PDA

View Full Version : Do you have screen protector?

AppleHater
Jun 19, 2010, 09:45 AM
Do you use screen protector for your iPad? I am not currently trusting the anti-scratch coating, but not sure.

sracer
Jun 19, 2010, 09:48 AM
Do you use screen protector for your iPad? I am not currently trusting the anti-scratch coating, but not sure.
I'm not. I had one on temporarily, but I didn't like the feel of the protector nor did I care for how it reduced the sharpness of the image on the screen.

I use a folio case (Macally Bookstand) to protect the screen when not in use.

jimHdk
Jun 19, 2010, 09:57 AM

What anti-scratch coating? The screen is glass with an oleophobic coating.

The glass screen won't scratch easily under normal use (unless, perhaps, if used in a rock quarry).

I use no screen protector and haven't had any problems. However, I'd recommend a case to protect the whole iPad and screen from damage. The Apple case is nice but a bit pricey.

JonMPLS
Jun 19, 2010, 10:00 AM
Just agreeing with a previous post. I did have one for 1 day, but like the look and feel so much better without that I am going naked. I do have a couple of folio style cases on order which will help.

Maziar
Jun 19, 2010, 10:02 AM
I don't use a screen protector , because i think it will reduce the sensitivity a bit, also the screen is scratch-resistant AFAIK

harry*333
Jun 19, 2010, 10:07 AM
Not yet
Let it be known that the glass cannot be scratched easily, but the oleophobic coating can scratch very easily, and over time it can rub off leaving a very nasty looking screen
Power support makes very good screen protectors, they don't affect sensitivity or viewing capabilities and its static cling so its very easy to put on

harry*333
Jun 19, 2010, 10:13 AM
Here look at this
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=910095&highlight=

Chris.L
Jun 19, 2010, 10:16 AM
I received and applied the power support anti-glare film today. I love it. I have one on my iPhone as well and now wouldn't use either without.

No reduction in screen responsiveness and I find it easier to use

RoarinRow
Jun 19, 2010, 10:32 AM
I don't. I have one on my iPhone 3GS and don't like the way it has turned out over time. At first I got it for peace of mind to prevent scratches. If I had to do it all over again, I would not apply the protector, just naked like I have the rest of it.

iFerd
Jun 19, 2010, 10:38 AM
I use and like the Power Support anti glare on my iPhone, but I don't use a screen protector on my iPad. I di have it in an Apple case, but I wasn't worried before I got the case anyway. The iPad doesn't get shoved in my pocketful of coins and keys.

Hey Jude
Jun 19, 2010, 10:41 AM
I used a screen protector once on an iPod, but I now prefer to go without on my iPhones and now, iPad. I think SPs are a waste of money, and have had no issues with my screens going without one.

Jude

Moomba
Jun 19, 2010, 10:52 AM
I had an anti-glare one on my iPhone and recently remove it after almost 2 years. Frankly, I prefer the protector on it and want to put a new one on. I have the Zagg one on my iPad and it's decent. It's a quirky feel, but I've gotten used to it. I still prefer the anti-glare ones to the straight protectors personally.

marcopolo007uk
Jun 19, 2010, 10:55 AM
I use one and I find it does not hamper the sensitivity of the screen at all, I think it does cut down on the glare in sunlight a little. I only use it for the extra peace mind it gives (imagined?) not for any other reason really.

I reviewed it at www.iPad-review.co.uk

wrkactjob
Jun 19, 2010, 11:26 AM
I'm in an Apple store using an iPad that has been used and abused by the public for months. No protection no marks.

Really what is the point of protective film? When it's on you can't even see the fingerprints!

Southern Dad
Jun 19, 2010, 12:23 PM
One of the reasons for purchasing my iPad was the crystal clear display. I certainly don't want to do anything to detract from that.

ACbc
Jun 19, 2010, 12:25 PM
I use a screen protector. Not to protect the screen though. I couldn't stand the amount of glare and fingerprints. The screen protector took care of both problems.

b00st3d
Jun 19, 2010, 01:26 PM
Power support anti glare here on my iPad and iPhone...I actually find it easier to swipe my finger with the protector on. Without the protector sometimes my finger would almost like stick while scrolling fast. I also like how fingerprints don't show up as much with the protector.

emaja
Jun 19, 2010, 01:44 PM
I use the Power Support on my iPad and like it. It has a very small rainbow effect, but not enough to notice unless you look for it.

I have used Zagg in the past on my iPhone, but now that I see the Power Support, I really notice the orange-peel on the Zagg.

I have one from Wrapsol and one from Power Support on order. I will be ordering the SGP Steinheil EX Ultra Crystal as soon as it comes available. It is scheduled to be in stock June 24. We'll see about that.

