PDA

View Full Version : ibook g4 battery won't charge/computer shutting off

sedwar13
Jun 18, 2010, 03:48 PM
Hi folks,

Sorry if I'm repeating topics by asking this, as I know some similar problems have been posted, but I've looked at some on here and even though similar symptoms occurred, I have yet to solve my problem.

A little while back I noticed my laptop's battery was holding little charge. Since the computer's a few years old, I figured it was just dying, so took out the battery and used the laptop hooked up to the ac adaptor.
However, a few weeks after that the computer started turning off for no reason. I could eventually get it back on, although sometimes it took a while and I had to let the computer sit. Even without the battery in it, I noticed that the ac light was orange instead of green. sometimes it would flash orangish red and orange, while sometimes it would go green if i unplugged it and then plugged it in again.

When this became more and more frequent I decided to buy a new battery and a new ac adaptor. however, when i got the battery I noticed that while it was in the computer and the ac adaptor was plugged in, the computer still ran off battery power and wouldnt charge. This happened with both the old and new adaptor, so i assume that its not a major coincidence and both chargers are faulty.

Is there something I could try to fix this? I've heard about the power usage reset or something like that, but am not sure how to do it on this model or if that would solve the problem. I can't really afford a new computer right now, so thought i'd ask for some expert advice!

Thanks for reading!
Scott

Agincourt
Jun 18, 2010, 05:20 PM
This sounds like a hardware problem. This is most likely the component which attaches the AC adaptor to the ibook's motherboard. The symptoms you describe sound almost exactly what to expect from a failing DC-in cable, which would require opening up the computer to replace. I had recently done exactly that and it seemed to solve the problem.