PDA

View Full Version : Westfield Century City, CA

RealSkyDiver
Jun 18, 2010, 03:01 PM
I'm probably gonna be there between midnight and 4am. Anybody know how many there where around the same time in previous years?
Can you just go and wait by the store at any time?
Is there 24h parking and do they validate at the apple store, since many probably wait over 6 hours and only the first 3 are free.

JmeltzFX
Jun 18, 2010, 06:44 PM
Hello RealSkyDiver,
Looking into waiting at this Apple Store location. I waiting in line last year for the 3GS at a Culver City AT&T store, but they say the demand is about 10x what last year's was. That being said, I plan on arriving around the same time (12 - 2 AM Time span). Not looking forward to it, but it'll be worth it right!?

P.S. - You bring up a great point regarding long term parking. I don't yet know what I'm going to do about that :(

P.P.S. - Do you know what time this particular location opens? Do all Apple Stores open at the same time?

RidleyGriff
Jun 18, 2010, 07:30 PM
P.P.S. - Do you know what time this particular location opens? Do all Apple Stores open at the same time?

All stores are said to be opening at 7am.

stagemanagerav
Jun 18, 2010, 07:30 PM
Hello RealSkyDiver,
Looking into waiting at this Apple Store location. I waiting in line last year for the 3GS at a Culver City AT&T store, but they say the demand is about 10x what last year's was. That being said, I plan on arriving around the same time (12 - 2 AM Time span). Not looking forward to it, but it'll be worth it right!?

P.S. - You bring up a great point regarding long term parking. I don't yet know what I'm going to do about that :(

How bad was the line at that AT&T store? I'm going to be waiting there this year and was thinking about getting there at 4:00am, but is that not early enough?

RealSkyDiver
Jun 18, 2010, 08:52 PM
10 times more demand doesn't mean 10 times more people. I don't think it'll be that crazy. Hope that the stores on Santa Monica and Grove will pick up the majority of the crowds.

RealSkyDiver
Jun 19, 2010, 05:33 PM
nobody else going??

havenhamilton
Jun 19, 2010, 09:06 PM
from what i've heard century city, 3rd st and the grove are mad houses on launch days. i'd get there very very early if i were you.

RealSkyDiver
Jun 20, 2010, 08:06 PM
what about Beverly Center in comparison?
From what I gathered its:
1. The Grove
2. Santa Monica
3. Beverly Center
4. Century City
in terms of people

MPHL
Jun 22, 2010, 12:47 AM
I'll be there. do you guys not have one reserved? Sucks...

RealSkyDiver
Jun 22, 2010, 01:10 AM
I'm getting on from my ATT store. They have 80 for walk-ins while pre-orders are all being shipped to the people meaning that only people without reservation can stand in line. I'm probably gona stop by later that morning at Westfield and film the line with my iPhone4:D

heatherlovesmac
Jun 22, 2010, 01:11 AM
All sounds like a mess. Also yes, there is zero parking around that mall if they won't let you in.

I did an AT&T store for my 3G.. I went to a crummy neighborhood and there was a very short line haha. Will AT&T even have them on launch day, or Radioshack... or only the pre-orders? I'm quite confused about all this. Because there would be far less people at outlets other than the Apple store.

I would think it would be easier to get one this year, because so many people pre-ordered, and they are delivering to their homes. Like with the 3G there were no online orders.

RealSkyDiver
Jun 22, 2010, 01:19 AM
you can get your parking validated when you go to the concierge service and show that you spend over $250. It's open after 11am. Security told me that there is 24h parking while the email I got from Westfield told me that its only after 5am. Think I would trust the security more with that. You can call them up yourself with 551-0212 (I didn't had to enter an area code).

heatherlovesmac
Jun 22, 2010, 01:26 AM
But you think you can go to an AT&T store and get one on launch day? (w/o a pre-order?)

RealSkyDiver
Jun 22, 2010, 01:28 AM

havenhamilton
Jun 22, 2010, 11:37 AM
But you think you can go to an AT&T store and get one on launch day? (w/o a pre-order?)

doubtful, they don't that many.

stagemanagerav
Jun 22, 2010, 06:10 PM

There's an answer to this and sadly it looks like a no: http://www.macrumors.com/2010/06/22/no-walk-in-iphone-4-sales-at-atandt-retail-stores-until-june-29th/

Looks like they won't be doing walk in sales until the 29th. Sad day, now it looks like I'm waiting outside the Apple Store.

heatherlovesmac
Jun 22, 2010, 08:24 PM
Hmm! I still haven't decided if I want to wait or not.

