PDA

View Full Version : Power Mac G5 ECC Ram Blinking Lights

schmidty11
Jun 19, 2010, 12:25 AM
Hi all,
I haven't made many posts here, but I know this is an excellent site. I have a Power Mac G5, Dual 1.8 GHz PPC (June 2004). I found some (4x1GB sticks) PC3200 Samsung Ram for it. I put it in the computer, turned it on, and the power light flashed twice, waited a while, then flashed twice again and kept cycling. After looking around a while I saw that that probably means it is incompatible ram (?). The ram that I have has an "R" after PC3200. Is this a problem? Anyways, back to my story, So I put the ram back in that I originally had running and it does the same thing (with the flashing lights). I had to go at this point so I said f-it and I will work on the problem on Sunday or Monday. It is just bothering me why it is not working. Can anyone provide any insight? It may just be that the ram isn't properly seated. I really hope that is the problem, but if any of you have any suggestions, please let me know.

Thank you in advance!

PS: Information that was on the Samsung Ram:
PC3200R-30331-C3 1GB DDR PC3200 CL3 ECC

KR. M312l2920CZ3-CC. 0616

666sheep
Jun 19, 2010, 05:08 PM
Wrong RAM.
ECC is not supported on Dual Processor.

schmidty11
Jun 19, 2010, 06:09 PM
Wrong RAM.
ECC is not supported on Dual Processor.

Ok, well I was really hoping it wasn't that and there was a way for it to treat the ram as being "non-ECC"; but it really looks like there is not a way.

Thanks for your help.

schmidty11
Jun 19, 2010, 08:08 PM
Would you happen to know if the Power Mac G5 (Dual 1.8 GHz PPC, June 2004) supports Low or High Density RAM? Well, obviously it will support Low, but does it support High as well?

Thank you.

MacHamster68
Jun 20, 2010, 05:33 AM
no it doesn't support high density , same for any other mac as far as i know
and neither do the majority of pc's
high density ram is used in servers and is cheap as chips and sold everywhere to make a quick profit , as people see the price and go for it , but in 99.9%of all cases it doest work in normal computers

so just ignore any sales of high density ram , unless you got enough money to throw the ram modules in the bin all the time , as thats the only thing you really can do with high density ram