PDA

View Full Version : 100 GB Portable Music Player introduced

MacBytes
Oct 21, 2004, 03:13 PM
Category: 3rd Party Hardware
Link: 100 GB Portable Music Player introduced (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20041021161335)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

Mudbug
Oct 21, 2004, 03:17 PM
the double dosage of butt-ugliness is a nice touch. :)

edesignuk
Oct 21, 2004, 03:19 PM
the double dosage of butt-ugliness is a nice touch. :)May not be the best looking thing in the world, but it's not that bad, and US$299 for 100GB is a fantastic price.

edit: hold on, just read the comment that has been left, apparently the 100GB is US$449, now it sucks in every way :D :p

Earendil
Oct 21, 2004, 03:34 PM
May not be the best looking thing in the world, but it's not that bad, and US$299 for 100GB is a fantastic price.

edit: hold on, just read the comment that has been left, apparently the 100GB is US$449, now it sucks in every way :D :p

still, that's a heluva lot more than the iPod. Plus being able to record audio line in as well as from the FM tuner would be awesome.

Many many more features than the iPod, and this time around, it actually cost a lot less per gig than the iPod...

I think Apple needs to pick up on just a few of these features in at least a few of the iPods just so they can say "yeah, we have that too". Even if no one will USE the features, we don't want people not buying an iPod because other players can "Do More" for less money.

But that's just mho,
~Tyler

stoid
Oct 21, 2004, 03:41 PM
AFAIK they don't make iPod size drives in 100GB capacity, heck they're just starting to crank out 60GB in that form factor. I'm guessing that this is a 2.5" laptop drive which means that this beast is going to be quite a bit larger than the iPod.

zelmo
Oct 21, 2004, 03:53 PM
AFAIK they don't make iPod size drives in 100GB capacity, heck they're just starting to crank out 60GB in that form factor. I'm guessing that this is a 2.5" laptop drive which means that this beast is going to be quite a bit larger than the iPod.

http://www.digmind.com/store/index_500.html

5" x 3.2" x 0.8", 9 ounces

the ugliness is drastically magnified by it's huge and unwieldly size.

And yes, a 2.5" hard drive.

I'll agree that Apple needs to do something (bigger drive, mic, FM, etc.) to shut up all of these pretenders who are nipping at their market share, but not if it is as butt-ugly as this one. And not to replace the iPod line, but an affiliated line, so the iPurists can have their mp3-only player and be happy.

munkle
Oct 21, 2004, 04:48 PM
I can't believe that they've got 100GB and still choose to advertise the amount of music it can hold by using WMA at 64 kb/s...my ears, my ears!! :eek: ;) :D

space2go
Oct 21, 2004, 05:43 PM
Hmm the look is a bit strange but hey it needs no special software or tricks to get music on and off it, it has a builtin radio, can record (builtin mic, line-in and radio), plays ogg too (no aac though) and has an upgradable hdd (can't actually use more than 137GB though).
And if you happen to have a laptop hdd around or think you get them cheaper than they you can even buy one without any preinstalled disk for 150.
And even assuming the advertised 22 hours playtime are double the reality it's still decent.
Firewire would have been nice but otherwise a good offer IMO.

Might even buy one if tests show there are no hassles opening the thing up and installing a hdd.

Edot
Oct 21, 2004, 06:10 PM
This thing is enormous. Cut out a piece of paper 5"x3.2" and tell me that you would like to carry that around. Not to mention it is almost 1" thick! "

"25,000 songs, in a wagon behind you.." :rolleyes:

I like the comparison chart on their site too. It compares to the 3G iPods, but also this is funny.

Power Output

DMC--10mw/ch output (RMS)

iPod--30mw per channel (Peak)

RMS!?? As i recall RMS of a sinusoidal wave is Peak/square-root(2), so the DMC is actually 14.14mw (Peak). Guess they didn't want you to know that. Of course if the wave form is more complex that conversion may be incorrect, but still. Why would they do that?

nagromme
Oct 21, 2004, 07:01 PM
I'll agree that Apple needs to do something (bigger drive, mic, FM, etc.) to shut up all of these pretenders who are nipping at their market share, but not if it is as butt-ugly as this one.

