Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
They're right.

They always say Apple has almost the entire legal download market and harddrive based music players, which is great except that the market is so small!! What happens when downloading songs is the STANDARD way of acquiring music? What happens when almost EVERYBODY owns an mp3 player of some sort? Even the mp3 player market is small. When the market explodes, will Apple still be ahead? Not by this margin, no.

I have a feeling Apple's music endeavors will end up like Palm, and Palm had other people making PDAs with the Palm OS. Apple won't allow anyone else to make their player or use FairPlay. If Palm was so open with their stuff and couldn't survive MS, Apple's iTMS won't either.

If Apple licenses out, then maybe.

kettle

macrumors 65816
I think the guardian should have looked into the audio side of mpeg 4, the format will be the mobile fav and has AAC for the audio.

As I understand the drm side of things is just a bolt on. everyone will end up using AAC and not a windows or sony format.

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
I can't wait for some anal lawyer to argue that "Plays for Sure" is not a warranty that the product will certainly work. Personally, I'd avoid a slogan like that like the plague... but Microsoft has plenty of money to buy favorable court decisions, so why not.

rueyeet

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2003
MD
I think that if we're going to be stuck with DRM at all, there should be a single interoperable DRM standard, designed independently by some standards body that is NOT Apple or Microsoft, and that any player manufacturer or music store who wants to play in the digital music space should have to implement to it. I've seen a few signs that things might finally be moving in that direction.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.