Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BaMBaM

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2003
I'm experienceing a pretty long delay when logging in, launching or switching between programs on one of my G4s. (computer is thinking) Funny thing is, my other G4 (exactly the same) is fast as ever. I'm wondering if the solution might be to relaod all the programs. Office, Illustrator 10, Photoshop 7, InDesign 2. Or is there a simple fix I can do?

Any suggestions?

Mac OSX 10.2.8, Dual processor, 1.0 Ghz

BaMBaM

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2003
Your link was helpful.

Tried it. Didn't work. I'm going to Zap the P RAM next.
Any other suggestions?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
BaMBaM said:
Your link was helpful.

Tried it. Didn't work. I'm going to Zap the P RAM next.
Any other suggestions?

Is it on all the time? If not, run the cron tasks? These are regularly scheduled maintenance tasks, and they include swapping out some log type files that can get oversized if it's never done.... You can run them whenever you want from the terminal (someone help on the command -- I couldn't find the thread here) or use a program such as MacJanitor.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
mkrishnan said:
Is it on all the time? If not, run the cron tasks? These are regularly scheduled maintenance tasks, and they include swapping out some log type files that can get oversized if it's never done.... You can run them whenever you want from the terminal (someone help on the command -- I couldn't find the thread here) or use a program such as MacJanitor.
The command to eneter in to the Terminal is
Code:
sudo periodic daily weekly monthly

BaMBaM

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2003
Zapping PRAM did nothing, as far as I can tell. Any other low budget suggestions? I'm not computer savy enough to try and figure this out without risking damaging something else.
Thanks for the help.

BaMBaM

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2003
mkrishnan, No the computer is not always on. Actually, i just fired it up for the first time in 8-10 months. We're getting an intern and i needed to get it up to speed. It had this problem before, but the person using it never found a solution. Now they're gone and I'm all by my self trying to figure this out.

I'm sorry, but I do not know what cron tasks are, and i've been unable to find out what the command is. Someone Know?
Thanks again for all the suggestions...this is the place to come for help!

BaMBaM

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2003
edesignuk,
I'm sorry, but I don't see anything in the box under "Code:"
Am I missing something?

I know....NEWBIE!

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
BaMBaM said:
edesignuk,
I'm sorry, but I don't see anything in the box under "Code:"
Am I missing something?

I know....NEWBIE!
That's very odd :confused: It's there, I can see it, how about anyone else?

Anyway, this is what you need to enter:

sudo periodic daily weekly monthly

:)

Flynnstone

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2003
Cold beer land
How about firing up "Activity Monitor" n Applications -> Utilities.
It will show what is using up cpu cycles.
Also if it is not the logged on user using the cpu you should select "All Processes" from the popup menu selector.

HTH

BaMBaM

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2003
edesignuk-

<<That's very odd It's there, I can see it, how about anyone else?

sudo periodic daily weekly monthly>>

Everything in <<>> is what I can see. No command. This is frustrating.

Flynnstone- Activity monitor is up and nothing looks like it's sucking up a bunch of %CPU or %Memory

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
BaMBaM said:
edesignuk-

<<That's very odd It's there, I can see it, how about anyone else?

sudo periodic daily weekly monthly>>

Everything in <<>> is what I can see. No command. This is frustrating.
Are you saying you can't see this bit - "sudo periodic daily weekly monthly" - in my last post (where I didn't use the
Code:
 tags???

BaMBaM

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2003
Yes, I can see "sudo periodic daily weekly monthly". If that is what I need...What do I do with it? (man, one can sure go from feeling pretty compitent to NOT in a very short period!)
Thanks for being patient.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
BaMBaM said:
Yes, I can see "sudo periodic daily weekly monthly". If that is what I need...What do I do with it? (man, one can sure go from feeling pretty compitent to NOT in a very short period!)
Thanks for being patient.
Open up the Terminal.app (Applications > Utilities), and paste that command in the window (without the speech marks), hit return, enter your password, and let it do its job :)

JeDiBoYTJ

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2004
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
What I would do as a last resort is just completely format and reinstall OSX, then reinstall all the programs you need, that should bring your computer back up to perfect speed again, unless the problem is Hardware related, but I doubt it.

BaMBaM

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2003
edesignuk,
It worked! Cool, very cool. Thanks for the help!

Also, kingjr3, I'm downloading MAC Janitor

Again, Thanks for the help!

Catch ya later

neut

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2001
here (for now)
next time you leave a computer sitting around for months at a time i'll gladly take it off your hands. :)

computers like it when you use them...

peace.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.