PDA

View Full Version : 14th street NYC

lucky967
Jun 18, 2010, 06:48 PM
Anyone been to any other launches here, I plan on getting there sometime between 6 and 7 and hope to get into work by 10, does that sound like it'll work?

AntJon82
Jun 18, 2010, 07:14 PM
No U Better Get There By 6 At Least Im Coming From Nj N Im Leave At 530

nyctravis
Jun 18, 2010, 07:35 PM
I'll be there around 6. Also gotta make it to work, hopeful that I'm not being *too* hopeful.

dmitriypopov
Jun 18, 2010, 08:06 PM
Yeah! I pre-order one, but I couldn't get through the server until 8pm that night (on June 15), hope there's one waiting for me! Gonna try to get there around 6, too! can't wait!

lucky967
Jun 19, 2010, 09:14 AM
I'm just hoping that
1) the 5th Ave store gets most of the big die hard fans
2) UWS gets most people living on the west side
3) SoHo gets the people from the outer burroughs.
4) 14th street isn't flooded by L train hipsters.

nyctravis
Jun 19, 2010, 01:38 PM
I'm just hoping that

I think 5th ave will by far have the most in line. The others are a tossup, but I think it will help that the launch is on a Thursday and many have to get to work. Plus the 7am opening vs 9am might help slightly. We'll see. I still think this launch will be huge regardless.

jamabam
Jun 19, 2010, 04:14 PM
I think 5th ave will by far have the most in line. The others are a tossup, but I think it will help that the launch is on a Thursday and many have to get to work. Plus the 7am opening vs 9am might help slightly. We'll see. I still think this launch will be huge regardless.

i think i remember the 5th avenue and 14th street stores being flooded the most for 3GS's launch last year. then again, the UWS store wasn't open yet so it may help things out this time around...

iPhonePhan
Jun 19, 2010, 06:41 PM
Anyone been to any other launches here, I plan on getting there sometime between 6 and 7 and hope to get into work by 10, does that sound like it'll work?

I've also got to start work at 10am though my office isn't far away. Anyone think I'll make it if I get there at 7am ?

AntJon82
Jun 20, 2010, 08:37 PM
I'm just hoping that

GUESS I GOTTA LEAVE BY 5 THEN N HAUL AZZ FROM THE PATH TRAIN TO GET IN LINE

dmitriypopov
Jun 20, 2010, 10:08 PM
Hahahaha! I too have to be at "work" around 10. It all depends on the AT&T server and how collapse it will be on Thursday morning. That POS [the AT&T server] can't take any load for launch day or even pre-order.

I was the 5 in line at a small-town AT&T store for the 3G launch as a walk-in, but due to heavy server traffic, I became the first person to leave the store with an activated and working iPhone 3G that very morning after over an hour with the AT&T staff trying to fight against their own system to activate the phones.

So, I will expect delay, for both walk-in and pre-order.

I do work around the 14th street west store, but I almost sign up for the 5th ave store just for the experience!!!

lucky967
Jun 21, 2010, 11:46 AM
Hahahaha! I too have to be at "work" around 10. It all depends on the AT&T server and how collapse it will be on Thursday morning. That POS [the AT&T server] can't take any load for launch day or even pre-order.

I was the 5 in line at a small-town AT&T store for the 3G launch as a walk-in, but due to heavy server traffic, I became the first person to leave the store with an activated and working iPhone 3G that very morning after over an hour with the AT&T staff trying to fight against their own system to activate the phones.

So, I will expect delay, for both walk-in and pre-order.

I do work around the 14th street west store, but I almost sign up for the 5th ave store just for the experience!!!

Anyone know if it's possible to simply pick up your phone and activate it at home? My big concern is that my boss, and all my co workers will be working right next door to the apple store that day, so I'm looking to be out of sight by the time they show up (probably late morning). Things just aren't working out for me with this whole pre-order thing.

MCooper
Jun 21, 2010, 02:44 PM
New to the iphone and couldnt preorder so want to show up early and get on line. Thoughts on if should go to ATT store on my block or to the 14th apple store? Was planning on showing up at 5 am so not sure what is best bet?

nyctravis
Jun 21, 2010, 11:00 PM
New to the iphone and couldnt preorder so want to show up early and get on line. Thoughts on if should go to ATT store on my block or to the 14th apple store? Was planning on showing up at 5 am so not sure what is best bet?

