Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aiqw9182

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2010
"PC Processor usage by manufacturer"

They also show "Mac Hardware ownership" at the top when you go to PC only. The only stats that change with the drop down menu are the ones below it.

jedivulcan

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2007
The Mac specs are more consistent with a bit of diversity coming in from the iMac and Mac Pro users. A large majority use 9400m for gaming, which isn't surprising since for a time they were in every Mac under the sun.

AMD chips are an unsurprising minority. It might change a bit if there's ever a Linux client. I guess there might be a few system builders that prefer AMD machines over their Intel counterparts.

Flash SWT

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2009
Houston, TX
What I find interesting is the fact that my wife and I have had Steam for Mac running since the day it was released and have yet to get the Hardware Survey dialog to submit our results.

aiqw9182

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2010
What I find interesting is the fact that my wife and I have had Steam for Mac running since the day it was released and have yet to get the Hardware Survey dialog to submit our results.

It's accumulated automatically. If you have Steam and own some games, you are included in the survey.

Flash SWT

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2009
Houston, TX
Well then that is different then the behavior on the Windows side of Steam. In Windows you will periodically get a pop-up asking if you would like to participate or not. If you agree it collects the stats and then displays the information that has been gathered and again verifies you would like to upload the information.

Gathering the information automatically with no user input seems like a privacy violation outrage waiting to happen and I would be fairly surprised if Valve has changed the method they use on this point.

aiqw9182

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2010
Well then that is different then the behavior on the Windows side of Steam. In Windows you will periodically get a pop-up asking if you would like to participate or not. If you agree it collects the stats and then displays the information that has been gathered and again verifies you would like to upload the information.

Gathering the information automatically with no user input seems like a privacy violation outrage waiting to happen and I would be fairly surprised if Valve has changed the method they use on this point.

http://www.valvesoftware.com/privacy.html

I believe you get asked when you first make your account, but really... why the hell would it matter? Are you afraid of someone knowing you have a dual core and thinking they might do something malicious with that information?

Flash SWT

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2009
Houston, TX
http://www.valvesoftware.com/privacy.html

I believe you get asked when you first make your account, but really... why the hell would it matter? Are you afraid of someone knowing you have a dual core and thinking they might do something malicious with that information?

As someone who has used Steam on Windows since the very beginning I can tell you it isn't just the first time you install that the hardware survey dialog pops up. I have had it request participation numerous times over the years.

And while yes I have agreed to participate every time I have been asked, that doesn't mean I think it is OK for ANY program to collect information about my system and "phone home" without asking me first.

aiqw9182

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2010
As someone who has used Steam on Windows since the very beginning I can tell you it isn't just the first time you install that the hardware survey dialog pops up. I have had it request participation numerous times over the years.

And while yes I have agreed to participate every time I have been asked, that doesn't mean I think it is OK for ANY program to collect information about my system and "phone home" without asking me first.

What has it been since Steam for the Mac has come out? Six weeks? :rolleyes:

And I could understand where you are coming from if they are taking system information that contains personal information but they aren't.

Flash SWT

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2009
Houston, TX
What has it been since Steam for the Mac has come out? Six weeks? :rolleyes:

You're freaking kidding right? This right here shows you have no clue what you are talking about. If you pay attention you'll see I specifically said "Steam on Windows" in my first sentence of that quote.

Steam was first officially released on September 12, 2003 but was in beta prior to that, so I've been using Steam for just about 7 years.

aiqw9182

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2010
You're freaking kidding right? This right here shows you have no clue what you are talking about. If you pay attention you'll see I specifically said "Steam on Windows" in my first sentence of that quote.

Steam was first officially released on September 12, 2003 but was in beta prior to that, so I've been using Steam for just about 7 years.

Apparently you can not comprehend. I knew you were talking about Windows, in which you mentioned over the YEARS of being asked if you want to participate in the survey. That was my point.

Flash SWT

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2009
Houston, TX
Apparently you can not comprehend. I knew you were talking about Windows, in which you mentioned over the YEARS of being asked if you want to participate in the survey. That was my point.

And again, yes I have used Steam for 7 years, and over those 7 years I have been asked to participate in the hardware survey numerous times "over the years." What do you find inaccurate about that statement?

Obviously I didn't mean years on the Mac since my very first post in this thread was specifically about how I have yet to get the hardware survey dialog on the Mac.

aiqw9182

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2010
And again, yes I have used Steam for 7 years, and over those 7 years I have been asked to participate in the hardware survey numerous times "over the years." What do you find inaccurate about that statement?