RealSkyDiver
Jun 22, 2010, 08:37 PM
Wondering who will get there by midnight to give us an update.

philip in al
Jun 23, 2010, 12:28 PM
Just spoke to Apple (Century City). Here is what I was told. If you have a reservation, your line will be separate from the "walk in line". You still need to pick it up by close tomorrow. Whatever you ordered WILL BE held there in your name (she confirmed my order by name, product and email address used). Doors open at 7am. That's it.

My guess is that they have two allotments, one aside for reserved customers and one pile aside for walk ins. Once walk in pile is gone, they won't accept anymore walk ins.

This means that if you pre-ordered, you should be able to easily show up AFTER they sell out of walk ins and therefore you shouldn't have to wait as long.

RealSkyDiver
Jun 23, 2010, 02:14 PM
If you dont have a reservation keep in mind that they won't let you in till 10am and even then it's not 100% guaranteed.

JmeltzFX
Jun 23, 2010, 02:45 PM
Hey RealSkyDiver,
Did you decide on whether you'll be braving the lines at Century City or not? Let me know, I'm still trying to find people to go with. If so, I'll PM you my contact info. Hope to see some MacRumors forum posters there! Good luck to everyone attempting to wait in line.

RealSkyDiver
Jun 23, 2010, 08:22 PM
Curious if theres already a line there...tried to take a nap but theres too much adrenalin in me

stagemanagerav
Jun 23, 2010, 08:56 PM
When are all of you getting there? I was thinking about trying to get there around 3:00am, but I wasn't sure if that was either too early or late. Thoughts?

JmeltzFX
Jun 23, 2010, 09:39 PM
Hey whats up, I'm thinking about heading there at midnight since I dont have it reserved and hope that there wont be many people at that time.

Hey Everyone,
So I decided to go to Century City earlier today to get the official low down from everyone in person. Here's what I uncovered:

1) Mall security / mall concierge informed me that the Santa Monica entrance is indeed open 24 hrs a day.

2) Overnight parking runs about 20 bucks. However, validation from the concierge booth (they open at 10 AM) will be comped, provided you show them a receipt proving you spent $250.00 or more.

3) Apple reps were not terribly helpful. They mostly told me what we already know. They have no idea how much stock they'll be receiving aside from pre-orders of course.

Based on interest / phone calls they've been receiving, the earliest time that potential customers are lining up is 4 AM. This is all hear-say so take this with a grain of salt. Overall, the general consensus seems less panicky and rushed than I would have thought.

I'm going to be cautiously optimistic and I plan on arriving around 3 - 3:30. PM Me if you'd like to meet up / chat during the oh-so-fun overnight wait.

RealSkyDiver
Jun 23, 2010, 10:26 PM
I just talked to the mall security and they are starting the line now at 1801 Placa by gamestop (the east walk-in entrance to the mall, look HERE (http://westfield.com/centurycity/find/detail/store?category=20&retailer=17685)). I'm heading there in 1 hour and post updates every now and then but I can't write much since I'm on a N95 which isn't very suited for long sentences.

philip in al
Jun 23, 2010, 10:39 PM
That sucks! I guess there will be a mad rush from there to the store at some point. Will they not let you line up near the store itself? Are they separating the line into reservation vs walk INS? Can you update us as to how many people are there already? Thanks

I just talked to the mall security and they are starting the line now at 1801 Placa by gamestop (the east walk-in entrance to the mall, look HERE (http://westfield.com/centurycity/find/detail/store?category=20&retailer=17685)). I'm heading there in 1 hour and post updates every now and then but I can't write much since I'm on a N95 which isn't very suited for long sentences.

RealSkyDiver
Jun 23, 2010, 10:42 PM
you just have to wait outside the mall, thats no big deal and there wont be a rush when they shift the lines in the morning. Everyone will keep their spot to keep it fair.

philip in al
Jun 23, 2010, 11:08 PM
So how many people are already there (please)?

heatherlovesmac
Jun 23, 2010, 11:28 PM
where did you read you can't get it till 10 am if you don't have a reservation?

If that's the case I'm out!

