PDA

View Full Version : Charlotte, NC - Southpark Mall - iPhone 4

pcguru83
Jun 18, 2010, 10:34 AM
So I've never lined up at an Apple Store before, but we're thinking of skipping our annual AT&T line up this year. :) How does this work with it being in the mall? I'm assuming the mall opens earlyish for walkers and whatnot, but what if there are people there before that? Is there a door everyone lines up at? Are there signs?

jameskk
Jun 18, 2010, 01:02 PM
I'm considering going here or mall of Georgia. I live in SC about halfway between the two stores. I'm particularly interested in whichever one will let us camp overnight inside.

pcguru83
Jun 18, 2010, 01:04 PM
Southpark is a fairly upscale mall, so I have my doubts about camping out inside. I'm curious if the mall management office could provide some direction.

Taldir
Jun 18, 2010, 08:42 PM
I'll be arriving early.. Not sure where to go. Guess I'll call the Apple store on Monday.

pcguru83
Jun 18, 2010, 08:46 PM
I'll be arriving early.. Not sure where to go. Guess I'll call the Apple store on Monday.
I actually called today. The guy I spoke to said that they had to convince the mall they had to open at 7am (the mall normally opens at 8am). He said the doors to the actual mall would not be opening any sooner than 7am. So I have no clue now where to go in the meantime. If we all have to wait outside at different doors and then race to the Apple Store, that is going to be utter chaos (and not very easy to plan for).

stevegm
Jun 19, 2010, 09:03 AM
I may be able to shed some light on it. We lined up for iPad at South Park mall. The mall is an upscale mall, with a parking garage that is partly underground, so to speak. There is a particular entrance to the main mall that opens first each day I believe, to allow mall walkers and employees in. It is the one by the Tinder Box store. However, mall security will not let people camp out over night. There is a McDonalds (24 hours) across the street from the mall. Perhaps a meet up there is in order?

FYI - with iPad, there were two lines - one for reservations and one for people without reservations. The Apple store employees checked your name to make sure you were on the reservation list, and then you were put in that line. The line and purchase went smoothly.

itoddm
Jun 19, 2010, 01:39 PM
I've reserved my iphone. Work nearby but not sure if I'm going before work or after work. I have to be at work at 8 and not sure if I can get in and out and still be at work on time. Plus I'm not sure what entrance will be open at that time in order to work my way to the store.

vijay007
Jun 19, 2010, 02:14 PM
I am plannning to come to the mall around 6:30 AM. Hoping to be in the 1st 50 in pre-order line.

arcanic
Jun 19, 2010, 04:22 PM
I'll be arriving early myself....I've always gone to AT&T for launches, so I too have no clue what entrance to go to.

itoddm
Jun 19, 2010, 04:57 PM
I have no idea where the TimberBox store is at so I still don't know what door to go in. I've reserved my phone also and work fairly close. I am supposed to be at work at 8, but don't want to be super late. I wonder if I get there a little before 7, if I could be out by 8 or 8:30 (that could be wishful thinking). Otherwise I may just leave work a little early (3:30) and pick it up. I thought about going by during lunch but figured that could be another big rush time.

Would the entrance be the one right there at Magginaones and CheeseCake Factory? Part of me wants to be there for the excitement but I have no interest in running through the mall to get to the store.

itoddm
Jun 19, 2010, 05:03 PM
Here is a question for the person that was there for the iPad release. Will they allow you to shop around? I don't want to leave without picking up some type of case that may be available. I want a little something in terms of protection. I'm guessing I could buy the iphone and then look at the cases.

trigonometry
Jun 19, 2010, 06:25 PM
I hope the Apple store and South Park collaborate to make this a seamless process as possible. I'm talking security. Never been here before. People without reservations could get out of hand. Maybe I'm paranoid. Hype train will be blazing by Thurs. mourning. These things will probably be worth thousands. Angry people who couldnt preorder trying to get the front of the line. Masked men in an "underground!" parking garage. Upscale dont mean jack.

On a side note. Being this is the south everybody should know at least one at&t store in the boonies where iPhone is just not on the socio-economic radar. Anybody ever tried that? I mean it could be 5 min. in and out!

trigonometry
Jun 19, 2010, 06:45 PM
As far as the side note in my post above I just called a RadioShack in a hick town where all they have is Edge. You know what he said? "Not gone happen!"

stevegm
Jun 19, 2010, 06:52 PM
I just typed a post, and it seems to have been deleted somehow. Sorry if they double post.

