PDA

View Full Version : Older iTunes versions being shut out, Apple warns

MacBytes
Oct 21, 2004, 03:32 PM
Category: Apple Software
Link: Older iTunes versions being shut out, Apple warns (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20041021163230)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

nagromme
Oct 21, 2004, 06:56 PM
Since the iTunes store is a combination of remote software on Apple's end, and local software on your computer, it make sense that Apple would sometimes have to update both together. One might well not work with an older version of the other.

That's OK, as long as non-store stuff--and playing your existing music--doesn't stop working if you choose not to upgrade. I'm sure none of that will be lost. (Plus iTunes updates are free.)

It's nice that Apple's giving warning, though, if the store will be changing on Tuesday.

And it sounds like there will NOT be a new iTunes app on tuesday, or Apple would have waited until then before reminding people to upgrade. It sounds like a change on Apple's end, with the necessary stuff ALREADY present in the current iTunes app--as long as you have the current version.

Porchland
Oct 21, 2004, 11:08 PM
And it sounds like there will NOT be a new iTunes app on tuesday, or Apple would have waited until then before reminding people to upgrade. It sounds like a change on Apple's end, with the necessary stuff ALREADY present in the current iTunes app--as long as you have the current version.

My first thought when I saw the announcement was, "Why not wait a week and download the new version?" I wonder if the current version has some sort of auto-update function that no knows about yet.

SilvorX
Oct 21, 2004, 11:10 PM
I'm pretty sure there will be some people out there who wont even bother upgrading, and if they use a PC and use iTMS frequently, could end up using a competitor's service.. that's just my thought though

Sol
Oct 21, 2004, 11:25 PM
Apple could be dropping support for the older iTunes because the latest QuickTime may be necessary for whatever gets announced in the next week.

bousozoku
Oct 22, 2004, 12:01 AM
Apple could be dropping support for the older iTunes because the latest QuickTime may be necessary for whatever gets announced in the next week.

They could be dropping support for iTunes version 4.0, which allows sharing beyond your local subnet, in order to strengthen their case with the RIAA and other recording companies' associations.

Sol
Oct 22, 2004, 12:12 AM
They could be dropping support for iTunes version 4.0, which allows sharing beyond your local subnet, in order to strengthen their case with the RIAA and other recording companies' associations.

Apple have allready made enough concessions to the music industry by limiting the number of times DRM AAC files can be burned to CDs, taking out network sharing, etc. Apple has allready proven to be a viable platform to sell music online and if the RIAA has any concerns about piracy they should be looking at Microsoft's products and users instead.

I hope that the next iTunes can guarantee compatibility with Copy-Protected audio discs. A few months ago Microvision was announcing that compatibility with iPods was an upcoming feature so I hope now is the time they deliver on that promise.

nagromme
Oct 22, 2004, 12:53 AM
My first thought when I saw the announcement was, "Why not wait a week and download the new version?" I wonder if the current version has some sort of auto-update function that no knows about yet.

Or simpler yet, maybe the changes next week are only at the server end.

And re losing some iTMS users by requiring an upgrade--yes, some, but the warning helps that. And losing a few is worth it to permit adding new functionality or markets to draw new users.

iMeowbot
Oct 22, 2004, 01:28 AM
IIRC, the current iPod firmware only works with the latest iTunes and QuickTime, right? I think that's when they changed the DRM to make life harder for the stripping programs. Maybe they're just completing that changeover.

SiliconAddict
Oct 22, 2004, 10:02 AM
Apple have allready made enough concessions to the music industry by limiting the number of times DRM AAC files can be burned to CDs,

Umm no. There is NO limit on the number of times a track can be burned. There IS a limit on the number of times a playlist can be burned in which case simply move one song up or down the list and the count goes back to 0.

taking out network sharing.
Huh? This feature is still there. You just have to be on the same subnet as the computer running iTunes. :confused:

Give it a rest. Apple has the best DRM on the planet short of NO DRM which is Never going to work for online stores.

Designer147
Jul 9, 2010, 02:02 AM
Hey everybody,

A good alternative to pimp your iPad is to stick a Skin on your device. You can create your own Design or choose one of hundret design in our collection. Itīs very easy to stick it on your iPad with a Tutorial that DesignSkins offer on the Homepage. Also the Sticker protect before nasty scratches. The easiest way to get a iPad Skin (http://designskins.com/design-folien/ipad-skins/) is to go on the Website and create your own design. The design must represent your Style! You can get more information of her Homepage. This is absolutely my favorite iPad Skins Provider.