Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bieser23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
Had my laptop stolen and had all of my music synched on apple tv. I am trying to get the music back onto my new laptop

I installed patchstick and updates to the rescuestick version on apple tv.

Now what? I cant seem to figure out how to actually get my music back onto my computer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

tom1971

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2007
Send us an Email so we can send you the Manual on how to rescue your Data. Maybe Ron forgot to attach it.

Terry W

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2007
NYC
Had my laptop stolen and had all of my music synched on apple tv. I am trying to get the music back onto my new laptop

I installed patchstick and updates to the rescuestick version on apple tv.

Now what? I cant seem to figure out how to actually get my music back onto my computer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

I need to do the same (hard disk crash and never-quite-got-around-to-getting-time-machine-to-work-properly) but have two quick questions.

1) I assume I need to purchase the full version of Patchstick, and then run rescuestick?

2) I read on the rescuestick instructions that ATV renames the media files. Does that include music files? My concern is that I move my music back and iTunes has no idea what the music is... Sorry to sound like such a newb but appreciate the help.

Tom1971, you are prolific in your efforts to spread the good news about patchstick. They ought to pay you. :)

bradandbree

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2010
2) I read on the rescuestick instructions that ATV renames the media files. Does that include music files? My concern is that I move my music back and iTunes has no idea what the music is... Sorry to sound like such a newb but appreciate the help.

Can't help with your first question, but I can address the second one. Yes, ATV organizes all sync'd files in a truly bizarre tree of directories, finally ending in a file name that is impossible to decipher. That's the bad news. The good news is that it doesn't alter the metadata. So if you have a song file that includes artist, album, genre, etc., that information is intact. So now when you retrieve that file off the ATV back onto your computer and (re)import it into iTunes, it appears in iTunes the way it always did. This leaves you with a collection of files that have ridiculous file names, but if you have your files "organized" in the preferences panel of iTunes, it will recreate artist and album directory organization.

Hope this helps, and good luck with that recovery.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.