Sorry for the lack of details on the Tinder Box. I see how it is useless if you have never been there. :-)

I will try to give directions from memory:
The Tinder Box is roughly in the middle of the underground parking garage. I normally enter off Fairview by the CVS. You go north there on a small side street. After you pass the above ground garages on the right you come to a stop sign, I believe. Off to the right is a ramp down into the underground garage, so to speak. The entrance road turns to the left inside the garage, and the Tinder Box is about half way down. It is inside, but, you can see it through the glass. There is an escalator inside next to it that takes you up into the mall.

For the iPad, the mall would not allow cam;ing or people there overnight.

Hope this helps.

stevegm
Jun 19, 2010, 06:58 PM
I was at the Apple store at Southpark Mall today. The employee told me this:

1) They will open at 7 am Thursday.
2) There should be two lines - one for people with reservations and one for people who do not have reservations.
3) I asked him if they really hold your phone until you get there (for the allotted time Apple gives you - I guess that is that day this time around)? He said yes.
4) He confirmed my reservation - whoo, whoo.

I am not sure when we will go. Please let us know when you are going and maybe we will see you there.

itoddm - when we bought our iPad, we had full freedom to shop (or so it seemed). And we did buy a case then. When we were allowed in the store (they let a few people in out of the line at a time), we were greated by an employee that got us the iPad, helped us pick out a case, offered to set it up, took our payment and sent us on our way. I think we could have bought a mouse, software or a Mac, right then. There was no rush or push at all once you were in the store.

Hope this helps.

robby1031
Jun 19, 2010, 07:30 PM
I was at the Apple store at Southpark Mall today. The employee told me this:

1) They will open at 7 am Thursday.
2) There should be two lines - one for people with reservations and one for people who do not have reservations.
3) I asked him if they really hold your phone until you get there (for the allotted time Apple gives you - I guess that is that day this time around)? He said yes.
4) He confirmed my reservation - whoo, whoo.

I am not sure when we will go. Please let us know when you are going and maybe we will see you there.

itoddm - when we bought our iPad, we had full freedom to shop (or so it seemed). And we did buy a case then. When we were allowed in the store (they let a few people in out of the line at a time), we were greated by an employee that got us the iPad, helped us pick out a case, offered to set it up, took our payment and sent us on our way. I think we could have bought a mouse, software or a Mac, right then. There was no rush or push at all once you were in the store.

Hope this helps.

This is great information, thanks. I have a reservation for a 32 GB iPhone 4 on the 24th and took a half-day vacation from work because I wasn't sure what to anticipate in terms of wait times. I was actually going to call the store myself to ask so I am glad I checked here first. Sounds like those with reservations may have a fairly easy time getting in regardless of the time of day you go, plus the added assurance that you will get the device on launch day.

stevegm
Jun 19, 2010, 07:34 PM
Ya, he said that the reserved units are literally set aside - like separate from the units available for walk-ins. Not sure if that is true. But, from that, I would think we are safe. But, you never know. I am sure there will still be tons of people lining up. And, I won't feel comfortable that mine will be there, unless I do too. I will be there early. I just have to figure out how early it will be.

itoddm
Jun 19, 2010, 09:46 PM
I realize that no one knows for sure but is the entrance near TimberBox the only way in the mall at that time of the morning? I know there is an entrance right behind Joseph Beth Bookstore also.

For anyone that has never been to South Park Mall it can be confusing inside the mall because it is big and every where that the halls cross looks like the ones before. The Apple store is beside Sur La Table. If you enter behind Joseph Beth Bookstore and Dick's Sporting Goods, there is a California Pizza on the left in the entrance of the mall. IF you walk in the mall there and go straight and make a right at the next "intersection" the Apple store is straight ahead on the left. Of course those directions will only help if that set of doors is open at 7am.

The more I think about it, I may just try to be there at 7am and if it looks to wild or chaotic, I will just come back later. Maybe I will take a risk and "get caught up in the drama."

stevegm
Jun 19, 2010, 10:36 PM
itoddm - Ya, there are tons of different entrances. Who knows which ones will be open in the morning. And, with the mall not letting anyone line up or camp out or anything before they open it makes it difficult.

smitzzz24
Jun 19, 2010, 10:56 PM
I've reserved my iphone. Work nearby but not sure if I'm going before work or after work. I have to be at work at 8 and not sure if I can get in and out and still be at work on time. Plus I'm not sure what entrance will be open at that time in order to work my way to the store.

