PDA

View Full Version : Apple Store in NYC on Fifth (5th) Avenue on launch day

Dbph
Jun 16, 2010, 12:54 PM
I'll be there. Can't wait to pick up my new iPhone.
Anyone else excited to be at this location?

auero
Jun 16, 2010, 12:54 PM
I'll be there. Can't wait to pick up my new iPhone.
Anyone else excited to be at this location?

I'm actually excited not to be at that location. It's going to be packed!

Dbph
Jun 16, 2010, 12:55 PM
To each their own.
:-)

ahfu25
Jun 16, 2010, 12:59 PM
I reserved it there. I'll be there at 5am sharp

macintouch
Jun 16, 2010, 07:42 PM
I'll be there! About 6pm! Very excited. :D

sd13
Jun 18, 2010, 03:09 PM
This store is open 24/7. What time will the lines start for non-prereserves? Does the phone start going on sale at 12am or 7am like the other stores. What time do i have to get there if i dont want to wait too many hours on line?

fuzion
Jun 18, 2010, 03:10 PM
This store is open 24/7. What time will the lines start for non-prereserves? Does the phone start going on sale at 12am or 7am like the other stores. What time do i have to get there if i dont want to wait too many hours on line?

Not to be rude but you should probably ask someone that works at the NYC 5th Ave. store..

RealSkyDiver
Jun 18, 2010, 03:56 PM
pretty sure they sell them at 7am. They never do midnight events.

TheBritishBloke
Jun 18, 2010, 05:44 PM
A little bit of research goes a long way...

http://www.apple.com/retail/fifthavenue/

Read where it says that for iPhone 4, they'll start selling at 7am.

rhaleluk
Jun 18, 2010, 06:33 PM
I'm planning to go about an hour before they open.. Anyone else gonna keep me company?

MGP098
Jun 18, 2010, 07:34 PM
hey guys this is going to be my first iphone im so excited. im off at work at 6pm on wednesday so i was planning to be there around 630ish. is that a plan or no? :confused:

Robert1014
Jun 18, 2010, 09:58 PM
I'm planning to go about an hour before they open.. Anyone else gonna keep me company?

You'll probably have plenty of company...from the hundred or three people that'll be in line ahead of you!

MARTIN1406
Jun 18, 2010, 10:09 PM
I actually was able to place a preorder for the phone and I went to the store to find out exactly how things would work.
They told me that there would be 2 lines-one for preorders and one for the rest.
Even though I have a preorder I am going to get there early because I am sure there will be people camped out days before the phone goes on sale

Deimo
Jun 18, 2010, 10:21 PM
I'm one of the many who got locked out of the prerelease phones and plan on getting to the cube around 5am for my 4th iPhone

passant
Jun 19, 2010, 05:56 AM

I'll be there about 6 am, pre order all good.
They are really organized at this store, and it's a party atmosphere.
How could it not be -- being the worldwide flagship store.

LoneDeranger
Jun 19, 2010, 08:34 AM
If you picked the 5th Ave store, you made a great choice. I have two Apple stores closer to me, but still go to 5th ave for these events.

I have one on reserve (got lucky somehow, the apple site just started working after a few tries, at around 6:30 am on Tuesday).

I still plan to get there somewhere around 4-4:30 am. 6am is when a lot of people wake up normally and I'm sure the line will be huge by then. At 4am I think it should only have the overnight campers. I am concerned, however, about some people going there very early in the hopes of making it into work afterwards.

aebrett
Jun 19, 2010, 12:04 PM
I'm planning on going either to the 5th Avenue or UWS store early on Thursday morning to get in line for an iPhone 4 (I don't have one reserved). Does anyone have experience of lining up for an iPhone on launch day, to give me an idea of how early I have to get there to give myself a good chance of getting one?

Thanks.

rhaleluk
Jun 19, 2010, 03:53 PM
Sounds good, I can't wait! I'll probably go sometime around 4-5am to get in line with the people camping.

Those of us who have a device on reserve should hopefully get in and out pretty quickly.

:apple: = :cool:

RalfTheDog
Jun 19, 2010, 11:42 PM
I should be in NYC on launch day. If anyone spots me, say hi. I will be the guy who thinks he is a talking dog. I did not get a chance to preorder. I hope I don't stand in line for hours then go home empty handed.

passant
Jun 20, 2010, 05:34 AM
Wow 4 am?
A real fan.
I am one express stop away so still might go for 530 or 6
Hope its a sunny day!
LOL

If you picked the 5th Ave store, you made a great choice. I have two Apple stores closer to me, but still go to 5th ave for these events.

