.png

I use montrose street mate...go to bottom of that street facing george sq- turn left thru lights 2nd left - car park sits on right corner as you turn up the street.

Shaun.P
Jun 23, 2010, 06:23 PM
I use montrose street mate...go to bottom of that street facing george sq- turn left thru lights 2nd left - car park sits on right corner as you turn up the street.

Ahh thanks. I've just finished up at Strathclyde Uni and always parked in High Street which was 10p for 10 minutes. Is this right for Montrose street?

£3.10 / 1 hour
£5.80 / 2 hours
£8.90 / 4 hours
£13.00 / 8 hours
£17.00 / day

Just seems a bit high (i.e. a lot more than Buchanan Galleries). I'll be parking for more than 2 hours, so would fall into the £8.90 category. I think I'll just park at High Street - it's a bit extra to walk but will cost around £2.

RossMacca
Jun 23, 2010, 06:48 PM
Anyone WITH a reservation feeling particularly confident with what Apple are saying, and going to collect it later in the day? (say 12 onwards)

raymondkerr
Jun 24, 2010, 12:30 AM
Been at Buchanan street since 4:30, now 2 ques. Reserve que has maybe 20-25, we are about 10,11th in reserve line. Walkin line busier, 50+.

raymondkerr
Jun 24, 2010, 12:31 AM
Starbucks opening soon. At least it's not raining

raymondkerr
Jun 24, 2010, 12:37 AM
Apple employee just confirmed, 7am opening for reserve line. Not sure about walkin.

browsingid
Jun 24, 2010, 01:48 AM
In queue. At the back of the non-reservation one. Have a feeling I am getting nothing!

ensee
Jun 24, 2010, 01:53 AM
Been at Buchanan street since 4:30, now 2 ques. Reserve que has maybe 20-25, we are about 10,11th in reserve line. Walkin line busier, 50+.

Saw some of the pictures on twitter - think I'll wait a while before I pick mine up…

http://twitpic.com/1zg33r

Is the reserved queue the one going past Urban Outfitters or the one that's snaking round onto St Vincent Street?

browsingid
Jun 24, 2010, 01:54 AM
Aargh. Blue-shirted apple employee just came down the queue and announced that everyone behind a certain point MAY not get an iPhone. I am on the wrong side of that point by 3 spots! Dammit!! Possibility there might be some available if people get turned down for credit or whatever, so I am going to hang on in with my fingers crossed!

browsingid
Jun 24, 2010, 01:57 AM
Saw some of the pictures on twitter - think I'll wait a while before I pick mine up…

Is the reserved queue the one going past Urban Outfitters or the one that's snaking round onto St Vincent Street?

I am in non-reserved queue - it is the one going round by urban outfitters.

colmaclean
Jun 24, 2010, 02:06 AM
Just walked past. The reserved queue was round the corner onto St Vincent Street - contained around 40-50 people.

Think I'll take an early lunch to pick up my reservation - the line should have cleared by then. :)

The walk-in queue was considerably longer!

SCOTTGAZ9
Jun 24, 2010, 03:05 AM
Got there around 5.30...5th in queue..done and dusted just syncing now :D

Alot busier now...:eek:

colmaclean
Jun 24, 2010, 03:05 AM
Any clues on the turnaround time for reservations will be gratefully received!

Are they offering to activate new iPhones in store?

SCOTTGAZ9
Jun 24, 2010, 03:06 AM

lol

I am in that photo :D

Shaun.P
Jun 24, 2010, 03:15 AM
I'm in the reserved queue nearly at the corner of the store. Been here since 0810. Got free coffee!

toastboy
Jun 24, 2010, 03:48 AM
Near the front in the reserved one, look for green hoody and shorts :p

Got here 8:15 I slept in lol, looks like it's starting to rain and another line inside. It's defo starting to rain!!!!