I'll be there about 5:30ish that AM I believe. I've got a reservation as well. I work right across the street as well, hope to make it in and out by 8am as well. If not, I'll be a bit late. From what I've heard in the past, they open the door near Tinder Box- that's the only entrance. Per Allie at the apple store, they will open the mall door at 6am and they will open at 7am. Hope this goes smoothly!

Taldir
Jun 20, 2010, 06:57 AM
itoddm - Ya, there are tons of different entrances. Who knows which ones will be open in the morning. And, with the mall not letting anyone line up or camp out or anything before they open it makes it difficult.

Yeah I have to be at work at 7:30AM that day. I planned on being first in line so I could just get this done and scoot to work in time. Sounds like thats going to be hard with no camping allowed..

Taldir
Jun 20, 2010, 06:58 AM
Here's another thread already started: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=941276&highlight=charlotte

stevegm
Jun 20, 2010, 10:24 AM
I think I will get there at 6 or 6:30 am. It seems like, based on what everyone else is doing, that should work fine. I feel much more comfortable after talking to the Apple store employee yesterday who said that phones for the people with reservations will be set aside and held until they are picked up. So, I am almost inclined to spare myself of all the hype and just go in at lunch or after work. I haven't decided yet. Either first thing at 6 or 6:30 in the morning, or just wait until later in the day.

pcguru83
Jun 20, 2010, 10:31 AM
My wife is clinging to hope that white iPhones will be available at launch at Apple Stores. I hope we know definitively one way or the other Wednesday. I seriously doubt they are going to be available at launch, but we'll see I suppose.

If they are available, they will surely be in short supply. We were planning on camping out Wednesday night, but that obviously isn't going to be happening.

Any strategies for being very close to the front if we're willing to be there super early (say...11pm Wednesday)? Or is there not even any point?

stevegm
Jun 20, 2010, 10:38 AM
I was at the Apple store yesterday and they said definitely no white iPhones for launch. I wanted one too. I was very disappointed. The mall won't allow staying all night. There was a story in the paper or somewhere, with the iPad, a father and son showed up at like 4 am, and the security guards made them leave, and come back at 7 am when they opened the doors to the mall. It is a bummer. But, I think that getting there at 6 or 6:30 should work. With a reservation, the phones are held anyhow. I am still debating whether to go in the morning or wait until lunch on launch day.

robby1031
Jun 20, 2010, 11:18 AM
That's what I'm going to do. I'm taking a half-day vacation from work and leaving at 1:00 to go pick mine up. I'm not an existing AT&T customer so I know I have to figure in the extra time for setting up my plan, signing a new contract, etc. I've got nothing else going on that afternoon so a little wait won't hurt. I'm not worried as long as those with reservations are guaranteed a device will be available for them that day.

DavidPlatt
Jun 20, 2010, 08:21 PM
For the iPad, the mall actually opened up at 7, but the reserved iPads started selling at 9am, and the walk-ins got to start buying them at 10am. I was about 20 people back in the walk-in line, and it took an hour and a half for me to buy mine because they let so many reserved people walk in before walk-ins. This is just an FYI to everyone trying to get to work on time: I don't think you'll be able to get out at anytime before 9, definitely not before 8.

I was in front of the people interviewed by the paper (I was also interviewed), and they said they got to the mall at 4am, and were turned away from a guard, but I'm not sure what entrance they tried. From the story they told to me (a little more than what the Charlotte Observer interviewer wrote), I'm fairly sure they tried a main entrance point like beside the Cheesecake Factory, not the Tinderbox entrance. How much that matters, I'm not sure…

I personally plan on getting to the mall around 5, and if they won't let me in, then I'll wait in my car. There's actually another entrance for employees behind the Apple Store (near the mall office) that might open earlier, but I have no idea how to get there in a car or if it would open first.

I hope this helps answer any questions, let me know if you have any more!

