PDA

View Full Version : Belfast, Victoria Square

mikey2004
Jun 18, 2010, 09:54 AM
Right seems from the UK thread theres quite a few of us reserved iphone 4 at Victoria Square.

So who's all heading down? What Time? and which iPhone 4 model have you reserved or hoping to get?

I'll be down for just after 7am, reserved 16gb black

PhantomZone
Jun 18, 2010, 02:59 PM
I'll be there for my sins...32GB model tentatively 'reserved' :rolleyes:

I don't really want to be there before 7:45.....so I guess that'll put me at the back of the line lol

Who's doing the coffee run then?!

SuperDuper-C
Jun 18, 2010, 03:01 PM
Meeeeeeee :)

Not sure what time though but early enough I guess. 2/3 friends with me too.

wez99950
Jun 18, 2010, 03:04 PM
i'm hoping to get there for 10/11 - i have a 16gb reserved, do people think i may be leaving it too late if they have limited stock??

mikey2004
Jun 18, 2010, 03:08 PM
i'm hoping to get there for 10/11 - i have a 16gb reserved, do people think i may be leaving it too late if they have limited stock??

Even if you arrive at 7:30pm they'll still have it for you. I just want to get there early as ive been iphoneless for a week and its awful

mikey2004
Jun 18, 2010, 03:12 PM
Who's doing the coffee run then?!

Will starbucks be open and do they sell tea?

wez99950
Jun 18, 2010, 03:14 PM
Even if you arrive at 7:30pm they'll still have it for you. I just want to get there early as ive been iphoneless for a week and its awful

that's good to know - i have a fear that they have taken too many reserved orders and not enough stock so will be first come first serve for the reserved iphones too.
i'm in the same situation, going crazy without it - although this long lasting battery life of my current nokia 2323 has me shocked! think i've been used to the iphone battery for far too long......

SuperDuper-C
Jun 18, 2010, 03:15 PM

No they aren't open at that time I think, but the Apple store actually have coffee brought around for everyone in line (at least they have in the past.)

PhantomZone
Jun 18, 2010, 03:15 PM

not sure what time they open tbh....they do sell tea though for what its worth!

Think I'll bring my own...at least it'll be drinkable :eek:

Now I'm thinking 7am ffs.....I have to drive to Dublin after I pick it up!!

Emmanuel321
Jun 18, 2010, 03:31 PM
See you all there also :)
Reserved mines,will prob get there around 7.30am :)
Any word on if the apple store will supply the micro sim if we are setting up contract or do we need to get them from o2 on Monday?

mikey2004
Jun 18, 2010, 03:39 PM
Think i'll bring a whiskey flask then :)

PearlJam
Jun 18, 2010, 05:06 PM
Any word on if the apple store will supply the micro sim if we are setting up contract or do we need to get them from o2 on Monday?

I've been scouring another forum (with AV in it's name) and many people have posted that Apple stores will have micro SIMs available. However going to an O2 shop on Monday might be better as it'll be set up and ready for Thursday.

PearlJam
Jun 18, 2010, 05:10 PM
Right seems from the UK thread theres quite a few of us reserved iphone 4 at Victoria Square.

So who's all heading down? What Time? and which iPhone 4 model have you reserved or hoping to get?

I'll be down for just after 7am, reserved 16gb black

I've a 16GB reserved - obviously it's black but I wanted white! Unless I hear worrying information beforehand I won't be picking it up until after work, so some time between 5 and 6 in the p.m. I'm going to concerts on Tuesday and Wednesday next week so probably won't be fit for a very early drive up the A8 to Belshaft.

SparkyMarky84
Jun 18, 2010, 06:12 PM
Hi folks.

I work in town anyway so heading to Victoria Square aint a big issue for me. But i havent preordered anything as i'm hoping to get a 32gig black iPhone 4 on Orange. Do you reckon that should be a problem? Or will they only have sim free stock on release day? Or do you reckon i'd be better heading to one of the Orange shops in town and waiting there for the shop to open?

Surprised to see that there is that many others from Belfast on here....good to see!

Mark

Andy2004
Jun 18, 2010, 08:30 PM
got a 32gb black reserved.

Think il leave my house in ards about 7, just want to be there in time to see them opening the store and all the hustle and bustle thats gona be going on :)

PhantomZone
Jun 19, 2010, 03:33 AM
Hi folks.

I work in town anyway so heading to Victoria Square aint a big issue for me. But i havent preordered anything as i'm hoping to get a 32gig black iPhone 4 on Orange. Do you reckon that should be a problem? Or will they only have sim free stock on release day? Or do you reckon i'd be better heading to one of the Orange shops in town and waiting there for the shop to open?

Surprised to see that there is that many others from Belfast on here....good to see!

Mark

Scaremongering says they don't have any allocation beyond pre orders :eek:

Best thing to do is ring the store on Wednesday and ask!

SparkyMarky84
Jun 19, 2010, 05:29 AM
Just off the phone to Orange and the girl on the phone said she doesnt know if the stores will have stock on Thursday. But that i would get a text as long as i have registered online telling me how to get one. She said they still dont know if they are going to allow preorders before Thurs yet.

benfilan
Jun 19, 2010, 06:25 AM
Ok so I really want a sim free on launch day, but 1) I haven't reserved and 2) I want a white one. So I could be screwed.

Gonna wait and see if there's any news closer to the time re: availability:confused:

b-dogg
Jun 19, 2010, 06:39 AM
32gb black. the only choice!

A few questions - where's the best place to park? Is there a carpark in the centre itself?

Secondly, I'm coming from ROI. Paid a visit to an 02 republic of ireland shop today and was told that they can't port my number over to a microSIM!? The microSIM's that they have are for iPads only (I know - rubbish). I'm going to go at my SIM with a pair of scissors, but just wondering would anybody heading down Thursday morning have one of those SIM cutters? If they did that would save a lot of hassle - I'd be eternally grateful!

PhantomZone
Jun 19, 2010, 07:48 AM

A few questions - where's the best place to park? Is there a carpark in the centre itself?

Secondly, I'm coming from ROI. Paid a visit to an 02 republic of ireland shop today and was told that they can't port my number over to a microSIM!? The microSIM's that they have are for iPads only (I know - rubbish). I'm going to go at my SIM with a pair of scissors, but just wondering would anybody heading down Thursday morning have one of those SIM cutters? If they did that would save a lot of hassle - I'd be eternally grateful!

You can park in the Victoria Square car park below the Apple store!
Word is you get a micro SIM at the Apple store....not sure how it works with O2 Ireland but can't imagine it being any different! ( worst case you can take a walk round to the O2 shop 200m away and see if they'll give you one )

bkehoe
Jun 19, 2010, 08:45 AM
A sim free iPhone 4 will certainly not be coming with a microsim, and an O2 UK microsim will not work with an O2 IE account.

Vodafone changed their microsim policy yesterday and microsims are available in all VF stores from Monday for any type of account, so I'll be getting one then in preparation for Thursday. Maybe O2 will see the light as well! ;)

Oh and I haven't decided when to turn up to the store yet, I've got a reservation so no rush I guess, but I'm tempted to turn up just before the opening.

