PDA

View Full Version : San Antonio, TX LaCantera Apple Store

tripjammer
Jun 18, 2010, 09:22 AM
Who is with me in line for a reserve at the San Antonio Lacantera Apple Store on the 24th?

I got a reserve for a 32GB black Iphone 4.

tripjammer
Jun 18, 2010, 09:27 AM
What time are you gonna show up?

JTownTX
Jun 18, 2010, 06:28 PM
mine is reserved but i can't show up until about 4pm. will check out line craziness, maybe enjoy some PFChangs or Grimaldi's Pizza, lil orange cup, inappropriately hit on girls, check the lines again, etc.

hopefully everything will be a well oiled machine. i waited from 5am til 6pm for iPhone 1 in 2007 which was awesome but havent been able to do it again since.

others?

bryan85
Jun 18, 2010, 06:45 PM
I will check it out around 10ish pm and see what the line looks like. I will be there with my fiancÚ. My reservation got canceled, so I have to make sure I can get one as I already sold the 3GS on eBay. :mad:

mmendoza27
Jun 18, 2010, 07:22 PM
I'll be hitting up the store at 7 AM to quickly pick up my reservation and then head back to work.

QRSAlpha
Jun 18, 2010, 09:47 PM
I'll be hitting up the store at 7 AM to quickly pick up my reservation and then head back to work.

Yeah, I'm thinking about that too. Gotta' be at work at 8. Somebody said something about La Cantera security not even letting people park until the shops are officially open. One of the employees there said if I have a reservation not even to bother braving the chaos during the day and to come in after 5. That's comforting. :o

The3nd
Jun 18, 2010, 10:58 PM
I work on Thursday so im gona be there early I work at Dillards so its a short walk.... Im thinking of showing up at like 5am and checking it out...

ripper998
Jun 19, 2010, 12:11 PM
I will be there. I have to drive to kerrville that morning so I will drive by and pick it up. How crazy will the reserve line be?

SGuerra98
Jun 19, 2010, 08:05 PM
It's probably best to show up early around 4:30 - 5 am. I'm not sure how big this line is around that time but at Northstar it was pretty big around 6 am for the 3GS.

The3nd
Jun 21, 2010, 08:44 AM
So whats the update, what time are we all goin :D

tripjammer
Jun 21, 2010, 04:37 PM
Hey folks! I am thinking of showing up around 6:30 to 7am...I have to go to work also but I will take the morning off. I got the second email saying don't forget my Iphone 4. My sister is in the same boat. She is gonna meet me up at the same time.

Has anybody called the store to verify that the reservation is good?

QRSAlpha
Jun 21, 2010, 06:17 PM
Hey folks! I am thinking of showing up around 6:30 to 7am...I have to go to work also but I will take the morning off. I got the second email saying don't forget my Iphone 4. My sister is in the same boat. She is gonna meet me up at the same time.

Yeah, I called last week to verify that they could see my reservation. Also got the email today. Will probably go after work though around 5:30 and (hopefully) the reservation line won't move too slow. . .

tripjammer
Jun 21, 2010, 06:27 PM
Yeah, I called last week to verify that they could see my reservation. Also got the email today. Will probably go after work though around 5:30 and (hopefully) the reservation line won't move too slow. . .

Cool! I will tell you how the line is and if I see any white Iphone 4!

tripjammer
Jun 21, 2010, 06:30 PM
What time does the La Cantera parking lot open?

ripper998
Jun 21, 2010, 07:11 PM
Okay, here's the info I got from one of the Apple guys at the store today. They will have two lines, and they are expecting ALOT of people. I have a reservation and he said to come in whenever. He said the mall is not going to let anyone in till 6 am so everyone will have to wait in the parking lot till then most likely. I am going to show up at 6am. I have a reserve so I should get a phone.

tripjammer
Jun 21, 2010, 07:15 PM
Okay, here's the info I got from one of the Apple guys at the store today. They will have two lines, and they are expecting ALOT of people. I have a reservation and he said to come in whenever. He said the mall is not going to let anyone in till 6 am so everyone will have to wait in the parking lot till then most likely. I am going to show up at 6am. I have a reserve so I should get a phone.

Thanks ripper998!

6am at the earliest! I might do that get there at 6 to 6:30...

DevinDTA
Jun 21, 2010, 11:50 PM

I also called last Thursday and the person I talked to confirmed that I was indeed on the list. I'm still not sure what time I want to show up. As much as I would like to be there at 6AM, I'm thinking if I hold out a few hours to pick up my reservation I may spend less time in line. I guess the deciding factor will be if I'm wide awake with excitement and anticipation that morning! haha

tripjammer
Jun 22, 2010, 04:35 PM
Awesome bro! Will see you there at least sometime on thursday!

