PDA

View Full Version : Santa Monica, CA (Third Street Promenade)

RidleyGriff
Jun 18, 2010, 06:49 PM
This Apple Store has been my good luck charm since the original iPhone launch, and on through both the 3GS and iPad launches. And it's where I'll be picking up my reserved iPhone 4 from this Thursday morning.

Who else will be there?

shannieb77
Jun 18, 2010, 06:58 PM
Maybe I will show up at midnight with a lawn chair, blanket and a pillow.

znewton
Jun 18, 2010, 07:03 PM
This is where I plan on picking up mine on Thursday..I'm just trying to gauge what time I should show up in order to get one. I know there's no way to know but I don't want to show up at 3AM and have there be no line and just waste my time..what do you guys think?

RidleyGriff
Jun 18, 2010, 07:09 PM
For the original iPhone launch, people were lining up the night before (I actually lucked out that night at this location, right before closing).

Lines for the iPad were pretty moderate -- maybe 50-60 people each in both the pre-order and walk-up lines at store opening. But this seems like it's going to be a much bigger deal.

Do we know if the iPhones will be activated on-site yet? I'd like to get there and still get back to work by 9:30.

mdwsta4
Jun 18, 2010, 07:13 PM
i live a few blocks away and might ride by bike by, if nothing more than to laugh at the people sitting outside. i'll be comfortable in my own bed while my iphone 4 will get delivered on thursday.

RidleyGriff
Jun 18, 2010, 07:28 PM
i live a few blocks away and might ride by bike by, if nothing more than to laugh at the people sitting outside. i'll be comfortable in my own bed while my iphone 4 will get delivered on thursday.

That's pretty sweet; while you're waiting at home for your delivery other people will be having fun in line and using their new phones.

Seriously don't get the need to hate. Why seek out and post in a meetup thread?

mdwsta4
Jun 19, 2010, 11:01 AM
wasn't hating, was joking. geez. stop being so sensitive.
last year the 3GS was delivered at 9am.

That's pretty sweet; while you're waiting at home for your delivery other people will be having fun in line and using their new phones.

Seriously don't get the need to hate. Why seek out and post in a meetup thread?

altautah
Jun 19, 2010, 01:00 PM
There are five of us already in line outside the Apple store on the 3rd St Promenade. Apple is loving it! But security is saying we literally have to stand for the entire time!

thirteen1031
Jun 19, 2010, 01:09 PM
The big question for me is will there be white phones? If yes, then I'll be there early and wait in line because if I don't I'll probably have no chance at getting a white phone. If no, then waiting in line for the doors to open will just be for fun :p as I've pre-ordered the two blacks.

So, maybe I will, maybe I won't ;)

RidleyGriff
Jun 19, 2010, 02:09 PM
There are five of us already in line outside the Apple store on the 3rd St Promenade. Apple is loving it! But security is saying we literally have to stand for the entire time!

Wow - impressive! Are you the folks in the picture Engadget just posted?

rrwrrw
Jun 19, 2010, 02:54 PM
Those chicks are pretty cute!

Sparyn
Jun 19, 2010, 04:54 PM
Wow - impressive! Are you the folks in the picture Engadget just posted?

Hey RG - Yep, that's us just getting set up. It's going to be a long (fun) five days.

rrwrrw
Jun 20, 2010, 12:43 AM
I stopped by there tonight. Wow! I guess Apple expected to get a permit for people to campout starting Wednesday night. But, they love having them around so Apple is going to get the permit as soon as the city hall doors open on Monday morning. BTW: the girl in the black shirt tonight was smoking hot. I didn't expect that a girl like that would be a geek! I might have to go campout there soon and see if I can get some sleeping bag play!

RealSkyDiver
Jun 20, 2010, 01:10 AM
I didn't expect that a girl like that would be a geek! I might have to go campout there soon and see if I can get some sleeping bag play!

you do know they read this right? perv...

znewton
Jun 20, 2010, 02:53 AM
Hey so this is to the girls in line (in hopes you're reading this)--How many other people are in line with you? Also--have you heard anything from the guys @ the Apple store regarding what they expect for lines etc? I live in Venice and definitely want to get one and am thinking of coming around 3-4AM on the 24th. I'm hoping you will keep this thread updated with regards to the line as we get closer!

