PDA

View Full Version : $99!!! Flash Ipod is Coming!!!!

ministerd
Oct 21, 2004, 02:19 PM
they only thing I can't figure out is.. will it be the 256mb or 512mb...

my guess is 256mb.. apple always wants those killer margins...

edesignuk
Oct 21, 2004, 02:23 PM
...riiiiiiiiiight...

jeremy.king
Oct 21, 2004, 02:27 PM
...riiiiiiiiiight...

No creative newb graphic? :(

Blue Velvet
Oct 21, 2004, 02:35 PM
Where's the beef?

Wasteland, surely...

Macmaniac
Oct 21, 2004, 02:35 PM
Here this might suffice.

titaniumducky
Oct 21, 2004, 02:37 PM
Here this might suffice. :D

UGLY! It just doesn't feel right to call THAT an iPod.

ministerd
Oct 21, 2004, 02:38 PM
Expect flash-based iPod by Christmas - analyst

By Karen Haslam

An analyst has reaffirmed his belief that Apple is set to launch a flash-based music player before Christmas.

Thomas Weisel market analyst Jason Pflaum said: "I recently spent two weeks in Asia meeting with a number of folks who are in a position to know details of SigmaTel's supply chain. Based on our industry contacts, we are confident that, one, Apple is planning to launch a flash-based player, and two, SigmaTel is the provider of controller chip for that device."

Pflaum also restated to clients his belief that Apple will release the flash-based player before Christmas. "It's a very tight supply chain, but I think this product from Apple will come out by the end of the year. That could obviously change, but we're pretty confident this will happen and you'll see product on the shelves in December," he told Mac Observer.

A new player, using solid-state flash memory, will have less capacity than the existing iPod and iPod mini, but it is likely to be lighter and cheaper. In line with company policy, Apple has not offered comment on the claims.

Pflaum estimates such a manufacturing deal with Apple could be a $2- to $4-million revenue opportunity for SigmaTel. "The forecast is conservative at best."

Sinificant music-related news is expected from Apple next week. The company will hold an 'special music event' on October 26 in the US and similary themed, possibly linked, events are set to be held by Apple offices in other countries. :)

it's coming.... I know what gifts I will be leaving under little trees :)

Blue Velvet
Oct 21, 2004, 02:44 PM
Would have been helpful to actually have the link to that article.

Still, I'm sceptical... an analyst's beliefs don't add up to much.

iMeowbot
Oct 21, 2004, 02:44 PM
Okay, this one was covered on page 1 (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2004/10/20041001170829.shtml) a few weeks ago.

That thread uncovered this press release (http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/041001/15248_1.html) from the same day that announces a partnership with Rio.

That doesn't necessarily mean that Apple aren't working with Sigmatel too, but Rio already sell some players based on that platform and it wouldn't be at sll surprising if they were to introduce more iPod-like things.

benbondu
Oct 21, 2004, 02:47 PM
256MB seems way too small to be worthwhile. 512 is better but not by much. The reason I like my iPod is that I can carry my entire music collection on it. Even the iPod mini is capable of storing days of music. There are already a bunch of small capacity flash mp3 players on the market for a lot less than $100.

On the other hand, one from Apple would mean iTunes compatibility. Maybe there is a market for it after all.

Blue Velvet
Oct 21, 2004, 02:51 PM
So, if true, this would play AACs from iTMS as well as MP3s?

This would be the key to leveraging iTMS into virtually everybody's reach.

The mini's are still too expensive for casual gifts...

iMeowbot
Oct 21, 2004, 02:55 PM
So, if true, this would play AACs from iTMS as well as MP3s?
I don't see why. The existing iPod platform has been capable of WMA since day one (as in the software is written and available), but Apple have chosen not to implement it.

Jalexster
Oct 21, 2004, 02:57 PM
Why cares about buying one for yourself, it's a great christmas present!

If apple bundles it with an iTMS credit in the box, it would be THE Perfect Chirstmas Present!

t300
Oct 21, 2004, 03:05 PM
The first four letters in analyst spell....

Yes.

ministerd
Oct 21, 2004, 03:45 PM
apple already dominates the Mp3 markets...

and the HD part of is all apple (95%?)

there is NO presense in the flash market... so why not

why not sell a $99 flash mp3, it won't really hurt the mini..

the mini is the BEST mp3 in the market...

but how does apple lose if they come out with a cheap flashPod?

you know it will be good, apple is going to make it.. but it's a winner.. if somehow you can get it to $79.. oh man, I am going to make a lot of little nieces and nephews happy this Christmas

aswitcher
Oct 21, 2004, 04:41 PM
Given Steve's views such a device I really doubt this. The costs just dont pan out...

OZ dollars - US:OZ, add x~0.7 for US

In Oz dollars MP3 players
a 256 goes for $125
a 512 is under $190 (~USD $140).
No 1 Gigs...

Halve these for USB2 pen disks.

So the whole deal would have to come in Sub $250 or better yet sub $200 ($140 USD) to be attractive against the competition in Oz.

The Mini goes for $340 in some places so a flash really should be > $200 maybe $220 like the AX.

So I guess if they do it a 512 is likely to be the best they can do else they run up against the fair more attractive mini

And I doubt it will have other features like Fm radio and audio recorder which the original prices I quite have...

Sorry, unless Steve has some HUGE order (with appropriate cost savings) for a minimal profit flash drive unit, and has them in bulk for Christmas, this is not a issue for this year...

Anyway, IF he does have something up his sleeve it should be announced soon with the U2 thingy