PDA

View Full Version : Pioneer to produce OLED phone screens next year

MacBytes
Oct 21, 2004, 02:26 PM
Category: 3rd Party Hardware
Link: Pioneer to produce OLED phone screens next year (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20041021152632)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

nagromme
Oct 21, 2004, 06:46 PM
Anyone know if OLED displays still have longevity problems?

Last I heard, if used for hours a day like a laptop, they wear out in about a year! For handheld devices that don't get long use, they may not be so bad.

I hope they can get the issues worked out... I'd love brighter, cheaper, low-power flat monitors.

Sol
Oct 22, 2004, 12:04 AM
With a resolution of 320 by 240 these new OLED screens sound perfect for portable gaming, video and general PDAs. The limited life-span would not be such a big problem because by the time the display starts looking worn-out it would be time to upgrade to a better model of the device it is a part of.

I wonder if they would be more expensive than conventional LCD displays.

iMeowbot
Oct 22, 2004, 12:32 AM
Anyone know if OLED displays still have longevity problems?
With RGB? Definitely, especially the blue.

Pioneer are rating these displays for "over 10000 hours" of life. There are 8760 hours in a year, so this isn't something you want on a display that's running a all the time. For intermittent use like on a phone, it will probably be fine.

Mainyehc
Oct 22, 2004, 07:58 AM
For intermittent use like on a phone, it will probably be fine. Or... a colour screen iPod!!
edit: I realize that I'm contradicting myself... If you use an OLED colour screen iPod, you will have to turn it on a lot more often than you would using a phone, unless you only listen to that "Shuffle Library" thing ;), thus, my curiosity about power consumption. However, longevity would still be an issue.

Oh, and btw, there's something that makes me wonder about wether OLED screens are that great... If you use an LCD screen, monochrome or colour, in a portable device, like a phone or iPod, you will be able to look at the screen and actually *see* something without the backlight turned on.

Now, with an OLED screen, that shouldn't be possible, right? As the light is emmited by the screen *itself*, every time you take the device out of your pocket you will have to touch some button or something to turn on its screen. Not that it's something hard to do, it would just feel a bit awkward, IMHO. Having to do that with my iPod if I want to check a track name, or with my phone everytime I want to see what time is it, especially if respectively the hold switch is on or the kb is blocked... :rolleyes:

Does anyone know if the power consumption of an OLED screen is smaller than that of a LCD screen with its backlight (or frontlight, or whatever) turned off?

Little Endian
Oct 22, 2004, 11:08 AM
OLED is very interesting but seeing OLED displays for Computers is a long way off maybe next decade we will Have 30" OLED Computer displays in 2cm thick enclousures or better yet ones that actually can be folded or rolled up.

http://www.ownt.com/qtakes/2001/foldable_lcd/foldable.shtm