PDA

View Full Version : iPhone first charge - how long?

IndianGuy
Jun 21, 2010, 01:23 AM
How long it takes to charge iphone first time? or does it come fully charged?

monksealpup
Jun 21, 2010, 01:29 AM
I usually charge it for 2-3 hours initially. It takes like an hour to load all my music and crap on anyway, then you can just play with things on the device while it's still plugged in. Typically the first batches come like 80-90% charged (they don't expect them to sit on the shelf, so they charge past the typically 50-60% point).

lorenwade
Jun 21, 2010, 01:30 AM
I usually charge it for 2-3 hours initially. It takes like an hour to load all my music and crap on anyway, then you can just play with things on the device while it's still plugged in. Typically the first batches come like 80-90% charged (they don't expect them to sit on the shelf, so they charge past the typically 50-60% point).

Also, as a quick note... it's always best to completely deplete your iPhone's battery the first time.

Hellishness
Jun 21, 2010, 01:32 AM
Also, as a quick note... it's always best to completely deplete your iPhone's battery the first time.

So use it with basically nothing on it, and when it dies, plug it in and sync all your stuff?

rwd hero
Jun 21, 2010, 01:34 AM
You have to plug it into your computer to use it. Its going to be kind of hard to kill the battery with the connect to itunes display.

lorenwade
Jun 21, 2010, 01:38 AM
So use it with basically nothing on it, and when it dies, plug it in and sync all your stuff?

That's what I will do, yes. It completes an entire charge cycle and maximizes your battery.

You have to plug it into your computer to use it. Its going to be kind of hard to kill the battery with the connect to itunes display.

Of course. For those of you who activate it at home... sync your stuff and then deplete it. ;)

ontheDL
Jun 21, 2010, 01:38 AM

Charge it completely, then drain it completely. When you sync is up to you.

lorenwade
Jun 21, 2010, 01:40 AM

Yep! That would be even better for those of you receiving home delivery.

Hellishness
Jun 21, 2010, 01:42 AM

So my best bet would be to buy it and have it activated in-store, go home, plug it in and let it snyc, which will likely take a while, and then use it until it fully dies and fully recharge it?

Deako
Jun 21, 2010, 01:43 AM

This made me LOL. Yeah sure, leave it to deplete for 200-300 hours while on standby, then sync and start to use it. ;):D

lorenwade
Jun 21, 2010, 01:50 AM
So my best bet would be to buy it and have it activated in-store, go home, plug it in and let it snyc, which will likely take a while, and then use it until it fully dies and fully recharge it?

No. You're taking this way too literally. I'm trying to give some general advice on maximizing your battery. If you have a chance to deplete the battery and recharge completely, do it. Sync it first, do whatever. It's your phone. ;)

Hellishness
Jun 21, 2010, 01:55 AM
No. You're taking this way too literally. I'm trying to give some general advice on maximizing your battery. If you have a chance to deplete the battery and recharge completely, do it. Sync it first, do whatever. It's your phone. ;)

Haha thanks :) I'm just excited lol.

monksealpup
Jun 21, 2010, 01:56 AM

This is not true. Please stop spreading this (I have seen it in other threads).

Read here: http://www.batteryuniversity.com/partone-12.htm

Scroll down to "preparing new li-ion for use".

My recommendations are to charge it for 2-3 hours initially then use as normal after that. Plug in whenever convenient (e.g. next to your bed while sleeping every night) and full discharge followed by full charge once every 1-2 months.

Background: the reason I recommend the initial full charge is presumably the 0% point is set before charge up at the factory. But the circuitry doesn't necessarily know the 100% point, so you want to give it ample time to settle that out through trickle charge + initial chemistry changes in the cells. Should take like 1 hour to charge to 100% on the display, but I give it an extra 1-2 for the battery/circuitry to adjust that 100% point to what the actual charge density is in the cell you're working with.

I'm an electrical engineer fwiw (best to pay attention to someone with a ChemE M.S. or Ph.D. over me, though).

lorenwade
Jun 21, 2010, 02:00 AM
This is not true. Please stop spreading this (I have seen it in other threads).

Read here: http://www.batteryuniversity.com/partone-12.htm

Scroll down to "preparing new li-ion for use".

My recommendations are to charge it for 2-3 hours initially then use as normal after that. Plug in whenever convenient (e.g. next to your bed while sleeping every night) and full discharge followed by full charge once every 1-2 months.

Background: the reason I recommend the initial full charge is presumably the 0% point is set before charge up at the factory. But the circuitry doesn't necessarily know the 100% point, so you want to give it ample time to settle that out through trickle charge + initial chemistry changes in the cells. Should take like 1 hour to charge to 100% on the display, but I give it an extra 1-2 for the battery/circuitry to adjust that 100% point to what the actual charge density is in the cell you're working with.

I'm an electrical engineer fwiw (best to pay attention to someone with a ChemE M.S. or Ph.D. over me, though).

Thanks for the info. ;)

However, a full discharge/charge will reset the digital circuit of a 'smart' battery to improve the state-of-charge estimation.

Straight from the site you just gave me. :confused:

monksealpup
Jun 21, 2010, 02:06 AM
Thanks for the info. ;)

Straight from the site you just gave me. :confused:

Yes, the full discharge resets the 0% point, and the immediate full charge resets the 100% point. Hence doing this every 1-2 months (since the cell chemistry changes and the new "depleted" state may be 1% with the old calibration. Likewise, the new "full" state may be 98% with the old calibration. The full discharge tells the circuitry "hey, next time you charge, check that full/100% point and compare to what you have stored".).

100% and 0% mean nothing to the circuitry. They are looking at voltage, charge/discharge current, and current over time. The 100% and 0% are for the user, so we develop fancy circuitry to make a meaningful map of those numbers (a linear percentage scale) from what's going on electrochemically (a highly non-linear function; see also: graphs on the site I linked).

iphonerXx
Sep 26, 2010, 01:10 PM
I recently bought iphone 4 I plugged in it's first charge then when it's %50 charged the electricity gone for a minute then I plugged it again and charged it to %100. Did I decrease the battery life? If I did what can I do now?