I hope Apple comes out with a 60 GB player. And once in two years I'd use FM or a mic. But the people who really DEMAND any of those things are only a fraction of the market. Most people are thinking of digital music--the core purpose of the device--more than the "extras"... and Apple has "extras" other players lack, too, of course.

But even if Apple could win over the entire fraction of people who insist on >40 GB or a mic... how much would their market share grow from 92%? :D

PS, I'll accept a heftier iPod if that's the way to cram in 60 GB. But NOT a massive beast like this player!

chanoc
Oct 21, 2004, 08:16 PM
Nice, but it does not support AIFF audio? ****, with a 100GB drive I would never compress anything! For now I will stay with my cheap (35.00) Coby portable CD player (CD-R/RW, Mp3, Audio, and FM/AM).

Abstract
Oct 21, 2004, 08:23 PM

That's exactly what I was thinking.

Nobody knows magic, so I hope nobody is amazed by this player. To make this player, it has to be larger to offer these features, capacity, and battery life. Plain and simple. There's no other way to go at it right now.

This is a brick.

Bunzi2k4
Oct 22, 2004, 12:18 AM
That's exactly what I was thinking.

Nobody knows magic, so I hope nobody is amazed by this player.
This is a brick.

AMAZING!!!!! a 100 gig mp3 player would be sick. but i think i'll just stick with my ipod :cool:

macridah
Oct 22, 2004, 12:21 AM
The specs sound good, but that's about it. That player looks like crap compared to any iPod.

Sir_Giggles
Oct 22, 2004, 12:29 AM
Please stop it with all the comments about lack of FM for iPods. Nobody buys an iPod or an HD-based music player so they can listen to the radio! You buy an iPod so you don't have to listen to the radio! Duh! Man, there are so many stupid people trolling around here.

You can go to any local electronics store, like Best Buy or Futureshop and pick up an FM player for under $50 and it'll be a quarter the size of a Mini.

Would FM be a nice addition to an iPod? Not really, because there are devices for playing FM broadcasts that can do it better and cheaper than an iPod. The only radio broadcasts that I would want to see for the iPods are Airport enabled so I can listen to satellite radio broadcasts. That would be the only great use for the iPod as a radio device.

solvs
Oct 22, 2004, 12:57 AM
This is a laptop drive. And for anyone thinking it's only a little bigger than an iPod, trust me, it would make a difference. Remember there were 2.5" drives for MP3 players before, and they sucked. I think others still make them, but nobody buys them.

For those wanting a radio or mic, there are peripherals for that. If you want it, buy an FMXtra or iTalk. If you don't, and just want an MP3 player, the iPod has the best interface and is one of the thinnest/smallest. The only low point is battery life, but again there are add-ons for that too, and they seem to be addressing that anyway. I'm expecting the next rev to have even better battery life.

Macs R Us
Oct 22, 2004, 01:26 AM
Thats the ugliest POS iPod want to be, I have ever seen... And I think 100 gig is to much... I think they need to work on that product and make it look better... If any thing... The iPod is still the best :rolleyes: ...

iMeowbot
Oct 22, 2004, 01:48 AM
Nice, but it does not support AIFF audio?
It's got WAV which is pretty much the same thing, but they don't mention any lossless compressed formats. Hmm.

J.Allen
Oct 22, 2004, 03:39 AM
but they don't mention any lossless compressed formats. Hmm.
There is no such thing as lossles compression. Your only kidding yourself.

space2go
Oct 22, 2004, 04:19 AM
And what do you think gzip, zip, rar, arj and countless other tools do?

srobert
Oct 22, 2004, 07:57 AM
Please stop it with all the comments about lack of FM for iPods. Nobody buys an iPod or an HD-based music player so they can listen to the radio! You buy an iPod so you don't have to listen to the radio! Duh! Man, there are so many stupid people trolling around here.

You can go to any local electronics store, like Best Buy or Futureshop and pick up an FM player for under $50 and it'll be a quarter the size of a Mini.

Would FM be a nice addition to an iPod? Not really, because there are devices for playing FM broadcasts that can do it better and cheaper than an iPod. The only radio broadcasts that I would want to see for the iPods are Airport enabled so I can listen to satellite radio broadcasts. That would be the only great use for the iPod as a radio device.