I don't know about you, but I can't wait for Thursday!

stevegm
Jun 20, 2010, 08:30 PM
David - you are the person from Clemson that they wrote about, right? I don't know about other entrances, either. But, with so many different entrances, I would hate to see people at each one, and either they open them at different times (so some people get in and some do not), or, they open them all at the same time (seems unlikely, physically) and people from 4 or 5 entrances all trying to get to the Apple store to get in the line there. What a mess. That is why I am considering just skipping the morning and going around lunch.

What entrance do you plan to go to?

DavidPlatt
Jun 20, 2010, 08:38 PM
Steve,

Yes, I was the one they wrote about. If I didn't have to be back in Rock Hill in the afternoon, I would probably go later. It's so much easier to just walk in, tell them you have one reserved, and pick it up. With the limited supply issues though, if I didn't have a reservation I would try to be there as early as possible.

There are two entrances I'm considering, one being the aforementioned Tinderbox garage entrance, and the other being the elevator that's kind of in the corner of the garage that takes you into the mall. If the garage is closed when I get there though, I'll probably go to the Joseph Beth Bookstore entrance and try that.

Even though I'd love to be first in line and that would satisfy the man and Apple fan inside of me, I know the reservation line is going to fly compared to the walk-in line, so I'm not too worried about it.

I always love the Apple Store on launch day. The employees are all excited, the fans are excited, and they typically give out free water and (once) a popsicle or two. Also the food vendors have come and given out samples in the past. All-in-all, a great experience, but one that involves an early morning and crowds.

I'm looking forward to it, and you'll probably see me there in my Clemson orange shirt!

stevegm
Jun 20, 2010, 08:52 PM
David - I don't think there are any doors or gates or anything into the parking garage. Whether they let you stay may be another story, though. Before the iPad release I went to the Apple store and they said that the Tinder Box entrance opens first for employees and mall walkers. I also confirmed that with the security guard. However, that day I over slept and got there about 8 am. I was like 20th in the reservation line. I had my iPad within 30 minutes of them opening as I recall, though. It went pretty smooth. The reservation worked well, and that is why I think it should go well this time as well. If I go in the morning, I plan to get there about 6:30 am.

stevegm
Jun 21, 2010, 12:30 PM
I spoke with the Southpark mall management office today . The lady told me the following:

1) The mall will open at 6 am Thursday to let people in for the iPhone release.
2) The only doors that will open at that time will be by the Tinder Box in the parking garage.
3) No one will be permitted to "camp out," stay overnight, or line up earlier.

I then asked her what time we could line up, and she said - 6 am

Hope this helps.

arcanic
Jun 21, 2010, 05:03 PM
I spoke with the Southpark mall management office today . The lady told me the following:

1) The mall will open at 6 am Thursday to let people in for the iPhone release.
2) The only doors that will open at that time will be by the Tinder Box in the parking garage.
3) No one will be permitted to "camp out," stay overnight, or line up earlier.

I then asked her what time we could line up, and she said - 6 am

Hope this helps.

Excellent info, thanks! I'll be here around that time too. Although I have a reserve, I don't quite trust letting it sit all day.:D

itoddm
Jun 21, 2010, 05:53 PM
I know that no one knows for sure but I have a phone reserved. If I get there at 7am (or 30 minutes earlier), you think I could be out by 830?

I bought my first iphone the day after launch and had no issues. To be honest I didn't plan on getting it until I saw how seamlessly the email worked and then I was sold. (This was the first iphone released). When the 3g came out, I didn't get it until the day after Christmas in 2008. Basically I have missed all the day one excitement (or chaos depending on how you look at it) and I have been an Apple fan since my first Performa in 1995. I am soooo looking forward to getting my hands on this.

stevegm
Jun 22, 2010, 07:39 AM
No one knows. But, I would think it is possible. I believe that they will have us do the activation at home. That would save a lot of time. So, the line should go quickly, it would seem. But, you never know. To me it is a choice of either getting there early - like 6:00 or 6:30, or just go at lunch or later in the day. Leaning towards just going later.

vijay007
Jun 22, 2010, 10:40 AM
It will not be good, if the mall management allows us to line up before the entrance only at 6 AM. It could get chaotic as everyone tries to get into a line suddenly at 6 AM.

Has anyone lined up at the same mall previously for iPhone/iPad launch? What was the crowd 1-2 hours before the mall/store opened?

stevegm
Jun 22, 2010, 10:57 AM
Ya, I can see it now - they don't allow you to line up before 6 am, and a bunch of people are running from their car at 6. I am thinking of skipping the whole mess. Maybe I should have reserved mine elsewhere.

itoddm
Jun 22, 2010, 06:00 PM
I don't mind being part of the excitement and I want to get my iphone asap but the thoughts of even seeing people running puts me off. I'm thinking I may get there just late enough to avoid any kind of mad rush to the door.