Caolan96
Jun 19, 2010, 09:15 AM
I'm guessing theres no way to upgrade your o2 contract in the apple store, as i'm due this week, and get a free iphone, so i'm guessing i have to go to an o2 shop? :(

b-dogg
Jun 19, 2010, 09:37 AM
You can park in the Victoria Square car park below the Apple store!
Word is you get a micro SIM at the Apple store....not sure how it works with O2 Ireland but can't imagine it being any different! ( worst case you can take a walk round to the O2 shop 200m away and see if they'll give you one )

Cheers. Anybody tried ringing the Apple Store and seeing what their policy is going to be with SIM cards on Thursday? Would be very surprised if they can port your existing SIM onto Micro SIM in the store.

I'm heading up for 7.30am. It would really piss me off if I turned up at 7pm to be told they were all gone (even though I've pre-ordered). That would mean no iPhone 4 until August most likely. Fingers crossed everything goes to plan - including the Micro SIM debacle. Who'd have thought we'd be discussing SIM cards on a mac rumors forum!? Very 1998 altogether - how many contacts can your SIM card hold??

mikey2004
Jun 19, 2010, 11:16 AM
I'm guessing theres no way to upgrade your o2 contract in the apple store, as i'm due this week, and get a free iphone, so i'm guessing i have to go to an o2 shop? :(

Apple do upgrades for contract iphones. Im upgrading my contract at the Apple store, im on the 18m £45pm contract, so will need to pay £89 for my iphone. Are you on the £70p/m contract?

iD4V3
Jun 19, 2010, 12:10 PM
Haha im surprised at how many from Northern Ireland are on these Forums! :)

Ill be there on Thursday to collect my iPhone, maybe about 10 ill go down for, cupa tea to keep me going :)

skiman
Jun 19, 2010, 01:09 PM
Ill be there from 04.00 - Drunk from a night out the night before, and preparing for work at 10am that day lolol oh its gonna be fun.. whos up for it?

Caolan96
Jun 19, 2010, 01:13 PM
Apple do upgrades for contract iphones. Im upgrading my contract at the Apple store, im on the 18m £45pm contract, so will need to pay £89 for my iphone. Are you on the £70p/m contract?

Yeah, like i said it's my mum who has the contract, i'm just pay and go,

but i know she pays on the £70 per month one, but somehow she still pays around 120 a month, which makes her a platinum member so she can get better phones and 6 months early upgrade.

I'm wondering what the situation is with the white?
I've been told o2 will have iPhones in stock on the 24th, and i'm wondering if they've been given a certain amount of white ones, or are the white ones just a no go everywhere at the minute?

if my local o2 had a white one in, then i'd have no problem, but i doubt they will have any iPhones (white or black) in on the 24th.

Any thoughts?

wez99950
Jun 19, 2010, 02:11 PM
those coming from Rep. of Ireland - just wondering, how are ye paying for the iphone - cash, credit card, debit/laser card?? still unsure

JonnyIreland
Jun 19, 2010, 02:58 PM
I have reserved a 16gb black, however I just sold my car this week so will be getting the bus across from the "wild west" (aka Tyrone)... The earliest bus arrives at Europa just after 8am, so I'll see you all there! :D

skiman
Jun 19, 2010, 03:05 PM
Haha... We are all nerds! Love it.

b-dogg
Jun 19, 2010, 03:26 PM
those coming from Rep. of Ireland - just wondering, how are ye paying for the iphone - cash, credit card, debit/laser card?? still unsure

Cash or credit card. Laser only works in ROI.

wez99950
Jun 19, 2010, 04:07 PM
Cash or credit card. Laser only works in ROI.

Good to know, thanks!

Caolan96
Jun 19, 2010, 04:15 PM
apparenly my local o2 store will have them on 24th, yay !

ErmiCat
Jun 19, 2010, 04:36 PM
I couldn t reserve an iPhone online last week.

Do you think they will hold some iPhone 4 for people without reservation?

Does the shop opens at 7am or 8am?

bkehoe
Jun 19, 2010, 05:34 PM
8AM opening.

RickyB
Jun 19, 2010, 05:37 PM

Just a thought - won't iPhones sold in Belfast be locked to O2 UK?

JonnyIreland
Jun 19, 2010, 05:59 PM
Just a thought - won't iPhones sold in Belfast be locked to O2 UK?

Get a sim free version in that case, I think. They are selling those.

ErmiCat
Jun 20, 2010, 04:18 AM
Anybody going there without having a reservation for the iPhone?

SparkyMarky84
Jun 20, 2010, 05:08 AM
Anybody going there without having a reservation for the iPhone?

yeah me. but i'm hoping to get it on contract. Not sim free.

RickyB
Jun 20, 2010, 05:54 AM
Get a sim free version in that case, I think. They are selling those.

How much are the SIM free versions?

RickyB
Jun 20, 2010, 06:03 AM
How much are the SIM free versions?

Just to answer my own question - £500 for the 16Gb. Ouch.

SuperDuper-C
Jun 20, 2010, 07:00 AM
Quite a few on this forum alone going! You would think only a small fraction would be on here too, which is a little worrying because it could mean there is gonna be hundreds haha.

PhantomZone
Jun 20, 2010, 07:05 AM
Quite a few on this forum alone going! You would think only a small fraction would be on here too, which is a little worrying because it could mean there is gonna be hundreds haha.

exactly what i was thinking! :eek:

mikey2004
Jun 20, 2010, 08:13 AM
Hopefully they will have 2 ques, 1 for people who've reserved and 1 for everyone else.

CptManilow
Jun 20, 2010, 11:46 AM
I'll be going down at about 9:30, hopefully the queue won't be TOO long at that point but I expecting a good few people to still be there... I've got a 16GB reserved and I'm hoping to set up a new O2 contract

Emmanuel321
Jun 20, 2010, 11:48 AM
Can anyone confirm if the apple store will give us o2 micro sims.. or do we have to get them directly from o2?

fersureDavid
Jun 20, 2010, 12:28 PM
Black 16GB.

Not sure what time I'm going at, I've got it reserved...

Any recommendations on what time to be there at? :)

Ulsterscot
Jun 20, 2010, 02:27 PM
Has anyone who pre-registered with o2 got a microSIM yet?

They had suggested that they might send them out in advance of the phone appearing but despite all manner of useless emails from the o2 "gurus" there has been no mention of whether they have started to send SIMs out.

In the initial registration, they had certainly said that they weren't guaranteeing SIMs would be sent but it would be nice to know what they are doing. More particularly, I would love to know whether I will have to go a-SIM hunting this week.

PhantomZone
Jun 20, 2010, 03:08 PM
Has anyone who pre-registered with o2 got a microSIM yet?

They had suggested that they might send them out in advance of the phone appearing but despite all manner of useless emails from the o2 "gurus" there has been no mention of whether they have started to send SIMs out.

In the initial registration, they had certainly said that they weren't guaranteeing SIMs would be sent but it would be nice to know what they are doing. More particularly, I would love to know whether I will have to go a-SIM hunting this week.

Nothing yet....think I'll just go in and get one tomorrow! I'm phoneless for a few days anyway so would rather get it changed over sooner than later! Can't imagine it being easy on the day!!

iD4V3
Jun 20, 2010, 04:06 PM
Does the store open at 9am?