I personally don't need a FM tuner in my iPod but I can see why some people would. A FM tuner would allow them to listen to news broadcast, weather, etc... There are also some good shows on Radio worth listening to. Sure, they could buy one of those cheap FM radio you are referring too but it would mean having to carry around an extra gizmo on your belt. I see your point but please consider that people wishing for a FM capable iPod are not necessarily Stupid*or Trolls. I've seen such wishes from very respected, valued, and/or senior members of this forum. Adding the FM tuner would probably not take anything away from the iPod you love and I'm pretty sure it would not add to the price tag. It would also remove the second most complained about item from the "CON" column of iPods reviews. (First one being battery life).

An FM tuner is definitely not absolutely necessary... but then again, so aren't the shoes I'm wearing. They sure are a nice addition though.

My respectful 2 cents.

Sol
Oct 22, 2004, 08:19 AM
I would need three or four of these to hold my entire CD library in the uncompressed WAV format. If Apple made something like this it could offer lossless AAC which would more or less halve the space requirement.

Not that there is a need for it. The current iPods sound good enough with lossy AAC.

iMeowbot
Oct 22, 2004, 08:55 AM
Of all the beliefs I see floating around the net, the above is one of the most strange, since lossless compression is easily verified without any special equipment, listening tests or elaborate software.

zelmo
Oct 22, 2004, 09:14 AM
I hope Apple comes out with a 60 GB player. And once in two years I'd use FM or a mic. But the people who really DEMAND any of those things are only a fraction of the market. Most people are thinking of digital music--the core purpose of the device--more than the "extras"... and Apple has "extras" other players lack, too, of course.

But even if Apple could win over the entire fraction of people who insist on >40 GB or a mic... how much would their market share grow from 92%? :D

PS, I'll accept a heftier iPod if that's the way to cram in 60 GB. But NOT a massive beast like this player!

I, too, have little use for an FM tuner or external mic in my iPod (or a color screen for that matter - I won't upgrade because of color, but if the next one I buy is color, that's cool), but I recognize that there are people out there who at least believe they want and need those things. And those people are not going to buy an iPod because it doesn't do most or all of the things they think they want in a music player. They put FM tuners in the Walkman because people wanted it, and it sold pretty well. There is clearly a market to be tapped here, and if Apple is not offering a solution, then they are losing sales, and eroding market share.
There were over 300,000,000 walkman type devices sold. How many iPods so far? Seems like Apple has a 92% share of a barely-scratched-surface of a huge market. The last thing they can afford to do is kick back and think they have made the perfect player that only needs storage upgrades to stay on top.

eroyce
Oct 22, 2004, 10:12 AM
Since not many people have spoken up as potential users of an FM tuner, I will speak up myself. I listen to the radio all the time, probably 50% of my listening is to NPR, sports talk, news, business reports, and even crappy morning shows from time to time. Tuners are such small devices, and they fit with the purpose of the iPod to enrich our ears. Right now I do have to carry extra accessories so I can use my cell phone to listen to the radio when I go on walks, and my iPod gets left at home. I feel that more important than 60 GB drives, photos, and video capabilities, a built in radio should be a priority for Apple. Also if you notice, it supports OGG, which while I care next to nothing for this format, would certainly help bring in new users and continue to grow the iPOd market share. Up to this point, I have been fine without a built in radio tuner, but I am starting to get to the point where it is no longer acceptable to not have such a feature. Ok, there are my $.02 - Oh, and this new machine does look ugly, but sometimes functionality does win out over form, and I hope Apple is able to see the potential threat that this will create.

joker2
Oct 22, 2004, 10:39 AM
For those wanting a radio or mic, there are peripherals for that. If you want it, buy an FMXtra or iTalk.

Thanks for pointing the FM-Xtra out, I'd been looking for something like this, or something similar that would be an in-line product to plug the earphones/buds into. I just ordered one, and will see how its reception is. I depend on radio for the ever changing weather, news and traffic reports... but have a reliable source for those (thank you WTOP) at predictable times. The rest of the time, I'd just like to listen to my own music.

solvs
Oct 23, 2004, 01:31 PM
Thanks for pointing the FM-Xtra out.
No problem. I hear the first version wasn't great, but for the casual listener, it shouldn't be much worse than a walkman or cheapy car radio. Everyone else who must have a radio in their next MP3 player should look into getting one (they're about $20 on Amazon) and no worse than what would come with the others than have built in radio.