Taldir
Jun 22, 2010, 06:27 PM
+1 on what a terrible idea it is to not let us line up.

Lines for events and holidays are so common now a days you think they would be up with the times.

Ah well. Here's for a mad dash at 6AM.

jorel22
Jun 22, 2010, 06:59 PM
So i just called the mac store in south park and they are saying that they have a waiting list that was only open for one day and they do not know how many phones they are getting and such. The mall will be open at 6 for us to line up if you don't get the phone then tough cookies i guess. really wish i had the money to buy the phone last tuesday when the pre orders weren't f'd up

stevegm
Jun 22, 2010, 10:48 PM
jorel22,

When you say "waiting list" for one day, do you mean the reservation system? I think it was only up on the 15th. It doesn't surprise me that the store doesn't know exactly how many phones they are getting. But, based on all indications and past launches, I think they will get enough to fill the reservations, and then some for walk-ins. Who knows how many walk-in units they will get, though. So, if you have a reservation, I think they are fine for getting one of the 24th.

In looking at some of the other postings on this forum it looks like some people are emailing and calling their malls (in other areas) to try to express to them that no line up and a rush at 6 am is not really a good idea. They really should come up with another idea.

pcguru83
Jun 22, 2010, 10:56 PM
Wrong thread. Ooops!

I thought we had a delete post option...

jorel22
Jun 23, 2010, 12:52 PM
Sooo ya I will prob be at south park by 614 if all the busses run on time i just hope i am not like number 10,000 out of 10,000 tomorrow am

Bn74956
Jun 23, 2010, 01:19 PM
I guess i'll be there at 6 with the rest of the lot. I was one of the unfortunate ones who had their order cancelled. Any idea/guesses about how many units will be available for walk-ins? 30/40/50/?

see everyone there

stevegm
Jun 23, 2010, 03:54 PM
With my reservation, I can't see getting there too early. I will see you all at about 6:30. I want to be rested to play with the phone tomorrow, anyhow. :-)

itoddm
Jun 23, 2010, 08:06 PM
I'm thinking of getting there around 6:30 also. That way I will miss any marathons going down the mall. If it looks chaotic or like it will take hours, I will just leave and come back after work. My sister has a baby due any time now and I told her she needs to hold off until after I have finished the labor pains of my iPhone 4.

MK12MOD1
Jun 23, 2010, 11:50 PM
When people start showing, would you mind posting, in order to keep us up to date on the line?

Diocia
Jun 24, 2010, 01:50 AM
I'm at the 24 hour Walgreens beside the mall now. I didn't know they were not letting people line up early and if you ask me, thats about the dumbest idea ever. I was told by mall security that we had to leave the property or they would call the police. They told us they wouldn't even be opening the doors until a little after 7...

Driving around a little we have seen lots of people sitting in cars in parking lots around the mall.

MK12MOD1
Jun 24, 2010, 02:12 AM
Walgreens it is. They called the police.

iluvrobot
Jun 24, 2010, 02:52 AM
Yeah, I kept parking at different places around the mall trying to not get hassled by security, but they always seemed to find me. Found the underground area where the Tinder Box is supposedly located, though. The directions on the front page were enough to get me there. I haven't spoken to the mall security personally yet, but heard one tell another guy to come back at 5:00. I guess I'll try again then.

This is pretty ridiculous. I'm at Walgreens now. Where else is everyone lining up?

Bn74956
Jun 24, 2010, 03:25 AM
Wow. This is going to be quite the cluster ******* at 6am/7am/7:03am. Well good luck to everyone!

vijay007
Jun 24, 2010, 05:05 AM
I m in the queue right now. It's just 6 AM, but there should be atleast 300-350 people in the line. It's crazy. Apple store folks just walked by the line. They said they have a lot of phones in stock :-)

Taldir
Jun 24, 2010, 06:07 AM
Got there at 5:30 and there was 100+ people in line.

Pretty pissed off. If you say you will not allow people to line up until 6 you should enforce it.

I would have camped out and enjoyed it. Now I'm at the office and have to waste my lunch to go back.