Lruiz
Jun 22, 2010, 07:35 PM
Are you able to line up outside the la cantera apple store even though the mall is closed

QRSAlpha
Jun 22, 2010, 09:16 PM
Thanks ripper998!

6am at the earliest! I might do that get there at 6 to 6:30...

GAH! 6am. :p My a$$ is going to have go get to bed a little earlier than usual :o I will seriously consider it; I'll sleep soundly at my desk later in the day knowing that the iPhone is safe in my pocket. Alternatively, waiting until after work would make the day seem so so very long. . .

markthrash
Jun 22, 2010, 09:20 PM
Damn I'm only 4 hours away from there. Apple lines sound like so much fun.

matt27244
Jun 22, 2010, 10:37 PM
La Cantera line has started! There are already people waiting!!!!!

CJayC
Jun 22, 2010, 11:01 PM
This makes me sad. I used to go to UTSA and I could go to the Apple Store whenever I wanted because I was so damn nearby. How people long is the line now?

mmendoza27
Jun 23, 2010, 06:43 AM
When I worked there back in the day for the 3G, we didn't have this reservation stuff so it's different but it's not surprising to have people waiting already. We had a guy wait there at 9 PM when I did the overnight and we had a lot of people out there by 4 AM.

I'm pretty sure there will be a good number of reservations, but when I went to pick up the iPad reservation, I got there an hour early (8 AM) and the reservation line maybe had... uh 30 people? It really wasn't that bad. I think you guys should be safe if you meet up an hour early. I might get there a little earlier, some of my old friends will be there.

iphoneblack24
Jun 23, 2010, 07:55 AM
Good luck to those in line at La Cantera and North Star, especially those without reservations. Years ago I would've been all over hanging out and waiting in line for hours, if not days to get my hands on a new smartphone, but I'm too old for it now (lol). I preordered the 32GB (my very first iPhone) via AT&T last week and according to FEDEX this morning should arrive at my front door by 3PM tomorrow. The anticipation is killing me! The only decision I have to make is to whether or not to take tomorrow off, because someone has to be home to sign for the shipment. I'd hate having to drive to FEDEX tomorrow night after work to pick up the package....

Well I guess I now know what I'm going to do. :D

c2one
Jun 23, 2010, 12:09 PM
La Cantera line has started! There are already people waiting!!!!!

I am wondering if security will let them stay, considering security will not let people in before 6am on the 24th. I will assume that they will let whoever stay there over night if they are there before a certain time tonight, maybe midnight.

court
Jun 23, 2010, 12:47 PM
That is so weird that people are already lining up. I got there early for the iPad and security told me to go back to my car. They let us get out of our cars to line up in the parking lot at sunrise and then finally led us to the lines in front of the store.

Maybe they changed their policies and we'll all have to wait in our cars. I'm getting nervous now. I was going to wait overnight or get there around 4am but I figured rules would be the same as they were for iPad. I remember how out of control the iPhone lines were in the past.

court
Jun 23, 2010, 02:27 PM
if you can, keep us at home updated on how many are in line.

i'm wondering if most people that will be in line overnight will be first come first serve people?

bryan85
Jun 23, 2010, 04:51 PM
if you can, keep us at home updated on how many are in line.

i'm wondering if most people that will be in line overnight will be first come first serve people?

I just checked about an hour ago and I didn't even see a line. :confused:

court
Jun 23, 2010, 05:20 PM
I just checked about an hour ago and I didn't even see a line. :confused:

I don't think they are letting people line up anymore, not until a certain time anyway.

--------
On a side note- do all of you have pre orders or are you first come first served?

Lruiz
Jun 23, 2010, 07:26 PM
I was just at the mall and I only saw one guy sitting outside with his lap top but I talked to mall security and they told me they will not let anyone stay or line up until 6 that includes parking in their parking lot for people that were there for the ipad how did everything work, did they let you in before 6?

tripjammer
Jun 23, 2010, 08:05 PM
I don't know now...I just might leave work early and go around 3 pm. I have a reserve. I really don't want to stand in line for hours. Can you fine folks post around 6am - 7am on how the lines are?

DevinDTA
Jun 23, 2010, 09:26 PM
Okay, here's the info I got about half an hour ago. Line starts at 10pm in the parking lot(although there's already a line of about 60 people there anyway). At 4am, the line gets moved up to the Apple Store doors. There will be a Reserved line and a walk up line which will move at a ratio of 10 reserved to 1 walk up. Good luck!

