Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TalkBinary

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
I'm looking to make a game with similar graphical characteristics as the game "Edge" on the AppStore. In essence, it needs some of the following:

• Geometric shapes with the ability of rotating, pitching, yawing
  • Camera that views down on the world and user can manipulate
  • Ability to use Blender to import models, environments

The only thing I've seen close to this has been SIO2 - Free Open Source 3D Game Engine. Is there anything better and actually free? This one requires a $49.99 license fee to eliminate their splash screen and any notion of using their API.

I'm fairly new into iPhone Programming but have been programming for awhile already. I already have used Ogre/Blender to create a simple RTS/Tower Defense game for Linux/Windows so I already have some experience making some games.

BigJimSlade

macrumors member
Dec 16, 2005
iPhone is a fully supported platform on Ogre 1.7. Any particular reason not to use Ogre again?

TalkBinary

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
And using straight up OpenGL is already out of the question?

No. Let me rephrase my question a little better...

What's the best approach to making a 3D game?

If OpenGL ES is a suitable approach, I'll consider it. Does it support importing of Blender models? I've used OpenGL for course work purposes.

BigJimSlade said:
iPhone is a fully supported platform on Ogre 1.7. Any particular reason not to use Ogre again?

As far as I remember, Ogre is a graphics and not a game engine (About Ogre). I'd consider using Ogre if there isn't a more suitable engine.

Right now I'm just trying to find out the options I have. I haven't ruled anything out yet. I just want to know what would be my best option before I begin.

TalkBinary

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010

nnash

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2010
I've heard good things about Unity3D, most of the top games in the iPhone store were made using it. It's also the program that my college uses in its game development course.

TalkBinary

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
I've heard good things about Unity3D, most of the top games in the iPhone store were made using it. It's also the program that my college uses in its game development course.

Hmm...I'll look into it but the entry price point is a little steep. ~$400 I think? I might just stick to OpenGL ES.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Unity is worth its weight in gold. Its a GREAT program. You will easily make your money back as far as the time is money thing goes.

It's amazing how much time unity saves. Import your models, create a few scripts, and you are good to go.

CocoaBean

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2009
You can use Blender and the SIO2 game engine (both free).

Tony Mullen has written a great book on it - search Amazon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.