GirlsInLine
Jun 20, 2010, 09:10 AM
Hey so this is to the girls in line (in hopes you're reading this)--How many other people are in line with you? Also--have you heard anything from the guys @ the Apple store regarding what they expect for lines etc? I live in Venice and definitely want to get one and am thinking of coming around 3-4AM on the 24th. I'm hoping you will keep this thread updated with regards to the line as we get closer!

Just 5 of us for now. Apple is trying to get a permit from Monday onward so I don't think anyone else is planning to come till then, if not till Wednesday. We have started the non-preorder line by the way.

We'll update this when we hear more from Apple and if anyone else joins. We're also tweeting @mypoynt. But come over and say hi sometime if you're on the area.

Man on the moon
Jun 20, 2010, 12:14 PM
Wow, I work in Santa Monica and will go early Thursday. Save me a spot!!! I'll give you $50. Just kidding

if I get it good if not then I'll try everyday until I do.

jlipscomb
Jun 20, 2010, 05:37 PM
Does anyone know if there's going to be a separate line for people with reservations? I was able to get a reservation on the preorder day, but I'm wondering what time I should come in, or if I need to get there super early.

RealSkyDiver
Jun 20, 2010, 06:26 PM
Does anyone know if there's going to be a separate line for people with reservations? I was able to get a reservation on the preorder day, but I'm wondering what time I should come in, or if I need to get there super early.

There will be 2 lines but both lines are going to be long so you should still be there a few hours early.

jlipscomb
Jun 20, 2010, 08:52 PM
There will be 2 lines but both lines are going to be long so you should still be there a few hours early.

Well dang. Do you expect the line for reservations to be really long as well? I could come later in the day since the reservation supposedly holds until the end of business on Thursday. The store opens at 7am Thursday, correct?

GirlsInLine
Jun 20, 2010, 08:58 PM
So far we're still the only ones in line. Ray Liotta came by though (http://facebook.com/poynt)

Apple has been great to us, checking in and even letting us recharge when the Apple products need juice.

The performers are great, people are fun to talk to, it's been fun.

No new iPhone specific news, sorry. But yes, two separate lines for reserved and nonreserved.

RealSkyDiver
Jun 20, 2010, 08:58 PM
Well what do you prefer more? Waiting during the cool morning breeze or the scorching day heat?

GirlsInLine
Jun 21, 2010, 09:33 AM
Well what do you prefer more? Waiting during the cool morning breeze or the scorching day heat?

luckily it's been pretty moderate the past two days. here's hoping it stays that way.

heyroth
Jun 21, 2010, 12:04 PM
What are you guys doing to keep sane in line? Plus I saw the foraging video on poynt's facebook. Famima!!!

PhillyCheese
Jun 21, 2010, 12:52 PM
What are you guys doing to keep sane in line? Plus I saw the foraging video on poynt's facebook. Famima!!!

Ah...I also saw their video, and I believe you have over-exclamed Famima!! ;)

GirlsInLine
Jun 21, 2010, 06:13 PM

Watching street performers is always entertaining. Luckily there's an ordinance that only allows performers to play for 2 hours in the same spot. So we get to see a lot of different acts.

Everyone is asking what we're waiting for, and why so long, so we spend a lot of time talking to people on the street.

UPDATE: Apple talked to the City today, and now they have stanchions designating the line. Police have been ok with us. First time they came by at night, they said they didn't have a problem with us, just wanted to make sure we were safe. The community officers have come through every morning around 6 or 7 to make us pack up our sleeping bags. Not sure whether that will apply tomorrow as well. Nonetheless, street sweepers come out around 5 and are pretty loud when they're on the block. It's hard to stay asleep, but at least they just go around us, and don't make us move our stuff.

Apple employees are still just as gracious. I'm on a MacBook Pro in-store now while mine charges in the back room. The manager offered us water this afternoon. Other employees come out to sit and talk to us before/after their shifts. They smile and say I when we come in the store. It's great.

But yeah, we've been reading, talking to people, watching performers, taking photos/video and tweeting. And getting tans :)

jlipscomb
Jun 21, 2010, 09:22 PM
Is there a line yet for people who have reservations or is it still just the one line?