I have one on reserve (got lucky somehow, the apple site just started working after a few tries, at around 6:30 am on Tuesday).

I still plan to get there somewhere around 4-4:30 am. 6am is when a lot of people wake up normally and I'm sure the line will be huge by then. At 4am I think it should only have the overnight campers. I am concerned, however, about some people going there very early in the hopes of making it into work afterwards.

fidelisimo
Jun 20, 2010, 01:34 PM
Sounds good, I can't wait! I'll probably go sometime around 4-5am to get in line with the people camping.

Those of us who have a device on reserve should hopefully get in and out pretty quickly.

:apple: = :cool:

Yes, I plan to get there around 4am. I have a reservation and am praying to the iphone gods that the line for reserves won't be as long as the line for non-reserves. I'm hoping that the activation process will be painless and quick after the doors open at 7am so I won't have to spend my entire morning/afternoon there.

youssefm
Jun 20, 2010, 08:04 PM
I'm trying to avoid that store at all costs, it is just TOO crowded. Especially with the insane amount of tourists who go there. I'm just gonna go to AT&T, except I'd prefer the more upbeat, party atmosphere haha

macintouch
Jun 20, 2010, 08:17 PM
Does anyone want to speculate/estimate how many people will be there later in the day? I'm planning on meeting up with my friend and then going to the cube at about 5:30-6:00pm. Hoping there is a moderate or small line at best. (can't expect no line at all!)

Dbph
Jun 20, 2010, 10:06 PM
I spoke with a rep at the 5th ave store today...
They let me know that the latest they can do ATT activations on launch day will be 10pm.
Has anyone else heard this kind of information? I was very surprised that this might be the case. :confused:

LoneDeranger
Jun 20, 2010, 10:54 PM
I spoke with a rep at the 5th ave store today...
They let me know that the latest they can do ATT activations on launch day will be 10pm.
Has anyone else heard this kind of information? I was very surprised that this might be the case. :confused:

I think that makes sense, given that the email says "Please note that your reservation will be held until close of business on June 24." I think if you wait in line and just don't make it in time, they will give you some sort of pass to pick it up the next day (not sure about this).

I think not going in the morning is a bad idea. This store will attract a lot of tourists and I think the line will be huge when the after-work crowd arrives.

Does anyone know if there is a webcam pointed at this area so that the line could be monitored the night before?

macintouch
Jun 20, 2010, 11:00 PM
I think that makes sense, given that the email says "Please note that your reservation will be held until close of business on June 24." I think if you wait in line and just don't make it in time, they will give you some sort of pass to pick it up the next day (not sure about this).

I think not going in the morning is a bad idea. This store will attract a lot of tourists and I think the line will be huge when the after-work crowd arrives.

Does anyone know if there is a webcam pointed at this area so that the line could be monitored the night before?

****. This makes total sense too. I guess wishing the line would die down earlier was just that - wishful thinking. The soonest I'll get there is 5:30, and that's if I leave my class (which gets out at 5) immediately and walk to the subway.

Oh well. I'm hoping I get my phone, but I personally won't be too bothered if I don't. Crap happens. This will be a big show for sure, though.

Deimo
Jun 21, 2010, 11:38 PM
Does anyone have experience of lining up for an iPhone on launch day, to give me an idea of how early I have to get there to give myself a good chance of getting one?

On the launch day for the original iPhone the crowds didn't start to really pick up until around 7am. I expect this one to be different since the phone goes on sale at that time instead of 11 hours later.

DaftDrunk
Jun 21, 2010, 11:41 PM
I think if you wait in line and just don't make it in time, they will give you some sort of pass to pick it up the next day (not sure about this).

Yeah you're right. Those that couldn't get their phones will get a card that'll let them skip to the front of the line the following day.

Hummer
Jun 22, 2010, 12:03 AM
Never mind! I found someone. Can mods delete this.

macuserfan22
Jun 23, 2010, 06:24 AM
anyone in line here now?

born4sky
Jun 23, 2010, 09:16 AM
Should I try my luck on launch day? at Apple store 5th ave, they seems to have largest stock. Don't want to wait till July 15th, even though I preorder it, but I can always cancel it.

silzazsyh
Jun 23, 2010, 11:20 AM
I'm there right now...second, third, and fourth spots in line. We're willing to sell them for the right price. Email linkinpark7575@gmail.com if you're interested. Definitely guaranteed one of the first.

