Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

parajba

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 19, 2008
Hi everybody,

I'm trying to install Windows XP via BootCamp, I thought was a relatively easy task, but I'm having headaches before even starting.

I run the BootCamp Assistant program, I select the size of the partition for Windows (30GB, plenty for my needs), click OK then I have the following error message.

The disk cannot be partitioned because some files cannot be moved.

Back up the disk and use Disk Utility to format it as a single Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume. Restore your information to the disk and try using Boot Camp Assistant again.

Now, it's a brand new MBP with virtually no new sw on it (Pixelmator and Office 2008), I haven't touched anything. How is it possible that BootCamp that comes with this OS is not working properly without some jiggery-poker?

Very disappointed about BootCamp...first impression is not so good unfortunately.

parajba

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 19, 2008
I fixed it. I post the solution in case someone else needs it.

Popped in the Mac OS disc 1, executed 'Repair Disk', then 'Repair Disk Permission' both from Utilities menu, all good now.

vistadude

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2010
Thanks you! This is one of those errors that is completely mystical, but no one has a good solution to solve it other than a wipe. This is great you could do a logical solution and it works!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.