Man on the moon
Jun 21, 2010, 10:32 PM
Why are you guys waiting so far ahead of the release date? just wondering the reason?

heyroth
Jun 22, 2010, 01:42 AM
Watching street performers is always entertaining. Luckily there's an ordinance that only allows performers to play for 2 hours in the same spot. So we get to see a lot of different acts.

Everyone is asking what we're waiting for, and why so long, so we spend a lot of time talking to people on the street.

UPDATE: Apple talked to the City today, and now they have stanchions designating the line. Police have been ok with us. First time they came by at night, they said they didn't have a problem with us, just wanted to make sure we were safe. The community officers have come through every morning around 6 or 7 to make us pack up our sleeping bags. Not sure whether that will apply tomorrow as well. Nonetheless, street sweepers come out around 5 and are pretty loud when they're on the block. It's hard to stay asleep, but at least they just go around us, and don't make us move our stuff.

Apple employees are still just as gracious. I'm on a MacBook Pro in-store now while mine charges in the back room. The manager offered us water this afternoon. Other employees come out to sit and talk to us before/after their shifts. They smile and say I when we come in the store. It's great.

But yeah, we've been reading, talking to people, watching performers, taking photos/video and tweeting. And getting tans :)

Yeah, being street swept might make it difficult for you to wait in line. Just sayin'... Can't wait for those video updates you guys do on your facebook page.

Glad you guys are doing well! You should totally make some smores!

srcampana
Jun 22, 2010, 01:51 PM
Are there other people on line yet or is it still just you girls? I'd like to come down there sometime Thursday morning...like between 3-5 am. Good idea or will I not get one? No reservation because Apple's website lied to me. :(

naco
Jun 23, 2010, 12:45 PM
I thought there was already a thread for the SM store from the previous launches? Meh oh well.

I will be there at about 3am on launch day (Got a Reservation). Maybe sooner if you girls start saying there are herds of people lining up.

I'll be sure to say hello. You'll be the ones in the funny matching shirts right? :p

PKPUNCH
Jun 23, 2010, 12:45 PM
People are in line

randomerratum
Jun 23, 2010, 12:49 PM
I will be there at about 3am on launch day (Got a Reservation). Maybe sooner if you girls start saying there are herds of people lining up.
:p

Is it really going to be necessary to line up that early with a reservation? I have a reservation and was just going to get there an hour or so before open figuring that with a reservation it shouldn't take more then 2 hours.... but maybe I'm wrong?

naco
Jun 23, 2010, 12:59 PM
Is it really going to be necessary to line up that early with a reservation? I have a reservation and was just going to get there an hour or so before open figuring that with a reservation it shouldn't take more then 2 hours.... but maybe I'm wrong?

Who knows. I was near the front of the reserved line for the 3G S launch and it still took about 45 minutes to actually get with an associate. This is because of how Apple does the whole mixing of the 2 different groups.

The reasoning for me is not only from that previous experience, but also because I know that time will multiply tenfold this time around because this is a MAJOR design change. The 3G S was more of just a "satisfy the customer" speed bump. So I'm going to be cautious so I don't end up having to wait somewhere around Banana Republic (If it even gets to that).

In addition, if the line for reserved is short because of the reservation problems, I will just grab my phone and a new dock and head home to plug it in and go back to sleep haha

abijnk
Jun 23, 2010, 07:13 PM
Does anyone know approximately how many people are in line now?

naco
Jun 23, 2010, 10:53 PM
Does anyone know approximately how many people are in line now?

I'll be able to tell you in about 30 minutes. I'll snap a pic once I get around to there.

naco
Jun 23, 2010, 11:23 PM
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk170/NacosTacos/Cars/b895dd84.jpg

The non reserve line isn't tooooo bad. But there is NO ONE really in the reserve line.

And this my friends, makes me happy =]

mdwsta4
Jun 24, 2010, 12:39 AM
did anyone else see the guy with the iphone 4?

jlipscomb
Jun 24, 2010, 01:06 AM
How's the reserve line looking now?

naco
Jun 24, 2010, 01:13 AM
How's the reserve line looking now?

Can't answer that. I am already back at home. I'll be able to post another picture sometime around 3ish AM when I go back to take my place in line.

