Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

billy3785

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 3, 2008
NYC
So heres my issue, My MB 13" late 2008 unibody has been running really slowly lately. I want to do a clean install on it and see if wiping out some of the bugs will help to speed it up a bit.

I have all the discs and the computer is backed up via timemachine. However the discs I have are for leopard, I upgraded to snow leopard via a friends upgrade disc which I do not possess. Will this present compatibility issues with the backup?

Also, when restoring from a time machine backup, are all the buggy files that may be causing the computer to be running slowly going to be reloaded as well rendering this whole process useless?

Thanks for the advice!

pdubak

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2009
You know. I'm not sure on the compatibility with 10.5/10.6 backups, I can't find anything on Apple that says it wouldn't work but still I wouldn't recommend rolling back.

Time machine will restore some user preference files but not any major system wide files that load with the OS. Best thing to do is try and if the problem continues, try a clean install.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.