MT0227
Jun 23, 2010, 11:47 AM
Well...my first bus tomorrow gets me in at 5:30am....this seems to be a little too close to 7am. So....I may just shoot into the city on my last bus tonight which is at midnight and get there at 1am with my beach chair and just hang. See you all later.

macintouch
Jun 23, 2010, 11:53 AM
Visited with a buddy last night. There was about 10 people in line. Gotta give you guys credit...die hard fans! Apparently there is more yet, today, as of noon.

Hope to get my phone tomorrow after class! :D

born4sky
Jun 23, 2010, 03:21 PM
5th Ave will have biggest stock and biggest crowd. Good Luck To everyone!!!

Burrholes
Jun 23, 2010, 04:56 PM
Is anyone in line yet? i was thinking about getting there at 3:30am.
If the line is already long i might go earlier.

:apple:

fansie
Jun 23, 2010, 04:58 PM
Is anyone in line yet? i was thinking about getting there at 3:30am.
If the line is already long i might go earlier.

:apple:

my wife checked it out on the way to work this AM and there were about 10-20 people standing there (can't tell who was in line as people always mill about near the store)

Burrholes
Jun 23, 2010, 05:08 PM
my wife checked it out on the way to work this AM and there were about 10-20 people standing there (can't tell who was in line as people always mill about near the store)

Thanks Fansie!

Time for a nap.

LoneDeranger
Jun 23, 2010, 06:09 PM
Can someone who is in line please post a picture of the current situation?

Do they already have separate reserve and non-reserve lines?

ChocolateApple
Jun 23, 2010, 09:50 PM
Conan at the 5th Ave store!!

http://www.tuaw.com/photos/iphone-waiting-game-2/#3112021

http://mashable.com/2010/06/22/greg-packer-iphone-4/

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-20008514-37.html

I was thinking of taking my camera and going to see it, but I'm going to stay on Mac Rumors and sleep instead.

ChocolateApple
Jun 23, 2010, 10:06 PM
Guy selling spots

http://www.tuaw.com/photos/iphone-waiting-game-2/full/#3112012

He didn't spell iPhone properly, but okay.

pwb2103
Jun 23, 2010, 11:32 PM
Got in line here about 12:15. Just passed the fao Schwartz door getting closer to Madison. This line is going to be looooooong. Either that or everyone is just dumb enoung to line up at midnight and no one else will get behind me until 5 am. Hope not though.

iradeon
Jun 24, 2010, 12:40 AM
Is there a separate line for reservations? If so, how long is it now?

pwb2103
Jun 24, 2010, 12:45 AM
Yes. Separate line for reservations. I don't know how long it is but it is 'up on the plaza' so I think it is considerably shorter. Definitely sucks now to be back here with no reservation.

MT0227
Jun 24, 2010, 12:52 AM
We have about a hundo on line already.

http://s281.photobucket.com/albums/kk237/MT022766/photo-1.jpg

soco
Jun 24, 2010, 01:06 AM
Any idea if you can pay in cash?

pwb2103
Jun 24, 2010, 01:34 AM
MTO is that shot of the line for people with reservations? Man I hope they don't plan to drain all of that first before starting the line for people without reservations.

MT0227
Jun 24, 2010, 01:39 AM
It is the line for reservations only.

EDIT: Just spoke to one of the Apple dudes, he said historically they take a large chunk of the reservations and a small chunk of the non and so on. He couldn't confirm that they will do it this tine.

Pjstock42
Jun 24, 2010, 02:06 AM
are the people with reservations camping out just to get theirs sooner or maybe get to work?

I have a reservation at the 5th ave store. If i show up at 6/7 im expecting to have to wait, but will i still get my phone?

pwb2103
Jun 24, 2010, 02:28 AM
I've heard the non reserve line is all the way circling the block? Wow. The few people i talked to that have reservations and are in line already definitely were only here so early so they could get to work.

puck5iouz
Jun 24, 2010, 02:40 AM
Since the 5th Ave store is 24 hours...can any of you do me the favor and ask an apple employee if you can pay part of the phone with a apple gift card...i know it's strickly credit/debit card and I have that locked down, but I also have credit on a gift card (since apple doesn't give refunds) on a gift card of about $60. Anyone can be so kind into asking please.

MT0227
Jun 24, 2010, 02:48 AM
You definately can pay by gift card, I asked already. Just no $$$$

puck5iouz
Jun 24, 2010, 03:23 AM
You definately can pay by gift card, I asked already. Just no $$$$

THANK YOU!!!!
:)

Pjstock42
Jun 24, 2010, 03:30 AM
when i get there, is the reservation line clearly marked?

just want to make sure i dont start waiting in the wrong place

thanks

LoneDeranger
Jun 24, 2010, 03:38 AM
The pre order line is not clearly marked, it's hidden in the middle of the plaza; ask the apple store staff.