Not impressed South Park! Not at all.

brendan1
Jun 24, 2010, 06:59 AM
Updates? TIA~

drew0020
Jun 24, 2010, 07:05 AM
I have a reservation so I'll be there around 6pm tonight. Hopefully it will be less than 30 minutes. Good luck to everyone in line!

abhinkhanna
Jun 24, 2010, 07:24 AM
there were more than 200 people @ 7 am ET but looks like 1000s.
Q looked like never ending.

mullman
Jun 24, 2010, 07:30 AM
This pic was snapped at 5:20am, absolutely 100+ in line before the mall doors opened.

http://homepage.mac.com/mulls/iphone4launch.jpg

vijay007
Jun 24, 2010, 09:32 AM
I waited in line, picked up two iPhones and came back just now.

In all there should be 500-600 people who have turned up by 8:30 AM. I was in the reserved line and hence was able to get in by 7:45 AM. The store was not letting in walk ins until the time I left (They are giving priority to the people who reserved).

I did notice that the store has all reserved phones marked. There were around 200 iPhones behind the Genius bar desk. Not sure if it was reserved or non-reserved.

MK12MOD1
Jun 24, 2010, 10:35 AM
When the line formed at 5am. I was #25 overall. It is after 11:30 and there are still 7 in front of me in the "non reserved" line.

brendan1
Jun 24, 2010, 10:49 AM
How many in the reserved line would you guess?

stevegm
Jun 24, 2010, 10:54 AM
I got in and out quickly with my reservation. But, there, apparently were people hanging out in the parking garage since 5 pm yesterday. It was crazy this morning. I heard that there were about 1,000 people there this morning. But, the Apple store employee told me that she thought they had enough phones for everyone. I also heard they got 10 truck loads of phones in yesterday, I think.

Taldir
Jun 24, 2010, 11:06 AM
Line was 100+ for pre orders as of 11:30AM. I only had an hour lunch so there was no way I could wait.

Going back at 4:30..

I'll tweet the line status. Follow me @Taldir

littledumbguy
Jun 24, 2010, 12:21 PM
anyone with the current status for the reserved (pre-order) line? It's 1:20PM

LeftBehind156
Jun 24, 2010, 12:48 PM
yeah i got there around 5:50 am ready to scramble to the door at 6 only to find out that there was already a line of over 400 people.. i stood in line with my wife until i got flustered and set out to find an open door or employee entrance.. sure enough i found an open door in the food court and slipped into the reserve line around 6:35. i was about 7th in line.. since i secured a spot upstair in the line and no longer needed the one underneath in the garage i called my wife and she was able to get thru the same door as well. was out in less than 25 minutes

Taldir
Jun 24, 2010, 03:09 PM
Anyone been recently? I am leaving my office at 4:30. Hopefully the lines died down and I can just walk in walk out.

mullman
Jun 24, 2010, 03:35 PM
Anyone been recently? I am leaving my office at 4:30. Hopefully the lines died down and I can just walk in walk out.

Just heard there are at least 250+ peeps in the reserved line, but it is moving.

JasonReid
Jun 24, 2010, 05:18 PM
I just got back from the Apple store and after waiting in line for five hours I finally have a new iPhone. When I left around 5 the line was still very long.

Here is a video I took of the line
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8q5pjvFkZrg

itoddm
Jun 24, 2010, 07:30 PM
Hey JasonReid. Just watched your video and that is me in the first few seconds of it in the green shirt/khaki pants and with the phone in the yellow case!!!

I got at South Park at 6:10 am. I finally got my iphone at 12:15 pm. 6 hours in line. Luckily there were lots of friendly people all around me and we talked and had a pretty good time even though it was exhausting. Fun to be part of the experience.

pcguru83
Jun 24, 2010, 07:55 PM
What a painful, painful experience today was. Seems that the store didn't handle the Purchases line very well at all IMO. A whole HOUR went by before they even took the first walk-in. That's ridiculous.

My wife and I were in the first 100 people in line (probbaly closer to 80-85). We got there at about 4:45am and we pulled out of the parking lot at 4:15pm.

