Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mholt33

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
I have an Insignia tv and I have connected it to my macbook with the HDMI-DVI cord, mini displayport to DVI adapter, and with a stereo cable. I can see my background of the computer on the tv and I can see when I open system preferences. Why can I not see a dvd or hear something from my itunes?

GfulDedFan

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2007
Indiana
I can see my background of the computer on the tv and I can see when I open system preferences.

You have the external display setup in extended view. You'll need to drag a window from your MacBook over to the tv. It will probably be to the right side or the left side.

Why can I not see a dvd or hear something from my itunes?

Can you see the dvd on your MacBook? If so, drag the window as above.

Can you here anything from any application? It could be the cable, volume/mute or the tv settings. The cable should go from audio out (headphone) on your MacBook to audio input on the tv.

johnnyham

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2010
I don't know if that particular brand has a dedicated audio port for each HDMI port, so you might want to check the manual or play around with it. I have an old Sanyo HDTV and the HDMI input requires audio to be piped in using the adjacent component input.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.