RealSkyDiver
Jun 23, 2010, 11:28 PM
Me and the ppl behind me r within the first 20. All walk-ins, nobody in the reserved line.
They told me at apple bout 10am

philip in al
Jun 23, 2010, 11:45 PM
Thank you so much. I'm a reserve. Would you mind me checking in periodically on the reserve line? If texting is better for you, email me your number and I'll text you instead of you posting here. Or you can just text me periodic updates and I wont bother you. If your on a Bb I can bum you. Please let me know either way. I really appreciate it! Wsna@Bellsouth.net. Philip

RealSkyDiver
Jun 24, 2010, 12:01 AM
I can just post it in here. So far its still empty.
Oh and we can use the mall bathroom all night :-)

philip in al
Jun 24, 2010, 12:07 AM
Thanks again. I'll keep watching. I owe you. Maybe you'll need something from the store before I come up there, or something. I'll check with you before I finally leave.

jtbecke
Jun 24, 2010, 12:09 AM
obviously, updates on the walk-ins line will be much appreciated too.
thanks, in advance.
have fun out there.

Man on the moon
Jun 24, 2010, 12:31 AM
How many people are already there???

RealSkyDiver
Jun 24, 2010, 12:49 AM
There r like 20 walk-ins. Not sure bout the reserved line. Ppl keep walking around but the atmosphere among us is pretty good

jtbecke
Jun 24, 2010, 01:06 AM
There r like 20 walk-ins. Not sure bout the reserved line. Ppl keep walking around but the atmosphere among us is pretty good

thanks man, please keep up the good work

drizzotto
Jun 24, 2010, 01:08 AM
I was one of those people walking around. :) ...did a recon mission.

interesting to see how it looks around midnight/1am when the lines die down.

My concern is that there is no guarantee there will be any stock for walk-ins. Each store gets a set number of phones, from which all pre-orders are held first. So whatever is left is for us waiters. could be 0, could be 50. could be more.

Glad it's fun though. Wish this hadn't been such a cluster F. would have been cool to get up early and come get it just for the heck of it; too bad :apple:. Maybe if I didn't have to work i'd be more willing to take the chance.

Will check in again later. Thanks for the updates.

philip in al
Jun 24, 2010, 01:09 AM
Are you saying that there ARE actually some in the reserve line?

philip in al
Jun 24, 2010, 01:12 AM
Drizzotto
Apple gave me the impression that they had two sets; one to fill all reserves from and one for walk INS. In other words, they have all reserves PLUS phones for walk INS.

RealSkyDiver
Jun 24, 2010, 01:17 AM
Actually theres nobody in the reserved one. We just ordered pizza while others started to play frisbee. The advantage of having a huge plaza to ourself. There r like 30-40 walk ins now

philip in al
Jun 24, 2010, 01:19 AM
Cool. I'll keep checking though out the night and then see if you need anything before I head over there.
Thanks again

drizzotto
Jun 24, 2010, 01:25 AM
Drizzotto
Apple gave me the impression that they had two sets; one to fill all reserves from and one for walk INS. In other words, they have all reserves PLUS phones for walk INS.

It's hard to say. I'm sure every store will have at least some extras. my friends (yes, I'm polling the social space) are guessing anywhere from 40-200. Another said probably 100.

There are lot of variables. Going by memory, someone said there were supposed to be 1.2MM units avail on launch. 600K were set aside by preorder (including both direct mail and reservation). that leaves a lot of phones. there are 225ish stores in the US (I think all these numbers are Domestic only. if not i am totally spouting garbage). so that's a crap load of units left over.

BUT, there are whispers (see main page) that apple hasn't hit it's projected inventory. The fact that best buys and radioshacks and Walmarts are all getting just a handful of phones could either mean that a) they are totally understocked or b) they are diverting large quantities of stock to Apple Stores (hopefully!) or c) all these numbers are high and there are far less walk-in ready phones around than I am painting a picture of.

Forgive the narrative. I would be curious to see if anyone else has heard similar situations.

Factually, all I know is that we called Cent City store and they said they have no idea how many extra they have. It's a pretty central store so you'd think they'd get a big shipment.

How's the line now?

jtbecke
Jun 24, 2010, 01:28 AM
is it possible for anyone to post pictures of the line out there?

RealSkyDiver
Jun 24, 2010, 02:15 AM
Walk-ins round 50
Reserved 2
According to an apple employer here theres gona b round 100 for walk-ins

jtbecke
Jun 24, 2010, 02:23 AM
Walk-ins round 50
Reserved 2
According to an apple employer here theres gona b round 100 for walk-ins

thanks again. so are there apple employees there now?
those reservers probably think they're so cool.

RealSkyDiver
Jun 24, 2010, 02:27 AM
No just security now, we had to shift the whole lines because the stupid sprinklers gave us unwanted showers

havenhamilton
Jun 24, 2010, 02:33 AM
how many people in line for reserved?

philip in al
Jun 24, 2010, 02:42 AM
Thanks for the update.