Obviously I didn't mean years on the Mac since my very first post in this thread was specifically about how I have yet to get the hardware survey dialog on the Mac.

This is getting ridiculous. I never said your statement was inaccurate. You said that you've been asked in a time period of over 7 years(lets put it in bold just to make sure you know). Steam for Mac has been out for six weeks. What part of this conversation do you not understand? If Steam for Mac has been out for 7 years as well, then sure complain all you like. But it hasn't. It's been six weeks. Not even a year.

Flash SWT

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2009
Houston, TX

This is getting ridiculous. I never said your statement was inaccurate. You said that you've been asked in a time period of over 7 years(lets put it in bold just to make sure you know). Steam for Mac has been out for six weeks. What part of this conversation do you not understand? If Steam for Mac has been out for 7 years as well, then sure complain all you like. But it hasn't. It's been six weeks. Not even a year.

You're right, it is past ridiculous, done wasting my time after this post. Yes, Steam for Mac has been out for six weeks however this thread is about the hardware survey which has been around for far longer then that.

I explained how it worked on Windows, after which you rolled your eyes at my statement of "over the years" which obviously annoyed me. If the point you were trying to make is the hardware survey works differently on PC and Mac that would be one thing (I still haven't seen evidence on this point), but you focused in on the six weeks vs. years aspect to which you were wrong.

I have more experience with Steam then the majority of users on this board. If you want to ignore my input that is fine, but it has been appreciated in other posts. I'll admit to finding it a mix of comical and annoying when people act like Steam is some brand new invention that first debuted on the Mac very recently.

aiqw9182

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2010
You're right, it is past ridiculous, done wasting my time after this post. Yes, Steam for Mac has been out for six weeks however this thread is about the hardware survey which has been around for far longer then that.

I explained how it worked on Windows, after which you rolled your eyes at my statement of "over the years" which obviously annoyed me. If the point you were trying to make is the hardware survey works differently on PC and Mac that would be one thing (I still haven't seen evidence on this point), but you focused in on the six weeks vs. years aspect to which you were wrong.

I have more experience with Steam then the majority of users on this board. If you want to ignore my input that is fine, but it has been appreciated in other posts. I'll admit to finding it a mix of comical and annoying when people act like Steam is some brand new invention that first debuted on the Mac very recently.

For someone who has used Steam for 7 years you sure are over complicating this. It's really a simple concept. Over the years, you've gotten asked to participate in the Steam hardware survey on Windows. Again, if Steam for Mac had been out for years, then sure complain all you like. It hasn't. It's been out six weeks and you're complaining about not being asked whether or not you want to participate in the survey. The frequency of before being asked again is likely longer than six weeks, I really can't see why you can't grasp your head around this concept.

Flash SWT

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2009
Houston, TX
For someone who has used Steam for 7 years you sure are over complicating this. It's really a simple concept. Over the years, you've gotten asked to participate in the Steam hardware survey on Windows. Again, if Steam for Mac had been out for years, then sure complain all you like. It hasn't. It's been out six weeks and you're complaining about not being asked whether or not you want to participate in the survey. The frequency of before being asked again is likely longer than six weeks, I really can't see why you can't grasp your head around this concept.

Man, if you had just come out and said that to start with we could have saved everyone some time. Please re-read my first post, nowhere in it did I complain. I said I found it "interesting." I'm not sure how you interpreted something itching my curiosity as complaining.

Interesting because I assume they would have asked everyone to participate right away to help get a better baseline of the Macs in use. Now they very well may have some fancy formula and have found that sampling anything more then 25% for example doesn't affect the percentages.

HawkEye40, I apologize that I've helped drag your original thread so far of course.

aiqw9182

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2010
Man, if you had just come out and said that to start with we could have saved everyone some time. Please re-read my first post, nowhere in it did I complain. I said I found it "interesting." I'm not sure how you interpreted something itching my curiosity as complaining.

Interesting because I assume they would have asked everyone to participate right away to help get a better baseline of the Macs in use. Now they very well may have some fancy formula and have found that sampling anything more then 25% for example doesn't affect the percentages.

HawkEye40, I apologize that I've helped drag your original thread so far of course.

You were not complaining in your first post but you certainly did in the posts that followed. I figured it was implied you knew what I was talking about when I said six weeks.

aiqw9182

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2010
geez

this thread was nicer when it had numbers that weren't years...

both of you, ****!

The thread was already over after my first post. If you didn't want to read anything that ruined the threads 'niceness' then you should've stopped reading after I already answered the thread starters question.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.