FinderSpyder
Jun 23, 2010, 11:08 PM
Okay, here's the info I got about half an hour ago. Line starts at 10pm in the parking lot(although there's already a line of about 60 people there anyway). At 4am, the line gets moved up to the Apple Store doors. There will be a Reserved line and a walk up line which will move at a ratio of 10 reserved to 1 walk up. Good luck!

oh wow 60 people there already! I just might attempt going out there later.

Lruiz
Jun 24, 2010, 04:18 AM
So how are the lines at la cantera?

tripjammer
Jun 24, 2010, 04:55 AM
So how are the lines at la cantera?

Yeah anybody in line yet? Its 120+ deep at North Star!!!!

Lruiz
Jun 24, 2010, 05:11 AM
There are atleast 200+ here at la cantera

QRSAlpha
Jun 24, 2010, 05:28 AM
There are atleast 200+ here at la cantera

Wowza. Have the separated into reserve and regular lines yet, and if so, the relative length of each one?

Thx!

tripjammer
Jun 24, 2010, 06:06 AM
Wowza. Have the separated into reserve and regular lines yet, and if so, the relative length of each one?

Thx!

How big now? I think I am gonna go to work first then it up la cantera for my reserve after lunch.

DevinDTA
Jun 24, 2010, 06:34 AM
I probably have a good 150 in front of me in the reserved line and maybe another 100 behind me by now. The walk up line wraps around the building in between the Chico's and Banana Republic and all the way down to the corner of Nordstrom's. They're making people with chairs, tents, bulky items put them back in their cars. Only backpacks and small bags/purses are allowed. They actually seem to have this organized pretty well.

tripjammer
Jun 24, 2010, 10:42 AM
How long is the line now? I am gonna go at 3PM

seanwes
Jun 24, 2010, 10:42 AM
I probably have a good 150 in front of me in the reserved line and maybe another 100 behind me by now. The walk up line wraps around the building in between the Chico's and Banana Republic and all the way down to the corner of Nordstrom's. They're making people with chairs, tents, bulky items put them back in their cars. Only backpacks and small bags/purses are allowed. They actually seem to have this organized pretty well.

They sure as heck didn't yesterday.

Here's what I posted last night (http://www.everythingicafe.com/forum/iphone-4/the-official-long-line-angry-customer-nightmare-camper-outter-iphone-4-iday-thread-69007-3.html#post650384):

11:21pm:
The mall drama has been INSANE! Here in San Antonio at the La Cantera store, they were not allowing people to line up on mall property. They said that the line had to start in the mall parking lot at 10pm. If anyone gathered before then, security was on top of them, and forced them to disperse.

I arrived at 5:45pm and found all this out. Shortly later I found a few campers walking around the mall. They had been there since 11pm Tuesday. They camped out over night right next to the Apple store in the mall, (outdoor mall) spent the night in the mall, and in the morning when the mall opened, security forced them to leave. They simply would not allow any lining up until 10pm. It was absolutely ridiculous. If any more than 3 people grouped together, security came by and said we could not wait for the iPhone yet.

So what I did was I got some white printer paper from the Apple store, and sat nearby the Apple store. I put down the guys name's that had been there since Tuesday, then myself. (I was 12th in line even though I was almost 17 hours early!) I spoke to the girl in the Apple store entrance and told her that I was going to be starting an unofficial list to organize the crowds. I said if we didn't do this, it was going to be a mob at 10pm. She was cool, since it would be help keep a mob from happening.

So from 6pm to 9pm, I had people coming to me and I put them on a list with their full name and date of arrival. I told them that between 9-9:30pm we would be organizing the line out on the parking lot in order of arrival. I said we would be accepting people and inserting them into their reserved positions in order of arrival until 9:30pm. After 9:30pm, you have to go back to the line.

So over the course of 3 hours, I took down 70 people's full names and time of arrival. There was a group in the parking lot that was directing people to me near the Apple store to sign up for the line list. Closer to 9pm, people gathered out in the parking lot in a large group. I called out eat name one-by-one and lined everyone up in order of arrival. For the next 30 minutes up until 9:30pm, I managed to get every single of the 70 people that signed up in an orderly line, in order. By some miracle they all respected me and listened to me and were quiet for me to announce names. It really was a miracle that it all worked. By the time 9:30pm came and everyone was in line, there was a total of about 80-90 people. Since then the line has grown and grown. People came here as far as 400 miles away that had planned to camp at AT&T, but then had to go to the nearest Apple store.