Rankrotten
Jun 24, 2010, 03:58 AM
How long is the reserved queue now? Planning my day ahead.

raymondkerr
Jun 24, 2010, 03:58 AM
Me and my mate were two of the first to get the pay go iPhone sim free at 7am this morning, they let in 10 people to check their system at 7, after a slight delay, we were done and dusted before 7:30am and out the store, pretty seamless experience, no major hiccups. We were offered an orange sim but were told that it would then be locked to orange. Decided to cut my old o2 sim for the time being, and I am currently syncing it now.
:):apple:

glasgowchapter
Jun 24, 2010, 04:14 AM
lol

So am i front of reserved queue brown t-shirt black hat ginger beard lol

glasgowchapter
Jun 24, 2010, 04:15 AM
Me and my mate were two of the first to get the pay go iPhone sim free at 7am this morning, they let in 10 people to check their system at 7, after a slight delay, we were done and dusted before 7:30am and out the store, pretty seamless experience, no major hiccups. We were offered an orange sim but were told that it would then be locked to orange. Decided to cut my old o2 sim for the time being, and I am currently syncing it now.
:):apple:

Was there a fat guy with a ginger beard to your right ? lol

spikescot2005
Jun 24, 2010, 04:21 AM
lol

Me too :)

spikescot2005
Jun 24, 2010, 04:31 AM
Was there a fat guy with a ginger beard to your right ? lol

There was next to me :)

toastboy
Jun 24, 2010, 04:41 AM
How long is the reserved queue now? Planning my day ahead.

Your looking at a 4hr wait in the reserve line

colmaclean
Jun 24, 2010, 04:49 AM
Your looking at a 4hr wait in the reserve line

There was me thinking the reserved line would fly through, given that we'd just be getting a box and paying for it. :confused:

Need to find a hungry student to stand in line for me...

Rankrotten
Jun 24, 2010, 04:50 AM
Four hours!!!
I'm going on a drive-by, which side is the reserved queue, St Vincent Street?

colmaclean
Jun 24, 2010, 04:54 AM
I'm going on a drive-by, which side is the reserved queue, St Vincent Street?

Correct.

toastboy
Jun 24, 2010, 05:07 AM
The thing that pissed me off, once you get inside from either the reserved or non reserved line, both merge into one line once inside.

8 folk in front of me now before I get served, been here since 8:30. The guy 2 in front of me has been here since 5:30!

Rankrotten
Jun 24, 2010, 05:10 AM
Right, I think I may leave it until later on this evening.

colmaclean
Jun 24, 2010, 05:10 AM
The thing that pissed me off, once you get inside from either the reserved or non reserved line, both merge into one line once inside.

Pretty daft!

At least the Store's open later tonight (7.30pm). Can always watch the football on my iPad...

sneeks
Jun 24, 2010, 05:44 AM
I left the house at 5.50am today and arrived in Glasgow at 6.30am. The reservation queue wasn't bad at the Apple Store and I was roughly 30th from the front. The store opened at 7am rather than the advertised time of 8am and I had bought the phone and back out of the shop by 7.45.

I've not bothered to open the box yet and will wait till I get home tonight. I did have a closer look at my friends iPhone 4 and it is a gorgeous bit of tech. There is a definite signal issue if you cover over the lower left side of the handset, fortunately I hold the phone in my right hand during calls so it's not a issue I'll notice. The signal did not completely disappear, it dropped a couple of bars. I bought a black bumper too.

hippyharry
Jun 24, 2010, 06:01 AM
What a morning.

Was there for 7.55am. They were letting in some non reservations and some reservations every so often.

I finally got inside the store at 10am and joined the 2nd queue inside. Finally left the shop at 10.45am.

And I was in the reserved queue!

Rankrotten
Jun 24, 2010, 06:05 AM
Just back from the drive by and the reservation queue is right around the corner at St Vincent St and the barriers are just before the Lloyds TSB. Madness.

Could't help but notice the social demographic of people in that queue, very un-Glasgow like and more continental and west coast US in appearance. In other words not like me one bit
:cool:

Will be back down at 4.20 before the office workers get oot.

hippyharry
Jun 24, 2010, 06:11 AM
From LLyods TSB, you are looking at a 2 and a half hour wait.

Thats what i was!

colmaclean
Jun 24, 2010, 06:31 AM
Just walked past on the off-chance the reserved queue had subsided - it's still the same length as it was at 8am!