ErmiCat
Jun 20, 2010, 04:10 PM

No, at 8.00

CptManilow
Jun 20, 2010, 04:44 PM
Opens at 8 am for people wanting their iPhones but 9:30 for everyone else

skiman
Jun 20, 2010, 09:35 PM
Can you pay for your iphone with cash on the day or must it be a credit or debit card? Im buying the sim free one.

PhantomZone
Jun 21, 2010, 01:35 AM
Can you pay for your iphone with cash on the day or must it be a credit or debit card? Im buying the sim free one.

theres a few stories floating around about that question...

its either - yes....or yes but you need to convert the cash to vouchers in the Apple store and then pay using the voucers :eek:

best to confirm with VS themselves!

makeyafamous
Jun 21, 2010, 01:58 AM
has it been confirmed that the belfast store will have phones available to people who que up early but dont have reservations for a handset?

i was too late for a reservation but will que up early on thurs to get one if they have any to sell

ErmiCat
Jun 21, 2010, 02:34 AM
Could someone ring them and ask if they will have phones available to people who que up early but dont have reservations for a handset?

I am still abroad....

00 44 28 9016 1900

CHEERS!

"iPhone 4 Arriving at your favourite Apple Retail Store on June 24. Stores open at 8 am (while supplies last)"

What does it mean? First comes, first gets?

makeyafamous
Jun 21, 2010, 05:03 AM
Could someone ring them and ask if they will have phones available to people who que up early but dont have reservations for a handset?

I am still abroad....

00 44 28 9016 1900

CHEERS!

"iPhone 4 Arriving at your favourite Apple Retail Store on June 24. Stores open at 8 am (while supplies last)"

What does it mean? First comes, first gets?

yes we need to find out if they have fones available for those of us with no reservation

hutchinsonjames
Jun 21, 2010, 05:38 AM
Has anyone here been at the Victoria Square store before for a product launch. Are they usually large queues like other Apple stores?

How do they work it?
Do you queue up outside the shopping centre or do they open up to let people queue outside the apple store?
Whats the earliest the queue has started to form?

I've tried to contact the store to confirm sim free stock of the iPhone 4 but they have not been able to confirm that for me yet?

Thursday can't come soon enough.

fersureDavid
Jun 21, 2010, 05:46 AM

You have to convert the cash to vouchers first.

SuperDuper-C
Jun 21, 2010, 05:47 AM
Has anyone here been at the Victoria Square store before for a product launch. Are they usually large queues like other Apple stores?

How do they work it?
Do you queue up outside the shopping centre or do they open up to let people queue outside the apple store?

I've tried to contact the store to confirm sim free stock of the iPhone 4 but they have not been able to confirm that for me yet?

Victoria Square is an outdoor shopping centre in a way, it doesn't actually lock up at night. I don't know how early a queue has started from though as I've never been to a launch before!

PhantomZone
Jun 21, 2010, 06:00 AM
Victoria Square is an outdoor shopping centre in a way, it doesn't actually lock up at night. I don't know how early a queue has started from though as I've never been to a launch before!

last year there were about 15 people for the 3G S launch ( at 7:30 or so )....I ended up dandering round a picking one up from the empty O2 store!

I guess this year will be different though with the early contract buyouts and the leap in technology :eek:

CptManilow
Jun 21, 2010, 06:00 AM

How do they work it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbIFTzLHdMM
This is the store's grand opening, that looks pretty darn busy. Don't know if it'll be more or less so on Thursday

hutchinsonjames
Jun 21, 2010, 06:22 AM
Thanks for the info.

Never thought to look on YouTube. Here's another one. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkP_YbHey2Q&feature=related
Thoughtfully time stamped so you can get an idea of when some of the first people arrived. Looks like about 15 people were already there at 6:40am. I don't imagine (I HOPE) that the iPhone 4 will draw as many people as the store opening. Stupidly I forgot to pre order.

makeyafamous
Jun 21, 2010, 06:46 AM
i just got my sister to call the store (I am in sydney) and they told her that the phones are totally sold out and if you dont have a reservation you will not get a fone on thursday :mad:

fersureDavid
Jun 21, 2010, 07:09 AM
Does anyone know if they supply the micro-sims in the Apple store for PAYG or how does that work?

PhantomZone
Jun 21, 2010, 09:42 AM
Thanks for the info.

Never thought to look on YouTube. Here's another one. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkP_YbHey2Q&feature=related
Thoughtfully time stamped so you can get an idea of when some of the first people arrived. Looks like about 15 people were already there at 6:40am. I don't imagine (I HOPE) that the iPhone 4 will draw as many people as the store opening. Stupidly I forgot to pre order.

lol....15 mental patients were there at 6:40am for the *opening* of the store.....there wasn't even anything launching that day ffs! :rolleyes:

fersureDavid --> Apple have said they'll have micro sims so asides from ringing to confirm I guess you'll have to take that as gospel!

joesploggs
Jun 21, 2010, 10:35 AM
What's that you say? Some of you guys are going to queue early and post on this thread from the queue to let the rest of us know how busy it is?
Brilliant - thanks!! :D:D

fersureDavid
Jun 21, 2010, 04:11 PM
Has anyone got a reminder email about picking up their iPhone 4 on Thursday. Just seen some Americans talking about it and it was on Google News, just wondered if anyone this side of the pond had got one? :apple:

makeyafamous
Jun 22, 2010, 12:06 AM
if anyone has reserved a phone or multiple phones and has one spare then I will happily take it of their hands.

I have no reservation and was hoping to que up early and get a "walk in" but it is looking like no reservation=no phone :(

skiman
Jun 22, 2010, 04:18 AM
Im buying one outright on thursday then taking my upgrade with o2 when the white one comes out, so Ill have one going for sale once the white one comes out ;)

joesploggs
Jun 22, 2010, 05:07 AM
Has anyone got a reminder email about picking up their iPhone 4 on Thursday. Just seen some Americans talking about it and it was on Google News, just wondered if anyone this side of the pond had got one? :apple:

Just got one :D As far as I can see it is pretty much the same email that I got when I made the reservation originally.

Actually sorry there is a small bit extra:
When you come in to pick up your iPhone 4, you'll be directed to a queue for those with reservations. We'll have Specialists ready to transfer your contacts, set up email and help you get apps so your iPhone is just the way you like it. We look forward to seeing you at the store.

skiman
Jun 22, 2010, 05:24 AM
Just got one :D As far as I can see it is pretty much the same email that I got when I made the reservation originally.

Actually sorry there is a small bit extra:
When you come in to pick up your iPhone 4, you'll be directed to a queue for those with reservations. We'll have Specialists ready to transfer your contacts, set up email and help you get apps so your iPhone is just the way you like it. We look forward to seeing you at the store.

Yip, just got my email myself. Woohoo!! Two days to go.

fersureDavid
Jun 22, 2010, 05:35 AM
Yip, just got my email myself. Woohoo!! Two days to go.

I got it too :)

CptManilow
Jun 22, 2010, 05:56 AM
Got mine too
I don't want them to take it out of the box! I love unboxing new gadgets but I guess they'll have to because I'm getting a new contract....

PhantomZone
Jun 22, 2010, 06:07 AM
Anyone ever got through to the VS store?

I've been the 'next call to be answered' for 20 minutes, 2 days in a row!