I'm currently tethering with my iPhone 3G, but the upload speed isn't so great so I'm not able to upload pictures and videos right now. But at last estimate from the guy next to me that walked the line, there's about 120 or so, and it's only 11pm. The line currently includes walk-ins and reservations, the Apple employees are said to be coming out at some point in the night to split the lines into walk-in and reservations.

Now I can finally rest, and enjoy the night. Those of you that pre-ordered, enjoy your phones, it's a nightmare out here.

11:59pm:
Apple has been awesome. It's the mall that has been impossible about this whole ordeal. Back in 2008, they let us camp, and the line formed organically, and it went great.

The problem is, the mall staff doesn't realize all that I went through to keep them from encountering a mob. So unfortunately, i wouldn't be surprised if they go with the same system next year. They'll be in for a surprise

UPDATE:
They now moved the first maybe 50 or so people into the mall. The rest of the who knows how many are back out in the parking lot. I'm tethering internet on iPhone still, but laptop battery is about to go. Thankfully with USB tethering, it's been charging my iPhone, so i've got 100% iPhone battery for the night! Maybe I can upload line pics from the iCafe app

The fruits of my efforts:
http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/2153/mailgooglecom3969204.jpg

15 hours of camping later, I finally got my iPhone 4 32GB. Not so happy about the system though. They were doing 20 to 1 reservations to walk-ins. That meant that at one I had two guys in front of me in the walk-in line; had to wait for 60 reservation people before I could go in. I can't imagine the mess now, there's gotta be reservations coming in all day. If you're a walk-in....well, good luck.

DevinDTA
Jun 24, 2010, 12:35 PM
Yeah, I didn't know what that group was by the parking lot last night. I overheard one of the employees telling some guy something to the effect of the group not being associated with Apple, but they're just trying to make things as accommodating as possible. I guess I missed the beginning of the convo or something. I also noticed in line that they were taking res./walk-ins in at about a 20:1 which was odd due to the fact that last night I was told it would be 10:1 and another employee told another customer the same thing.

To anyone wondering about what kind of accessories the store has in stock- this morning they had black bumpers(they didn't get the colors) and docks. No screen protectors or anything else. You can find an Invisible Shield at Radio Shack($15) or Best Buy($21) for the front only. Best Buy did have a decent selection of cases, although they weren't in the mobile phone area at the store I was at.

tripjammer
Jun 24, 2010, 01:09 PM
Hey folks how was the line this morning? Is there anybody there right now?

Its just after 1PM. I am gonna be there around 3PM.

Lamarak
Jun 24, 2010, 01:15 PM
so any update on supply there/ They sold out?

ripper998
Jun 24, 2010, 03:11 PM
your upset about a 20:1 ratio? We reserved our phones. We have priority. Some of the people in the walk up line were really rude. Its not my fault I was able to reserve.

Lruiz
Jun 24, 2010, 05:14 PM
Well I drove by la cantera around 1 but there was over 100 people so I took of to north star and I was 58th in line once 6 came about there were 300+ people they were doing. A 10/1 and sometimes a 15/1 but there was time that they would do 3/1 which was great but pre orders were priority I didn't get my iPhone until 12 felt extremely sorry for the walk in customers that were all the way in the back I bet they are not getting any iPhones today, the apple staff at north star were great they were giving out water and food for everyone

merccyyy
Jun 24, 2010, 05:32 PM
Picked up a reserved iPhone fairly easy. Arrived at the store at around 6:30 this morning and waited in line til around 9:15ish when I was then inside the store buying my iPhone and left with a fully set up phone at 9:30. The whole process wasn't bad and Chick Fil A` was out there giving out free sandwiches, fruit and brownies as well as water from the Apple employees and also Starbucks giving out cold drinks as well as coffee. The whole process was great as this was my first time buying a phone on its launch day. Great Job to the La Cantera employees. :apple:

Chris Blount
Jun 24, 2010, 05:52 PM
Thanks for the updates. I was curious how things went today. I got my phone yesterday but kind of feel like I missed out on the line experience. One thing is for sure, if my order from Apple.Com didn't work out, I would not have showed up at the store this morning without a reservation.

matt27244
Jun 24, 2010, 08:05 PM
They sure as heck didn't yesterday.

Here's what I posted last night (http://www.everythingicafe.com/forum/iphone-4/the-official-long-line-angry-customer-nightmare-camper-outter-iphone-4-iday-thread-69007-3.html#post650384):

11:21pm:
The mall drama has been INSANE! Here in San Antonio at the La Cantera store, they were not allowing people to line up on mall property. They said that the line had to start in the mall parking lot at 10pm. If anyone gathered before then, security was on top of them, and forced them to disperse.

