PDA

View Full Version : Uses for Power Mac G5

masterjedi73
Jun 21, 2010, 07:21 AM
I just purchased a mac mini because of intel software related issues. Do you have any creative ideas of things I could do with my G5?
:)

Hellhammer
Jun 21, 2010, 07:25 AM
HTPC, media server, torrent slave... Depends on what you do/need. It works fine as storage, just grab some HDs and put them in and store your data there

masterjedi73
Jun 21, 2010, 07:31 AM
How would I use it as a storage device?

zmttoxics
Jun 21, 2010, 08:09 AM
Preferences -> Sharing.

wesrk
Jun 21, 2010, 01:05 PM
Seems like your G5 could be use for so much more. If you don't have any more use for it, and it seems like you don't so far, sell it. Let someone else take full advantage of that bad boy.

macgeek18
Jun 21, 2010, 02:53 PM
Seems like your G5 could be use for so much more. If you don't have any more use for it, and it seems like you don't so far, sell it. Let someone else take full advantage of that bad boy.

Exactly,I had a dual 1.8 with 1GB of ram for 6 months as my main machine with dual monitors and that thing kicked butt,I may in the end sell my G4'S to grab another. :) I'm drooling over a dual 2.5 right now. :)

to the OP,use that bad boy as a FW external HD or home entertainment media center,there great for that. :)

violindoug
Jun 21, 2010, 03:30 PM
Preferences -> Sharing.

Along with doing that, couldn't you also track down a version of OS X ... Server Edition?

zmttoxics
Jun 21, 2010, 03:34 PM
Along with doing that, couldn't you also track down a version of OS X ... Server Edition?

Paying for the server edition will get you no added benefits for home file sharing (really doesn't for corporate roles either).