Currently about 100-150 ppl in pre order line.

pwb2103
Jun 24, 2010, 03:46 AM
No reservation line isn't as long as I expected. Not that far onto 59th st. I would guess maybe 400 people? I just counted my self as about #150 at the fao Schwartz sign.

Burrholes
Jun 24, 2010, 03:46 AM
The pre order line is not clearly marked, it's hidden in the middle of the plaza; ask the apple store staff.

Currently about 100-150 ppl in pre order line.

And 300+ at 5am in the other. :eek:

LoneDeranger
Jun 24, 2010, 03:59 AM
Maybe 200 in pre-order now. News trucks taping now on the south corner.

LoneDeranger
Jun 24, 2010, 04:10 AM
Pre-order line just got compressed

Deimo
Jun 24, 2010, 04:10 AM
Just got to the line... All the way around the block now almost completely wrapping back to the store!

LoneDeranger
Jun 24, 2010, 04:22 AM
Love the VIP atmosphere in the pre order box. Just gut a bottle of water from gazelle.com people in orange shirts

MT0227
Jun 24, 2010, 04:41 AM
Getting close!!!

http://s281.photobucket.com/albums/kk237/MT022766/image.jpg

Deimo
Jun 24, 2010, 05:13 AM
Wow... The end of the line is now on the north side of 59th street almost 20% of the way back to Madison

Basswood is doing a great job of guerilla marketing on this line too!

LoneDeranger
Jun 24, 2010, 05:13 AM
Somebody has a vuvuzela

MT0227
Jun 24, 2010, 05:22 AM
Somebody has a vuvuzela

There's an app for that :D

fansie
Jun 24, 2010, 05:49 AM
Somebody has a vuvuzela

that must be so annoying

pwb2103
Jun 24, 2010, 06:13 AM
Watching the reservations line fly by while my line isn't moving at all. Not looking good.

Deimo
Jun 24, 2010, 06:28 AM
Watching the reservations line fly by while my line isn't moving at all. Not looking good.

I feel your pain... Next to the 58th street chase entrance losing faith by the second :-(

LoneDeranger
Jun 24, 2010, 07:38 AM
At home now, with my iPhone 4; thank god for reservations! :D The reservation line moved super fast, I was somewhere towards the middle, but was already done at 7:30 am.

When I came out, I snapped a picture of the vuvuzela guy and the naked cowgirl - camera quality is so much better than 3G (compare to above).

atomicbatteries
Jun 24, 2010, 07:45 AM
How are the lines now?

pwb2103
Jun 24, 2010, 08:11 AM
And I gave up. It hurt pretty bad to get out of line... I turned the corner onto 5th ave at 8:15 and only made it about 5 feet further by 9 am. If you are still in the walkin line I hope you have better luck

atomicbatteries
Jun 24, 2010, 08:43 AM
How is the reservation line?

neupane00
Jun 24, 2010, 08:43 AM
how is the reservation line guys?

born4sky
Jun 24, 2010, 09:39 AM
How many people there right now any idea? almost 11:00

atomicbatteries
Jun 24, 2010, 10:15 AM
Reservation line at least an hour and a half. The walk up line goes clear around block to 59 street bet. Mad and 5 th

Will update in awhile.

Pjstock42
Jun 24, 2010, 10:46 AM
great experience today @ the 5th ave store

got there at 645, got into reserve line, out with phone by 10

still took some time, but they are handling it amazingly well and efficiently for how much of a circus it is there.

FYI, when i was at the front of the preorder line, the person in front of the non preorder line had been there since 8pm last night

atomicbatteries
Jun 24, 2010, 11:11 AM
Update: been here for at least an hour in reservation line. I would say at least another hour to get in store.

Walk up line still in same place.

Recomend if you have a resevations to come after 9 pm if you don't want to wait in a 2 hour line. I did this with last launch and walked right into this store.

FINAL: Took about 2hours with reservation.

the walkup line is at least 4-5 hours long. Not completely around the block on 59th street, its now on madison and winds up to the plaza where there are like 10 barricaded isles feeding into a single line into the store, they take aprox 10-15 pp; in at a time. Its a very hot in that sun for these folks, apple has been giving out free water!

The sales people in the store seem to feel they have sufficient stock to fill all of walkups....good luck
signing off this thread!

njbucsfan
Jun 24, 2010, 08:39 PM
I got in the reservations line at 6:15 p.m. and was out by 8:15 p.m. The people in the walk-ups line were waiting about 5-6 hours, I believe. I've gotta say, the Apple folks were very efficient, although I did walk out with one guy who admitted he snuck into the line downstairs by telling them he was buying a computer. Enjoy the new phone, everyone - coming from the 3G personally, this is a beautiful step up!

pwb2103
Jun 25, 2010, 08:33 AM
it hurts to ask after striking out yesterday but... anyone know what is up with 5th ave today?