I arrived at 5:45pm and found all this out. Shortly later I found a few campers walking around the mall. They had been there since 11pm Tuesday. They camped out over night right next to the Apple store in the mall, (outdoor mall) spent the night in the mall, and in the morning when the mall opened, security forced them to leave. They simply would not allow any lining up until 10pm. It was absolutely ridiculous. If any more than 3 people grouped together, security came by and said we could not wait for the iPhone yet.

So what I did was I got some white printer paper from the Apple store, and sat nearby the Apple store. I put down the guys name's that had been there since Tuesday, then myself. (I was 12th in line even though I was almost 17 hours early!) I spoke to the girl in the Apple store entrance and told her that I was going to be starting an unofficial list to organize the crowds. I said if we didn't do this, it was going to be a mob at 10pm. She was cool, since it would be help keep a mob from happening.

So from 6pm to 9pm, I had people coming to me and I put them on a list with their full name and date of arrival. I told them that between 9-9:30pm we would be organizing the line out on the parking lot in order of arrival. I said we would be accepting people and inserting them into their reserved positions in order of arrival until 9:30pm. After 9:30pm, you have to go back to the line.

So over the course of 3 hours, I took down 70 people's full names and time of arrival. There was a group in the parking lot that was directing people to me near the Apple store to sign up for the line list. Closer to 9pm, people gathered out in the parking lot in a large group. I called out eat name one-by-one and lined everyone up in order of arrival. For the next 30 minutes up until 9:30pm, I managed to get every single of the 70 people that signed up in an orderly line, in order. By some miracle they all respected me and listened to me and were quiet for me to announce names. It really was a miracle that it all worked. By the time 9:30pm came and everyone was in line, there was a total of about 80-90 people. Since then the line has grown and grown. People came here as far as 400 miles away that had planned to camp at AT&T, but then had to go to the nearest Apple store.

I'm currently tethering with my iPhone 3G, but the upload speed isn't so great so I'm not able to upload pictures and videos right now. But at last estimate from the guy next to me that walked the line, there's about 120 or so, and it's only 11pm. The line currently includes walk-ins and reservations, the Apple employees are said to be coming out at some point in the night to split the lines into walk-in and reservations.

Now I can finally rest, and enjoy the night. Those of you that pre-ordered, enjoy your phones, it's a nightmare out here.

11:59pm:
Apple has been awesome. It's the mall that has been impossible about this whole ordeal. Back in 2008, they let us camp, and the line formed organically, and it went great.

The problem is, the mall staff doesn't realize all that I went through to keep them from encountering a mob. So unfortunately, i wouldn't be surprised if they go with the same system next year. They'll be in for a surprise

UPDATE:
They now moved the first maybe 50 or so people into the mall. The rest of the who knows how many are back out in the parking lot. I'm tethering internet on iPhone still, but laptop battery is about to go. Thankfully with USB tethering, it's been charging my iPhone, so i've got 100% iPhone battery for the night! Maybe I can upload line pics from the iCafe app

The fruits of my efforts:
http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/2153/mailgooglecom3969204.jpg

15 hours of camping later, I finally got my iPhone 4 32GB. Not so happy about the system though. They were doing 20 to 1 reservations to walk-ins. That meant that at one I had two guys in front of me in the walk-in line; had to wait for 60 reservation people before I could go in. I can't imagine the mess now, there's gotta be reservations coming in all day. If you're a walk-in....well, good luck.

SEAN....

Thank you so much for doing what you did last night. I am so happy you got your phone and that the waiting paid off. I look forward to future launches with you. Once again, Thank you.

tripjammer
Jun 25, 2010, 12:33 AM
I got to La Cantera at 3:45 pm. I got to the apple store door at 5:15pm. I was in and out in 10 mins. This phone rocks!

La Cantera Apple Store was great! I saw people who were in the non reserve line that were there for 12 hours!

I am sorry but to stay in line for 12 hours???? Some people did not get phones.
They also sold out of ipads!

Apple cleaned up today!

court
Jun 29, 2010, 12:42 AM
Apple DID clean up didn't they?!

It was an awesome experience waiting in line. We got there at a little before 6am and we were walking out to the car at 8:20am.

I, too was a little upset with the people who didn't get to reserve their phones and were upset. I'm glad they were making sure there were enough phones for us that had reservations. The whole situation was kinda messed up though.