We're lucky it didn't take us any longer than it did though. Apparently they were treating the reservation line as the "priority" line, even though they knew they had the stock to cover all their reservations. Oddly, they seemed to be working off of some sort of 10 to 1 ratio where they'd process 10 reservations for every one walk-in. They must have realized that wasn't working out too well around 1-2pm because the line started moving at a pretty good pace, even though the reservations line was just as packed as it had been all day. When we finally got to the front, they actually took 3 of us in at one time.

And on top of that, the mall management at Southpark must have half a brain. Several of the Apple employees we talked to mentioned that they are constantly having issues with the mall management but they make due the best they can. They said they had to practically beg just to get the A/C turned on in the building an hour early! I spoke with the mall manager earlier in the week about the plans for the line, and the guy (Randy was his name) was just completely clueless IMO about just how hectic it was going to be. He got downright rude with me on the phone.

I really hate that mall. We don't go there much anyways, it's hard to get to, and the mall management has some serious issues. Apple needs to move their store uptown, or find/build a place outside a mall.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, we did get my wife an iPhone though! I got mine early yesterday, which made for quite a stir in the beginning. I had all kinds of people coming up wanting to take a look at it. My hand is currently on the front page of charlotteobserver.com too! :)

jameskk
Jun 24, 2010, 08:03 PM
What a painful, painful experience today was. Seems that the store didn't handle the Purchases line very well at all IMO. A whole HOUR went by before they even took the first walk-in. That's ridiculous.

My wife and I were in the first 100 people in line (probbaly closer to 80-85). We got there at about 4:45am and we pulled out of the parking lot at 4:15pm.

We're lucky it didn't take us any longer than it did though. Apparently they were treating the reservation line as the "priority" line, even though they knew they had the stock to cover all their reservations. Oddly, they seemed to be working off of some sort of 10 to 1 ratio where they'd process 10 reservations for every one walk-in. They must have realized that wasn't working out too well around 1-2pm because the line started moving at a pretty good pace, even though the reservations line was just as packed as it had been all day. When we finally got to the front, they actually took 3 of us in at one time.

And on top of that, the mall management at Southpark must have half a brain. Several of the Apple employees we talked to mentioned that they are constantly having issues with the mall management but they make due the best they can. They said they had to practically beg just to get the A/C turned on in the building an hour early! I spoke with the mall manager earlier in the week about the plans for the line, and the guy (Randy was his name) was just completely clueless IMO about just how hectic it was going to be. He got downright rude with me on the phone.

I really hate that mall. We don't go there much anyways, it's hard to get to, and the mall management has some serious issues. Apple needs to move their store uptown, or find/build a place outside a mall.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, we did get my wife an iPhone though! I got mine early yesterday, which made for quite a stir in the beginning. I had all kinds of people coming up wanting to take a look at it. My hand is currently on the front page of charlotteobserver.com too! :)

I went to Mall of Georgia instead of Charlotte (I live about halfway between the two). I am glad that I did now but had my doubts earlier this morning. It started off as a big cluster when about 2,000 people showed up before 7am. The security folks were very nice and bent over backwards to please everyone. Luckily they also had about 25 police on staff.

The Mall of Georgia Apple Store also started out taking all priority orders. I think it was like 30 min before they took the first regular customer. Several of us in the line started to complain BIG TIME. I mean, our line was four times larger than the reserve line and they were just ignoring us. Finally after about an hour they went from taking 30/1 to about 10/1 then finally 5/1. After that things were really moving. Glad I went there. Everyone from security to police to mall and Apple employees were extremely nice.

JayMysterio
Jun 25, 2010, 07:32 AM

That mall sucks @$$! I absolutely cringe everytime I have to go there, and it's only for the Apple store. That mall has absolutely nothing else of worth you couldn't get cheaper anywhere else. Southpark has bought into it's little air of exclusivity, and it treats it's customers that way. The store itself is little better, imo. Southpark has to be literally the most unfriendly shopping mall/area I have ever been to.

The really do need to add another store, possibly one in the Northlake area, as one in the uptown area would be a nightmare to get to during the week.

I've had a discussion or two with someone from Apple about my experiences at the Southpark store, gotten the obligatory apologies & whatnot, and everything stays the same. It still sucks going there. Bad enough now they have little in stock outside of macbooks, they have no IPads, no IPad accessories, no new Minis on display, and I found out the hard way no 16gb Nano's on hand. You'll hear customers on hand actively recommend Best Buy out of little choice. I myself leave Amazon.com webpage on an Imac.