Gave up yesterday I was so bored :eek:

Edit : gave up again...30 minutes with the last 3 spent listening to a ringing tone....Thursday is going to be a absolute joke if this is anything to go by!!

mikey2004
Jun 22, 2010, 09:42 AM
Got my email from Apple, and got a micro-sim from o2 shop in Connswater. Wee buns

nataliamck
Jun 22, 2010, 09:50 AM
I cannot believe the Apple Store in Victoria Square has NO stock for walk-ins!

I held off from ordering in the hopes that'd I'd pick up a white one on launch day but now I wish I'd just ordered one. I don't think I'll bother even going near the store on Thursday.

fersureDavid
Jun 22, 2010, 10:12 AM
I can't get to the store until about 10am, will my phone still be there or not? I've already reserved. :confused:

mikey2004
Jun 22, 2010, 10:14 AM
I can't get to the store until about 10am, will my phone still be there or not? I've already reserved. :confused:

Yes

fersureDavid
Jun 22, 2010, 10:17 AM
Yes

Why does it say something about pre-authorization in the small print of the email? :confused:

joesploggs
Jun 22, 2010, 10:19 AM

I'm purposely not going down till that time to avoid the biggest queues and allow any issues with their systems to be resolved etc.
Though the temptation to go early is very great - I only live 5 mins drive away (in quiet traffic).

PhantomZone
Jun 22, 2010, 11:02 AM
I'm purposely not going down till that time to avoid the biggest queues and allow any issues with their systems to be resolved etc.
Though the temptation to go early is very great - I only live 5 mins drive away (in quiet traffic).

Considering the same thing myself....but I'm like a big kid who needs it NOW!

To boot, I'm just off the phone with a friend whos travelling and wont be back until Friday...she said shes just off the phone with the store and they'll let me pick up her reservation if i have her confirmation eMail with me :eek:

Didnt get his name but dear knows what the odds on that happening are!!

mikey2004
Jun 22, 2010, 12:53 PM
Im guessing the Kitchen Bar wont be open for us all to grab a pint after we collect our phones? :( lol

Why does it say something about pre-authorization in the small print of the email? :confused:

Its just a disclaimer

PhantomZone
Jun 22, 2010, 01:29 PM
Im guessing the Kitchen Bar wont be open for us all to grab a pint after we collect our phones? :( lol

can you imagine the looks....a load of nerds facetimin' each other :p We'd be chucked out!

By the sounds of the numbers turning up...you might well be out in time for a pint ;)

skiman
Jun 22, 2010, 03:26 PM
Im heading out tomorrow night and planning on staying out all nite if anyone else is up for it?

mikey2004
Jun 22, 2010, 04:11 PM
Im heading out tomorrow night and planning on staying out all nite if anyone else is up for it?

Tempted. What time you thinking of?

skiman
Jun 22, 2010, 05:05 PM
Tempted. What time you thinking of?

Well - Id dare say id be out on the booze from around 10pm tomorrow night (wednesday) and just staying up all night right thru to the opening.

makeyafamous
Jun 22, 2010, 10:17 PM
lol, lining up after a skinful of stout and a kebab would be much more fun!

do all of yous have reservations?

joesploggs
Jun 23, 2010, 03:11 AM
lol, lining up after a skinful of stout and a kebab would be much more fun!

I'd likely fall asleep and lose my place in the queue - would wake up at closing time on Thurs eve! Going to Pearl Jam tonight so will be pretty tired anyway tomorrow morning. Looking forward to hearing stories of ye all going on the lash then queuing!

So with one day to go - what package is everyone getting? I don't have a phone contract at the moment and am still at a complete loss what to get:

Option 1: Vodafone - the 1gb data cap tempts me plus the wife is on vodafone and I believe you get free calls to other vodafone users. However a number of people have now told me that o2's 3G reception is much better here in norn ireland.

Option 2: o2 for the reason mentioned above. Plus they seem to be very much on the ball with regards to micro-sims etc. And I hear they have great customer service.

Option 3: Splash out on sim free and try o2 simplicity for a month - if I use more than 500mb then switch to vodafone.

Any advice would be appreciated cause I just can't decide - not bothered about number of minutes and texts etc.

skiman
Jun 23, 2010, 04:28 AM
At 3.30 today, THREE are annoucing their tariffs so I would reconsider your options then, as from what I hear they are going to be blowing EVERYONE out of the water.

PhantomZone
Jun 23, 2010, 04:33 AM
At 3.30 today, THREE are annoucing their tariffs so I would reconsider your options then, as from what I hear they are going to be blowing EVERYONE out of the water.

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/33902/three-iphone-4-plan-leaked

not available tomorrow though!

Is anyone even on 3 over here? I've yet to meet someone :p

http://www.three.co.uk/_popup/Coverage_checker?maptypeForm=mobile&placename=&postcode=bt1 <-- hilarious...probably only works outdoors in most places :rolleyes:

skiman
Jun 23, 2010, 04:58 AM
http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/33902/three-iphone-4-plan-leaked

not available tomorrow though!

Is anyone even on 3 over here? I've yet to meet someone :p

http://www.three.co.uk/_popup/Coverage_checker?maptypeForm=mobile&placename=&postcode=bt1 <-- hilarious...probably only works outdoors in most places :rolleyes:

I work for 3, so Im on them, and im on o2 with my iPhone 3G... And to be honest, Im lucky to get 3G on o2 anywhere in Northern Ireland, and EVERYWHERE I go I get full 3G and HSDPA on my Three contract.

So dependant on Threes deals announced today, I might just cancel my o2 contract and go with three.

That map you put up is an amazing signal strength, You would be getting download speeds around there of anything up to 7.2mb/s

PhantomZone
Jun 23, 2010, 05:08 AM
I work for 3, so Im on them, and im on o2 with my iPhone 3G... And to be honest, Im lucky to get 3G on o2 anywhere in Northern Ireland, and EVERYWHERE I go I get full 3G and HSDPA on my Three contract.

Interesting! O2 is indeed pants....3G is fine in Belfast and a few other large towns / cities but thats it really....I rarely bother turning it on any more! ( although it is at least easy to do a quick check with SBSettings if you've jailbroken! )

skiman
Jun 23, 2010, 05:20 AM
Interesting! O2 is indeed pants....3G is fine in Belfast and a few other large towns / cities but thats it really....I rarely bother turning it on any more! ( although it is at least easy to do a quick check with SBSettings if you've jailbroken! )

Tesco Mobile (Who use the o2 network) seem to have come out with a pretty awesome deal, 12mth contract would do me lovely.

joesploggs
Jun 23, 2010, 05:23 AM
So dependant on Threes deals announced today, I might just cancel my o2 contract and go with three.

Nice info Skiman - know if I buy an unlocked phone will I be able to pick up a 3 microsim tomorrow?

skiman
Jun 23, 2010, 05:38 AM
Nice info Skiman - know if I buy an unlocked phone will I be able to pick up a 3 microsim tomorrow?

The only Three store to have micro sims, funnily enough will be Victoria Squares Three Store, funny that lol

makeyafamous
Jun 23, 2010, 05:52 AM
so do yous all phones reserved???

joesploggs
Jun 23, 2010, 05:53 AM
The only Three store to have micro sims, funnily enough will be Victoria Squares Three Store, funny that lol

Is that per chance the store you work in Skiman? :D

A mate of mine has terrible Three reception indoors in Belfast - so I think I'll be going with a Vodafone 18 month contract for the 32Gb model.