After I couldn't get one yesterday I went and preodered for delivery online. I figure that might mean I'm locked into waiting for like a month for it to be delivered (so maybe that was stupid)... but if the lines die down enough maybe they would let me change it to a walk in pick up.

Amadeus Zull
Jun 25, 2010, 08:41 AM
I'm in the same boat, I gave up. Ordered online, though I had great luck with the iphone 3g and Ipad ordering through walk in via the 5th ave store and one of the apple stores in long island a few days after.

I'll probably end up buying it doing a walk in and cancel the online order.

tellemfred
Jun 25, 2010, 09:17 AM
Since I trolled this thread all day yesterday looking for updates, I wanted to post my own.

I got into the walk-up line at 7:15pm last night and was out with my phone at 2:15am. 7 hours. It really wasn't that bad until about 11:30 when the line pretty much stopped moving for no reason.

The security guy said 3pm was the ideal time to come that day and that the line was not long at all.

They cut off the line only because AT&T was only activating phones until 3am so they wanted to make sure everyone got theirs activated. So in case you were wondering, they stopped the line due to activation, NOT because they ran out of phones.

Multiple Apple employees said they expected these wait times to be throughout the weekend. I took that as a sign that they plan to have phones to last them throughout the weekend.

All the Apple employees were insanely nice, like always. Apple and Disney seem to really employ the best people. These guys worked 15 hour days yesterday and you would never know it from the way they carry themselves.

Bumpers were completely sold out at 2am but I was told they should get more today and I plan to go over there this afternoon.

I would bet the line is quicker today because they really ushered in people with reservations when they came. So now that that's over with, hopefully it'll be smoother.

I never would have waited 7 hours had I known, but when I got there I was told 4 hours and my position in line compared to other years made me believe them. (7 hours from about 20 feet from the corner of Madison and 58th)

Thanks, Apple!

spyder321
Jun 25, 2010, 09:22 AM
it hurts to ask after striking out yesterday but... anyone know what is up with 5th ave today?

After I couldn't get one yesterday I went and preodered for delivery online. I figure that might mean I'm locked into waiting for like a month for it to be delivered (so maybe that was stupid)... but if the lines die down enough maybe they would let me change it to a walk in pick up.

You didn't get one in the 5th Avenue store because they sold out for walk ins? or the line was too long??

pooster
Jun 25, 2010, 09:45 AM
Anyone know how long the line is right now?

smontague
Jun 25, 2010, 10:52 AM
anyone? I'd like to go up as a walk-in...

spyder321
Jun 25, 2010, 01:52 PM
Anyone gone to the 5th Ave Store today?

Amadeus Zull
Jun 25, 2010, 02:05 PM
Search on twitter "apple 5th ave". You can get a better picture :)

sd13
Jun 25, 2010, 03:10 PM
i arrived at the 5th avenue store yesterday at 1:30pm and was out of the store with iphone in hand at exactly 2:10. I had a preservation already but i felt really bad for those who didnt, judging from the length of that line.

tellemfred
Jun 25, 2010, 03:17 PM
Just came from 5th ave. They are out of phones for the day.

NewYorkRules
Jun 25, 2010, 04:30 PM
No lines or phones at 5th Ave - was assisted in signing up for "priority list."

appleii2mac
Jun 25, 2010, 06:24 PM
Anyone know what time they get new shipments in?

tellemfred
Jun 25, 2010, 06:47 PM
I was also told that bumpers were selling very fast when they got them in (they were long sold out when I went there at 5pm). They were only getting black, and not that many. I think for the time being it's better to just order online unless you wanna stop by everyday hoping they have one.

No cases either, but there are about 6 different types of cases at the AT&T store in Times Square (no cases at the store on 5th in the upper 40's and nothing at Best Buy on 5th ave near Bryant Park either).

AT&T in Times Square also got a few InvisiShield's in for the phone but it didnt sound like many and only 1 guy knew about it when he showed me.

pooster
Jun 26, 2010, 09:00 AM
Anyone know if there's a line today or if they have any I4s in stock?

Flyer0815
Jun 26, 2010, 05:41 PM
Anyone know if there's a line today or if they have any I4s in stock?

I was just at 5th ave after a meeting. Heard an employee said they were out of phones for now... Also said they had no bumpers left, but I found a rack of them near the genius bar with about 75 of them or so (black).