Someone needs to tell these people that it's JUST A PHONE. :rolleyes:

:p

johnnyi
Jun 24, 2010, 06:59 AM
Went to Tesco at silverburn at 8 and was 7th in the queue and got the last 32gb they had :).
got out around 9.45 because they were not allowed to start selling them till 9am :(.

hippyharry
Jun 24, 2010, 07:42 AM
Went to Tesco at silverburn at 8 and was 7th in the queue and got the last 32gb they had :).
got out around 9.45 because they were not allowed to start selling them till 9am :(.

is it unlocked?

BrEEdAA
Jun 24, 2010, 07:50 AM
Hey,

Was in the reserved queue this morning around 7.10, was in store and served about 8.30. Cant complain got some of the free starbucks coffee, all in a good morning :p

colmaclean
Jun 24, 2010, 08:55 AM
Hey,

Was in the reserved queue this morning around 7.10, was in store and served about 8.30. Cant complain got some of the free starbucks coffee, all in a good morning :p

Well done! :p

Still wondering if I want to face the queue myself...

ensee
Jun 24, 2010, 09:19 AM
Joined the reserved queue (both in terms of manors and in having reserved it) at 10am, left the store with iPhone in hand at about 12:30. Crazy. So heads up; if you join the queue beside Llyods you're in for at least a couple of hours - maybe less once they weed out the walk-in crowd.

The walk-in queue was backed up round into Nelson Mandela Square and the pre-ordered one was fairly static all morning. Get a coffee before you join…

The reservation system was quite cool. They're using iPads to check you in. Also, as far as bumpers go they've taken Henry Ford's motto to heart: "any colour that [you] wants so long as it is black". There might have been colours elsewhere but I only saw black ones.

Loved the passers-by though. Old drunk Glaswegians stumbling past slurring "Ah'll sell yis a phone hahaha".

colmaclean
Jun 24, 2010, 10:18 AM
Played my get out of work early card. In the queue now. Only 10 or so from the front door. Looks like most of the queue is inside the store though! :(

hippyharry
Jun 24, 2010, 10:47 AM
Played my get out of work early card. In the queue now. Only 10 or so from the front door. Looks like most of the queue is inside the store though! :(

Nice one!

Whats the queues outside like now?

colmaclean
Jun 24, 2010, 10:59 AM
Nice one!

Whats the queues outside like now?

I'm inside now!

Still around 15 outside and around 40 inside.

Strange system, they only seem to be serving one customer at a time, even though there are around ten staff managing the process!

The Samurai
Jun 24, 2010, 11:54 AM
Got there at half 7. Queue up at Llyods entrance (reservations)... took an hour to get to the front... once inside the doors i was rubbing my hands thinking i would be served immediatly by a member of staff... unfortunately, there was another queue inside :(. Not sure why they started letting non-reseved people in early, despite them saying it will be after 10am. By letting the non-reserved people in early, it held the queue up for the people who made the effort to reserve one :D.

Nevertheless, a few hours later... got mines and extremely pleased with this bad boy. :D

Rankrotten
Jun 24, 2010, 12:03 PM
They have now closed off the queue as it would take until after the store closes to serve everyone. Offered a voucher to come back tomorrow morning but refused and I'm now inside the store in the secondary queue: ages to go

colmaclean
Jun 24, 2010, 12:14 PM
I joined the queue at around 4.15 and was out with phone at 5.50. You may get lucky!

hval
Jun 24, 2010, 01:09 PM
Well,

I joined the queue today. I was about number fifty in the walk in queue. Unfortunately, due to work, I had to leave the queue at about 09:30 before I was any where near getting in to the store.

When the store opens tomorrow, will there be a new batch of 32GB iPhones? Will the store open early again?

Hope someone knows.

Thanks in advance.

Hval

WeegieMac
Jun 24, 2010, 01:16 PM
Got there at half 7. Queue up at Llyods entrance (reservations)... took an hour to get to the front... once inside the doors i was rubbing my hands thinking i would be served immediatly by a member of staff... unfortunately, there was another queue inside :(. Not sure why they started letting non-reseved people in early, despite them saying it will be after 10am. By letting the non-reserved people in early, it held the queue up for the people who made the effort to reserve one :D.