Ah well, congratz on your hand making the cover of the Observer! :D

pcguru83
Jun 25, 2010, 07:52 AM
The really do need to add another store, possibly one in the Northlake area, as one in the uptown area would be a nightmare to get to during the week.

Yeah, Northlake actually would be a great choice. It's a nicer mall as well, but not nearly as pretentious as Soutpark. :) That really would be a good spot. It's close to much of Apple's target demographic (college age) too.

Ah well, congratz on your hand making the cover of the Observer! :D
Thanks! :p

LeftBehind156
Jun 25, 2010, 10:58 AM
why would they change. that store is always packed and there selling out of everything.. that would be the most stupid thing to do. oh were selling everything we have and our store is always packed but i think we should move our store to area where its closer to college students that most are in debt and have an annual income less than 30 thousand .. that makes perfect sense..:eek:

pcguru83
Jun 25, 2010, 11:08 AM
why would they change. that store is always packed and there selling out of everything.. that would be the most stupid thing to do. oh were selling everything we have and our store is always packed but i think we should move our store to area where its closer to college students that most are in debt and have an annual income less than 30 thousand .. that makes perfect sense..:eek:
I promise you that the location of that Apple Store has very little to do with why it's always packed. It accounts for some, sure. But every Apple store I've ever been in has been like that.

And you missed the point about my college student comment. Northlake is close to college students, yes. That's a great side effect. But more importantly (and the main reason it would be a viable alternative) it is also very close to a very affluent area. Not to mention Northlake is much more easily accessible than Southpark.

JayMysterio
Jun 25, 2010, 11:44 AM
Myself, I think if your store is always packed to the constant overflow, it maybe a sign you can justify opening another store. Say a store in the opposite direction of your current store, as to not cannibalize sales. There is obvious demand in the area for Apple products, why not meet it? I think that would make sense. I do understand the choice of the Southpark, as it was the original high end mall, and Apple would want to be seen there.

I also think after all that image can be a liability. Apple has made big strides in going from the stuff of elitist, artsy, stuck up types, to a brand everyone can use. Apple wants their stores to be places that Apple fans get excited to go to, the Southpark location does quite a bit to temper that excitement. Why not offer an alternative?

I said they need to add another store, and I stick to that. It wouldn't make sense to close the Southpark store, it would just move that store's problems to another location. Northlake, especially in one of the outside locations where they could get dedicated parking by Panera Bread would fit their image perfectly.

vijay007
Jun 25, 2010, 11:51 AM
Myself, I think if your store is always packed to the constant overflow, it maybe a sign you can justify opening another store. Say a store in the opposite direction of your current store, as to not cannibalize sales. There is obvious demand in the area for Apple products, why not meet it? I think that would make sense. I do understand the choice of the Southpark, as it was the original high end mall, and Apple would want to be seen there.

I also think after all that image can be a liability. Apple has made big strides in going from the stuff of elitist, artsy, stuck up types, to a brand everyone can use. Apple wants their stores to be places that Apple fans get excited to go to, the Southpark location does quite a bit to temper that excitement. Why not offer an alternative?

I said they need to add another store, and I stick to that. It wouldn't make sense to close the Southpark store, it would just move that store's problems to another location. Northlake, especially in one of the outside locations where they could get dedicated parking by Panera Bread would fit their image perfectly.

The Southpark store is indeed always packed on any weekend. I echo your thoughts - If apple were to open up another store, the Northlake mall area would be perfect (the store would be right by an exit on 77).

Btw, does anyone know if there is any line/crowd today at the Apple store? Yesterday was crazy :)

JayMysterio
Jun 25, 2010, 12:07 PM
I hope the lines have calmed down, I actually have to go to Southpark to pick up my IPod Nano that they didn't have in stock earlier this week. Really not in the mood to fight a crowd just to pick up something. Bad enough it already takes 10 - 20 minutes to get waited on. Part of the reason why I decided to pass on the new IPhone until a little later, I just want to walk in, get one, and walk out all within the same hour. :)

Correction: I won't be finding out. Seems it takes longer for an Apple Store to get an Ipod, than it was for me to get my defective one from China. My Ipod was ordered Tues, but seems the launch yesterday somehow messed that up. ??? Hopefully for anyone going today it won't be insane, but I'd recommend avoiding the store this weekend!

chromesons
Aug 8, 2010, 02:12 AM
Shopping Bizarre!