PhantomZone
Jun 23, 2010, 06:00 AM
so do yous all phones reserved???

you really need to go easy on the recreational drugs :eek:

Yes....it looks like the majority of us have phones reserved for collection!

joesploggs
Jun 23, 2010, 06:04 AM
A mate of mine has terrible Three reception indoors in Belfast - so I think I'll be going with a Vodafone 18 month contract for the 32Gb model.

Just looked at vodafone's coverage map for Belfast and other parts of N. Ireland... are they having a giraffe? Right o2 it is then - their coverage map looks much better! I'll live with the 500MB cap.

skiman
Jun 23, 2010, 06:10 AM
Just looked at vodafone's coverage map for Belfast and other parts of N. Ireland... are they having a giraffe? Right o2 it is then - their coverage map looks much better! I'll live with the 500MB cap.

Vodafone are terrible.

Nope I dont work in Vic Sq Three.

Honestly, most of the problems with network connection on three are weak antennas inside the phones, the network esp in belfast is outstanding. I was seeing download speeds on my Mobile Broadband dongle as fast as 6mb - I can only get 2mb thru my landland lol

Three has a really bad network preception, however, the network is actually bloody good. Why not get a Pay & Go sim and try it out, you will be seriously surprised.

joesploggs
Jun 23, 2010, 06:19 AM
Ha - you are a good salesman :D You now have my doubting about what to do. Do you know when I'd be able to pick up a PAYG micro-sim from Three?

Out of interest how come you are thinking about going with O2/Tesco Mobile yourself over Three?

hutchinsonjames
Jun 23, 2010, 06:23 AM
Won't be long now. So who here is going to be queuing to get there phone and if you are what time are you thinking of going.

Does anyone know if a queue has started yet? Early i know but it would be interesting to know.

PhantomZone
Jun 23, 2010, 06:31 AM
Won't be long now. So who here is going to be queuing to get there phone and if you are what time are you thinking of going.

Does anyone know if a queue has started yet? Early i know but it would be interesting to know.

I see the queue has started at Regent Street :rolleyes:

I worry about the mental wellness of people queueing this early...its bad enough doing it overnight!!

Jr1985
Jun 23, 2010, 06:37 AM
I see the queue has started at Regent Street :rolleyes:

I worry about the mental wellness of people queueing this early...its bad enough doing it overnight!!
I hope none of you lot are going to try sneaking down early :p

skiman
Jun 23, 2010, 06:43 AM
Ha - you are a good salesman :D You now have my doubting about what to do. Do you know when I'd be able to pick up a PAYG micro-sim from Three?

Out of interest how come you are thinking about going with O2/Tesco Mobile yourself over Three?

Ive had my contract with o2 for about 6 years, so ive been with them a long time.

I already have a Three contract also. Im purchasing my iphone 4 outright so as I can just put my three sim in it for the time being until they announce their iphone4 tariffs.

You can just pick up any normal sim and cut it down to micro sim size, it will work fine as this is what i did for my ipad.

Mick89
Jun 23, 2010, 08:12 AM
Hey everyone! Didn't realise there were so many people from Belfast on these forums! Quick question, do you guys think there's any point in me going down to VS tomorrow if I haven't preordered? Will the queues be massive? Do Apple VS have any allocation of stock besides pre-orders?

Any help/info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Michael

ErmiCat
Jun 23, 2010, 08:25 AM
Folks, no iPhones for people didn't pre-order - Just rang the store and they confirmed that they won't have iPhones for walking by people.

Anybody has a reservation and cannot pick it up?
Please ping me :)

Mick89
Jun 23, 2010, 08:29 AM
Folks, no iPhones for people didn't pre-order - Just rang the store and they confirmed that they won't have iPhones for walking by people.

Ahh, thanks for calling ErmiCat. I wonder when they'll have them back in stock! Interestingly Tesco has released their plans today, PAYG for £479, and with staff discount that brings it down to around £430. Does anyone know if Tesco Mobile iPhones accept O2 sim cards (as they run off the same network)?

Michael

mikey2004
Jun 23, 2010, 08:30 AM
I wonder how many pre-orders VS recieved?

Mick89
Jun 23, 2010, 08:31 AM

I heard Apple VS took the most pre-orders out of all the Apple Stores in the UK! This is probably a combination of all the Northern Ireland folk, combined with everyone from ROI!

CptManilow
Jun 23, 2010, 09:23 AM

When I phoned them, I asked how many they were expecting but he wouldn't tell me...

PhantomZone
Jun 23, 2010, 10:17 AM
I heard Apple VS took the most pre-orders out of all the Apple Stores in the UK! This is probably a combination of all the Northern Ireland folk, combined with everyone from ROI!

which, if true is 300-700 :eek: Can't see Belfast getting allocation over Regent Street though!

Whats the staff level in Belfast?!

Mick89
Jun 23, 2010, 10:25 AM
which, if true is 300-700 :eek: Can't see Belfast getting allocation over Regent Street though!

Whats the staff level in Belfast?!

Haha, if the demand is there, why not? Apple want to shift as many of these things as possible! Ermmm it's quite a small store, I'd say around 25-30 employees.

joesploggs
Jun 23, 2010, 11:34 AM
Away out now for some pre-Pearl Jam drinking! Good luck to all those going early.I plan to sneak away from work around 9-10am tomorrow - fingers crossed it won't take more than 2 hours.

Hope to see some forum posts before that! :apple:

fersureDavid
Jun 23, 2010, 01:00 PM
Will be there just before 10am tomorrow.
:)

skiman
Jun 23, 2010, 01:07 PM
Anyone heading up the early hours?

fersureDavid
Jun 23, 2010, 01:16 PM
Do Apple definitely provide the sim cards?

mikey2004
Jun 23, 2010, 01:29 PM
Anyone heading up the early hours?

Bus leaves my street at 06:15, should be there for 06:25-30. Cant be bothered to drive and pay for parking.

skiman
Jun 23, 2010, 01:37 PM
They Do.

If not, all the local phone shops will have micro sims.

Guys just a word on some o2 stock.

They seem to have quite a lot of stock

16GB - Castle court have 120 of

16gb - o2 Vic Squ has 100 of

So there is no way gonna be 220 + people in town tomorrow morning trying to upgrade... I think if your on o2 its safe to say youll be able to upgrade up until about 3pm tomorrow afternoon

clarkieni
Jun 23, 2010, 03:43 PM
wish i was going down to get mine, but i gotta work tomorrow!
think i will wait till my 3g contract runs out in august and then get it.
good luck all those travelling down tonight/tomorrow morning.

jeffirl
Jun 23, 2010, 04:55 PM

Hi, I know it's been said a couple times that there will be no stock for walk-ins. But just in case there is extra stock could people ask tomorrow while at VS just in case and post on here?

I unfortunately didn't pre-order but I'd go up from Dublin tomorrow if there was a chance of getting one.

Thanks!

skiman
Jun 23, 2010, 05:14 PM
Hi, I know it's been said a couple times that there will be no stock for walk-ins. But just in case there is extra stock could people ask tomorrow while at VS just in case and post on here?

I unfortunately didn't pre-order but I'd go up from Dublin tomorrow if there was a chance of getting one.

Thanks!