Nevertheless, a few hours later... got mines and extremely pleased with this bad boy. :D

Get the unboxing/review video up on YouTube mate. :D

WeegieMac
Jun 24, 2010, 01:19 PM
I popped up to the store at 12pm on my lunch break to put 200 notes onto a gift card in preparation of my iPhone 4 purchase next month.

I seen the queues and couldn't believe the length of them considering the store opened at 8am this morning for iPhone sales.

I walked past again at 4:15pm after finishing work and there was STILL a queue, albeit not as big, but the reservations queue was still out the door and round into St Vincent Street a little.

The Samurai
Jun 24, 2010, 01:22 PM
Get the unboxing/review video up on YouTube mate. :D

For all you Weegies (and non), here's (http://www.youtube.com/user/theunits3#g/c/4FE3EA8FEA64B667) the direct link to some iPhone 4 videos.

:D

p.s. WeegieMac - I thought u were planning in getting one?

toastboy
Jun 24, 2010, 01:26 PM
sorry for asking in this thread as many others are taking about it, but i have still to open mine, still waiting for o2 to swap my sim.

has anyone here having those signal problems? or yellow screen?

cheers

WeegieMac
Jun 24, 2010, 01:48 PM
For all you Weegies (and non), here's (http://www.youtube.com/user/theunits3#g/c/4FE3EA8FEA64B667) the direct link to some iPhone 4 videos.

p.s. WeegieMac - I thought u were planning in getting one?

June 23rd mate, and trust me ... I'm counting. I've even got a countdown widget on my Dashboard. Saddo. :D

I went in today to stick the 200 I sold my 3G for onto a Gift Card so that the wife doesn't spend it. If I leave money in the bank or around the house, it'll get spent, so I thought to be safe I'd stick it on a Gift Card out the way.

Next month on payday, it's off to the Apple Store to get my iPhone 4.

I've even booked the day off work so nothing gets in my way. :D

You enjoying it so far anyway mate? Any signal issues like we've seen from certain users? Any screen gradient issues?

I had a proper shot of one today at 4:15pm when I went into the store, and by God it's fast ... playing Ridge Racers on it was like the PSP version I got back in the day, and that display ... ooooh that display.

redgaz26
Jun 24, 2010, 01:52 PM
got mine around half 7 great phone but have the signal problems, heres a pic i took with my new phone around lunchtime near the apple store

WeegieMac
Jun 24, 2010, 01:53 PM
I liked the bumper review ...

"Is this worth 25 pounds? *pause* Nope".

WeegieMac
Jun 24, 2010, 02:09 PM
The signal issues is an interesting, as well as disappointing topic.

The cynic in me thinks that Apple knew all along about the whole "grounding" issue when the stainless steel comes into contact with skin, hence the release of the bumper cases.

The ironic thing is that Apple are so damn secretive that they tested these phones in the wild disguised as iPhone 3GS's. So these issues would never come to light in "wild" testing because in the "wild", the phones were always in a case.

And then low and behold, they go and lose one and the secrecy is shot to bits anyway!

Seriously though, what can Apple do about this? Could we be looking at a global recall? That would hurt not only Apple but the iPhone 4's reputation as a cutting edge device. As Samurai said in his video, a software update isn't going to fix an issue where skin coming in contact with metal grounds the signal.

Interesting times ahead, and hopefully there's an answer before I buy mine in four weeks time.

redgaz26
Jun 24, 2010, 02:23 PM
I really don't know what they will do, its very disappointing, im actually totally gutted about it, but i dont think theres much point going to the store tomorrow and moaning unless there handing out free bumpers!!:rolleyes:

WeegieMac
Jun 24, 2010, 02:28 PM
I really don't know what they will do, its very disappointing, im actually totally gutted about it, but i dont think theres much point going to the store tomorrow and moaning unless there handing out free bumpers!!:rolleyes:

While a free bumper would be nice, it doesn't help people who want to use the phone with no cover. I'm right handed, but I use my phone in my right hand when using it. I know some people use their phone in their "other" hand so they can use their "proper" hand to do other things.

Is it only when covering the lower left corner? I read somewhere that covering the right corner cut off your 3G signal down to Edge then GPRS. Any truth in this?

