Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CaptainCaveMann

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 5, 2004
I want to buy a laptop to replace my pc and i really like the new ibook. My pc has a 1800 amd athlon processor,120 gig hard drive,128 mb nvidia graphics card,52x cdburner.I use my computer for basically web browsing,talking to people,word processing,games such as ut2004,halflife,warcraft 3,listening to music and burning cd's.I want to replace this thing thats littered with cords with a laptop.Do you guys think the ibook would be a good laptop to do it with?

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Speedwise, it should feel - on the average - very similar. Snappier in many ways, but the slower hard disk will make its presence known - as it would on most laptops. The graphics card isn't as good, and of course the burner will be slower. UT2K4 will be slower. Half Life... umm.. might have to forget about that. WCIII, however, will play very nicely.

Many of these sacrifices are ones you'd make with any laptop in the iBook price range, so they're to be expected.

On the plus side, the iBook is a fantastic deal when you look at all you get for the price, and I think the communications-oriented stuff you mention will be much more fun on the iBook. Wireless portability, tough case, etc.

Basically, games (aside from WCIII and the like) will suck or not exist. But - in spite of that - you will be amazed by how much you'll love the iBook.

mms

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2003
CA
For most uses, it will be fine. If you use the entire drive, you should probably opt for a large external firewire one to go with the iBook, since IIRC it only comes with around a 30GB drive. Games will be adequate (but not as good because of the immense difference in video cards).

eRondeau

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2004
Canada's South Coast
You're Gonna Love It!

My 14" 1GHz iBook has been my only computer for almost a year. It is absolutely the best purchase I have ever made. My recommendations: max-out the memory, get Airport Express, get the Apple Bluetooth mouse & keyboard. I also have an external Firewire HD and an external DVD burner. (I also have a Playstation-2 should I feel the need to play video games.)

You will rapidly get used to checking your email and favorite websites from bed, your patio, or wherever else you are. You will absolutely fall in love with iTunes and iPhoto and all the other iLife software. You will enjoy the raw speed of Safari or Firefox and soon recognize what an inferior product Internet Explorer is. You will forget all about viruses and spyware, because they are virtually nonexistant. You will find yourself showing off to your friends, because your $1300 laptop can do amazing, fun, practical things that their $3000 top-of-the-line Pentium cannot.

You will stop worrying about your computer, and start enjoying it.

You're gonna love it!

CaptainCaveMann

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 5, 2004
I currently am using 28 gigs of my 120 gig hard drive haha! I have about 2000 songs plus albums and lots of pics and about 30 music videos and warcraft 3 and other programs.I forgot to mention im using 512 memory on my pc now and im pretty happy with it it works pretty fast. So i think 512 on the ibook i should be good to go.Sad that i have to kiss the games goodbye though but then again games can be a pretty big waste of time so maybe its for the better haha. Also what about when i visit web sites for school and i need acrobat reader to view things? Does mac support things like this?When im e-mailing people and talking to them online and they have a pc and i have a mac is there anything thats going to be different or look different since im using a mac? Will they be able to recieve mail and instant messeges from me? :eek: haha

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
CaptainCaveMann said:
I currently am using 28 gigs of my 120 gig hard drive haha! I have about 2000 songs plus albums and lots of pics and about 30 music videos and warcraft 3 and other programs.I forgot to mention im using 512 memory on my pc now and im pretty happy with it it works pretty fast. So i think 512 on the ibook i should be good to go.Sad that i have to kiss the games goodbye though but then again games can be a pretty big waste of time so maybe its for the better haha. Also what about when i visit web sites for school and i need acrobat reader to view things? Does mac support things like this?When im e-mailing people and talking to them online and they have a pc and i have a mac is there anything thats going to be different or look different since im using a mac? Will they be able to recieve mail and instant messeges from me? :eek: haha
if you're using 28 gigs go for the 40gig drive cause it'll obviously grow, and formatted capacities...512 should be plenty obviously don't buy ram from apple unless you're squeamish. i know that warcraft 3 is available for mac but i'm not sure if it's a different cd, macs have preview for pdfs and such, adobe cs on mac has acrobat so i assume reader is available too? emailing and aim are the same across platforms, at least when it comes to actual communication. i hope i helped and enjoy your new mac!

CaptainCaveMann

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 5, 2004
Thanks to all of you guys for taking the time to respond to my post. You guys answered all my questions in depth and in detail thanks again :)

dubbz

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2003
Alta, Norway
CaptainCaveMann said:
Also what about when i visit web sites for school and i need acrobat reader to view things? Does mac support things like this?When im e-mailing people and talking to them online and they have a pc and i have a mac is there anything thats going to be different or look different since im using a mac? Will they be able to recieve mail and instant messeges from me? :eek: haha

There's Acobat Reader for Mac, but using Preview work just as well.

For e-mail, you can use Mail.app which work just fine, too.

For instant messaging you can use iChat (or Adium if you have friends who don't use AIM).

No need to worry about the basic stuff. Gaming is the only weak point, but I guess you can't have everything. WarCraft III should work, and I believe WarCraft III comes on a hybrid CD with the Mac version included.

CaptainCaveMann

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 5, 2004
dubbz said:
There's Acobat Reader for Mac, but using Preview work just as well.

For e-mail, you can use Mail.app which work just fine, too.

For instant messaging you can use iChat (or Adium if you have friends who don't use AIM).

No need to worry about the basic stuff. Gaming is the only weak point, but I guess you can't have everything. WarCraft III should work, and I believe WarCraft III comes on a hybrid CD with the Mac version included.
What is adium? I use aim messenger and msn messenger and yahoo so i will have no problems? Can i just download the messengers streight from the web sites and just click on the mac version or soemthing?

dubbz

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2003
Alta, Norway
CaptainCaveMann said:
What is adium? I use aim messenger and msn messenger and yahoo so i will have no problems? Can i just download the messengers streight from the web sites and just click on the mac version or soemthing?

Like PlaceofDis said, Adium can do AIM, MSN and Yahoo, so you don't need to download three different messengers. Instead of having seperate lists, they're all in the same list, regardless of whether you friend use AIM, MSN or Yahoo. It's very cool :)

CaptainCaveMann

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 5, 2004
What about how aim has its own window and screen and look of the im box and msn has its own looking box and stuff like that and they each have their own features like expressions or u can view the persons profile when you use the mac prog adium to view all of your buddies from any program doesnt it cancel out all of the features that come with each messsenger?? This is confusing does anyone have a screen shot of what this looks like :confused:

J.Allen

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2004
Adelaide, South Australia
AL-FAMOUS said:
in a word......

explain...

a lot of experienced Mac users have said yes... i agree but you seem to think different but offer no explanation why not

1: games (especially one as complex as UT2004) will not play well on an iBook
2: Games don't play as well (ha to do with refresh rates and brightness) on LCD's as on CRT's
3: the Athlon 1800+ with AGP graphics card will walk over an iBook in any benchmark.
4: You'd be giving up 80GB in harddrive space
5 I'm not sure how fast the CD burner is on an iBook, but I'm sure it's not as fast as a 52x one you have.
6:Should I stop?

ok 1 more
7: bang in a second optical drive in your current PC (maybe even a Dual layer DVD burner) and copy stuff on the fly, or bur Dual layer DVD's.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.