I just though of a really cool idea. Apple should put up live stream type pages for each store so people can see whats going on when new releases are made. It'll get them more hits and also give them video so they can make a short vid about how the releases went I'd watch it haha

Echthros
Jun 24, 2010, 01:40 AM
Has anyone heard approximately t how many iPhones Santa Monica Apple will be reserving for walk-in customers?

Also, how long is the non-reservation line at this moment, if anyone happens to know?

naco
Jun 24, 2010, 05:21 AM
Alright, so I just got here at about 3am and this is the scene:

This is the end of the reservation line
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk170/NacosTacos/Cars/58b565fb.jpg

And this is where the end of the non reservation line goes to
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk170/NacosTacos/Cars/222b9cb3.jpg

I may update later if I have enough juice.

jlipscomb
Jun 24, 2010, 06:16 AM
anyone have an estimate on how many people that is in the reservation line?

naco
Jun 24, 2010, 07:09 AM
Well the non reserve line is pretty much to the end of the block now (Where the book store is).

The reserved line looks like it's not too far behind now.

As a side note, I'm really hating this new iOS 4 spell correct. It's not as intuitive as it should be.

vitrector
Jun 24, 2010, 09:15 AM
Can anyone report how fast the reservations line is moving?

mvr1127
Jun 24, 2010, 01:43 PM
Apple employee said they have lots of phones but wait was very long. Ive been in line 3 hours and they estimated 3-4 more hours for me, but I'm in the walk in line. They are still helping the reserve line at a higher ratio. If you've got a phone on reserve, the employee said you would be much better off coming in the evening, maybe around 6pm, without as much waiting.

Echthros
Jun 24, 2010, 01:51 PM
Apple employee said they have lots of phones but wait was very long. Ive been in line 3 hours and they estimated 3-4 more hours for me, but I'm in the walk in line. They are still helping the reserve line at a higher ratio. If you've got a phone on reserve, the employee said you would be much better off coming in the evening, maybe around 6pm, without as much waiting.
So the wait time would be approximately 5/6 hours if a walk-in customer just began to wait in line?

Approximately how long is the walk-in line at the moment?

randomerratum
Jun 24, 2010, 01:53 PM
The line looked like this;
| :apple: | :p;):rolleyes::mad:;):p:(:):confused::mad::rolleyes::cool::p;):(:cool:

My wife and I (both with reservations) got in line at about 5:30.. I counted abot 100 people ahead of us. The store opened at 7 and we were all checked out before 8:30

They were moving the reservation lines along pretty quick, lots of staff - and they made sure to not make us feel rushed inside... very helpful, very quick and very enthusiastic! After more then 2 hours of waiting, it was fun and exiting to get inside- the staff really made us feel like getting to the front was a proud accomplishment... and you know what? When I'm spending $199 for a product, yeah... I want it to feel awesome!

My first launch event! What a fun experience!:):):)

EDIT: And PS, this phone is ****ing awesome! I'm only having second thoughts about not getting a bumper

sslanchi
Jun 24, 2010, 02:06 PM
any update on the line here?

mvr1127
Jun 24, 2010, 02:59 PM
Reservations line still moving, walk in line srill looking about 5-6 hrs unless they change the ratio of how many people they are taking from each line.

slffl
Jun 24, 2010, 03:39 PM
Any updates on inventory would be greatly appreciated. I'll be down in Santa Monica tomorrow afternoon and was thinking about stopping by to pick one up.

caliguy82
Jun 24, 2010, 04:20 PM
slffl,

I would also like to know if there is any leftover after the madness. If anyone can ask an apple employee, that would be awesome!

LSDWolfe
Jun 24, 2010, 05:57 PM
My phone was delivered yesterday in the AM, but my wife is currently down at 3rd Street trying to pick hers up. She has a reservation, but that line hasn't moved much in an hour and she's a good 150 - 200 people back. It's packed, and apparently the walk-in line isn't moving at all. I'm wondering if activation was slowed down.

LSDWolfe
Jun 24, 2010, 05:57 PM
On the plus side, they have a ton of bumpers there!

cublah
Jun 24, 2010, 07:26 PM
Just got back from Third Street...took 3 hours for reservation line and 5 minutes in the store.