Tebailey
Jun 24, 2010, 02:31 PM
sorry for asking in this thread as many others are taking about it, but i have still to open mine, still waiting for o2 to swap my sim.

has anyone here having those signal problems? or yellow screen?

cheers

No, and no... T'is a beauty...

Tebailey
Jun 24, 2010, 02:34 PM
I liked the bumper review ...

"Is this worth 25 pounds? *pause* Nope".

Very well made..... Metal buttons a nice touch.. Worth £25 yes... But only because it may stop me dropping the phone / protect it if I do... My old 3G hit the floor more than it was in my hands!

Tom

Shaun.P
Jun 24, 2010, 02:53 PM
I got the bumper too but I'm not happy with it and it's going back. It squishes about and doesn't really stay in place. Not worth £25!

I got the dock which is nice.

I'm very happy with the phone - I'm syncing it now. It is extremely fast. I do not appear to have the yellow blotch problem that was on page one and my signal seems to have improved after the carrier update on iTunes.

I went with O2 on a new contract, 18 months /£35 month.

The Samurai
Jun 24, 2010, 03:36 PM
The signal issues is an interesting, as well as disappointing topic.

The cynic in me thinks that Apple knew all along about the whole "grounding" issue when the stainless steel comes into contact with skin, hence the release of the bumper cases.

The ironic thing is that Apple are so damn secretive that they tested these phones in the wild disguised as iPhone 3GS's. So these issues would never come to light in "wild" testing because in the "wild", the phones were always in a case.

And then low and behold, they go and lose one and the secrecy is shot to bits anyway!

Seriously though, what can Apple do about this? Could we be looking at a global recall? That would hurt not only Apple but the iPhone 4's reputation as a cutting edge device. As Samurai said in his video, a software update isn't going to fix an issue where skin coming in contact with metal grounds the signal.

Interesting times ahead, and hopefully there's an answer before I buy mine in four weeks time.

Very interesting. Good read.

I don't personally think Apple would have NOT known about this issue as well. Knowing that critics will pick up EVERY little thing, such a huge thing could never slip beyond Apple's nose. Especially at a time when the Android platform is gaining popularity, they [Apple] would never want their competitors to get a brownie point. But if they were confident enough to release a POPULAR device, they surely must have a fix for it. Whether in the form of a software update (many are saying its due to iOS4, same thing happens with the 3GS) or a fix by visiting the genius bar... I don't mind, as long as they fix it. Could just be a bad batch... but it seems to be one heck of a 'batch' lol

colmaclean
Jun 25, 2010, 02:23 AM
There's a queue at the store again this morning. Saw one lass walk round the corner of St V Street and exclaim "oh FFS!" when confronted with yet another queue! :)

Kept my shiny new phone firmly in my pocket. :p

WeegieMac
Jun 25, 2010, 01:02 PM
Got mine! :D

I went to the Apple Store after work today, finished at 5pm, and there was a queue of around 20 or so people inside.

The staff rattled through the queue within 45 minutes to be fair, but it was helped by one woman three in front of me giving up and another couple of people leaving because there was no 32GB models left in stock.

Lucky for me I only wanted the 16GB!

Just got home after going for a pint with a mate, and it's still sitting on "Waiting For Activation". I nipped into the O2 store down the road from the Apple Store and picked up a Micro SIM for PAYG and have phoned O2 to get the number and tariff swapped over ... utterly painless and will take "up to" 24 hours and I retain my O2 Unlimited tariff which is better than the current tariffs for new iPhone customers because I keep free O2 calls AND texts for 15 quid a month and still have two and a half months of my original free web and wifi bolt on from when I bought my 3G last September. Result! :D

How long should this take to activate? The wife finishes work at 7pm and wants to go and see Killers at the cinema. She can have her two hours with Ashton What-His-Face ... I've got my iPhone 4. :D

The Samurai
Jun 25, 2010, 02:20 PM
Got mine! :D

I went to the Apple Store after work today, finished at 5pm, and there was a queue of around 20 or so people inside.

The staff rattled through the queue within 45 minutes to be fair, but it was helped by one woman three in front of me giving up and another couple of people leaving because there was no 32GB models left in stock.

Lucky for me I only wanted the 16GB!