Ill have my mac and my mobile broadband dongle with me, so I will post the second im in the store at about 8am and let you know if they have any left for walk ins. Dont forget the phones are only held for one day,so if u are there first thing the following morning theres bound to be some stock.

ErmiCat
Jun 23, 2010, 05:15 PM
Ill have my mac and my mobile broadband dongle with me, so I will post the second im in the store at about 8am and let you know if they have any left for walk ins. Dont forget the phones are only held for one day,so if u are there first thing the following morning theres bound to be some stock.

Sweet! Looking forward hearing from you in the morning!
Thanks.

simescole
Jun 23, 2010, 05:23 PM
Contrary to earlier postings... I phone Apple VS at about 4.30pm this afternoon and they were saying that they had stock for walk-in's but it was very limited in quantity.

mikey2004
Jun 23, 2010, 05:40 PM
http://twitter.com/amanakbar

CptManilow
Jun 23, 2010, 05:58 PM
http://twitter.com/amanakbar
Awesome, thanks!

hutchinsonjames
Jun 23, 2010, 08:12 PM
Ok in here at the apple store in VS. 5 people in the reservations queue and 8 in the walk in's line.

I hope this phone has the power to drive me home in the morning otherwise I'm buffered.

hutchinsonjames
Jun 23, 2010, 08:49 PM
Ok it seems I'm already buffered. But m
driving home I hope I'm not buggered.

airbedman
Jun 23, 2010, 10:57 PM
Anyone got any pics of the queue outside Vic sq. apple store?

simescole
Jun 23, 2010, 11:26 PM
It's 5.20am, there are only 15 people in the walk-in queue at present, surprisingly small so far!

PhantomZone
Jun 23, 2010, 11:49 PM
It's 5.20am, there are only 15 people in the walk-in queue at present, surprisingly small so far!

Think I'll just go down for opening time!

If theres 30 staff ( for example ) and say even 100 in front of me, its going to be less than an hours wait! ( rofl - honest )

skiman
Jun 24, 2010, 12:14 AM
06.12 and there's 25 in the non reserved queue and about 20 in reserved queue!

It's bloody freezin tho! Hello to anyone here!

ErmiCat
Jun 24, 2010, 01:31 AM
I am still in Dublin....won t get up there.

I get the white in July...

Good luck all!

CptManilow
Jun 24, 2010, 02:19 AM
Any news crews there are anything?

nataliamck
Jun 24, 2010, 02:34 AM
Would someone please ask when they are expecting another batch in?

SparkyMarky84
Jun 24, 2010, 02:46 AM
Well folks! I got one!!!! 32GB BABY!!! Woohoo!!!!!!

I was done and dusted and outta the store at 8.02am.

I turned up to the orange store at Victoria Square in Corn Market at 5am and was first in the queue. There ended up only being about 15 of us by the time i left. But they only had 10 phones...and only 1 32gb!!!!! (which i got). Few disappointed people hoping for 32's which had to settle for 16's...but they still were happy enough to get a 16.

At 5am there was about 10people outside the O2 store, and about 150-200 when i walked past at 8am.

Didnt see the apple store but apparently there were about 50-60people at 5.30am (including a lot of overnighters)...and two massive queues gowing right over the bridge at about 8am.

Good luck to everyone hoping to get one!!!

nataliamck
Jun 24, 2010, 03:15 AM
Well folks! I got one!!!! 32GB BABY!!! Woohoo!!!!!!

I was done and dusted and outta the store at 8.02am.

I turned up to the orange store at Victoria Square in Corn Market at 5am and was first in the queue. There ended up only being about 15 of us by the time i left. But they only had 10 phones...and only 1 32gb!!!!! (which i got). Few disappointed people hoping for 32's which had to settle for 16's...but they still were happy enough to get a 16.

At 5am there was about 10people outside the O2 store, and about 150-200 when i walked past at 8am.

Didnt see the apple store but apparently there were about 50-60people at 5.30am (including a lot of overnighters)...and two massive queues gowing right over the bridge at about 8am.

Good luck to everyone hoping to get one!!!

Congrats on your new phone. I was outside Orange this morning too but left because they said no PAYG yet but they phoned me yesterday and told me to come down early! Ragin!

Now I'm going to see if I can get a sim free from Apple in the next batch. No way I'm signing another contract because I'll just want the one next June :D

joesploggs
Jun 24, 2010, 03:23 AM
Is there anyone in the same boat as me - you have a reservation but you don't know what time to go down and starting to feel a bit nervous about all this talk of massive queues and whether the reservation will actually be kept :eek:
Here is a queue outside the o2 shop:
http://yfrog.com/5h23dfoj

Imagine there are a LOT more outside the Apple store at the moment.

mikey2004
Jun 24, 2010, 03:45 AM
Just back from Apple Vic Sq. Got there about 6:20am, about 30-35 people in non-reserved que and about 20 in reserved. Finally got out at 9:05am.

No News cameras and the Apple store girl said she was surprised, as these were the biggest ques she'd seen.

Good luck to anyone going up at lunch, I'd say you have a 2 hour wait.

joesploggs
Jun 24, 2010, 03:46 AM
Ah nice one Mikey - enjoy!! Think I will pop down shortly hopefully won't be too busy!

JonnyIreland
Jun 24, 2010, 03:59 AM
Arrived just after 8am, I'm in the reserved queue.... Still must be 60-70+ people in front of me (10am now). Definitely the biggest crowds I've seen for a launch here! It's crazy.

joesploggs
Jun 24, 2010, 04:06 AM
How many are behind you Johnny? I don't want to be away from work too long.

JonnyIreland
Jun 24, 2010, 04:40 AM
I would estimate a 2-2.5 hour wait if you joined the reserved queue right now (10.40am)

JonnyIreland
Jun 24, 2010, 04:49 AM
And there's at least 30 behind me with reservations right now...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v96/ShaniasIrishGuy/f5c0220b.jpg

joesploggs
Jun 24, 2010, 04:53 AM
I am third from the back at the moment- going to be here a while doh! Hope no one from work figures I'm missing!!

SuperDuper-C
Jun 24, 2010, 05:27 AM
Was the first kid in today :D (Was at the front of the reservation line) Was hopefully going to get the first "official" phone sold in Ireland but O2's sim activation had a major crash right at the start and a lady going contract actually got the first one I believe. Ahh well, great experience, and I'm super happy, good luck to everyone else! :D

nataliamck
Jun 24, 2010, 05:32 AM
Was the first kid in today :D (Was at the front of the reservation line) Was hopefully going to get the first "official" phone sold in Ireland but O2's sim activation had a major crash right at the start and a lady going contract actually got the first one I believe. Ahh well, great experience, and I'm super happy, good luck to everyone else! :D

Lucky you :p

Any mention of stock? How much they have or when they'll have more in?

hutchinsonjames
Jun 24, 2010, 06:30 AM
****NEWS FLASH *****

The Victoria Square store does not have enough iPhones to meet Reservations.

Ok I queued overnight in the Walk In line to get my phone this morning. (Don't ask me why I just really wanted one, and I was driving from Dublin so I thought may as well stay in line rather then go anywhere else to kill time. I was seventh in line. Anyway when I was buying my beautiful 32GB unlocked baby I asked about the number of reservations and the stock level. The staff told me that they had received more reservations than they had phones and that if you had a phone reserved there was no guarantee that a phone would be available for you today. So much so that he pointed out there was a disclaimer to that effect on the emails Apple sent out.