LSDWolfe
Jun 24, 2010, 08:43 PM
The walk-in line was about to get cut off when we went in. The people who walked in at 6 PM from that line arrived at 6 AM. They were going about 30 to 1 on reservations, but did have one period in which they tried to make a dent on walk-ins.

Echthros
Jun 24, 2010, 11:48 PM
Does anyone know if they'll have any in stock tomorrow, based off those who never picked up their iPhone reservations today?

juliechristie25
Jun 24, 2010, 11:50 PM

cheap wholesale T-shirts (http://www.baiyokefactory.com)

Echthros
Jun 24, 2010, 11:51 PM

cheap wholesale T-shirts (http://www.baiyokefactory.com)
Are you guys walk-ins? And the line's for the 8am opening tomorrow, yeah?

vitrector
Jun 25, 2010, 12:12 AM
I got to the store at about 6:30 PM, and the reservations line was 2-3 hours long from what I could tell.

I got a reservation so I would not have to stand in line for ever! SO I asked if I could come back later, and was told that at 9PM they would lock down the line and not let anyone else get in line. So I could come back before then.

When I got there at 8:40pm, the line had been locked down for while, and they were handing out priority passes for the tomorrow, for those with reservations. WTF, I am starting to hate Apple. The store manger had the audacity to say that due to the overwhelming reception of the iPhone they had more customers than anticipated. Hello, they had their store and day specific reservations list for over a week. They knew EXACTLY how many people would show up for the reservations line. I really hate to get such empty bs lipservice. So insulting, like I am a moron.

It is just SO disappointing that Apple does such BS. We can have long lines for the media circus for those that do not reserve or prepurchase. There is no need to aggravate loyal customers that planned ahead.

I am thinking, at the next stockholders meeting I am going to petition for corporate policy against such customer abusive behavior, it REALLY spoils the magic.

RealSkyDiver
Jun 25, 2010, 06:25 PM
or you could just have it shipped, receive before anyone else and not dealt with any stress what so ever

vitrector
Jun 25, 2010, 06:38 PM
or you could just have it shipped, receive before anyone else and not dealt with any stress what so ever

I tried that. The iPad arrived 4 days late to no fault of mine. Folks told me to just reserve one in order to take the UPS issues out of the equation. So I did.

That really worked well... NOT

LSDWolfe
Jun 25, 2010, 09:17 PM
I tried that. The iPad arrived 4 days late to no fault of mine. Folks told me to just reserve one in order to take the UPS issues out of the equation. So I did.

That really worked well... NOT

They used FedEx this time, who delivered beautifully. I had mine in hand at 9 AM Wednesday morning.

808geek
Jun 25, 2010, 09:35 PM
They used FedEx this time, who delivered beautifully. I had mine in hand at 9 AM Wednesday morning.

That's great you didn't have any Fed Ex problems. I've read on the Apple forums that over a dozen people reported having their phone stolen upon signing for delivery and they only had an empty box. That's horrible that people steal, and people have paid quite a bit of money for these phones 200-300 at the very least. I hope they catch these people stealing them and these phones are replaced to these people quickly.

I was one of the ones who was very skeptical about having it shipped because of the stealing issue so I braved the line yesterday to pick one up in store. It was insane. I'll wait tell they have them in stock without the demand next time.

macinla
Jun 28, 2010, 05:05 PM
Has anyone been to the 3rd street promenade store today? Anyone with insight on iPhone availability?

skywavesli
Jun 29, 2010, 03:55 PM
Has anyone been to the 3rd street promenade store today? Anyone with insight on iPhone availability?

Called, they're out of stock.

Can't find any place in the area that has them in stock.

terramar
Jun 29, 2010, 06:50 PM
Called, they're out of stock.

Can't find any place in the area that has them in stock.

Did you try the AT&T Store at 808 Wilshire? I walked in this morning at 9:20 and was out of the store with a 32GB phone in less than 10 minutes. No waiting at all.

Sphere777
Oct 16, 2011, 08:13 AM
Line of about 15-25 people at 3pm. They processed orders in chunks of 10 at a time, so the wait was short. In and out of the store with my phone in an hour or so.

A relatively painless experience.