Just got home after going for a pint with a mate, and it's still sitting on "Waiting For Activation". I nipped into the O2 store down the road from the Apple Store and picked up a Micro SIM for PAYG and have phoned O2 to get the number and tariff swapped over ... utterly painless and will take "up to" 24 hours and I retain my O2 Unlimited tariff which is better than the current tariffs for new iPhone customers because I keep free O2 calls AND texts for 15 quid a month and still have two and a half months of my original free web and wifi bolt on from when I bought my 3G last September. Result! :D

How long should this take to activate? The wife finishes work at 7pm and wants to go and see Killers at the cinema. She can have her two hours with Ashton What-His-Face ... I've got my iPhone 4. :D

A ha! Like the ending lol

I activated mines 3 days before launch and it took 30 mins lol. However, it will probably be a little busy now that the iPhone 4 has launched :D.

I went for the same tariff, hope you went down the 30% route... £10.50 a month is what it brings it down to :D

Happy days!!!

WeegieMac
Jun 25, 2010, 02:42 PM
A ha! Like the ending lol

I activated mines 3 days before launch and it took 30 mins lol. However, it will probably be a little busy now that the iPhone 4 has launched :D.

I went for the same tariff, hope you went down the 30% route... £10.50 a month is what it brings it down to :D

Happy days!!!

Can I use the 30% discount even though it's a PAYG mate?

I'll definitely need to look into that!

Anyway, run late getting ready (typical woman :D), so now we're going to a later viewing ... at a more expensive cinema (Odean at the Quay, painful stuff at weekends, my debit card physically groans with each number of my pin).

WeegieMac
Jun 25, 2010, 02:44 PM
Another thing ... meant to ask you guys as you're in "the know".

My Micro SIM is not yet set up with my old number/tariff so it shows as "No Service" on the iPhone 4 for now.

The activation was taking too long, so I just slid to unlock and the apps I synced to the phone were all there and usable.

How do I get back into the activation "sequence" again when I get home?

Oh, talking of syncing apps ... 5.54GB of apps synced in around 20 minutes.

Impressive stuff, very pleased.

The Samurai
Jun 25, 2010, 04:30 PM
Another thing ... meant to ask you guys as you're in "the know".

My Micro SIM is not yet set up with my old number/tariff so it shows as "No Service" on the iPhone 4 for now.

The activation was taking too long, so I just slid to unlock and the apps I synced to the phone were all there and usable.

How do I get back into the activation "sequence" again when I get home?

Oh, talking of syncing apps ... 5.54GB of apps synced in around 20 minutes.

Impressive stuff, very pleased.

You don't have to stay on that 'activation screen' to have your iPhone activated. To find out if your iPhone has been activated, just switch it off and put it back on. If you get a signal, your all sorted. If not, then the wait continues :D

billyjoegibsonx
Jun 26, 2010, 01:34 AM
Just a quick post...

Went to the glasgow apple store at bout half 6, got in bout half 7. Was taken upstairs, payed for phone and back out and Heading home
For 8 :). Was goin to try get a microsim from orange/o2 but all the shops had long ques. So came back into town later. Orange hadnt got
Any in and a "friendly" o2 worker strictly told
Me they didnt do PAYG microsims. He was rather cheeky bout it! Went to the cinema with my gf and decided to go to another o2 store and just get a simplicity PAYG card and just cut it up. Asked the guy if they had any microsims in and he said yeah, and went in the back of the store an brought one out :D

So my iphones up an running. Perfect. No issues whatsoever! I love it :)

WeegieMac
Jun 26, 2010, 06:17 AM
Just took a picture of one of our black Labradors out in the garden ...

Not bad at all for a basic point and click photo.

http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/1669/img0003vv.jpg

sneeks
Jun 28, 2010, 07:47 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4_fwgY3mdY

The Samurai
Jun 28, 2010, 10:02 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4_fwgY3mdY

Nice one. What time did you shoot the vid outside the glasgow store?

sneeks
Jun 28, 2010, 10:30 AM
Nice one. What time did you shoot the vid outside the glasgow store?

The first shots outside of the Apple store were immediately before opening at 7am.

o2 queue was at 8.15am and the second batch of footage at the Apple store was around 9.30am