:apple: IF YOU HAVE A RESERVED PHONE DON'T DELAY TO PICK IT UP. :apple:

On another note I crossed the border in to the South at 10:14am. Does that make mine the first iPhone in the Republic? :)

nataliamck
Jun 24, 2010, 06:38 AM
Well there goes my plan to try and pick one up tonight or tomorrow :rolleyes:

Wonder when they'll have more in...

JonnyIreland
Jun 24, 2010, 06:41 AM
****NEWS FLASH *****

Funny you should say this, an Apple employee just walked along the reservations line making a statement, he was saying "there has been some misinformation around, there ARE enough phones for everyone with a reservation". However, they are only letting 1 person into the store without a reservation for every 10 entering with a reservation.
Been here over 4 hours now, only a half dozen more in front of me!
Oh, an RTE crew were just here too, lol.

Jr1985
Jun 24, 2010, 06:41 AM
Got my iPhone! OMG I queued for 4.5 hours! RTE showed up shortly before I got my phone.

nataliamck
Jun 24, 2010, 06:46 AM
Urg! I'm sick of all the bloody rumours! I'll just go down tonight and see for myself! :confused:

hutchinsonjames
Jun 24, 2010, 06:47 AM
Here are some photos they are not great but hey they were taking with my now retired iPhone 2G.

6:30am - Walk In Line
http://idisk.me.com/james.hutchinson/Public/Pictures/Skitch/Photos_-_102-20100624-124420.jpg

6:48am - Staff getting ready to open at 7am
http://idisk.me.com/james.hutchinson/Public/Pictures/Skitch/Photos_-_103-20100624-124529.jpg

9:16am - Walk In Line
http://idisk.me.com/james.hutchinson/Public/Pictures/Skitch/Photos_-_104-20100624-124601.jpg

9:20am - Both the Walk In and Reservations Line
http://idisk.me.com/james.hutchinson/Public/Pictures/Skitch/Photos_-_106-20100624-124703.jpg

hutchinsonjames
Jun 24, 2010, 06:51 AM
JonnyIreland thats great I hope it is the case. I was just repeating what I was told. Still if you really want one today I would head down sooner rather than later to avoid disappointment.

sjdigital
Jun 24, 2010, 07:15 AM
****NEWS FLASH *****

Ok I queued overnight in the Walk In line to get my phone this morning. (Don't ask me why I just really wanted one, and I was driving from Dublin so I thought may as well stay in line rather then go anywhere else to kill time. I was seventh in line. Anyway when I was buying my beautiful 32GB unlocked baby I asked about the number of reservations and the stock level. The staff told me that they had received more reservations than they had phones and that if you had a phone reserved there was no guarantee that a phone would be available for you today. So much so that he pointed out there was a disclaimer to that effect on the emails Apple sent out.

There is no disclaimer on the emails relating to the reservation. There is a disclaimer about pre-authorization which is not the same as reservation and would seem to relate to AT&T pre-authorizations (note the US spelling)

evren
Jun 24, 2010, 07:29 AM
What is the queue in Victoria Square like at the moment??

hutchinsonjames
Jun 24, 2010, 09:09 AM
Right then. Who wants to test "FaceTime". If you want to test it give me a call on 086 8390466

joesploggs
Jun 24, 2010, 10:06 AM
JonnyIreland thats great I hope it is the case. I was just repeating what I was told. Still if you really want one today I would head down sooner rather than later to avoid disappointment.

I can verify this we were told they had an iPhone for every reservation plus extra. Tomorrow they will be selling any phones from reservations that were not collected - so get down there early. I think they might be opening at 8am again.

JonnyIreland I mustn't have been too far behind you in the queue as I recognised the guy with red rucksack from your photo earlier.
Took me 3.5 hours queuing - did it take you longer? Anyone else I'd say expect a 2-3 hour wait - bring food, drink and something do e.g. a book or angry birds.

nataliamck
Jun 24, 2010, 10:37 AM
How are the queues looking down there now?

JonnyIreland
Jun 24, 2010, 11:19 AM
I can verify this we were told they had an iPhone for every reservation plus extra. Tomorrow they will be selling any phones from reservations that were not collected - so get down there early. I think they might be opening at 8am again.

JonnyIreland I mustn't have been too far behind you in the queue as I recognised the guy with red rucksack from your photo earlier.
Took me 3.5 hours queuing - did it take you longer? Anyone else I'd say expect a 2-3 hour wait - bring food, drink and something do e.g. a book or angry birds.

I agree. And there were rumours aplenty, that's for sure. What a crazy day, I can't say that I enjoyed the experience, it's back to preordering for home delivery for me. I JUST this moment got home -total trip time for an iPhone = 12 hours. :eek: I'm actually too tired to play with my new toy for now.

Guv280984
Jun 24, 2010, 01:10 PM
Hey,

I arrived at Victoria Square this morning at 7am to find roughly 30 people in front of me in the reservations queue.

By 7.30am the queue had already doubled and kept growing right up to opening time so I think I timed it nicely...

Finally got into the Store at 9.15 and left at 9.45 after upgrading on o2...

A thoroughly enjoyable experience and the Apple Staff in Victoria Square were fantastic! Thanks guys for all your help today, it was awesome!

fersureDavid
Jun 24, 2010, 02:30 PM
Got it ;D

Arrived at 10am, last of the line for a while... Wasn't out until after 2pm. Was definitely worth it though, thought I would've got loads of looks for being 15, but the workers were really friendly. :)

sjdigital
Jun 24, 2010, 11:57 PM
Apparently things speeded up after 9.00 pm when the networks were no longer handling contract upgrades, etc., but those with reservations were given a ticket to come back the next day, or even later, to get their phone and contract. My wife got mine at about 9.30 after a two and a half hour wait. But she had nothing but praise for the staff at the store who were helpful and friendly and even provided coffee and water for those queuing.

JonnyIreland
Jun 25, 2010, 04:03 AM
Got it ;D

Arrived at 10am, last of the line for a while... Wasn't out until after 2pm. Was definitely worth it though, thought I would've got loads of looks for being 15, but the workers were really friendly. :)

Yeah, I just want to say that although I didn't enjoy yesterday too much, all the Apple Store employees were amazing and definitely deserve a mention. It must have been such a long and crazy (& repetitive!) day for them, so well done to any of the staff if they read this -you all did great, so thank you! :D

hutchinsonjames
Jun 25, 2010, 04:24 AM
I hope everyone who was hoping to get their iphone yesterday got one. I have to agree the staff were great I really enjoyed the whole experience.

Has anyone got to try out Facetime yet. It's the only thing I have been able test yet. So if someone wants to give it a spin let me know.

Also I notice that I can now sync my hi-def apple TV movies to my iphone. Cool. Don't know if it will play to the tv through the AV leads as I haven't tried it yet but I imagine it will.

nataliamck
Jun 25, 2010, 05:19 AM
After 2 failed attempts at getting an iPhone 4 yesterday I thought I'd give it one more go. So I went back to the apple store at 730am this morning. Was 6th in line, got in at 9am and was out by 910. Then went straight to vodafone who activated my microsim and I was using my iPhone 4.