My guess is that those with reservations will be ok and 5am probably fine. Those without reservations are a different story and I'd surmise that a full camp out is in your future. Just my thoughts with little hard data to back it up.

mtor82
Jun 22, 2010, 11:59 AM
So I wasn't able to reserve an iPhone for the 24th. How early do you guys think is a good time to show up for the line? What time are you other guys who didn't pre-order going to show up at?

jamabam
Jun 22, 2010, 01:30 PM
So I wasn't able to reserve an iPhone for the 24th. How early do you guys think is a good time to show up for the line? What time are you other guys who didn't pre-order going to show up at?

i also couldn't pre-order (billing/shipping address mixup, long story). at first i wanted to line up at the AT&T store next to my apt building, but i'm getting increasingly worried that they will have limited, if any, phones available! i've never done an apple store line and i'm actually scared to do it...

MCooper
Jun 22, 2010, 03:05 PM
Anyone wanna meet there and help one another out? Who ever is first can let the other one come in type of thing?

I can be there are 4 am if someone else interested in this or going earlier and wants to take a break or go home and come back when i get there?

dmitriypopov
Jun 22, 2010, 05:55 PM
Hmmm... this thread is actually really week comparing to other Apple store at much smaller town... so maybe not so many people will be at the 14th street store?!

But this is NYC, so it is so hard to say how many people will be camping out. I will suggest those who does not has a reservation to start camping out at mid-night Thursday morning... since walk-in will be extremely limited and AT&T won't even have walk-in now...

I was camping out at an AT&T store at a VERY small town in the south for the 3G launch, and the earliest person got there at 3am and I was the 5th in line at 5:15. So, New Yorker, be prepare!!!

MCooper
Jun 22, 2010, 07:29 PM
Just called ATT store and they said they wont have them till Tuesday?

Looks like i be at the 14th street store as early as i can without any reservations!

jamabam
Jun 23, 2010, 09:27 AM
Just called ATT store and they said they wont have them till Tuesday?

Looks like i be at the 14th street store as early as i can without any reservations!

i'm really torn between going to the 5th avenue store or 14th street store. a friend just passed by 5th avenue this morning and there's already a line! though, not sure if those are pre-ordered or walk-in customers.

i feel like the 5th avenue store will have more for walk-ins like me, but there will be a ton of people in line. whereas the 14th street store may not have as many units, but probably not that much of a line? ahhh, which one?? and what time?? i'm going crazy, lol

Xam8006
Jun 23, 2010, 09:49 AM
Preordered my 32GB, looking to see if anyone wants to meetup in the AM? I think I am getting there around 6am. I think it should go fairly smoothly.Also excited to get my Bumper.

rorschach
Jun 23, 2010, 11:26 AM
I was thinking about getting there at 5am. Maybe that's a little early but if the weather isn't bad it's only 2 hours. And better safe than sorry right?

MCooper
Jun 23, 2010, 11:28 AM
14th street is official for me.

What you guys think is an early enough time to show up on the no reservations line?

CVUSA
Jun 23, 2010, 12:09 PM
I had no reservations, plan to be there at 3am.(maybe around 3)

born4sky
Jun 23, 2010, 02:18 PM
Who want to keep a spot for me? I'll come at 6:00 am ... I'll buy Bumper for that person any color you like ;)

rorschach
Jun 23, 2010, 08:30 PM
Who want to keep a spot for me? I'll come at 6:00 am ... I'll buy Bumper for that person any color you like ;)

Haha I'd do it but would they let us do that?

jaeshellz
Jun 23, 2010, 08:36 PM
i plan on being there around 2:30am coming from the Bronx.

Any guess on how many people are out there right now?

nyctravis
Jun 23, 2010, 08:38 PM
i plan on being there around 2:30am coming from the Bronx.

Any guess on how many people are out there right now?

At least 50+

jaeshellz
Jun 23, 2010, 08:46 PM
At least 50+

hmmm...that store should have around 200 phones u think?

i don't wanna make a troop like this, wait on line for hours, just to be told "we're sold out".

nyctravis
Jun 23, 2010, 09:16 PM
hmmm...that store should have around 200 phones u think?

i don't wanna make a troop like this, wait on line for hours, just to be told "we're sold out".

