PDA

View Full Version : Does my problem warrant a reformat?

boynigel
Jun 20, 2010, 05:42 PM
i have an old g4 1.25 GHz w/an 80 gig hard drive that is nearly full. lately, both safari and firefox crash every couple of minutes. if i'm on youtube watching a video, it will crash even sooner. i'm wondering how to fix this issue and am considering wiping the hard drive clean by doing a reformat. wondering if i'm on track, or if this is too extreme a measure. if i DO reformat, what's the best way to go about it? btw- i'm running tiger 10.4.11

Sun Baked
Jun 20, 2010, 05:51 PM
Get a new external drive, backup that drive and offload a bunch of the data onto the external.

Having a nearly full drive on Mac OS X will cause problems.

Shouldn't need to reformat.

boynigel
Jun 20, 2010, 06:47 PM
the vast majority of my data is pics and videos in my iphoto library. is there any way, within i photo, to retrieve data from a hard drive other than my system hard drive? maybe this question would be better for the "apps" section of this site, but just thought i'd throw that question into the mix...

zen.state
Jun 20, 2010, 07:40 PM
It's always a good rule of thumb to leave at least 10% free on the boot drive. Your 80GB would format to 74GB and change.

I am guessing you have less than 7GB free right?

boynigel
Jun 20, 2010, 09:14 PM
12.18 GB as i write this.

zen.state
Jun 21, 2010, 12:21 AM
12.18 GB as i write this.

It's certainly not a lack of space issue. For that size of HD you have more than enough free for a healthy drive. Must be something else.

Personally I do a reformat at least twice a year. If you choose to do that and have 12GB free on a 74GB drive then DVD is a good and cheap form of backup. You only have about 60GB data - OS size. Only about 15 disks. Toast Titanium is a great backup app for DVD backup. Lets you span large amounts of data over as many disks as you need. Then when you need you can put it all back to the original state on the HD.

An external HD is much easier but almost much more expensive than 15 DVD's.

Hrududu
Jun 21, 2010, 12:30 AM
Personally I do a reformat at least twice a year.
Dang man, thats intense. I haven't needed to reformat that frequently since my days of running 8.6 on a Powermac 7500. Why do you do that so much?

zen.state
Jun 21, 2010, 12:37 AM
Dang man, thats intense. I haven't needed to reformat that frequently since my days of running 8.6 on a Powermac 7500. Why do you do that so much?

I never NEED to. It's just overkill preventative maintenance.

I find that fresh data is happy data. For years I have had habits like this but it has paid off because I never have software issues. It only takes an hour to do the OS re-install and data transfer. Just a 120GB boot partition and not my whole 3.5 TB. :)

CubeHacker
Jun 21, 2010, 11:38 AM
What version of Safari are you running? Have you upgraded to the lastest version yet? I had some crashing problems that was fixed by updating to the latest version.

Also, it sounds like flash might be causing your crashing problems, since both Safari and Firefox crash. Try installing an adblocker which blocks flash and see if the problem persists. You can also try trashing your browsers preference files and see if that helps any. Since your problem is limited to only an application or two, I don't see the need for a reformat.

boynigel
Jun 21, 2010, 03:32 PM
What version of Safari are you running? Have you upgraded to the lastest version yet? I had some crashing problems that was fixed by updating to the latest version.

Also, it sounds like flash might be causing your crashing problems, since both Safari and Firefox crash. Try installing an adblocker which blocks flash and see if the problem persists. You can also try trashing your browsers preference files and see if that helps any. Since your problem is limited to only an application or two, I don't see the need for a reformat.

i primarily use firefox. version 3.6. i thought maybe it was a firefox issue because things got ugly when i updated to this version a couple of weeks ago. tried safari, but safari crashed in under a minute as well. version 4.1, which i believe is the highest you can go with os tiger. i just installed mozilla ad blocker 0.6.7 and i still crashed w/in a minute. it's so bad that i'm writing my responses in text edit and then copying/pasting to this forum because i'd crash before i could type my whole response!

boynigel
Jun 21, 2010, 04:12 PM
It's certainly not a lack of space issue. For that size of HD you have more than enough free for a healthy drive. Must be something else.

Personally I do a reformat at least twice a year. If you choose to do that and have 12GB free on a 74GB drive then DVD is a good and cheap form of backup. You only have about 60GB data - OS size. Only about 15 disks. Toast Titanium is a great backup app for DVD backup. Lets you span large amounts of data over as many disks as you need. Then when you need you can put it all back to the original state on the HD.

An external HD is much easier but almost much more expensive than 15 DVD's.

this computer's dvd only PLAYS dvd's. time for another external hard drive i guess...