Yesterday was quite stressful but today went so smoothly. I think next time I'll wait to the day after launch. I'm so happy with my iPhone though, it was worth the wait.

hutchinsonjames
Jun 25, 2010, 05:35 AM
What are people in the south doing for Microsims. I just cut mine down to size. Has anyone been able to get an official one?

Jr1985
Jun 25, 2010, 10:13 AM
Have any of you lot had the reception problem? The signal gets quite low if I grasp it tightly, but if I hold it the way I normally would then it's fine.

But in saying that I'd hate to think that I spent £500 on something that's faulty, and not an issue common to many phones, including the previous iPhones, which has been suggested. I wonder if it has been an issue with the previous iPhones, but we're only noticing it now because they made a big deal about the new antenna?

I think I'll wait for a week or so to see what Apple has to say (assuming they have more to say than "you're holding it wrong"...), before making any decisions

fersureDavid
Jun 25, 2010, 10:23 AM
To the person above, you are holding it wrong.
That's what I've heard, anyway.

You see, the left side is the antenna for carrier network and all, so if you grasp it tightly the network will slowly disappear. I only have this problem if I hold the phone in my left hand, tightly but when I hold it 'normally' it's fine.

joesploggs
Jun 25, 2010, 10:43 AM
Have any of you lot had the reception problem? The signal gets quite low if I grasp it tightly, but if I hold it the way I normally would then it's fine.

Yes was pretty annoyed by this. I am right handed but I hold the phone in my left hand - especially when holding it in front of me for internet surfing etc.
However I have noticed that the issue varies depending on location. For example I can easily re-create at home but I couldn't re-create it in the office today.
I even noticed that it would lose the signal when in my pocket - I'd take it out and no bars but they would quickly start re-appearing... useless!

Being the sucker that I am I splashed out on the official apple bumper today (it's supposed to resolve the issue) - will test properly again tonight.

bkehoe
Jun 25, 2010, 12:32 PM
What are people in the south doing for Microsims. I just cut mine down to size. Has anyone been able to get an official one?

Yep, I got a Vodafone MicroSIM on Wednesday and when I was getting near the front of the line yesterday morning I just got them to change my account over to it so by the time I had my iPhone4 in hand, the microsim was active! :D

Jr1985
Jun 26, 2010, 11:53 AM
Yes was pretty annoyed by this. I am right handed but I hold the phone in my left hand - especially when holding it in front of me for internet surfing etc.
However I have noticed that the issue varies depending on location. For example I can easily re-create at home but I couldn't re-create it in the office today.
I even noticed that it would lose the signal when in my pocket - I'd take it out and no bars but they would quickly start re-appearing... useless!

Being the sucker that I am I splashed out on the official apple bumper today (it's supposed to resolve the issue) - will test properly again tonight.

Where did you get the bumper? I tried the Apple store yesterday and they were sold out?

joesploggs
Jun 26, 2010, 01:50 PM
Sorry- got it in the apple store Friday lunchtime. Having spent a couple of days with it on my new iPhone I'm actually pretty happy with it. Apart from fixing the reception issue (which apparently will be resolved by an OS update early next week anyway) it gives the phone a much more comfortable and sturdy feeling in your hands.
However warning- some headphones and 3.5mm jacks won't fit with the bumper attached and the same goes for unofficial USB/charger cables. Pretty annoying but I definitely don't regret the purchase.

fersureDavid
Jul 3, 2010, 06:42 AM
Apple are releasing a software update soon :)

Dear iPhone 4 Users,

The iPhone 4 has been the most successful product launch in Appleís history. It has been judged by reviewers around the world to be the best smartphone ever, and users have told us that they love it. So we were surprised when we read reports of reception problems, and we immediately began investigating them. Here is what we have learned.

To start with, gripping almost any mobile phone in certain ways will reduce its reception by 1 or more bars. This is true of iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, as well as many Droid, Nokia and RIM phones. But some users have reported that iPhone 4 can drop 4 or 5 bars when tightly held in a way which covers the black strip in the lower left corner of the metal band. This is a far bigger drop than normal, and as a result some have accused the iPhone 4 of having a faulty antenna design.

At the same time, we continue to read articles and receive hundreds of emails from users saying that iPhone 4 reception is better than the iPhone 3GS. They are delighted. This matches our own experience and testing. What can explain all of this?

We have discovered the cause of this dramatic drop in bars, and it is both simple and surprising.

Upon investigation, we were stunned to find that the formula we use to calculate how many bars of signal strength to display is totally wrong. Our formula, in many instances, mistakenly displays 2 more bars than it should for a given signal strength. For example, we sometimes display 4 bars when we should be displaying as few as 2 bars. Users observing a drop of several bars when they grip their iPhone in a certain way are most likely in an area with very weak signal strength, but they donít know it because we are erroneously displaying 4 or 5 bars. Their big drop in bars is because their high bars were never real in the first place.

To fix this, we are adopting AT&Tís recently recommended formula for calculating how many bars to display for a given signal strength. The real signal strength remains the same, but the iPhoneís bars will report it far more accurately, providing users a much better indication of the reception they will get in a given area. We are also making bars 1, 2 and 3 a bit taller so they will be easier to see.

We will issue a free software update within a few weeks that incorporates the corrected formula. Since this mistake has been present since the original iPhone, this software update will also be available for the iPhone 3GS and iPhone 3G.

We have gone back to our labs and retested everything, and the results are the sameó the iPhone 4ís wireless performance is the best we have ever shipped. For the vast majority of users who have not been troubled by this issue, this software update will only make your bars more accurate. For those who have had concerns, we apologise for any anxiety we may have caused.

As a reminder, if you are not fully satisfied, you can return your undamaged iPhone to any Apple Retail Store or the online Apple Store within 30 days of purchase for a full refund.

We hope you love the iPhone 4 as much as we do.

Thank you for your patience and support.

Apple

joesploggs
Jul 3, 2010, 07:38 AM
Does anyone else from this thread have the problem where your phone completely loses it's signal when in your pocket (I have the bumper)?
When I take my phone out of my jeans it nearly always has the network lost message - however I seem to have bars on my signal indicator. So it's as if the signal is only completely lost for a short period and then it resumes.

Maybe not a big deal you might say but I use the TunedIn App to listen to digital radio when on the move and you soon realise that the signal disappears after a few minutes in the pocket.

Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this - particularly anyone in Belfast on O2.

nataliamck
Jul 6, 2010, 11:00 AM
I'm on Vodafone in Lisburn and I am constantly getting that "no cellular data" message even though I have full signal.

It's particularly annoying when I'm typing a message and it stops me typing. I wish I could turn off that warning somehow because I never have trouble sending or receiving messages.

ErmiCat
Jul 6, 2010, 11:01 AM
I'm on Vodafone in Lisburn and I am constantly getting that "no cellular data" message even though I have full signal.

It's particularly annoying when I'm typing a message and it stops me typing. I wish I could turn off that warning somehow because I never have trouble sending or receiving messages.

Did you switch the 3G / Data settings on?

nataliamck
Jul 7, 2010, 04:43 AM
Did you switch the 3G / Data settings on?

I've got data settings on but I only turn 3G on when I need it to save battery.

Has anyone else noticed that the iPhone 4 is completely useless in 2G? I used to be able to use safari and Facebook on my 3GS while on 2G but now it won't even load. A bit annoying if I just want to check something quickly.