Live a few blocks away, going there now to check it out. Will send an update shortly...

jaeshellz
Jun 23, 2010, 09:47 PM
Live a few blocks away, going there now to check it out. Will send an update shortly...

awesome, thanks alot man

nyctravis
Jun 23, 2010, 10:12 PM
Ok. About 40-50 people in line max. Everyone really cool, the energy is fun. Talked to lots of people in line (my friend is #26 in line and seems to have bonded with everyone). Am told that *they* were told 2,500+ iPhones on reserve but no idea on how many will be available for non reserved. My impression is that that is highly based on rumor/crowd-talk, but FYI FWIW. While I was there, the line grew by a couple of people at most over about 30 min. so definitely a crowd, but doesn't seem insurmountable as of yet. But the night is young. :)

Ran across the street to get some food, will try to take another look and update again before heading home for some sleep.

rorschach
Jun 23, 2010, 10:21 PM
Ok. About 40-50 people in line max. Everyone really cool, the energy is fun. Talked to lots of people in line (my friend is #26 in line and seems to have bonded with everyone). Am told that *they* were told 2,500+ iPhones on reserve but no idea on how many will be available for non reserved. My impression is that that is highly based on rumor/crowd-talk, but FYI FWIW. While I was there, the line grew by a couple of people at most over about 30 min. so definitely a crowd, but doesn't seem insurmountable as of yet. But the night is young. :)

Ran across the street to get some food, will try to take another look and update again before heading home for some sleep.

Thanks for the update! So basically if you've got one reserved it's really just a matter of how long you want to wait in line. (Luckily I do!)

nyctravis
Jun 23, 2010, 10:35 PM
Line is about 60-70 ppl now.

jaeshellz
Jun 23, 2010, 11:02 PM
niice. im headin over there now, somebody save me a cozy spot (kiddin)...ill be the dude with a pigeon on his fitted hat.

rorschach
Jun 23, 2010, 11:56 PM
Think I'm gonna head over as well!

Got the 3G and the 3GS on launch day. I can't stop now!

CVUSA
Jun 24, 2010, 12:39 AM
I am heading there now ,How many persons in line now for (No Reservation ) ?
Thanks

jposhea3
Jun 24, 2010, 08:49 AM
as of 9am the line extended west from 14th St and 9th ave up to 10th ave and north to 16th street, with gaps for the gas station and any intervening loading docks - that's the *reservation* line.

the prepaid line is much shorter.

the appleshirted folks working the line indicated it was a quick 5 min in-and-out to get it done, and also seemed to indicate that they'd be open late tonight if the line was still there, in order to clear the reservation list (and yes, the guys on the line can confirm if you're on the list or not - and it sounded like they fully expect to have stock for all the reservations)

of course I cycled over there and realized I hadn't put my wallet into my bike shorts.... so I'll try again later (I didnt confirm my own name I was so self-annoyed).

nyctravis
Jun 24, 2010, 08:53 AM
Just got my iPhone 4!! It's gorgeous. The line at the point I left (about half hour ago) was at least to 10th avenue and 17th street. I started out about 6am on 10th ave & 14th street and then was "filtered" out into the reserved line. All told about 2 hours. The non-reserved line is moving much slower (much to their dismay, understandably so) and I would imagine will be at least a half day affair for non-reserved people just joining the line (at least).

weirdfishes
Jun 24, 2010, 08:55 AM
as of 9am the line extended west from 14th St and 9th ave up to 10th ave and north to 16th street, with gaps for the gas station and any intervening loading docks - that's the *reservation* line.

the prepaid line is much shorter.

the appleshirted folks working the line indicated it was a quick 5 min in-and-out to get it done, and also seemed to indicate that they'd be open late tonight if the line was still there, in order to clear the reservation list (and yes, the guys on the line can confirm if you're on the list or not - and it sounded like they fully expect to have stock for all the reservations)

of course I cycled over there and realized I hadn't put my wallet into my bike shorts.... so I'll try again later (I didnt confirm my own name I was so self-annoyed).

So if I can't get to this store to pick up my reserved iPhone until around 7pm, do you think I will get my phone before closing at 9?

Any other updates on how the line is right now?

johnnybluejeans
Jun 24, 2010, 09:38 AM
Any update on the length of the reservations line at 14th St?

mattinnyc
Jun 24, 2010, 09:42 AM
I just got back from a trip over there. The line is still stretching all the way from 9th to 10th and wraps around part way up to near 15th st (again, skipping the gas station), so it sounds like it's a bit shorter than it was earlier. I'm going to go back later this afternoon.

nycmatt81
Jun 24, 2010, 10:22 AM
For those that have been there and returned, are there two lines or three lines? I had assumed there would only be two lines: 1 for the Reserveds/Prepaids and 1 for the "walk-ins."

nyctravis - if you started at 6am and the doors didn't open until 7am, I'm surprised it still only took you an hour. That's great. I imagine the line will move even faster now that people are getting in and out quickly.

mattinnyc
Jun 24, 2010, 10:32 AM
For those that have been there and returned, are there two lines or three lines? I had assumed there would only be two lines: 1 for the Reserveds/Prepaids and 1 for the "walk-ins."

