Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PNutts

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
I see comments that bumpers are overpriced and am curious why folks feel that way. I'm going to buy one because I don't want a full case or screen protector and the bumper will protect against drops.

ref26

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2008
Well, most 3rd party cases are $30 or under for full body coverage, not just sides.

lorenwade

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2008
I see comments that bumpers are overpriced and am curious why folks feel that way. I'm going to buy one because I don't want a full case or screen protector and the bumper will protect against drops.

Because it has Apple on the package.

Zinger314

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2010
After looking around, the Bumper is reasonably priced, since most other brands have hard-cases for $30 as well.

Soft cases are a different story, but that's a personal preference.

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
I am guessing you will see bumpers on ebay and a few sites at around $5 each it's up to you if you want to pay $29 or $5 I would try each and decide if one is better or the same.

lorenwade

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2008
I actually think it's a good deal, really. It's made by Apple for an Apple product, which means it will work as advertised. And did you guys know that bumper cases provide for better drop protection? Cases that cover the whole phone push the vibrations into the phone causing damage. Bumpers don't do that, they absorb more. ;)

rKunda

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
Well, most 3rd party cases are $30 or under for full body coverage, not just sides.

It's not like companies adding that extra backing adds any significant cost. The bumper isn't anymore overpriced that all the other $30 plastic cases.

sl1200mk2

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2006

Just a guess, but I'd think there's $5 or less (probably more like half that) in design, marketing, packaging, shipping (in scale) and materials for the product. That's just an insane profit margin for what essentially amounts to an ounce or two of synthetic material.

Apple has every right to sell them at whatever price they want. The market will either accept it (certainly looks like it has) or it'll fail. If you're happy paying that price, then it's certainly 'worth it' to you. I bet Apple sells a boat load of them, especially during launch when there's few competing products.

Personally, I've bought accessories like this (I have an incase model now) and feel like it's a rip off even though I like the product. $30 for a couple millimeters of plastic that cost $2 tops to make... I mean, really? Yet, I bought it.

CarloVonSexron

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2005
Everywhere
Just a guess, but I'd think there's $5 or less (probably more like half that) in design, marketing, packaging, shipping (in scale) and materials for the product. That's just an insane profit margin for what essentially amounts to an ounce or two of synthetic material.

Is there a case for which that isn't true?

gldelx

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2008
http://www.grovemade.com/products/4g-iphone-case nothing synthetic about this one ;)
4gmockup_1_large.png

sl1200mk2

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2006

Hardly any and that's largely why the market is stuck at the price point it is. Everyone is willing to pay the premium because Apple products as a whole viewed as such. I'm really not complaining that much, but the OP asked if people think it's a rip off and I do. There's lots of things I think are rip offs that I'll still buy, but largely because there's little other choice.

bli625

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2009
I'm buying the bumper simply because there will not be many options at the Apple Store on launch day. I need something to calm my paranoia until my Wrapsol Ultra arrives. :D

Sweetbike40

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2007
NY/NJ
I'd have to see it in person to decide. It looks 2tone and I thought I read somewhere the volume buttons on the bumper were metal which would make the price right. I like the idea that they are to protect the buttons yet still true to the real buttons. I'm just not liking the idea of covering the whole antenna metal part. It's what makes the phone so cool looking.
I have the Apple case for the iPad. Although it's ugly I find it is the best for function. Can't find anything else as good function wise.

Also with the bumpers..... I wonder why Apple designed these like this. Makes me wonder if they feel the edge is fragile n should be protected in case of fall.

8mpg

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
Because it's just an overzied rubber band that cost less then a dollar to make?

ding ding ding

Its a silicone band that goes around the phone. The packaging probably cost more than the actual product. I know when I bought a silicone case for a Blackberry Pearl, the price at Best Buy was $14.99. I got it for employee costs of $2.45. Now that is cost + 10%. So cost is realistically $2.20 or so... Now the manufacturer has to make money after shipping around the world, employees, etc.. The cost for the cover + packaging was probably $1 or so.

It seems like iphone people seem to wipe their butts with $100's... $30 for a rubber ring? You can buy the Meritline one that is a case with no front protection for $2.50 shipped.

glen e

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
The great thing about the free market is that the market will determine if it's overpriced. If it does not sell per their projections, they will lower the price.

And you can never do a bottom up approach on pricing. I'll bet the phone costs about 50 bucks to make and program. It's the $200K Apple Corp salaries your paying for to advance the concept, not the phone.

Simple as that...some of you guys gotta start thinking like the mfr if you want to see how things happen the way they do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.