Why? I just wanted to see the differences. Everyone has an opinion on which is best, so I wanted to try them for myself.

richardmu
Jun 19, 2010, 01:50 PM
Apple case and nothing else. Fingerprints easily wipe off with a microfiber cloth. A bit of glare but nothing I can't live with.

My 1st gen Touch has never had a screen protector only a Vaja holster for the back And there is not a mark on it.

leons
Jun 19, 2010, 02:34 PM
explain please?

...I really notice the orange-peel on the Zagg.

emaja
Jun 19, 2010, 02:54 PM
Just as it sounds. Instead of having a very smooth surface, it is very bumpy looking.

I found a nice review with good pics of the orange peel effect here (http://justanotheriphoneblog.com/wordpress/2008/03/07/review-full-body-invisibleshield-for-iphone).

I don't mind the increased drag - in fact I kinda like it - but the orange peel is starting to get to me.

Tebailey
Jun 19, 2010, 03:08 PM
No chance.. I paid to use this device not keep it perfect for resale... I don't have car seat covers either.

Tom

AppleHater
Jun 19, 2010, 11:51 PM
No chance.. I paid to use this device not keep it perfect for resale... I don't have car seat covers either.

Tom

Your comment reminds me of people buying carpet guard for cars.

macpluslaptop
Jun 22, 2010, 06:59 AM
I have a Power Support antiglare protector, and I love it. No more mirror effect. On a screen as large as the iPad, that's important. To me.

Bytor65
Jun 22, 2010, 09:53 AM
I have a 10 year old GPS, with a plastic screen that was never protected. It still looks fine.

There is no need to protect the screen.

The only reason I can see to get a "protector" is to change it from a glossy screen to a matte screen (but I wouldn't bother with that either).

Outrigger
Jun 22, 2010, 12:13 PM
I bought the Powersupport Antiglare, not to protect the screen but I couldn't stand the glare as well as the amount of fingerprints on the screen itself. Very pricey but worth the money and it makes it easier to slide my finger as the pure glass of the ipad itself sometimes made it hard if my fingers had moisture on it.

hughfan
Jun 22, 2010, 12:21 PM
I bought the PowerSupport Crystal one and am very happy with it. Installation went better than I expected and within only a few hours all air bubbles had disappeared. I don't notice any difference in the feel of the screen at all, and it doesn't seem to get nearly as many smears and prints as the naked screen did. It doesn't seem to attract as much dust, either.

Zillio
Jun 22, 2010, 12:22 PM
I do not use a screen protector. My ipads screen now has two scratches on it not sure how it happened but I was bit pissed when I found out.

Zodiak
Jun 22, 2010, 12:45 PM
I've had 3 ipod touch which I took VERY good care of so I knew from experience. Even with the best care I could, the screen protector i have has scratches on it and the back of the ipod touch is riddled with hairline scratches.

Front AND Back protection for me, YES SIR! :)

foiden
Jun 22, 2010, 01:32 PM
I'd might be inclined to do so if I didn't already have it in a case. For me, the screen protector doesn't really help me when I'm using it, and I close the case when I'm not using it. The glass is highly scratch resistant, so I figure even at worst, if the time comes when any kind of imperfection hits the screen, I'll have no problem having them do the repairs. Screen replacement seems relatively cheap particularly since I don't expect to have to do that often enough to be a cost issue.

Still, I'd be more concerned if I didn't have a case, nor the ability to ever cover the screen. The case, however, makes me not worry about it.

Bitgod
Jun 22, 2010, 03:16 PM
I put screen protectors on anything that's a touch screen or most mobile devices, I'm psycho like that. I even cut up some protector film and put it on the touch screen of my new dual-din car radio. I figure I'd rather have greasy fingers on that than the real screen.

raymond lin
Jun 22, 2010, 03:19 PM
I do not use a screen protector. My ipads screen now has two scratches on it not sure how it happened but I was bit pissed when I found out.

Do you wipe with tissues?

Zillio
Jun 23, 2010, 12:16 PM

Nope microfiber cloths.

emaja
Jun 23, 2010, 01:44 PM

Never use any paper product to clean a screen of any kind - or glasses for that matter. Paper is remarkably abrasive.

I only use a microfiber cloth - and if needed - a little bit of water applied directly to the cloth never to the screen itself.

mashinhead
Jun 24, 2010, 01:41 AM
I use the speck antiglare film because it was the easiest to apply. I don't really use it to prevent scratches. I put it on to combat the fingerprints, which are insane.

FirePak
Jun 24, 2010, 02:08 AM
I have one it does help with the glare but the main reason is I have a 2 year old and i feel like extra protection cant hurt if he gets ahold of it.

sebgreen
Jun 24, 2010, 04:57 AM
Using a full body invisable shield.

Love it. iPad feels naked, but is actually protected.