As far as I could see there were only two lines, but I didn't look carefully.

johnnybluejeans
Jun 24, 2010, 10:59 AM
I just got back from a trip over there. The line is still stretching all the way from 9th to 10th and wraps around part way up to near 15th st (again, skipping the gas station), so it sounds like it's a bit shorter than it was earlier. I'm going to go back later this afternoon.

Definitely shorter than it was earlier. I popped in at 8am and it was down to 10th & 16th.

nycmatt81
Jun 24, 2010, 12:20 PM
Anyone know how the lines are looking now? I imagine once the store runs out of "walk-in" phones to sell, then the lines will dissipate.

johnnybluejeans
Jun 24, 2010, 12:41 PM
Bump! I'd like to know how the line looks too. Waaaay too hot out to be standing in line for an hour+

nycmatt81
Jun 24, 2010, 12:42 PM
They should have webcams outside the store, showing the lines. Don't you think? :)

tak437
Jun 24, 2010, 12:50 PM
They should have webcams outside the store, showing the lines. Don't you think? :)

They should. I was actually searching google for a traffic cam to see if I can catch a peak of the line.

johnnybluejeans
Jun 24, 2010, 02:12 PM
I'm online at 14th now. Line goes to Washington and is slow as hell. They estimate 2.5hrs, and after being in it for 40mins I believe it.

jposhea3
Jun 24, 2010, 02:57 PM
Got here 1130 am just got in store. 4pm

dberger1
Jun 24, 2010, 05:02 PM
I have a phone reserved, so I was thinking of heading on up there in about an hour (7pm). Anyone know what the line is like at this point for people who reserved?

Thanks,
Dan

spyder321
Jun 25, 2010, 09:44 AM
Any updates for today, how long the walk in line is? I doubt there is a reserved line today.

nyctravis
Jun 25, 2010, 09:58 AM
Just walked by. Line is pretty small, maybe 20 or so. I'd take the opportunity now if you can.

anonymouz1828
Jun 25, 2010, 11:37 AM
Just walked by. Line is pretty small, maybe 20 or so. I'd take the opportunity now if you can.

Sweeeet ... thanks a lot man!! Today by 9am around 20 people .. it gives me some hope for the coming morning Sunday. I would appreciate it if you can post about tomorrow morning lines too .. it will give an idea for what i will be facing on early Sunday. I will be in nyc for like three days starting early Sunday .. I hope to have iphone 4 before leaving nyc.

fansie
Jun 25, 2010, 01:04 PM
So, I saw the post at 10:58 by Travis. Left work ("lunch") and got there at 11:40 AM. There were about 35 people in line outside, then the line inside had about 20 more, then about 20-30 more on the 3rd floor (where you get the iPhone). They simply rotate people inside when the line shifts. I was out of there by 1:00 PM. It was a great experience and it's amazing, just ONE day after release it took much shorter time than yesterday.

When I left the store, there were about 35-40 people in the outside line.

They gave out water and Ben and Jerry's small ice creams and offered umbrella's for sun protection.

tellemfred
Jun 25, 2010, 01:30 PM
So, I saw the post at 10:58 by Travis. Left work ("lunch") and got there at 11:40 AM. There were about 35 people in line outside, then the line inside had about 20 more, then about 20-30 more on the 3rd floor (where you get the iPhone). They simply rotate people inside when the line shifts. I was out of there by 1:00 PM. It was a great experience and it's amazing, just ONE day after release it took much shorter time than yesterday.

When I left the store, there were about 35-40 people in the outside line.

They gave out water and Ben and Jerry's small ice creams and offered umbrella's for sun protection.

Did they have bumpers?

The Monkey
Jun 25, 2010, 01:34 PM
If you're not there for an iPhone, do you still need to wait on line?

spyder321
Jun 25, 2010, 01:54 PM
If you're not there for an iPhone, do you still need to wait on line?

No you don't have to wait.

I wonder if the line will get crazy after 5pm when people start going after work...

fansie
Jun 25, 2010, 02:12 PM
Did they have bumpers?

no bumpers when I left and I really wanted to get one

NewYorkRules
Jun 25, 2010, 04:35 PM
Got excited when saw line, but was told there aren't enough phones for those in line. Not letting anyone else in line. "Priority list" option not even mentioned. Just told that they may get more tomorrow and/or Sunday. Salespeople seemed clueless, which is probably why people got in line even though thy were told there aren't enough phones.

The Monkey
Jun 26, 2010, 06:26 AM
Would appreciate a 14th Street store update this morning. Many thanks.

jamabam
Jun 26, 2010, 09:19 AM
Would appreciate a 14th Street store update this morning. Many thanks.