RealSkyDiver
Jun 24, 2010, 02:53 AM
Walk-ins 58
Reserved 5
We sneaked up to the apple store where they remodel everything and confirmed again that there are gona be phones for walk-ins

jtbecke
Jun 24, 2010, 02:53 AM
that sucks about the sprinklers. the updates are awesome, wish i could be there to see for myself

RealSkyDiver
Jun 24, 2010, 03:12 AM
Im glad I picked this spot, the ppl r awesome, not crowded and we can just walk into the mall whenever we want

drizzotto
Jun 24, 2010, 03:15 AM
Walk-ins 58
Reserved 5
We sneaked up to the apple store where they remodel everything and confirmed again that there are gona be phones for walk-ins

RealSkyDiver is a champ!

I am still waffling on the fence here. If i were to totally impose a request and see if we could get a status update in another 60-90 minutes, that's about when i would head out. specifically, approx body count and, if possible, find an employee and say "there are XX+10 people in line, will we all get a phone?" or if s/he just wants to tell you how many they have that'd be cool too, but i figure using subtle investigatory techniques might coerce more information!

In any case, thanks for the updates and it's been fun playing along at home :D

tomccabe
Jun 24, 2010, 03:38 AM
For anyone that's curious there's still under 25 people at the Beverly Center. It doesn't sound like the atmosphere is as good as CC but I am 99% sure I'm getting a phone.

RealSkyDiver
Jun 24, 2010, 04:07 AM
Walk-ins around 70
Reservation the same

JmeltzFX
Jun 24, 2010, 04:11 AM
Hey Guys,
Awesome reading everyone's comments / updates on the situation. For anyone at CC, hit me up, I'm #47. Macrumors unite!

stagemanagerav
Jun 24, 2010, 05:01 AM
I just got here. The reserved line is siting at like 8.

philip in al
Jun 24, 2010, 05:10 AM
Thanks guys. On my way RealSky. U need anything?

RealSkyDiver
Jun 24, 2010, 05:14 AM
No thanks, the pizza was enough :-)
Walk-ins 80

Man on the moon
Jun 24, 2010, 05:55 AM
100? Where is this number from?

RealSkyDiver
Jun 24, 2010, 06:12 AM
Theres a sign-in sheet for walk-in but by now its probably 100

JmeltzFX
Jun 24, 2010, 06:14 AM
That offer still available Philip? Cause some pizza sounds amazing right about now.

RealSkyDiver
Jun 24, 2010, 08:24 AM
We r within the first 12 and they guaranteed us phones since their stock is seperated but we still gotta wait till 10. Duno how much they have total for walk-ins too.

jeffereyj
Jun 24, 2010, 09:15 AM
The line for reserves goes all the way from the last mall store by Gamestop, across the courtyard and over the entire skybridge to where they have the farmers market on Thursdays. :(

The line for walkins is about half as long.

RealSkyDiver
Jun 24, 2010, 09:24 AM
At 10 they will let both lines in meaning reservation will take even longer

RealSkyDiver
Jun 24, 2010, 09:59 AM
Yes I got my golden ticket :-) !!!

philip in al
Jun 24, 2010, 11:18 AM
Yes I got my golden ticket :-) !!!

Just want to wish you good luck and tell you thanks again for the updates. The whole purchase process was very easy, unless you need the Att guy. That slows things way down. That slows things way down.

Once in the door, they assign an employee to you alone. He/ she will stick with you though the purchase process and activation. Best case, in and out within 5-7 minutes.

Activation is fastest I've ever seen. Hook to mac, unhook and 60sec later; it's activated

Thanks again

mottdog
Jun 24, 2010, 12:16 PM
How is the reserved line now?
Thanks.

bigspooon
Jun 24, 2010, 12:48 PM
I'm planning to head over after work (530pm). I'm a preorder. Anybody else doing the same thing?

I'm hoping the preorder line won't be as bad then...

RealSkyDiver
Jun 24, 2010, 04:50 PM
The pre-order line died considerably after I left so you should be fine! Let us know if they still let walk-ins inside. I'm just curious and so are probably a bunch of others. Now I gotta learn how to use an iPhone since this is my first one and good luck to everyone who's still planning to go there by today:o

KK22
Jun 24, 2010, 05:13 PM
Skydiver - What was the walk-in line like when you left and do you have any idea if peeps are buying more 32g or 16g??

bigspooon
Jun 24, 2010, 05:39 PM
I'll give an update when I get there.

Should be around 6-615pm.

sslanchi
Jun 24, 2010, 07:23 PM
how is the line now? particularly for walk ins?

RealSkyDiver
Jun 24, 2010, 08:44 PM
more people where going for the 16GB and the black bumper looks seksi