I read that all of manhattan stores are sold out as of last night. I'm sure the stores will get shipments soon. I strongly advise calling before making a trip over. they are really nice over the phone, even though you know they are being asked the same thing on every call :P

The Monkey
Jun 26, 2010, 09:23 AM
Thanks for the info. I'm actually delighted to hear that news--I need to go there to exchange something non-iPhone related.

The Monkey
Jun 26, 2010, 01:23 PM
Well, no line, but of course no phones. It was crowded but manageable and the sales reps were very nice. I was told that they are now going to use a reservation system "like we did for the iPad." That doesn't mean anything to me, but hopefully it's helpful to orders.

As for the new iPhone, it's a very slick piece of kit. I tried to make the antenna angry, but my non-clammy palm could only kill one bar. That said, when I tried to make a call covering the left hand corner, I had an awful connection. Of course, that's also normal for ATT in Manhattan. Also, for righties who hold they're iPhones In their left hand while browsing, the antenna issue will be a PITA.

The screen is really impressive. And the phone is fast. Overall, looks like a really nice device. Except if you must have 24/7 always on phone access in a major metro area. In which case it's no good. If you need such reliabiliity, at least in Manhattan, the only choice is VZW.

anonymouz1828
Jun 26, 2010, 11:20 PM
Well, no line, but of course no phones. It was crowded but manageable and the sales reps were very nice. I was told that they are now going to use a reservation system "like we did for the iPad." That doesn't mean anything to me, but hopefully it's helpful to orders.

As for the new iPhone, it's a very slick piece of kit. I tried to make the antenna angry, but my non-clammy palm could only kill one bar. That said, when I tried to make a call covering the left hand corner, I had an awful connection. Of course, that's also normal for ATT in Manhattan. Also, for righties who hold they're iPhones In their left hand while browsing, the antenna issue will be a PITA.

The screen is really impressive. And the phone is fast. Overall, looks like a really nice device. Except if you must have 24/7 always on phone access in a major metro area. In which case it's no good. If you need such reliabiliity, at least in Manhattan, the only choice is VZW.

No phone for Saturday or no phone for this weekend (including sunday june 27)??

The Monkey
Jun 26, 2010, 11:29 PM
Not sure about Sunday, but it would appear that you'd need a reservation if they do have them.

Dr Lu 2010
Jun 27, 2010, 12:41 AM
will they take orders for white models..or just black

rml4uk
Oct 11, 2011, 04:07 PM
For anyone that has bought an iPhone at this store in years past - what is the possibility of being able to walk in at some point on Friday or sometime on Saturday and walking out with a phone? I know that sounds a little crazy but there are always instances of people walking in after the initial rush and being able to get a phone. I'm going to NYC for vacation tomorrow and I'm staying in the Village about half a mile from the 14th St. store. I didn't pre-order a 4S because originally I didn't want it and bought a Galaxy S II instead, but the battery life isn't great so I think I'm going to switch back to old faithful :) Best case scenario, I walk down the street to the store, buy a 4S and walk back to the hotel to play with my new purchase. Thoughts anyone?

navindralr
Oct 11, 2011, 04:11 PM
I'm just hoping that

lol.. you literally made me lol at the "L train hipsters." I ride the L train from Bedford all the time.. holy crap are they annoying...

nyctravis
Oct 11, 2011, 04:16 PM
For anyone that has bought an iPhone at this store in years past - what is the possibility of being able to walk in at some point on Friday or sometime on Saturday and walking out with a phone? I know that sounds a little crazy but there are always instances of people walking in after the initial rush and being able to get a phone. I'm going to NYC for vacation tomorrow and I'm staying in the Village about half a mile from the 14th St. store. I didn't pre-order a 4S because originally I didn't want it and bought a Galaxy S II instead, but the battery life isn't great so I think I'm going to switch back to old faithful :) Best case scenario, I walk down the street to the store, buy a 4S and walk back to the hotel to play with my new purchase. Thoughts anyone?

That's my regular store as I live around the corner from it. I don't anticipate that you will be able to just walk in after the line is served, and get a phone. I expect the stock to be less than the line. That said, the store is either the best in the city (shorter line of people to compete with than the other stores. But make no mistake-they still get long lines) *or* the worst (less stock than the other stores).

Feel free to try your luck. But ultimately I suspect that neither scenario (best vs worst) will matter in the first few days anyway. I would be shocked if you didn't have to stand in line.

Of course, this is all IMO and I'm certainly no expert!